Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Been really into this podcast recently, after being recommended the episodes on Trump and the Iraq war, which are still some of my favorites. Are there any more episodes on recent political history stuff?

also it's amazing how boring schools make history seem, if they threw in just a little bit of the hosed up stories that The Dollop covers I think there'd be a lot more people interested in history in general.

also

Midnight Voyager posted:

It isn't so much a revelation thing, but Jack Parsons has the most incredible series of twists from beginning to end until Gary's mind is just so blown that it can't be blown anymore.

And then Dave blows his mind one more time.

gonna listen to this one now

edit: also want to say that their intro is kind of terrible, but that's alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Serf posted:

the episode on opioids is pretty infurating

Yeah, I just listened to those the other day. It's amazing how much people's attitudes on drugs have evolved over the past century or so (and also medicine and understanding things like addiction)

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

Giant sack of flour, why not

Heck, I'd bid on it, there she pops!

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

The one about the leather man and the comet panic one are also good. The Rube and jet pack madness are probably the best possible introductions to the series as a whole though.

As long as you like the format and their style of comedy I think its hard to go wrong though. The only episode I can remember really disliking is the one on Centralia, because Gareth spends half the episode just being like "Why didn't they just put the massive underground anthracite coal fire out??" which really got annoying

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

All the recommended episodes are awesome, but really what I suggest is listen to ones you think sound interesting and go from there. There are very few outright bad episodes. The one that I loving love is "247 - The Falling Pilot." I was so compelled by that episode that I sat in my car for 15 minutes just to finish it.

Hah, I forgot about that one. I listened to it while walking to/from the grocery store and had an old couple out walking their dog look at me like I was crazy because I was just walking down the street laughing while listening to it.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

There are a lot of good ones honestly. Also conspicuously absent from these recommendations is the Emu War, and the world's greatest sack of flour

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

Eh, this one I wasn't that big on because they spend the whole time just being baffled at the concept of a charity auction. Like, the actual item is a little weird, but it didn't come across as the mind-boggling thing that they were making it out to be.

I can understand that, for me it was a case of the story being entertaining enough in its own right to make the episode worth the listen

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Veskit posted:

Really I want to know what the gently caress is the deal with penguins, and did they ever do a hat podcast?

There's the Straw Hat Riots episode

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

HW Bush episode completely gone

How cruel the world can be

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Just listened to the Errol Flynn episode,. Apparently I skipped over it for some reason

anyway yep that was exactly what I expected (except for the bit about the ducks in the beginning because there's no way to expect something like that)

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I like to make chebureki and pirozkhi, which are two types of meat filled dumplings. I have not tried making an english style mince pie, though this episode had me looking at recipes for them

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Neither, really. It's its own brand of pie-based lunacy (also spoiler alert the Puritans were insane)

More in common with the straw hat riot though, in that it involves a thing that its hard to picture people getting worked up about today

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

The Piedras Negras jail brake one (357) is my favorite from within the past year I think. Just a good old fashioned Comedy of Errors Dollop

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I have an unhealthy fascination with podcasts that make me sad/angry at the real world.

heck, :same:

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

I hope the Dollop covers the Gunpowder Plot some day.

They're doing a show in London in November, so maybe that'll be the topic? We can hope at least

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

It's been a long time since there's been a Dollop where the whole I had a feeling of "how is any of this real" while listening to it

*the whole time

he edited, hours later

Revins fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 18, 2019

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Elon Musk will almost 100% be the subject of a Behind the Bastards at some point. Though The Dollop has had plenty of episodes about people who emigrated to America so its still a possible topic

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Mr. Rob Soylentdude is one of the least relatable human being I have ever heard information about, on the level of the most depraved serial killers in history.

That this dude found success by giving in to his neurosis that cooking and eating food like other people is beneath him and creating an unpalatable, questionably produced nutrient paste is bizarre and hilarious

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Baller Ina posted:

God I hate the phrase side hustle. Any cutesying up of despicable poo poo gets my blood boiling.

There's a podcast was advertised a lot a month or two ago called "Side Hustle" (I think, it was something like that). From the ads it sounded like the podcast was just "let's glorify side hustles everyone wants a side hustle everyone needs a side hustle gently caress YEAH SIDE HUSTLES WHO NEEDS FREE TIME" and it made me want to die a little

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

mike12345 posted:

doubt it, he got banned

also, what a stupid idea

lol, I haven't been on twitter for a few weeks. what did he finally get banned for?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Yeah, they're probably off for labor day. Wouldn't surprise me if Dave didn't mention it anywhere.

I do have England episodes to listen to. That I probably would have listened to already if they were just put on the main feed, which I feel like they've done before, like with the Iceland or Australia ones maybe?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I kind of had a hard time enjoying this episode due to the constant riffing on "it's just nutmeg and cloves, what's the big deal?" Its a history podcast and ignoring the fact that spices were a huge deal at the time just seemed willfully ignorant from them

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

I'm sure that this request has been asked before, but I didn't see it in any recent posts: I started listening to the Dollop when they dropped their episodes on Trump, and while I'm not a regular listener (the audio recordings from some of their live shows tend to be a turn-off for me, so I usually end up skipping those episodes), my favorite episodes have been about other assholes like McCain, Bush, Reagan, etc. or events like the Veterans' Stand or the Third Wave. Does anyone have any recommendations for similar episodes?

The one on the Resnicks for sure. It's an infuriating one though. Also you'd probably like the one on John Delorean

oh and Proctor and Satan (364) is a fun one

Revins fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 27, 2019

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

While we're talking about our favorite episodes, Otto in the Attic is a personal favorite of mine. Just a good old fashioned batshit insane story involving bologna, huge breasts, and murder

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Yeah all the UK episodes were great. Though everything about witch trials is very :smith:

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Adolphus Cooke is an all-time banger for me. Incredibly funny, weird and Irish. Everything I love in a Dollop episode.

Yeah definitely the hardest I've laughed at a dollop in a while

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

The Deleter posted:

Holy poo poo Eddie Haymour, this one is a trip.

E: oh my god Bobcat's story at the end, it's like a smollop at the end of a dollop

That story instantly made the episode an all time favorite for me. It's got everything: dinosaurs, knights, Pee-wee's Big Adventure, oral sex, and horrifying revelations that you almost became a registered sex offender

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I tried to just check the price on a ticket to the show in my city but it was already sold out. I'm pretty sure I looked on the first day they announced the date on the show. Must have missed it the previous week :shrug:

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I couldn't finish this last episode. By the time it got to the clips of Arlen Specter I was too pissed off to continue

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

Maybe it says a lot about me and my mental state that I came out of that ep thinking "Man, finally a light-hearted story. Haven't heard one in months in this podcast!"

Dude committed the chillest airjacking in history and became a folk hero, a good episode

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

The ones they have been doing on Ben Shapiro’s lovely novel are great

yeah, they're nice palate cleansers

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I remember an episode recently where the main audio was super quiet then the intro kicked in and it was so so so much louder than the rest. like it can't be that hard to normalize volume levels

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

the butter crime is also underrated, that's a good'n

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

beats for junkies posted:

Hey, guys. I have a great idea.

We should rob Loomis.

I'm just joking. Unless, you know, you're into it.

:hmmyes:

Ha ha no one would ever expect that. I mean hypothetically

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

flesh dance posted:

In contrast to the latest, if anyone's in need of an episode that's pure levity instead of intricately detailing some element of hell world, I highly, highly recommend #211 The Tichborne Situation. I randomly picked it to relisten to without remembering what it was, and holy poo poo is that episode bonkers hilarious. I love the eps with Wil Anderson. I've never checked out any of his own comedy; maybe I should

Giving this one a revisit while playing some rimworld because I apparently never finished listening to it and couldn't remember anything about it

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

They talk about how Truth Butts was just a minor character that really had no bearing on the events of the story but Dave couldn't resist in like the last minute of the episode

also that was a good loving rec, I completely passed over that ep and its real good

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I honestly think 317 - The Butter Crime is my favorite episode. Gareth is really funny in it and its an overall silly episode

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

passing over the Marion Zioncheck ep previously was a huge mistake

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

All the reverse ones are really good and they should do more of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007