Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

I think Dave tries to be gareth a little too hard but what he thinks is playful banter comes off as having a bad attitude. It didn't bother me too much.

I liked all the reverse dollops thus far. I still listen to the escape bit from the Pulgasari ep due to how utterly bewildered Dave gets.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Rodyle posted:

frankly it seems high time for Gary to followup his oral history of Dominos with a look at old Papa John

:agreed:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Fished the Erroll Flynn ep as part of my random walk through the archive. Holy poo poo, the guy was a loving MONSTER.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Think they are ever going to cover the construction of the Sydney Opera House? Lots of bungling (initial "plans" were essentially a glorified napkin doodle, stuff had to be torn down and built back up due to rushed construction and bad planning), pettiness (Jørn Utzon's primadonna moments, Robert Askin and Davis Hughes making Utzon's life hell), WTF moments (the maestro that was forced to resign over an affair with an occultist) and some rather sad moments (Utzon never went back to Australia after getting fired and thus has died never having seen the Opera House in person).

They must have had requests to do it. Wonder if that will be the Sydney Live Show.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 17, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Slanderer posted:

it's sometimes well researched, but sometimes they just repeat long-disproved aprocryphal poo poo. it's worse when Henry gets heavily invested because he'll ruin interesting stuff by trying to shoehorn everything into his "aliens are part-physical part-psychic transdimensional entities which are also ghosts and bigfoot and can be summoned by jacking off" theory

Yeah, I give a hard pass to episodes involving the supernatural (though the Jersey Devil one was good since they mostly focused on the origins of the legend which are pretty wacky in themselves. The Men In Black one, on the other hand, was utterly idiotic).

Best episodes of LPOTL IMHO in no particular order are H.H. Holmes*, Charles Manson, L. Ron Hubbard, Aum Shinrikyo**, Oaklahoma City Bombing, Rasputin and Jim Jones. Most of these could work as Dollop episodes, especially the Jim Jones one as they also go into Jim Jones' surprisingly progressive views and whether he truly believed them only to go into the deep end or if he was just using them to manipulate people.

* Be sure to approach this one as mostly fiction as since the ep came out, further research claims that most of what HH Holmes supposedly did (namely the torture dungeon) was likely fabrication although the fact that he was a textbook sociopath who murdered his business partner and his small children is undeniable.
** Warning, contains multiple instances of Henry's "hilarious" Asian accent.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 5, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the jim jones series is one of their bests. id say get this book too because alot of there stuff is taken from it.

https://www.amazon.com/Road-Jonestown-Jones-Peoples-Temple/dp/1476763828

I got the book because of the ep. I'm about half way through it, fascinating read.

DangerDummy! posted:

I have a very strong dislike of ching-chong type schtick for reasons too dull to enumerate. Having said that there's something about Henry's Ng impression (ngpression?) that completely tickles me. This is problematic for an entirely different reason, because Ng is a monster, and there's something downright endearing about how he does the character.

I think it's the twinge of Eric Cartman in the voice that does it.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 8, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

The real answer is that at the end of it, you're left punching at a tragedy that claimed 900 lives without a way to deflect to a larger societal problem. It just wouldn't be funny.

Yeah, it's probably this. Keep in mind that pre 9/11 this was THE biggest loss of civilian American life in a single deliberate act.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

since your reading the book and the podcasts. where do you think it all went wrong. I think he always had it in him but the drugs and his general dickheadedness /stress finally cracked him. he had to keep to many lies going at once as well his "i have to control everything" and that just hosed him. and it sucks because he could have been a great dude, he did great poo poo in indiana and other places.

I think he was mostly sincere in wanting to help people (yes, the Hitler thing as a youth was weird but a lot of kids outgrow that stuff. Heck, when I was a kid I'd watch the Batman TV show always hoping Batman would get horribly murdered in those death traps and would loudly claim Draco Malfoy was the best Harry Potter character) until he visited Father Divine and decided he wanted the sort of power and riches he got from his followers for himself. Add the drugs and the aforementioned control freak tendencies and you have yourself a recipe for tragedy.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 8, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

mrfart posted:

I thought they did.
But I guess I'm thinking of another cult?

You're probably thinking of their recent Synanon ep. Dave mentioned that the rapid response in shutting down Synanon once they started trying to kill people with rattlesnakes was due to Jonestown still being fresh in everyone's minds and the feds didn't want a repeat of that.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Seconding that rec. I mention that podcast whenever I can. My favorite eps so far are "Hitler: YA Fangirl" (which focuses on Hitler's favorite author Karl May, a guy whose story must be heard to be believed), Albert Fish (mostly because his guest is a comedian who happens to be descended from Fish. It features a hilarious moment when Evans shows her clips from the guy who managed to obtain Fish's infamous letter to Grace Bud who must also be heard/seen to be believed), The Qadaffi ep (where we go from his rise to power that was essentially a comedy of error to his sci-fi story) and Alex Jones (where they play some of his most deranged clips).

My biggest problem with it though is the stupid Doritos running gag, especially since the show already has ads that often have several seconds of him leading to them. I'm honestly starting to wonder if he's being sincere.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 14, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Guys, sorry to bring up Behind the Bastards again but a new ep just dropped:

It's about Steven Seagal.
Guest starring Seanbaby.

I haven't listened yet but it HAS to be great otherwise we truly live in hell. Will keep you posted.

EDIT: Five minutes in and I'm already holding back laughter.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 16, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

Well,at least he can't be as bad as Errol Flynn.

"Human trafficking"

Oh.

Edit: Okay, he's less evil than Flynn but that's a loving low bar to clear.

I'm guessing the next episode will go into things like the sex slave dungeon so get ready to potentially have that opinion changed...

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I think by the end of Ep 1 he's already past Flynn territory. Looking forward to Part 2. Seanbaby did not disappoint.

EDIT: I hope they go into his infamous energy drink at some point.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 16, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

I was born in 1981 and apparently Ronald Reagan was my imaginary friend. My Mom used to set me in front of the TV to watch the Gipper speak. I have always had a reverence for Reagan my whole life. I know that he's a piece of poo poo, I hate his politics, but I'm really scared to listen to those episodes :(

I dunno if it’s better or worse for you that those episodes solely focus on the AIDS crisis and not the MANY other terrible things he did.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Part 2 of Steven Seagal ep has dropped. Sadly no energy drink but we did get a snippet of Seagal's "blues" album. It's...unexpected.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Not Operator posted:

I remember reading that's because his martial art, aikido, is basically unbeatable. Or so he legitimately believes. When he was a big name, he insisted that no one would be able to touch him in a fight because of his superior style and directors tended to just go with it, for fear of upsetting the talent.

Which is hilarious as in the BtB episode Seanbaby (who has extensive experience in martial arts) repeatedly points out that Aikido is utterly worthless in an actual fight and the more showy demonstrations require the active participation of the "victim", hence why so far no serious MMA fighter uses Aikido (instead most focus on judo, BJJ, etc).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikido#Criticisms

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 20, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Wrestlepig posted:

I got a 4th hand story a while ago about seagal showing off an unbeatable technique for escaping a choke from the back to a couple bjj guys. they started choking and then seagal punches him in the dick, which probably hurts but doesnt do anything about the actual choke so it tightens and he poo poo himself. I don't know how much of it is true but I'm guessing at least 60%

They mention that exact same story near the end of Part 2 of the podcast (with the exact same caveat) so probably around 75%.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Meanwhile Behind The Bastards is talking about some hack sci-fi writer who started a self help group or something.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I would support a dramatic rerecording.

With James Adomian doing all the voices in the audience.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The live eps are also hit and miss for me. My favorite live ones are New York to Paris Race, John Batman, the Two Indiginous Actors, Reg Spiers, the Cereal Men, Boston Corbett and Otto in the Attic.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

The Animal Horror of Macquarie Island will always top my list

EDIT:

^^^ :hfive:

Haven’t listened to that one, I’ll give it a try.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Please report back your reaction.

That wasn’t very funny.

Well, I did laugh once or twice out of the sheer audacity of what was happening but that was it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Doomhammer posted:

Not finished yet, but holy crap today's episode is an all-timer.

I really loved it but the climate change discussion at the end put me on a despair spiral.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

That was Alice Roosevelt, and it was a good episode (and not soul crushing)

I immediately stopped listening when Gareth pointed out the decline of sea life, so I beg to differ.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress yes, a Dollop about John DeLorean. Was hoping they'd cover him and they didn't disappoint.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Now they need to do one about John McAfee

The Behind the Bastards ep on him pretty much had him covered IMHO.

I watched the Netflix documentary on him with my parents. Let's just say it got super awkward at certain points.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 28, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Personally I don't want them to ever mention anything that has any paralells to current events again. Everytime they do, I have to shut the episode off out of sheer depression.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I will say that the ep on the Know Nothing Party did strike a pretty good balance between "nothing has changed, time is a flat circle, we're hosed" and "Well, the current situation could be a LOT loving worse" for me.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

mike12345 posted:

Just listened to this. I thought he was a quirky funny libertarian guy, who does drugs. Ah well.

Turns out he's also a rapist and scat fetishist!

Even though the ep is explicitly titled "John McAfee is not funny anymore", I actually found it pretty funny other than those spoilered incidents. Especially his goofy rear end "escape" from Belize.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

By the time I finished the Errol Flynn so, I was absolutely floored and couldn't think anything other than "Errol Flynn was a loving MONSTER". It's pretty darkly hilarious that the urban legend of him being a Nazi still persists to this day when that seems to be the only atrocity he DIDN'T commit (and even then I wouldn't put it past him).

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Based on the end of this episode, the Amsterdam show is just going to end with Dave saying "You ENTIRE COUNTRY IS GOING TO DROWN", right? I was thinking of going but I guess I won't if it's just going to depress me.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 5, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Alaois posted:

Colonel Sanders would provide free catering to b movie productions in the 60s and 70s on the grounds that he could show up in the movie as himself and promote KFC

One of my all time favorite moments on The Cinema Snob was when he was reviewing some Nazi biker movie and Colonel Sanders suddenly showed up out of nowhere.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

terrorist ambulance posted:

Took a slide from really good (Bill Cosby, etc) to pretty bad lately unfortunately

It really depends on the episode I think. There have been some pretty good eps lately like Gary Young and the last days of L Ron Hubbard (which I was delighted to find ended with them discussing this piece of musical magic).

His new shtick of randomly throwing things and the yelling intros are pretty grating though. I guess he's doing these podcasts stoned now?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

this is easily the best dollop of all time, I must have listened to it like 6 times

the last time I really paid attention to it I really did have the entire outline of a movie adaptation start to finish in my head, it'd be incredible

They should make a movie out of that story and cast James Adomian as the German captain the fat reporter every single character.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I think the quality of the episodes really depends on the guests, the subject and even the general mood. As dumb as this sounds, I couldn't even get through one third of the first ep of the Mark Zuckerberg 3-parter because of the sheer number of "HAHA! Look at this nerd!" jokes.

My favorite is still the Steven Seagal one with Seanbaby.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

"Supernatural" - Ghosting in Victoria, Proctor & Gamble & Satan, America's First Ghost, The Convent in Charlestown (less so but kind of)
"What the gently caress" - The Beaver Drop, The Piedras Negras Jail Break, The Truck Nuts War, Moving Day, Mince Pies, The Loomis Fargo Robbery, The Sydney Cove Shipwreck
"Dave being Dave" - John McCain, George H.W. Bush, The Resnicks, Wells Fargo, Andrew Jackson, Representative Matt Shea, Operation Wetback, Feinstein and the Flag
"Gary being Gary" - Colonel Harland Sanders, The Landlord's Game

Gareth did a reverse dollop on George Lazenby

I would add John Delorean, Ludwig Leichhardt and Pilot Hans Bertram to the What The gently caress category.

EDIT: Also Lord Gordon Gordon and the Need a Hiroo Reverse Dollop. Also in WTF.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 1, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Just finished the Sydney Cove wreck episode. Look I consider myself quite progressive but why the hell do white people feel the need to say stuff like "white people are super shady"? I mean, does being an ally have to mean constantly debasing yourself and pointing out your original sin? I just don't see the point.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Jeez, 10 minutes into this ep and I'm already angry. Regardless of how lovely they can be, why do comedians ALWAYS resort to "haha look at this loving nerd" jokes when discussing tech dudes? Are we just going to demonize being interested in technology again?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

thotsky posted:

Why wouldn't you call lovely nerds nerds? They usually deserve it. Someone saying theyre into block chain is like a legitimate red flag.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also Tesla. It's frigging cultlike.

Ugh, I know a lot of people heavily into both. It baffles me.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Man, there should definitely be a Dollop on Scott Adams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Slanderer posted:

His son has night terrors because Dave keeps telling him that he’ll die from global warming before he grows up.

Well he’s right