Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Christ, last time I checked Morales was calling for new elections, with some arguable fraud having occured in the prior as per the OAS report. Now they're rounding up MAS leadership without charges? So much for a fair re-vote, ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Apparently a semi-derelict oil storage ship off the coast of VZ is taking on water and listing, with a LOT of crude aboard

https://gcaptain.com/photo-shows-fso-nabarima-with-severe-list-off-venezuela/

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

This is 2020. I fear hope. :(

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

From Wikipedia's article on Arce:

"On 27 October 2020, MAS legislators in the Senate used their two-thirds supermajority, which was due do expire for the first time since the implementation of the 2009 constitution, to make amendments to the constitution enabling the Senate to pass motions with a simple majority. Some opposition Senators left the session in protest. A total of eleven amendments were made to Articles 12, 53, 81, 94, 107, 109, 111, 167, 168, 169, which cover motions relating to the appointment of ambassadors, judges, the censuring of parliamentarians, army promotions, changing the agenda and exempting motions from the normal procedure, among others. Similar changes to allow for simple majority votes in the Chamber of Deputies where previously a two-thirds majority was needed will be taken to a vote on 28 October 2020. These amendments concern Articles 19, 30, 48, 76, 91, 103, 104, 134, 146 and 174.  The last legal session of the ALP before the transition of power in which the MAS maintained the two-thirds majority needed to make these changes is the 29 October 2020. Leader of the opposition, Carlos Mesa, condemned the votes, saying "In an unacceptable and illegitimate maneuver, the MAS changes the regulations of Senators and Deputies eliminating the requirement of two thirds for the approval of fundamental decisions in the ALP. Authoritarianism, abuse and the submission of the Legislative Assembly continue". MAS Senator Omar Aguilar supported the amendments saying "Are we going to block the governance of Luis Arce just because we lack three senators in this chamber?".

In this last session, the ALP will vote on whether to initiate trials against interim president Añez, seven members of her cabinet, five former cabinet members and seven other figures, including prominent members of the police and army.

Concerning the trials, Añez said "The MAS recovers its habit of prosecuting those who think differently. That is why it must be reminded that democracy is not only the rule of the majority. In addition, it is the government that adjusts to the law and it is the government that respects freedom." In August 2020, MAS Senators passed the so-called "Rooting Law" which would prevent former authorities at different levels of government from leaving Bolivia for three months after the end of their mandate. The United Nations said that this law violated human rights standards and that it "must not violate the presumption of innocence and due process, nor place an undue restriction on the right to freedom of movement, which includes power of every person to freely leave their country "

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

I mean it has abuse potential but yeah, elections have consequences, and so does failing at sustaining a coup d'état.

I'd really like to see the literal fash crew get it in spades...

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Academic ultra-leftists who had no connection to the masses.

Oh, C-SPAM posters then.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Ecuador election: Partial recount to decide who faces Andres Arauz

So this "recount" is about seeing who gets into the runoff. Arauz failed to get 40%, so there's a runoff in April. The second and third place candidates agreed to a partial recount.

Arauz got 32%, so he's the frontrunner, but:

quote:

Too close to call between Perez and Lasso
With 99.99% of the votes counted by Friday, Perez had been given a 19.38% share, a fraction behind conservative Lasso who got 19.74%.

https://www.dw.com/en/ecuador-election-partial-recount-to-decide-who-faces-andres-arauz/a-56556292

So unless there's more to this, the OP was doomposting and misunderstood or misrepresented things.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

How accurate is this?

https://brujuladigital.net/politica/rafael-quispe-es-sentenciado-a-2-anos-de-carcel-y-denuncia-que-quieren-inhabilitar

I can't read Spanish but apparently he was a whistleblower who did his job and is now being punished?

Faintly concerned he was appointed by Añez, but that's irrelevant to his case

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Jose posted:

lol at you defending yet another latin american coup attempt

You're a total waste to engage, and a liar to boot. If you can't respond to the article I posted and point out it's errors, shut the gently caress up.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 16, 2021

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Spice World War II posted:

The only "impartial" observers of the recount process will be fielded by the OAS, no other observers have been mentioned. The head of the CNE is a member of Patchakutik. The same OAS is happy to give press statements with only the second and third place candidate, while at the same time the Patchakutik candidate is shouting from the rooftops that there was massive fraud and that after the review process it will be shown that the first place candidate really only placed third, and that he himself won the election instead.

The announced votes from the first round are https://resultados2021.cne.gob.ec/
Andres Arauz - 32.71%
Guillermo Lasso - 19.74%
Yaku Perez - 19.38%

So the second and third place guys have calmly agreed to a recount on a chunk of the vote to resolve a gap of under half a percent as to who got second place, is that your understanding as well?

And whoever ends up in second place gets into the runoff in April.

This seems to enrage you. I fail to see why. Could you explain further?

You also point out that the OAS is happy to give press statements from "only" Lasso and Perez, but that the Patchakutik candidate is claiming he won the election and is being ignored.

My problem with your comment is that Perez IS the Patchakutik candidate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaku_P%C3%A9rez_Guartambel

This seems somewhat confusing to me you seem to be unaware of this fact, saying the OAS happy to quote him while also... not quoting him?

https://www.larepublica.ec/blog/2021/02/11/yaku-pide-revisar-votos-6-provincias-supuesto-fraude/

From the linked article Perez seems to be claiming he should be clearly in second place ahead of Lasso, not first overall. It doesn't even hint at supporting your claim that Perez is claiming "massive fraud" or that he won the election outright.

Could you post your actual sources (not randos from Twitter or angry Columbian ex-Presidents who aren't even talking about the election results, thanks) that support your claim that Perez is going around claiming he won the election nationally, and that Arauz was third? I can't seem to find any.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 16, 2021

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

So the accusation by Perez is that he deserves to be in the second round, and he beat Lasso, and he demands the CNE perform a recount as only Perez can defeat "Correismo", by which he presumably means Arauz is just a front for Correa (after getting dumped from the VP slot).

I went back a few pages in his Tweets, and I didn't see him accuse Arauz of not winning, can you point us at the relevant Tweets where Perez claims Arauz didn't place first? He seems to be claiming fraud putting Lasso in front by a fraction of a percent.

Other sources would also be fine - again, skipping randos on Twitter please.

I am guessing the real risk is that Moreno barely beat Lasso last election by 51% or thereabouts, and with him tanking his popularity it'll give a big shot in the arm to whoever faces Arauz in the runoff?

I looked at the polling on Wikipedia's election article, and it's hard to say much but it does seem pretty clear that apart from "don't know" that Perez's party was pretty clearly in third place, but personalities become more important in the Presidential election, I guess.

So in summary, Perez is alleging there was fraud to push him into third place behind Lasso, with various screenshots of tallies on his Twitter, demanded a partial recount, and got what he asked for.

I looked for non-US press articles on the situation and al Jazeera's article says "Perez has since alleged wrongdoing in the first round – without providing evidence – and said a recount would offer a chance “to demonstrate to the country that there is no fraud, that the electoral process was transparent”." at https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/2/14/un-calls-for-transparency-in-ecuador-vote-recount

https://news.trust.org/item/20210212233952-1xhcm/ says "Perez demanded a full recount after saying the vote had been manipulated, without presenting evidence of fraud. He argued that the data in the minutes of various electoral boards are inconsistent with data entered into the vote-counting system."

I am curious why the articles point out Perez has provided no evidence, is there somewhere we can all go review the evidence of fraud?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

On a positive note, this sounds wonderful:

https://venezuelanalysis.com/news/15109

"Mérida, February 1, 2021 (venezuelanalysis.com) – Venezuela has nominated Cuba’s Henry Reeve International Contingent of Doctors Specialized in Disasters and Serious Epidemics for this year’s Nobel Peace Prize."

I am sure they could use the money more than some prior winners.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Spice World War II posted:

https://twitter.com/Ecuador_On_Q/status/1362126157605466114?s=19

Venezuela is gonna help Arauz infiltrate and incite violence in the anti-fraud protests. The antifa did the capital riots defense, but in advance? If

Could you perhaps try to edit your posts for more clarity? This could be important, but it's frankly somewhat incoherent.

Thanks! The twitter source seems very informative though.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 17, 2021

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Are you telling someone to write better English in the Latin America thread

"Venezuela is gonna help Arauz infiltrate and incite violence in the anti-fraud protests. The antifa did the capital riots defense, but in advance? If" isn't "bad English", it's incoherent.

The twitter account he linked seems excellent though, so it was still a useful incoherent post.

Have a Cool Day, friend!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

So, the answer to my question is, "yes"?

I realize that this is a petty concern compared to the other lovely content in your posts,

The answer to the first part is "no", and as to the second part, feel free to post actual content instead of pointless insults?

I literally found that post incoherent. If

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Isn't he still attacking him from the left? Arauz threw Correa under the bus though and has been moving Ecuador further to the right.

I'm not sure left vs. right is an adequate framing on this. Perez has specific issues where his position is very dependant on the desire of his constituents.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Things don't look too good for Castillo. Keiko woke up smiling.

Any developments? Or was that just noise?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

shimmy shimmy posted:

Like trump, you have to take the report seriously, not littoraly.

Try harder with your shallow puns, don't coast.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Nucleic Acids posted:

Do you think Human Rights Watch will still consider Jenine Anez a political prisoner?

I see where HRW question the charge of "terrorism" against her but where are they saying she's a political prisoner? The abundance of evidence of murder and conspiracy, ordering the police to attack protesters, etc. will hopefully see the coup leaders punished anyhow but I don't know the definition of "terrorism" in Bolivian law.

Ironically it seems the coup charged Morales with "terrorism" so this may just be tit-for-tat posturing?

Off to Google the Bolivian legal code in the interim.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Nucleic Acids posted:

She lead a coup that tortured political opponents and genocided protestors, if anything deserves a terrorism charge that does.

Section 133 of the Bolivian penal code is apparently where "terrorism" is defined. From your response, neither of us know what it says... It's not like they have a lack of things to charge her with that hopefully see her rot in jail for the rest of her life.

Again, where did HRW call Añez a political prisoner? Anyone? Twitter? I can't find a source in Google. I wouldn't put it past them, but maybe someone claiming they did can provide a source?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Okay so:

http://www.oas.org/juridico/spanish/gapeca_sp_docs_bol1.pdf

Art. 133°.- (TERRORISMO). El que formare parte, actuare al servicio o colaborare con
una organización armada destinada a cometer delitos contra la seguridad común, la vida,
la integridad corporal, la libertad de locomoción o la propiedad, con la finalidad de
subvertir el orden constitucional o mantener en estado de zozobra, alarma o pánico
colectivo a la población o a un sector de ella, será sancionado con presidio de quince a
veinte años, sin perjuicio de la pena que le corresponda si se cometieren tales delitos
-----
Google:
Art. 133 ° .- (TERRORISM). The one who will be part of, act at the service or collaborate with
an armed organization destined to commit crimes against the common security, life,
bodily integrity, freedom of movement or property, for the purpose of
subvert the constitutional order or keep in a state of anxiety, alarm or panic
collective to the population or a sector of it, will be sanctioned with imprisonment of fifteen to
twenty years, without prejudice to the penalty that corresponds to him if such crimes are committed
-----

Actually I think the coup sounds *exactly* like armed force used against common security and with the intent to subvert to constitutional order.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Apparently Añez was just charged with 'genocide' for being in charge during the massacre of 22 protesters after Morales left. But since she was president Congress has to approve charges by a 2/3 majority and MAS lacks the votes.

Without digging further I assume this is why she was charged previously with crimes specifically taking place *before* being sworn in as president?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

So both of you are just going to leave QAñez lying on the table?

Depends if she actually commits suicide or not, I suppose.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/8/23/bolivia-jeanine-anez-stable-after-suicide-attempt-in-jail

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Thanks but I'm looking for like a newspaper

I've yet to find any English-language newspaper source I'd really trust more than certain Twitter sources. The major US newspapers are lip-locked to the Washington party line, and the UK aren't any real use.

During the coup against Morales and in the Peru elections there were some pretty decent sources on Twitter that seemed to be pretty even handed and more importantly informative in depth.

Like the US media still pretends Guaido is of any relevance whatsoever.

I like https://kawsachunnews.com/ personally.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 29, 2021

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

French is actually not that helpful in my experience

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Marenghi posted:

Some would consider condoning ukranian war crimes ghoulish and immoral.

Agreed, but Russian war crimes are vastly greater. Ignoring that fact and only condemning Ukraine would be truly ghoulish and immoral - literally overlooking genocide.

Good thing nobody's doing that, right?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

It may be a little more difficult for Ukraine to present a sympathetic case to South American leftists

A leftist who is happy to ignore actual ongoing genocide because they saw an upsetting tattoo on a victim is a pretty poo poo leftist. gently caress them.

Ed: Back in the early 90's, El Mozote and the exposure of the coverup by the US really formed my attitude to genocide apologists - if you're opposed to genocide, you're either opposed to it no matter who carries it out, or frankly, you're a hypocrite.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 13, 2022

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

The Mexican president claims to be anti-imperialist, but the USA is saying jump and he isn't asking "how high? " Curious!

Why are you only interested in the USA and not Ukraine?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Punishing coup plotters is "backsliding on democracy". Good thing the US would never have anyone try to overturn an election by violence!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

How much does it cost now? This page says $0.8/l which is :lol: probably shouldn't have been subsidizing fossil fuels

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/Argentina/gasoline_prices/

That's 1/3 the petrol price here in DK. Oof.