Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, this is the IBAMA fine for environmental damages. Now prosecutors are talking about much larger reparations, R$ 1 billion or so I've read.

Estimated between R$ 10 billion and R$ 14 billion in damages currently, or approximately seven dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The Syrian/Lebanese community in Sampa is mostly made of Maronites yeah (On other cities too, there's a big church founded by them near to where I live). Isn't there a sizeable Muslim population on Foz do Iguaçu and some cities on Goiás though?

There is in Campo Grande at least.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jesus gently caress, I better not wake up to a coup, military or not.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Elias_Maluco posted:

Protests are already dispersing, but sources say it had at least 20K in Brasilia, maybe 10K people in Paulista, and overall big protests in all capitals. All with barely no organization, called from social networks in a matter of hours.

Brasília, São Paulo, São Bernardo do Campo, Rio de Janeiro, Campo Grande and Belo Horizonte are not the capitals of every state. It is still a lot of people, but let's not throw truth to the wind.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

hoiyes posted:

Seems crazy that Moro would do something so petty that so thoroughly undermines his own credibility, impartiality (already pretty damaged) and opens him up for action against him. I read the lawyer that authored the Collor impeachment claim that even treason charges could be levelled. I guess it's the same arrogance as all the corrupt assholes on the anti-pt side, that the press will shield them from any scrutiny.

Another judge thinking he's above the law because he's been made into a meme.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Transmetropolitan posted:

Not true. PMDB was formerly "MDB" (Movimento Democrático Brasileiro = Brazilian Democratic Movement) and the only "legal" opposition allowed by the military dictatorship. Because of that and other things that I can expand upon if necessary, it inherited a massive ready-to-go political machine during the democratization process, managing to obtain an ample number of legislative and executive offices nationwide. It has been, ever since, the largest voting bloc in our Congress and has the largest number of State governments.

Yeah, PMDB is essentially "people from the dictatorship and their successors" and are pretty much a cancer festering in the republic thanks to their established connections.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Frionnel posted:

Help, i can't tell sarcasm from reality anymore

We're the butt of a cruel joke.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Cavemen Moroni Torgan, Bolsonaro's son and Marco Feliciano are as well.

They've stopped pretending that this is anything better than a circus.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Frionnel posted:

I keep hearing about people, even friends, getting harassed or attacked for wearing a red shirt or not thinking that Dilma should be impeached, so it's looking pretty bad

Yeah, the people I know from São Paulo have been mentioning that stuff. Not much around here, but I have a friend over there who's genuinely afraid of this leading to purges driven by public violence and an eventual civil war. He sort of fantasizes about fighting in a guerrilla, so I hope he's wrong.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Okay, the police has used tear gas to remove the anti-government protestors from Av. Paulista despite the earlier news that they wouldn't, so maybe this afternoon won't result in a gently caress off street battle.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Constant Hamprince posted:

The massive criminals in government (PT) got caught doing massive crimes by the massive criminals in opposition (PDSB).

And the massive criminals who will end up on top will be the ones better capable of protecting the massive criminals in control of the houses (PMDB).

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Badger of Basra posted:

Why is the word for carwash lava jato and not lavacarros :colbert:

It uses a jet to spray water or something.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

bagual posted:

Live feed of the pro-government protests in São Paulo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAZoS-J2KS4

just got home from the protest in my town, not as many counter-protesters as i had feared and the police was actually helpful managing traffic around the march, the government might have gotten a second wind today

Same here, local protest was huge and police was quite cooperative despite original fears. I've gone to most manifestations in this city and I think only the big day in 2013 had more people on the streets.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Frionnel posted:

That's my father, except for the guerrila part.

Not that he told you.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Elias_Maluco posted:

For those who arent up to date: the powerful PMDB, the vice-president party and member of PT coalition from the beggining, have just officially jumped out of the train

To be honest it is pretty difficult not to consider this a coup when the vice-president's party is leading the impeachment process and is involved in pretty much every corruption scandal the president is accused of.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

joepinetree posted:

Meanwhile, the Panama Papers are virtually ignored by Brazilian media. If you are wondering why, the heirs to Rede Globo are named in them, as are all major parties, with the exception of PT.

Edit: And now Temer has accidentally leaked the message he is going to deliver to supporters in case of impeachment (which I'd put as "almost certain").

Temer is a loving joke.

Is there anywhere other than some blogs and Carta Capital reporting on the Marinho dynasty being in the Panama Papers? I don't doubt the credibility of that and I don't doubt Globo is perfectly capable of imposing a media blackout on that, given they are by far the most powerful institution in Brazil, but would be nice seeing it from a source that wouldn't be dismissed outright by people in favour of the Impeachment.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

joepinetree posted:

A good post.

Thanks, that's a fine collection of information and I am glad you put in the effort to put it here.

When I saw the composition of the lower house I had the feeling these would be very long and painful four years, but turns out they might end up nightmarish instead. I do think popular pressure on corruption won't fade when Dilma gets kicked out, because people are very rilled up, but Temer certainly won't be impeached by this legislative no matter what is uncovered about him and PMDB is likely to give us the worst government in the history of Brazil for the next few years.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Frankly, we are hosting the Olympics. That always paints a target on a country.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

HardDisk posted:

Same here. It's super weird.

Some votes had the sort of fireworks reserved for goals in the world cup.

fnox posted:

Ok so it seems like Dilma is no longer President, at least in the duration of the Senate investigations. Once those investigations are concluded, the Senate will vote on either restoring or removing Dilma for good. The vicepresident, Temer, is now the president.

And Eduardo Cunha will be the acting vice-president. That will certainly go well.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Grouchio posted:

How much of a revoltuion/coup will be needed to eliminate Brazil's corrupt political system into something...saner?

Robespierre's reign of terror lasting a whole decade or so.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hey, a lot of those guys go way back to the Portuguese aristocracy that was granted lands in the colonies, can't fault them for valuing family!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Brazil is the country of the future, and always will be.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PSOL is pretty good and they have some decent names around the country for the city elections happening later in the year, it is just that they have a very small presence in the houses and the federal sphere, so they don't really show up in these conversations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

nerdz posted:

Hard to get too happy when you consider that this was made to increase Temer's popularity and Cunha's successor is not only his ally, but also investigated for corruption. If they had reason to kick him out at this point, they also had it before doing the impeachment votes.

Yeah, it seems like PMDB is using Cunha as a scapegoat to protect the rest of chamber from public pressure and scrutiny. Cunha still has a lot of influence, so if that is true I am looking forward to seeing those fucks tearing each other's eyes out.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It is a lot harder to graft money from investiments in education and health than in infrastructure.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Globo is the most prevalent cultural influence in Brazil, you can put it right alongside Football in terms of national institutions.

Also, loving LOL at the city of São Paulo.

São Paulo's deputies approve Day of Combat Against Christophobia, as Evangelics are a persecuted minority.

Best part is the argument.

(because Estadão doesn't let you copy and paste their articles)

"Today, the Christian, specially the Evangelic, has his opinions censored for some opinions. You have a minority being denied its rights, such as freedom of expression and, even, sometimes, freedom of worship. The Christian, today, can't say anything about homo-affection that he is characterized as an homophobe. In other words: he says he is against the practice of homossexuality, he's homophobic. You have this subject being very restrained," said the councilman, to exemplify the attacks that, according to him, the evangelic minority would be a victim of.

Christians are not allowed to be bigots and so they are being persecuted.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Don't you see, national unity and political stability are more important than justice, it is better to endure a disgusting status quo than to deal with the uncertainty involved in resolving historical ills of the nation.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Friendly Humour posted:

Are there people with names like Stalin Junior and Stallone De PG 20000 running for office in Brazil? Are those their real names? Are those real ads? I'm so confused

Yes.

A lot of the gimmicky candidates are for legislative positions (Stalin Junior is the exception as a mayoral candidate). Since a large number of Brazilians think the executive power does everything and legislative candidates get like 3 seconds of screentime during the electoral program there is a huge amount of candidates that run on having a memorable/funny theme so people will indiferently throw votes in their general direction come election day because they have to vote for someone. It is not unusual for it to work. The other successful legislative candidates are usually people with a ready made corral of voters: landowners, priests and influential families (who will also usually have a radio or TV affiliate under the family).

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Negrostrike posted:

It's funny especially because we're all descended from poor as gently caress Europeans, mixed with black in most cases, when some dream about being nobility or even royalty. gently caress my rear end.

Weren't the earliest settlers of the south mercenaries from central/east Europe hired by Dom Pedro to fight the Portuguese during our "independence" and paid with lands because he had no money to give them or was that pseudo-history I was told?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

nerdz posted:

The idea comes from a Thought Leader that's ranked above Nelson Mandela and even the surveyed people's parents

That's the funniest thing I've seen all year, like the whole list.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Now that PT and Cunha are out of the government corruption is fixed forever!!!!

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, it seems like PMDB is using Cunha as a scapegoat to protect the rest of chamber from public pressure and scrutiny. Cunha still has a lot of influence, so if that is true I am looking forward to seeing those fucks tearing each other's eyes out.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 13, 2016

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

punk rebel ecks posted:

Which party in Brazil is the best or "least worst"?

Serious answer, PSOL is pretty decent.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

icantfindaname posted:

so what's the deal with argentina, why has their modern history been so totally dominated by hilariously awful peronists? like i can understand other countries in latin america having bad populist management when the black or native people rise up and seize power, but argentina is all germans and italians? it makes no sense

You see, when an Argentinian is born they get a choice of two out of three qualities: Intelligence, honesty or peronism.

Dias posted:

Well, as of last week, meet the new Rio Grande do Sul Department of Public Safety (hah) Secretary, Mr. Cezar Schirmer himself! I'm not sure if these news made it to you guys already but hey.

Beautiful.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack of Hearts posted:

"Meritocracy" is literally bourgeois aristocracy, i.e. "rule of the best." The old aristocrats decided who was among "the best" by ancestry, now it's to be decided by how much money you have and which fancy college you got your degree from.

Actual meritocracy would require the abolishment of family and a ban on inheritance, so everyone has a relatively equivalent start. I wish him luck in achieving that pipe-dream, keep up the fight qnqnx! All you have to do is destroy the oldest institution in every social animal!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bread Pudding posted:

To be fair, I read that on The Intercept when it came out and thought "nah, this is going a bit too far, Temer isn't an idiot and wouldn't say it just like that" like Lucia did.

But no, the whole thing was officially transcribed by the government!

I'd like to see Fora Dilma anti-corruption activists comment on that, but damned if I can find them now.

ROTFLMAO

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Symbolic Butt posted:

I don't know about this view but.. It's kind of interesting the dissonance in how she holds liberal views for US and a reactionary attitude for Brazil. Are you saying that this is common among, I don't know what to call, "americanized brazilians"?

This is pretty much me calling her shallow but I guess this just reveals the different kinds of friends she holds in Brazil and USA.

Yes, it is a pretty good example of how people's opinions are shaped less by consideration and more by who they respect.

Or the editorial line of where she works, in this case.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah Brazilians you need a Robespierre.

Oh God, yes, we do.

Brazil had a lot republican (and separatist) revolts during the 19th century and they were all violently crushed. It is rather telling that the monarchy was deposed by the military and landowners rather than by a popular revolt (and a short time after abolishing slavery too).

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

We need someone to Lee Harvey Oswald these guys and dome them in their heads with a rifle.

It is a shame that when politicians start dying the military take it as an invitation to take over.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Badger of Basra posted:

Not only is this terrible public policy, but how are they going to hand out bribes now?

Infrastructure is not part of the PEC, I believe, and that's where you get the most graft, easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Magrov posted:

Clarissa Garotinho voted against the law and might get ejected from her party and lose her mandate, which would be cool.

Truly an exemplary democracy where members of parliment are free to follow their conscience without being strong-armed.

A greater pack of cowardly, greedy murderers has never been found.