Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Corridos are calling this "The Second Flushing of El Chapo", heh. Here's some news:

http://eldeforma.com/2015/07/12/es-un-hecho-chapo-guzman-compra-todo-grecia-y-se-da-asilo-politico-inmediato/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Israel had this tiny-party-problem because of generous Proportional Representation electoral systems. They bumped their entry threshold from 1% to 3.25% and really cut down a lot of single-issue campaigns by random rabbis. Which parties Israelis vote for, on the other hand, is another matter

India is currently going through the same thing as Brazil. Over the last fifty years the Congress party has been deteriorating by bleeding seats to regionalist parties.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Non Serviam posted:

Piñera won in Chile. Thank goodness.

i remember when humala was elected in peru and the civil wars were devastating

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Non Serviam posted:

The alternative was Guillier, who was backed by the far left parties (the "Venezuela and Cuba are great and we should follow their steps" crowd).

Some of the changes proposed by Guillier's coalition involved changing our pension and healthcare systems in a way that would, in all likelihood, bankrupt the economy and leave the country with a worse system on both fronts.

Chile has significant problems associated with income inequality and lack of opportunities. The extreme left has, through a populist discourse, attempted to rally support by making this kind of unrealistic promises.

I'd point at these issues as two of my main concerns.

lol jesus you kinds of people do exist

edit i was going over chilean twitterati with a friend who had lived there for a couple years, he said this type of poo poo was extremely common bordering on saturation:

https://twitter.com/aleja_jos/status/942523608563355649

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my friend says the active left is uneducated, unfocused and tied down by cashflow; they're willing to get their skulls busted but ideological organizing and national issues are slim

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i believe morales said he wasn't going to run, then changed his mind and called a referendum to overturn term limits. the referendum failed, then a short time later the supreme court nullified term limits and he legally ran again.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

such a simplistic view, must be a CSPAM poster

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

translating, the gist is that the opposition guy rejected the OAS' election observer plan; this is excellent for morales' credibility

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wobbuffet posted:

You guys say he is one of the opposition leaders but I have never seen him or heard about him until this thread. It's godawful that someone has a swastika on their car in Bolivia.

I still haven't figured out how to post videos here but La Paz is burning and it is burning because Morales supporters are lighting everything on fire.

Upload it to youtube and post the link here, that's by far the easiest

Efb

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wobbuffet posted:

And in that said tweet, there's a video of a policeman saying that there were Nazi vandals causing chaos in Santa Cruz. How this was linked to Bolivian opposition I have no idea.

oh my

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm concerned in the way angela merkel has consolidated her power

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

Well, besides, again, all the videos of them burning Wiphala flags, Camacho was vice president of Unión Juvenil Cruceñista, the fascists pictured, back in 2002-2004, something that, if you Google their name and his together, is apparently actually common knowledge since it shows up in shows up in all sorts of articles about him, even those favorable to him. It's not a secret.

yeah but we all know fascist movements are never popular enough to sustain radical change

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Looking up Peru's government it seems that almost every party is either center right or far right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnocacerism

:thunk:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

maoists who weren't good at making friends

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Liberate the Chimu from the perfidious cuzqueño imperialists.

lol this is me in vicky 1

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sometimes not having a port is a benefit

https://twitter.com/Saralasor/status/1375833312225284097

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

obama-trump feels like LBJ-Nixon in that way

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MrNemo posted:

I mean, the US actually sponsored an incredibly incompetent coup in Venezuela, gave moral support to a coup in Bolivia and huge moral support to a fascist like Bolsonaro. If you really think the Trump admin was better than normal I can only assume that you think doing some incompetent, mask off, support for fascists in Latin America on top of the normal US policies is better? Because generally Trump didn't stop normal US foreign policy actions, he just made a lot of public declarations that meant they stopped doing all the publicised humanitarian/aid type stuff and kept doing all the hard imperialism without oversight. So really, it's saying you think US imperialism is better if it's ignorable and they stop pretending to make any effort to improve the lives of people around the world.

what an awful loving post lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Obama was significantly milder on Venezuela than Trump.

i didn't realize obama lifted the blockades during his term

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jesus Christ the fascist lady almost won last election too in another nail biter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Peruvian_general_election

click one arrow to the right to see the previous election!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I mean they are a fascist party who rose to prominence because of the idea that the Spanish government were punishing rapists too much. This is probably as tasteful as they get.

lol thanks for a sec i thought it was an extension of matty g's outlet

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

well that post didn't inspire much confidence

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

joepinetree posted:

* I think they changed it recently, but here's the logo and name of a big Brazilian supermarket chain

"Navios negreiros" were the ships that were used in the African slave trade to Brazil.

that reminds me of the mexican cupcakes. they recently changed the name to "nitos"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Grouchio posted:

:bighow:

How racist are Peninsulares?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispaniola#Post-Columbian

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Grouchio posted:

I'm talking about Tennesseans of the 21st century not genocider Jackson.

oh sry my bad

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Elman posted:

No you see, it's not racist because there's white chocolate covered ones:

Nothing to see here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPm413wmIW4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UShiwymsX0w

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i cannot comment to (and most likely denounce) the political goals of the ETA but, in american terms, that was a W

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

no hay camino posted:

It doesn't help that Spain as a country is an incoherent mishmash of different people groups some of which don't speak Spanish and have been basically forced to be part of the state.

If you get rid of the lionizing narratives of Spanish history what will be left of Spanish identity?

potato tortillas

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Elman posted:

Don't get me started on those degenerates that cook them without any onions.

tenemos hablar, amigo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Redczar posted:

Give the north back to Peru

lol look at the department sizes, that's a desert with like five people

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there have been several liberal presidents of colombia, just no leftists

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i should have specified "after '58" :v:

edit oh he wasn't even president lol

edit2: also maybe he was colosio'd but was probably guiteau'd

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 5, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fnox posted:

You gotta be loving making GBS threads me at this point.

right? the threat from the US necessitates some interesting deterrence

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Chilean deviates more from standard spanish than Argentinian?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quarantinethepast posted:

It appears to me that the answer lies intrinsically in the difference between the peso and the dollar, because 96,000 dollars in the US is a reasonable salary for a professional.

this doesn't matter and is illusory; a good salary in norway is one million kroner a year. their currency by base number is weaker but they have higher living standards in their country than the us

anyway $5,000 per year seems super super low. a baseline professional job (working on a railway or in a car parts factory, pretty common blue-collar professions in mexico) will get you $10-15,000/year USD. a rural teacher with a bachelor's may be closer to $5k? not sure

hoiyes posted:

Is that not the monthly salary?

pretty sure 100k pesos a month would be for a prestigious university professor or a civil engineer, i think that sounds right

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i do think it's interesting in the seemingly unrelenting march of neoliberal capitalism, the hospitality industry should have had enough influence to end the embargo and push for investment on the island and they clearly do not. the embargo is illogical from a profit standpoint and is therefore untenable long-term

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sephyr posted:

party colleague Kim Kataguiri

I know he takes pride in his revacholian identity but binoclards don't make good fascists

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

why is nelson such a popular first name in latin america

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

growing up in texas i always thought sabado gigante was made in mexico lol, i never considered it was from south america. maybe that was abundantly clear but i was never fluent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there were a lot of great boobs tbh