Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

bongwizzard posted:

Um, how does grinding up ice sharpen anything?

Garbage disposal blades aren't like steak knives, they are meaty industrial chunks of metal. Running ice through helps polish, clean and "sharpen" them by making their job easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

colas posted:

Yeah, I might do that too. I got some disposal cleaner packets that do this cool blue foamy thing that smells great but I don't think it did much. I've never had one smell at all. I guess the previous owners never really gave a gently caress. It's not god-awful or anything, just a little bit of odor.

Seriously, just throw in a few ice cubes at a time and then cut up a whole lemon and feed that in after. It's all you need unless you have a plugged drain.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Farali posted:

I'm dying in the summer heat and all I have is a box fan. What could I get to cool down, something like freeze pads?

It's very doofy but I can attest to the plastic bucket with dry ice and a fan method.
Google that poo poo. Should cost around $30 and works pretty well for one room.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I really want to buy a rowing machine to toss in my garage and maybe use a few times a week.
Thoughts?

Amazon Prime preferred.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

signalnoise posted:

You'll definitely know your face better when you get used to a safety razor that's for sure

Yup. My first outage with a safety razor (which I will also 100% recommend) I learned that the hair on my adam's apple just does whatever the gently caress it wants.
That was an interesting day at work.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I only shave my neck and line the top of my beard. Last October I started wet shaving and I'm not even half-way through the cheap pack of razors I bought. If I spent $100, I would have enough razors for the rest of my life.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What's da best muthafucken metal water bottle on Earth? I drink so much of that sweetass hydro that I need a fluid chariot that matches my needs.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I pulled the trigger on a pure 40oz. Hydro Flask. That poo poo is expensive but it seems like they last forever.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There are a ton of DIY dry ice boxes you can make for dirt cheap. They do work very well for small spaces but can be a hassle to set up.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SaltLick posted:

I like Patagonia's Nine Trails. I believe they have another model as well.

Yeah, they have one called the Nine Tails but you first have to trap the soul of a demon inside a baby.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What about water proof/resistant Bluetooth speaker for the bathroom?

Mainly for podcasts so I can leave my phone in an adjacent room, away from the heat and moisture.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Digital Jedi posted:

Any recommendations on good computer speakers?

Logitech ones are cheap and last forever.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How dress are we talking?
Gold Toe makes some okay ones for cheap but honestly the best socks I own are the dumb novelty ones from The Sock Guy and similar companies.

Plus you get to flash some fun colors and designs every now and then.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Counterpoint:
Colorful socks are fantastic and a great way to break up the sea of boring business casual.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So are your feet and ankles swelling?
Maybe you need some arch-support insoles.
I use SuperFeet and they are worth the price.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

life is a joke posted:

Anyone try them "me undies" that are always advertised on podcasts? I'm usually fine with the $15 three-pack at H&M but I could stand to upgrade items that I have on me almost all day every day.

They are stupidly soft and don't ride up at all.
My biggest complaint would be that, as a dude, the boxer briefs want to separate my junk from my legs so badly that they end up pushing the mess forward and gives me a prominent buldge.

"But Inzombiac, that exactly what I want because I'm always trying to attract a mate!"
Good for you. I'm happily involved and would rather not have people staring at my exceptionally average twig and berries that have been tarted up like French dancer just before the war.

Under Armor makes something very similar and I prefer them a tiny bit more.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SaltLick posted:

MeUndies make butt and dick look good just get them

Truth. The Under Armor ones are more relaxed but it's all a matter of taste.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wait, some of you just unzip and shove your hand past the zipper, through the flap and pull your dick out?

Hahahahahah what

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pendleton.
Expensive but will keep you warm through anything.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

theHUNGERian posted:

Thanks! Will the classic and the vintage comforters keep me equally warm? It's a good idea to wash the comforter before first use, right? Any reason I shouldn't buy a cheap duvet cover from Bed Bath and Beyond for the Pendleton comforter?

I've never washed mine. It's wool from the moon and is amazing.
Some of them can be a bit scratchy so a cover or sheet is recommended for delicate skin.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

couldcareless posted:

French press just broke. Any goon recommendations for a new one?

Buy an Aero press. Slightly different but makes a better cup, imo.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hollismason posted:

I'm terrible with electronics. Whats a good Cable Modem for Xfinity/Comcast that also includes a built in WiFi / Router that's under like 100 dollars.

Honestly, sub $100 is asking a lot and a good combo is asking even more.
That is, unless there have been developments in the past year that I am not privy to.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

signalnoise posted:

I need a few brand recommendations for men's shoes that are very comfortable and interview-appropriate in the IT world, for 100 dollars or less. I used to like Tsubo but they went out of business.

I have a pair or Ecco that have held up very well over three years and only cost about $85.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mushinronsha posted:

Swiffer wetjet's where it's at

And when you run out of sample sheets, throw a rag on it because you're not fancy.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Scott Justice posted:

Clarks Bostonians.

Check these son' bitches out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IK3OR3A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can get them in black or brown. I actually bought both. Very comfortable. I am a teacher, I am on my feet all day, so I need comfortable shoes, these are the pairs I would re-buy if I wasn't planning on going up to 300-400$ tier shoes next. Check them out. They are very light weight and have very comfortable soles.

Counterpoint:
I bought some of those and, perhaps due to a manufacturing error, tore up my tendons and are 100% unwearable.
I could not return them to Macy's either since I had worn them on the street.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Etrips posted:

Maybe you have goofy feet.

I checked and it turns out that my Bostonians are great and I was thinking of some cheap pair I bought in a hurry.

So if you want good formal shoes, Bostonian and Ecco.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

.Z. posted:

Anyone have opinions regarding wool comforters vs down comforters?

I'm looking to replace my current ikea synthetic comforter and started down the rabbit hole of research. And the big two that popped out were down for fluffiness and wool for moisture wicking/temperature regulation. Not really sure what I should go with.

PENDLETON, AGAIN

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Furcifer posted:

Recommendation for a pair of in-ear headphones with a microphone? I've been using the one that came with my Sony Z3 for a while and I tore one of the earpieces apart. Need a replacement. Not looking for something extreme, but good value would be appreciated.

I only listen to podcasts and I find the Skullcandy Ink'd ones to be fine. They're only around $10 so it's okay to lose or break them. I've had a couple pairs and only one minor issue.

If you want something great for music, avoid them.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm looking for a big book on folk medicine. History, alleged treatment, as much as I can get.
Bonus points if the book doesn't claim that any of them work. Just as a neat historical reference.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's my line!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

colas posted:

Do they make beer glasses (pints, mugs) that stay colder if you keep them in your freezer? Just wondering, thought it might be possible.

Yes! There are double-walled ones with water in the middle that you freeze. Extremely good for root beer floats.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=freezer+mug

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What I need is a case with a kickstand for a Nexus 6P.
I like them slim because I never drop the thing and am not worried about SUPER TACTICAL toughness.
If it comes in an obnoxious color, that's even better.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Travic posted:

So I've started cooking a fair amount of rice for myself and I've grown out of doing it by hand. I'd like to get a rice cooker and lots of people including the OP are recommending the Zojirushi. I don't think i'm ready to spend that much on a rice cooker just yet. Any other good recommendations?

I had one of those and they are great but you could spend less on and Instant Pot pressure cooker.
Same results AND you can cook a million things in it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Eponine posted:

When I made rice in the Instant Pot it got rice starch water EVERYWHERE even though I rinsed my rice. What was I doing wrong?

You need less water than other methods. Don't go above 1:1 rice to water.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have socks knit from my dad's chest hair. Is that the same thing?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

signalnoise posted:

Unfortunately shoe fit is something that you can't really figure without trying the drat things on

Yeah. I used to wear Vans and they all felt different. The only brand that feels uniform to me in Converse.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm making a few specimen jars and I'm trying to find a fake brain that I can keep submerged in water.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Whoa, thanks :D

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ditch all that garbage and get an Aero Press.
Coffee derail! :classiclol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

m.hache posted:

I have an aero press. I use the Keurig to make the hot water for it but sometimes I'm in a rush and want to throw in a k-cup.

Acceptable.