Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

martinlutherbling posted:

I want to get my girlfriend the worlds most comfortable sweatpants. What ones should I get?

I couldn't tell you what the comfiest ones are, but I can help you narrow it down a little bit. Only buy your girlfriend fleece pants if you want her to sweat her balls off. Choose something made from normal breathable fabrics!

Edit: Honestly, my favorite sweats are some cheap ones I got out of the men's section at Target. They have ninja turtles on them. I got them to replace the Batman ones I had before that just wore out after a few years. I love them, but I doubt that's really what you're looking for...

Here's a product I like:

I have dry skin and my heels routinely get all dried up and crack and make it painful to walk. O'Keefe's Healthy Feet is the best product I've tried for this. Smear some on your feet before bed, pull some socks on, and go to sleep. I notice improvement within a few days and if I keep it up, I can eventually achieve normal looking feet!

I only started using Working Hands recently, but my hands are way nicer now than they were when I started, so I feel good about recommending this one, too. If you have open cracks on your hands or fingers it might sting a little going on, but I kind of like that sting.

Both creams have nearly identical ingredient lists; I don't know how interchangeable they might be. I still just use them where the lid says to because I enjoy following rules. :)

Julet Esqu has a new favorite as of 04:24 on Nov 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

My blender broke! It was a lovely Food Network blender that somebody gave me as a gift. Now I would like to take this opportunity to get something less lovely.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Christoff posted:

Doesn't fit that criteria at all but I'm excited to pick up this bad boy mentioned a couple pages back

Sonic Boom Alarm Clock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EX7LNM/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_TBDQub1HVGJHM

I got one of these for my dad a couple of years back because he's getting up there in years and he can't hear a regular alarm anymore. It does a pretty great job and I'd recommend it to anybody who tends to sleep through alarms. Put the puck under your pillow and just try to sleep with that thing jiggling the hell out of your head.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

couldcareless posted:

Thinking about getting a universal remote. From what I understand, the logitech harmony series is the recommended product, but their line is pretty diverse, with prices ranging from $70 to $350. I know very little about good universal remotes so I'm not sure what sort of features there are in the higher end models that I would care enough about to drop a few hundred on vs $100.
Can anyone with more experience with the remotes give me any sort of advice on what I should shoot for?

I don't plan on using it for any sort of home automation, just a receiver and TV mostly but if it works for game consoles (ps3, 360, wii u) that's a pretty big plus.

On the cheaper end of the spectrum, I have the Harmony 650 It's pretty good and does what I need it to. The only problem I have with it is that it really REALLY REALLY wants you to know how it works. Any time it loses power for any reason, like if you change the batteries or drop it on the floor, it will force you to go through the unskippable tutorial before you can use it again. It happens often enough to be pretty irritating, but it does everything else I want it to do.

There is a similar model Harmony Remote that is advertised as "rechargeable." Don't be fooled. The only reason it's rechargeable is it takes rechargeable AA batteries and you can charge it by plugging a USB into the remote. But you can't use the remote while it's plugged in, so you might as well get the regular kind and swap rechargeable batteries around in that one. I feel like the rechargeable version didn't force me to do the tutorial anywhere near as much, though, so that might be a consideration.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Speaking of smells, how about a good mouthwash that doesn't make my mouth feel like poo poo in the morning? What I mean by that is that I'm currently using Listerine Total Care (the purple stuff), which my dentist says is the most effective mouthwash on the market but in the morning my mouth feels like I've been out drinking a bunch the night before because the mouthwash is 20+% alcohol. Is there something I could be using that's just as effective but not as gross-feeling?

Wanamingo posted:

Act. Literally everybody go use Act.

Seconded. Act is a fluoride rinse and is good for your teeth as well as your gums.

Whether you choose Act or Listerine or some other kind of mouthwash, try to choose one without alcohol in it. It should say "alcohol free" or "sensitive" on the bottle. The alcohol isn't great for your tissues, long term.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Scruffy the janitor posted:

I'm looking for a decent shower head. The one I have now doesn't have near enough pressure. I don't need anything super fancy. I looked on Amazon, but wanted to hear some other opinions.

Get yourself a Niagara shower head. Easy to install. Great water pressure. Only 20 bucks. You're giving up the broad range of massage settings that many shower heads tout, but be honest with yourself. Do you ever really use more than one or two settings anyway? This will get the shampoo out of your hair.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tea Bone posted:

My old Sonicare is on its last legs, so I'm in the market for a new tooth brush. What's considered to be the "best" electric tooth brush these days?

Still Sonicare, though Braun/Oral-B offers pretty stiff competition at about the same price point. I say both brushes are great, so go with the one that has the bells and whistles you like best or that is easiest to buy your preferred brush heads for.

I'm using the Oral-B right now because the default brush size is more compact (though Sonicare does offer compact heads) and I feel like it's gentler. When I was using the Sonicare, I really liked that it has a little cage you can lock your brush head in and UV the poo poo out of any bacteria that are hanging out.

I feel you can't go wrong either way. Just don't cheap out on any battery operated spinbrush bullshit.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Anybody have a favorite form of ant murder? They are all over my bathroom and it's disgusting. I've been using Terro ant bait, but I think they've developed an immunity or something because they swarm the bait and lick it clean and I replace the thing every few days and there are still so many ants. So, so many ants.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I'm looking into a Life Alert-style emergency medical alarm for my parents. There are lots of companies out there. Anybody have experience with one that they like?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

It seems like there's a mattress review site that gets posted in these threads from time to time. Anybody have that?

Or, if anybody wants to give more direct advice, my current mattress is super old and is probably entirely made up of dust mites and dead skin cells by now. I'd like to upgrade to a larger size, but I don't have room for that at the moment. Whenever I get around to moving (and I don't know how many months/years that could be) I'd like to invest in a nice new mattress. In the meantime, though, my lovely mattress is doing my back no favors. If nothing else I want to buy a new foam topper, but I'm tempted to get a cheapass mattress to tide me over until I'm able to get something nicer.

Buying a cheap mattress online seems like a hilariously bad idea, but the little voice in the back of my mind keeps saying, "Well, your CURRENT mattress is definitely garbage..." Somebody please talk some sense into me before some goddamn podcast catches me in a moment of weakness with their advertising. Or, if by some miracle, these mattresses are ok, you can tell me that, too.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I went ahead and bought a Leesa mattress and I've been sleeping on it about a week or two. The first couple of nights were kind of tough, the mattress was really firm. I think it was still just decompressing, though. Now it feels great and I love it! I would recommend it if anybody is still looking to buy an Internet mattress.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

This guy knows his lemon substitutes. I figured I'd give this stuff a try after reading this, and it is the real deal. One packet in your glass of water tastes just like you squeezed a slice of lemon in there. I can see making this stuff into a habit. Anybody on the fence should give it a shot. They sell smaller packages on Amazon if you don't want to jump in with a 500 ct commitment; just make sure you get the True Lemon and not the lemonade from the same brand.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Sigma X posted:

Leesa, Tuft and Needle, Casper, etc. are currently the "hot newness" when it comes to mattresses - they represent a new generation of online-order, mattress-in-a-box companies that primarily make artificial latex "memory foam" mattresses. You're probably going to get a lot of people in the thread mentioning them. Each of the companies has a differing level of customer support and skeeviness (which is endemic to the entire mattress industry, don't get me started), but the primary complaint for all of them is that they are too hard, that they retain too much heat, and that they literally stink.

Personally (I have a spinal injury that's going to require surgery and weeks if not months of recovery time, so I haven't had it fixed yet) I can't deal with an excessively firm mattress. I went to a Mattress Firm (Mattress Firm, Mattress Warehouse, Sleepy's, etc. all being very similar), and laid around on different beds until I found a nice Queen set that didn't hurt my back. Laid on it for around 45 min reading a book until I was convinced it was good and was out the door for $1900. My recommendation is to do something similar - be prepared to spend a few hours on something you're gonna be spending 1/3 of the next 5 years of you life on, go to a store, try different ones, pick a couple that seems comfortable when you lay on them for ~5 min, and lay on them for a longer period. Get the most comfortable one. I ended up with a Stearns and Foster, but was also looking at a Seely and TempurPedic.

To add to this, I have a Leesa mattress. I like it. It cost under $1000. I am very happy with it as a mattress that cost me under $1000. I would buy it again if I didn't have a bunch of money to spend and I'd recommend it to friends looking for something inexpensive yet comfortable.

That said, if you're willing/able to spend more on your mattress, you probably should. You spend a lot of time in bed and it's worth an investment. Internet mattresses are definitely way better than anybody should expect, but there are higher quality options to be had if you're willing to pay for them.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

baquerd posted:

So many electric toothbrushes out there... what's the most economical option without sacrificing essential functionality?

The two big names in electric toothbrushes are Oral B and Sonicare. Both have multiple models at different price points and both are worlds better than a manual toothbrush. You're really not going wrong either way. Even for the cheaper models of brush, you're mainly sacrificing bells and whistles, not actual brushing power. Last I checked, the second most expensive model for each brush is probably where I'd go, but I'm a weirdo who likes silly bullshit like a toothbrush with Bluetooth capabilities. Cheaper models will still be good brushes.

I'd say the big difference between the two brands, in terms of functionality, is that Sonicare is more powerful. Whether this is a positive or a negative depends on your mouth. Some people want a lot of power; some people want something gentler. If you have any problems with gum recession or if you're just sensitive to vibration, you should probably go for the gentler brush. I also like that Oral B comes with a smaller brush-head by default. It's better for getting into spaces or crevices if you have any crooked teeth or teeth missing. You can get compact heads for the Sonicare, though, so if you want the more powerful brush you can still get a smaller brush head for it.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I just got the unthinkable news from my doctor's office that I am allergic to wheat. You'd think I'd have noticed something like that by now, but here we are.

So I guess the smart move would be to eliminate like 75% of the foods I love from my diet? (I haven't had a chance to talk to my doctor in person yet, so I don't know really what he wants me to do.) I'm still at the bargaining stage of grief right now, so I'm thinking of maybe trying to at least hold onto bread by baking it myself but with alternate types of flour that aren't derived from wheat.

Thing is, I'm a busy lady who doesn't have time to knead dough all day. Anybody have a recommendation for a decent bread machine? Preferably in the $50-100 range and if it doesn't take up the whole counter that's a plus.

And if anybody has any decent wheat-free bread or pizza dough recipes they can throw my way, I wouldn't mind that, either.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Before you completely commit I think you should get a second opinion from a different doctor. If you didin't even notice it I think it's worth the time to get it checked again. A few years ago I went to an ophthalmologist that said my eyes were inoperable because they were so bad. After being depressed for like 2 months someone suggested I try another doctor. The new ophthalmologist told me surgery is fine and he highly recommended it. I went to two additional doctors and they all said the same thing and that I shouldn't wait anymore. Doctors make mistakes.

Eponine posted:

Did you find this out via a prick test? I would really highly recommend getting a second opinion. As a kid I got a prick test and it said was "allergic" to nearly everything (including wheat) but it turned out that prick tests just aggravated my skin. You can also try an elimination diet to confirm the diagnosis.

It was done via lab tests that came back with specific allergy markers. It's clearly a mild allergy at best, since I eat wheat (or, rather, products made with flour) all the time. So maybe I haven't noticed any effects because they're constant. Or maybe it's not that big a deal. Or maybe the lab hosed up. It's certainly not epi-pen level (that would be the walnuts). I don't know yet what is recommended because I only talked to my doctor's nurse on the phone and my actual appointment to talk to him isn't for a week or two.

Regardless, I will be asking for a referral to an allergist. In addition to the food allergies I have skin and seasonal allergies that are making me bonkers.

T.C. posted:

Have you tried making bread without a machine? It always sounded like this big effort, but it's really not. Making bread is 10 to 15 minutes of activity maximum for a basic bread, punctuated by lots of letting the dough do its own thing for a while. People talk about kneading like it's terrible. It's really pretty fast. No knead recipes are pretty pointless, because making bread is already very little work.

I'll make dough for three dinners worth of baguettes or rolls and throw them in the fridge. Fifteen minutes of work for three days of bread. When they're thin like that it's only 10 minutes in the oven.

Don't bother starting with a complicated bread. Just try flour, yeast and water.

I have made bread by hand before and I like making bread. I even had a really great sourdough starter that I kept going for years until my dad mistook it for soup and microwaved it. If homemade bread is going to become my main bread source, though, I'd like to try a machine for the convenience. Especially if there are going to be multiple weird experimental loaves going on.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

turbomoose posted:

can anyone suggest a good pet water fountain for cats? preferably one that has a larger capacity so i'm not filling it up over and over.

I recently got one of these things for my cats (and a dog) and I like it a lot. I specifically wanted one that wasn't made of plastic (unhygienic), but that was still had a decent capacity. This was about all I found that fit that description. Some people had issues with the pump and filter, but this Amazon reviewer dude Wolf Blitzer did a mod that seems relatively simple and that he claims solved all his problems. I haven't tried it yet since I still have a ton of filters. Maybe some day.

In other news, my car's phone holder has dumped my phone onto the floor under my feet for the last time!! I guess I'll try one of those ProClips, but I'm going to wait around for a sale to happen since goddamn they are pricey.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Swiffer seems to mostly push stuff around.

For small jobs and quick cleanups, I have one of these guys. I like it because the pad is washable and the bottle is refillable. You can just put in whatever it is you happen to want to wash your floor with.

If some kind of floor disaster occurs and I really need to actually go full-blown mop and bucket, I have this thing. It seems to do the job. There may be better mops out there, but this one is mine.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Of all the litters and trays I've tried, this is by far the best litter/tray combo I've ever used:

https://www.amazon.com/Purina-Tidy-Cats-Breeze-Litter/dp/B001411SK0/

It takes clay pellets rather than litter. Pee falls through the tray and is absorbed by the pad below. Poo is quickly desiccated by the pellets and does not stink for more than a minute or two. As long as you replace the pee pad at a reasonable rate (maybe once a week, depending on your cats) you won't smell any pee. You only have to scoop poop. Pooping into pellets instead of litter was not a problem for my cats, but YCMV.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Lawen posted:

You've gotten my hopes up, going to give this a shot. I've (well, my cats) tried lots of litter boxes and litters over the years and they've all been terrible. How many cats do you have? How many boxes? Curious if the once or twice a week estimate on the pee pad is for >1 cat.

I have multiple cats, but my cats are indoor/outdoor, so I would have to change the pad less often than somebody with exclusively indoor cats. That said, I got this thing when one of my cats was very old and preferred to stay inside all the time, and from time to time I'll have to keep a cat inside after they've had a vet procedure or whatever and they all tend to prefer the indoors during the winter. I would say 1/week for one cat is probably accurate. The old cat in particular peed a LOT and once a week was about the outer edge of advisability for her. You can check the pad throughout the week if you are unsure, it's pretty obvious when it's time to change.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

uwaeve posted:

Cross posting from deals subforum because I love these phone mounts so much. 20% off expensive but great phone mounts, customized for different car models so they hook into panel seams, making them rock solid.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3799438

I finally got around to buying one of these doodads and they really are all they're cracked up to be. The mount is solid as a rock and it holds my phone perfectly. After years of lovely phone holders drooping my phone to weird angles, pressing the volume button when I'm trying to put the phone in, or outright dumping my phone on the ground, this is a lifesaver.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

My dog is getting old and grey and having more trouble than she used to in getting in and out of my car. I can kind of help lift her in and out, but she hates that. Any suggestions for some steps or a stool or something to help her climb in herself? Preferably something that can be collapsed somewhat so I can take it along with us to wherever it is I'm driving her. She's a standard poodle, so it needs to be sturdy enough for a medium/large dog.

Julet Esqu has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Jan 7, 2017

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

What if you just make a chicken coop ramp type thing? Strip of plywood with some foot grab crossbars screwed into it.

If she's heavy enough maybe throw a 2x4 underneath it for support.

This might work...

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

signalnoise posted:

2- Do they make some kind of like a dog food condiment that I can just squirt onto dry dog food to make my dog eat it instead of having to mix in wet food?

There is a product called Petchup that exists. Seems popular, though I haven't tried it.

Eponine posted:

I used Etta Says Liver Sprinkles for my picky eater dog and put water over the kibble and she was into it. I've also just out canned pumpkin on the food and mixed it in before and that's good for them.

I've used the liver sprinkles, though, and my dog is into that. I don't really bother adding water, but maybe I'll try it.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Anybody have opinions about toasters and/or ice cream makers?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Are you looking for slot toasters or open to toaster ovens as well?

Probably a slot toaster. I've been disappointed in every toaster oven I've ever encountered.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

A while back I asked for thoughts on an ice cream maker and a toaster, and took the thread's advice on both. I even got the recommended toaster oven, even though I've been greatly underwhelmed by toaster ovens in the past.

Gotta say, I'm very pleased with both purchases. Top-notch recommendations, thread.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I have a Leesa and it's great. I chose it over Casper because I heard it was the softer of the two. I have never tried a Casper myself, though.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Snowmankilla posted:

Any electric toothbrush consensus? The sweet home suggests one , but I love to check here first.

The two big names in power brushes are Oral B and Sonicare and both have a range of models at different price points and numbers of bells and whistles. Which is best for you depends on what you want in a brush.

If you want a powerful vibration you can really feel, go Sonicare. It's the more powerful of the two. Choose Oral B if you want a gentler brush, or if you need to go easy on your gums. Oral B also has a pressure sensor that lights up if you push any harder than way way way too hard when you brush (it could stand to be more sensitive, is what I'm saying).

(It's possibly worth mentioning that Waterpik also makes a brush. I haven't tried it myself, but my hygienist says it's ridiculously powerful, way more than the other two brands, and she's afraid to recommend it to her patients. So there's my anti-recommend for the Waterpik brush, via my hygienist. Don't brush your gums off, please.)

Oral B has a compact head by default, which is nice for getting into small spaces (like gaps from missing teeth), behind back teeth, or into nooks and crannies created by crooked teeth. That said, Sonicare does sell a compact head, so don't let that be a deal breaker. For that matter, Oral B sells a full-size head if that's your thing.

Oral B tends to have the better timers. Depending on the model you buy you might get a wall mounted timer or a bluetooth app for your phone (or you could just download the free Oral B timer app and work it yourself and use whatever kind of brush). I like that Oral B keeps going after two minutes to encourage you to go for extra credit; Sonicare just stops when it finishes its cycle.

Depending on the model you purchase, Sonicare may come with a special cage you can lock your brush head in and give all its accumulated bacteria skin cancer by blasting it with UV light. Some of their models can be charged via USB. All their models look really drat cool.

I've tried both Oral B and Sonicare and personally I use the Oral B because it's less intense. The dentist I work for is a Sonicare man. Both brands make extremely good brushes and I don't think you'd be going wrong either way you choose.

Edit: By the way, this? This toothbrush head right here?

Complete bullshit. The little flippers don't "work like floss," they just beat the hell out of your gums. If you do go Oral B, get a brush head that doesn't have the stupid little flippies.

Julet Esqu has a new favorite as of 02:18 on Jun 21, 2017

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've been really loving the 3D White heads with the little pink rubber piece in the middle. I understand that's similar to some dentist tool, is that right?

Also throwing in my vote for Oral B. I've had one of theirs for about 12 years and it hasn't had a single issue.

It looks like the prophy cup your hygienist uses to polish your teeth at the end of your cleaning (aka, the part of the cleaning people like). Will having that in your brush help? I-unno. Maybe. I can imagine it helping with surface stains or stubborn plaque. But the important thing is, it probably won't hurt you, so if you like it, go for it! :D

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

So my dog has decided, in her old age, that making GBS threads inside the house is actually pretty awesome. So my house smells like dog poo poo. I use that Nature's Miracle enzyme spray that's supposed to clean up dog mess and eliminate odor so the dog won't go there anymore (even though she totally will, because for her it's more about the location than the smell), and it smells marginally better than the dog poo poo.

I've got febreeze and I've got scented wax burners and I even have some incense, but I'm wondering if there's something else I could be using to help dispel this stinky cloud I'm living in. (Yes, behavior modification for the source, but honestly she's at the stage where that probably won't be an issue for very much longer.)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/ is another good mattress review site that is often linked in this thread.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

uwaeve posted:

Get a proclipusa.com mount. Pricy but awesome, get the springloaded one. The whole store goes on sale monthly for anything from 5 to 20% off if you're willing to wait.

I did this and it's great. I put my phone in the thing and it stays in the thing until I take it out. No more thing throwing my phone under my feet while I'm in traffic. And I also have a Nexus 6P.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

My parents are looking for a new refrigerator. Needs to be at least 69" H x 35" W x 30" D, side-by-side style, with an ice maker, one produce drawer, and one meat drawer. Also needs to work and be good, but doesn't need to be fancy. Budget is around $1000 or less if we can manage.

We just had a carton of milk go sour, so we may have to buy soon. Any help would be appreciated.

The Sweethome likes this Whirlpool model, though it's a little out of your range. They do recommend other models at other price points if you're flexible on features.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

anyone know the best place to buy usb c cables? just upgraded to a phone that uses them and would like some extras

I have also had generally good luck with Anker products, though I don't know how their usb C cables specifically stack up. The scary thing is that lots of companies are making lovely usb Cs that can fry your device. The good news is Benson Leung has spent a ridiculous amount of time testing a shitload of them to see which ones are safe. You can check what he has to say here. I don't remember specifically who he works for, but it's techie enough that I would trust his judgment.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

NarwhalParty posted:

This is more of a service than a product, but does anybody have any experience with buying dental insurance individually? My insurance through my employer only covers crowns every five years and I'm looking for a supplement before I go broke. Looks like afac may have an okay plan.

That varies depending on where you are. I can tell you that where I am, unless you get great insurance through your work, you're better off just stuffing money in a sock every month and buying your own dental work. A lot of the private pay insurances don't even fully cover cleaning or checkup x-rays and that is bunk. Your dental office staff has to work with insurance providers constantly and they will definitely know which insurances, if any, are worth the monthly premium.

Sentient Data posted:

Talk to the dentist directly and say "hey, my insurance won't cover what I need. How about a 50% discount if I pay cash upfront?"

Instance companies usually only pay 30-40% of the listed bill, so he'll probably be thrilled

Technically illegal, but plenty of dentists will do it anyway.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I have one of these steamers. I like it!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

It truly is the perfect console

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

lowcrabdiet posted:

If you live in a place with hard water, you'll want to boil the kettle with citric acid every now and then to get rid of mineral build up. I've used a similar kettle for years and twice a year or so, I dump in an ounce of citric acid with a full kettle of water to remove the build up. The build up is harmless, but kind of gross to see tiny flakes of stuff floating on top of your coffee.

Seconding the Citric Acid rec.

I throw one or two spoonfuls of citric acid into the bottom of my dishwasher whenever I run it. Keeps it nice and shiny in there and the dishes don't come out spotty. If you've ever bought those packets of dishwasher cleaner, this is the same stuff. I bought it in a big bag, have been using it for months, and have barely made a dent.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Sleep study in case of apnea. Other stuff already suggested if/when apnea is ruled out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

If you are willing to use your phone and have Android, this is the alarm app I use:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mcc.alarmclocklifetime&hl=en

My actual physical alarm clock is just a regular cheap Sony clock radio I got ages ago. I don't recommend it any more or less than any other plain old alarm clock.

Wirecutter has an alarm clock review too.