Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
This is the followup thread to the old Product recommendation megathread!, now sadly closed.

I'll start with a recommendation of mine, this hard-floor vacuum is the best purchase I've made since we bought our new place. $50 for an amazingly easy to use vacuum is a steal.

My request for a recommendation: I need a humidifier for our master bedroom, to be used while we sleep. The room is maybe 13' x 13'. Anyone have good experiences?

edit: Original OP edited in:

Sgs-Cruz posted:

I was thinking that it would be good to have a thread that could be used for two things:

1. Recommending products that you own or have used and are worth the money. Especially for things that most people wouldn't normally think of or are hard to find unbiased reviews for, and might make good gifts for Christmas. Please give a link to the web page for the product!

2. Asking for recommendations for things that don't have their own thread. Example: if you want a computer monitor, there's already a thread, as there is for hot sauce, kitchen knives, and bookshelf speakers. But for more obscure things you should ask here!

So I'll kick it off with three recommendations:

Travel mug: the best travel mug in the world (I know this, I've tried all of them) is the Contigo Autoseal. Costs about $20 (USD) for a two-pack at Costco, but available lots of places. Thing keeps my coffee hot for 3–4 hours and has a button you push to drink from it, so if you ever knock it over, you don't spill anything. edit: Oh yeah, and the lid doesn't get cross-threaded nearly as easily as other brands. I have a Starbucks travel mug where I swear you have to precision-align the lid with a microscope to get it to actually seal. The Contigo just screws on easily and doesn't leak.

Hiking shoes: Merrell Chameleon low-rise. I actually have an older Merrell shoe (Merrell Continuum low-rise with Vibram sole) that they don't make anymore, but I think this is the newer version of it. In any case, the key is the Vibram rubber sole. It has a slight springiness to it that just seems to give me more energy when walking. They also lasted through three months of a backpacking trip, through everything from hiking through mud to seeing a museum. I highly recommend this brand of shoes.

The Kensington SlimType keyboard for the computer. I have been using this for a couple years now and love it. It's a low-profile keyboard so it takes some getting used to if you have used full-stroke keys in the past, but the keys have a very nice feel, and more importantly, it's really quiet (I live in a small apartment). It's also nice and small; important when you have limited desk space and have to fit a lot of papers, books, etc. around you.

Okay, and also a request:
Where can I get a document stand that has enough capacity to hold a heavy reference text or binder? Something like this but could hold a 4" binder stuffed with notes, or an 800-page textbook. I would be willing to pay some significant amount of money for this, if such a thing existed.

SOME HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE RECOMMENDATIONS (I'll try to update this occasionally with items that lots of people agree are awesome):

Magic Eraser for cleaning. Originally recommended by user lamb on page 1: "They take scuffs off of walls, hard water stains off of faucets and clean soap scum with only water. They're the only product I can think of that I've bought for other people just because I was excited for them to try it."

Zojirushi rice maker with Fuzzy Logic (link is to the NS-LAC05 model which is good for a single person or couple; there are lots of other models). Originally recommended by user ayekappy on page 1: "8 or 10 different rice settings... you just put the rice in, fill to the water line, close the lid, and hit start; perfect rice every time! Keeps it warm for 12 hours, has a delayed start setting. It also plays Happy Birthday when your rice is done and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star when you start.

Litter-Robot pod for your cat to crap in. Originally recommended by user sativa dreams on page 5: If you have any number of cats, don't even think about it, just loving buy it now. I bought one in September and I highly, highly regret not buying one when I first got my cat years ago. It is one of the single best purchases I have ever made in my life. I have one cat and I empty every 7-10 days....takes just a minute or two, and I don't have to touch or scoop any litter, it's goddamn awesome. Plus it will pay for itself over the years; I went through one 35 lb tub of litter in 3 months, which is amazing compared to how much I used to use it. It uses any kind of regular trash bags and scoopable litter, no proprietary poo poo at all.

Logitech MX 518 optical mouse. Originally recommended by user Josh Lyman on page 4: the Logitech MX518 is universally acclaimed as the best mouse ever designed.

Utili-Key® 6-In-1 key ring mini-tool. Originally recommended by user Wynter on page 1: I have the 6-in-1 and it's been fantastic and very discreet in places where a folding multi-tool might be unwelcome … Not always easy to use, you have to be careful where you grab it for some things (like the bottle opener and the flat head screwdriver bit, b/c of the blade), but extremely helpful in a pinch.

SmartWool socks. Originally recommended by user Catastrophe on page 2: Find them on sale, buy a pair or two and spoil your feet. I always hated wool socks and didn't really care about having "nice" socks until I picked up a pair of their merino wool thingies and found the cushiony softness unbeatable. Again, I had people question why I would pay $8+ per pair of socks (even when on sale) when you could pick up multiple pairs of socks for that much but it's quality over quantity. They don't turn to a pulpy mess like cotton socks do when they get wet or very sweaty, they don't get stinky fast like cotton or polyester socks do, they still insulate when damp and they feel like you're walking on clouds. I honestly do feel like their socks are worth the pricetag.

Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser. Originally recommended by user Bhodi on page 6: There are so many people here recommending good oral hygene products, but this one beats them all. Seriously. Forget all that floss and electric toothbrushes that are generally no more effective than normal brushes, this is the real deal. It has changed everything and I wish someone had told me about it sooner. As a kid, I associated it only with grandpa and dentures, but this thing is seriously magical. Once you've tried it, you'll wonder why anyone uses anything else. It's better than both flossing and brushing, and does both at the same time. I didn't tell my oral hygienist I had bought one, but 5 minutes after sitting in the chair she demanded to know what I had done. It replaces everything else on your sink when you use the brush attachment. You don't even need toothpaste, though you can use some if it makes you feel better. Don't get the hand held one, it doesn't hold enough water. Click on the picture for the one you want. I know I sound like I'm gay for this thing but words can't express how amazing it is. You'll never use anything else, ever again. This product has had like twelve users post about how great it is. Gets an A+ from this thread.

Bar Keeper's Friend cleaning products (powder and liquid).

Contigo Autoseal travel mugs. Originally recommended by, uh, me, in the OP.

AeroPress Coffee Maker

OMG a front page edit:

Sappo569 posted:

Does it have to be ethernet?

When I needed to get internet from my PC in the office to my living room tv, I couldn't run any cable (unless I wanted it running across the hardwood)

My solution was to use a set of Gigabit powerline adaptors

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powe...rnet+over+power

It was pretty much plug and play, and I can stream anything I want and have never had any latency or buffering issues

JPrime has a new favorite as of 05:52 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice

Bhodi posted:

I dunno. I feel like this thread needs to be named "Buy this thing!" Or "Stuff this into that void in your life!"

I'm down with a name change, or if someone has a more :effort: OP, that's good too.

I ended up ordering this humidifier from Amazon, hopefully being a best seller means something.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice
I'm sorry the OP is such a shameful state. I'll work on it over the weekend.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice
I've got a house that's about 80% hard surface (laminate/tile) flooring, and 2 cats. Is there any sort of Roomba-like device that can handle the resulting hair puffs?

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice

.Z. posted:

awesome poo poo

Thanks! One of these days I'll stop being a lazy poo poo and compile some of this in the OP.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice

bunnielab posted:

I am looking for a site to buy prescription glasses from. I am looking for a few pairs of cheap sunglasses and a good pair of safety glasses. Can anyone suggest a place for either?

How are you ok w/ buying glasses w/o trying the frames on? I've got a big noggin so I have a hard time buying frames, couldn't imagine buying without being able to try them on. :/

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice

Lawen posted:

I'm looking for some really, really good hard candy. Something a few steps up from Werther's Originals or Brach's Strawberry Bonbons (though those are both very good). Willing to try pretty much any flavor or flavor profile but I generally don't like licorice/anise.

Some cursory research led to a couple fruit flavored candies from Italy and Belgium that sounded good. Also some Asian/Japanese stuff with either barley sugar or ginger that sounded interesting though some of the more esoteric Asian candies I've tried in the past haven't really been my thing.

Suggestions?

a restaurant near us had these in a dish on the front counter, I loved them so much I had to buy some (not super esoteric but I've never seen these in a store): https://www.amazon.com/Candy-Crate-Key-Lime-Disks/dp/B002E4AFJQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1498107378&sr=8-4&keywords=lime+candy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice

obi_ant posted:

I'm in need of a computer chair. I've been sitting on a crappy Ikea chair for the past 4 years and I'm sick of it. I'm basically looking for something that will last a long time and be super comfortable. I'm not looking for anything super pricey, but I don't know what is considered a good price for a chair. I sat on this for a while in the store, but I didn't know about the longevity of the chair, so I didn't pick it up. I think $200 is the maximum I'm willing to spend, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

how tall/heavy are you? at 6'4, 280 I think that chair lasted me a couple of years, maybe 3?