Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Does anyone have any recommendations for some nice and thick boot socks? I don't really mind paying more for quality if they will last me a while. All of my boot socks are pretty cheap and are already starting to go threadbare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Thanks for the smartwool recommendations guys! I'm going to buy one or two to try out before I commit to replacing all of my boot socks, but they sound exactly like what I'm looking for.

ray_finkle_himself posted:

Any recommendations for buying artwork online? With frames I guess?

I need to hang some stuff on my walls.

It's kind of hard to answer a really vague question like this, but I'll give it a shot. Check out sites like etsy, society 6, and the Tappan Collective. Artists that you like often also sell art online through their personal website, though prices will vary depending on how established he or she is. If you are looking for posters, Print Process is my go to for more artistic posters, but places like art.com or posters.com will carry a really huge range of movie and famous artist posters for reasonable prices.

A lot of websites that sell posters/prints will also offer framing services but I often find that they aren't worth the money. Frames are heavy, generally inflexible, and fragile, so they add a lot to the shipping costs while also increasing the chance that it will be damaged in transit. This isn't to say that you shouldn't use these services, plenty of people are happy with them, but I've had one to many that have cracked or warped in transit that I just buy my own frames now. If you want to buy your own frames, places like Ikea offer some cheap ones in standard sizing.

To get the best possible prices for art, though, I really recommend that you browse around your city/town for any kind of art market or open studios. I find that talking to the artist about their work and showing an interest in the art community will often get you a deal on a piece you are interested in. A local artist whose work I really like threw in an extra print and drew a sketch of me when I purchased two prints because I wound up talking to him about art materials for an hour. This isn't true of all artists, obviously, and you should never go into a studio expecting to get a deal, but building that relationship goes a long way towards getting some awesome art for a little less.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice warm throw blanket that's also large? Just looking for something simple like a fleece or faux-shearling that's roughly about a queen size.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Need some recommendations for some mens mid-weight long underwear. Looking to spend less than $15 a pair.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

My girlfriend is really into tea and her favorite teapot shattered after my brother accidentally dropped it. The one she had was a vintage German design and looked like this (not my photo):

So I'm looking for something with a similar style to replace it. Hopefully not more than $50. Ebay is certainly an option, but I'd like to get her something new if possible.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Any recommendations for men's slip on shoes that have some arch support? I just need them for things like taking out the trash or running to the corner store, so they don't need to look fancy.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Anyone have any recommendations for a coffee mug with a large, square handle that you could wrap your whole hand around? My dad recently had a stroke and is having trouble manipulating regular mugs, so I thought this might be easier for him and make him feel a little better about his situation. Not to be too goony, but the mugs they use in Star Trek Voyager would be absolutely perfect though I can't really afford to spend hundreds of dollars on a set of those, so anything similar would be appreciated. This is for home use, so I'm not really that interested in a travel mug.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

My mom and I have talked about ordering from a medical supply store with him and picked out a couple to choose from, but he hated that they didn't look like normal mugs or were made of thick plastic. Personally, I think the fact that so much of his life has changed because of his stroke really affected him, so if I could bring a little bit of normalcy back into his life I think that would mean a lot to him.

That's also partially why I was looking at the Voyager mugs, they look like normal mugs but with a large handle that you could fit your hand around.

Edit: Sorry if I sounded ungrateful for the suggestion and to make this too e/n. My dad is just stubborn about his coffee and not appearing "weak". I really appreciate any suggestions as I know this is probably a really specific, niche thing to ask for.

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Feb 14, 2018

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Ah, sorry! I thought the mug I was talking about was easier to google but I guess not. Here is a photo I found of a pair of them:

The handle runs the length of the cup so I thought it would be easier for him to manipulate and maneuver while still looking enough like a coffee mug.

Talking to a local potter is a great idea! I'm ashamed to say the option didn't even cross my mind. I think he would like that a lot as he's always appreciated hand-made items, and getting him involved in how it might look would probably help it from looking too "hospital-y". Thank you for the wonderful suggestion!

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Weird request, but any good choices for dishwasher detergent that's VERY low odor/scent?

The past couple I've used (Cascade packs and Kirkland liquid) my GF complained that they made her food taste like the soap, esp. when she heated them up in the microwave and ESPECIALLY the plastic ones, but even if it was in a glass container.

Look for anything with "hypoallergenic" on the label as they don't have any scents added. I use either Method or Nature Clean (depending on what's on sale) and they get the job done just as well as any other brand.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

This question makes me feel old, but I've been looking for an umbrella stand to put next to my door. Does anyone have a recommendation for one that's pretty classic looking and at least 22 inches tall?

Now where are my Werthers? :corsair:

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Dec 9, 2019

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Anybody got a recommendation for some mens sweatpants/joggers that have at least a 34-inch inseam? So many places only make them in a 32 or 28 inch inseam and are way too short for me.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Uniqlo is usually my go to, but the sweatpants they have currently only come in a 30- or 31-inch inseam in the size I need unfortunately. Being a tall, slim dude that's mostly legs makes finding the right waist/inseam pretty hard.

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Dec 31, 2019

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Does anyone have a recommendation for some light, breathable summer sheets? My apartment gets crazy hot and the sheets I have are keeping too much heat in at night.

bamhand posted:

Are air fryers the same thing as a convection halogen oven but in a different case?

Yes. Wirecutter did a big review of air fryers against convection toaster ovens and lists the pros and cons of a bunch of models.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Anyone try a rug from Ruggable? My wife and I like some of the designs and the washability aspect as we have a cat that likes to throw up, but are wondering if they feel like standing on a yoga mat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks! We were concerned about their rugs feeling like yoga mats because the pads are advertised as being made from the same material and thats not really what we wanted from a rug. Good to know that they don't!