Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I dunno. I feel like this thread needs to be named "Buy this thing!" Or "Stuff this into that void in your life!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Serious answer? your best bet is a lightweight quadcopter and a gopro. The drone and gopro are each about $500, and the gopro can be controlled and outputs to any smartphone or tablet. If you want a pre-built works out of the box, look for a DJI Phantom and the latest (Oct 2014) gopro. Other options are here if you want to unpack and fly.

There are a ton of options in this space, though, you can buy phantoms with integrated cameras, do-it-yourself kits, pretty much the sky's the limit if you're handy at cobbling together parts and if you won't cry when you ram the thing into the ground during the first 15 minutes.

If you want a cheap toy, take a look at other quadcopters (just google around), some of them have smaller, lighter, integrated cameras. You can probably get something for under $1-200.

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Dec 3, 2014

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It totally can.

quote:

Get full remote control of all camera functions—take a photo, start/stop recording and adjust settings. See what your camera sees with live preview for easy shot-framing. Use HiLight Tag to mark key moments while recording.1 View photos and play back videos, then share your favorites via email, text, Facebook, Twitter and more.2 Plus, use it to wirelessly update your camera software on the go for the latest features and best performance.

Key Features
* Get full remote control of all camera functions
* See what your camera sees with live preview for easy shot-framing

Now, this is bluetooth range, so you're looking at no more than around 100m, even though the website claims 600ft under 'optimal conditions'. Anything else is going to start costing in the thousands. If you've got the cash and the will, there are dedicated systems just for you. It's venturing into the semi-commerical space, stuff that's used for concerts, sports events, and to watch rocketships take off. Start googling hexacopter or octacopter and look at some of the popular options. The more blades the betterer. Big ones can lift 15lbs or so, which is a lot of space for control/transmit gear and a really nice camera on a gimbal/steadycam rig.

Basically, you're paying an awful lot to look at women sunbathing on rooftops in realtime.

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 23:19 on Dec 3, 2014

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Well, it's a shame bushmaster got perma'd. You could talk to him ;)

Any commercial solution will be in the tens of thousands of dollars. There are cheaper options though and you might consider whether or not you REALLY need real time video, rather than a semi-autonomous device that you can plot out a route and then examine the footage once it makes it back. The latter will be significantly cheaper (see the E382 Aerial Mapping Airplane for ~600)

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Dec 3, 2014

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Sadly, you get what you pay for. Something to look for is to make sure the gears are metal, not plastic. Plastic ones break like crazy and as bad as it sounds, they really don't make them like they used to. My mom has broken a bunch over the years and keeps going back to an old reliable one she has from the 70's.You know the one, it's boxy, yellow-beige and the power cord looks dangerously too thin.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Chas McGill posted:

I need a travel backpack that should double as my carry-on as well as a daypack I can use when I'm at the destination. It doesn't need to be particularly big, but it should be able to hold a laptop (12"), kindle, notepad, and water bottle with a bit of room to spare.
The best travel backpack that I have ever owned is the Osprey Porter line. I own a 45 (46). It's perfect for carryon because it fits exactly within carryon spec to maximize space, has padded sides (!!), hideaway straps to prevent catching on other bags in a cargo compartment of a plane or bus, and isn't over-compartmentalized which adds to the weight and detracts from usefulness.

The straps let it be converted into a messenger-bag type deal and it also has a carrying handle on the side. The two side-straps provide compression and there aren't any additional unnecessary buckles or whatever to catch on stuff. I also really like the fact that you can lay it flat and unzip it all the way down and flop open the lid so it's basically just a little travel suitcase :3:

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Dec 15, 2014

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You might want to read the last few pages of the GWS product recommendation thread; it's mostly blenderchat.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Jmcrofts posted:

I want an amazing backpack in the $200 or less range. It has to have a pretty big main section (20" tall at least would be nice), and I want it to look cool. Anyone have suggestions?

Hit the ? and check out my posts about the Osprey Porter line.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Gyshall posted:

If you clean your place semi regularly, vacuum, and then use those you should be good. I have a smaller 2 BR apartment though so YMMV
When I come home from work, my place smells like whatever I cooked last night for dinner. Which sucks when it's fish or something. I'd also like to find some way of dealing with that.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

colas posted:

Anyone get an Amazon Echo?

I have one, it's pretty good for what it does. Bluetooth speaker, plays music, tells me traffic, weather, and jokes.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Speaking of Bluetooth, what's the best option these days for wireless earbuds for use while running? Don't want them too enormous and don't want them to fall out. Battery life is secondary as long as they last two hours or so.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I actually got the dressing table from ikea and I use it as a barebones desk without the drawer. I recommend it for people who want a desk/computer in a smaller space, as it's deep enough for a monitor/keyboard but not enough to have wasted space behind.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10203610/

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Pretty much normal distance?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Etrips posted:

Also I'm guessing that is an extension on Chrome to make SA look like that?

I use stylish https://userstyles.org/styles/browse/somethingawful

Kaizoku posted:

Can I ask about the sunscreen, toilet paper, and milk?

I'd like to ask about the sunscreen, toilet paper, and milk.
If you have archives, and you dig through some of the old "show off your battlestation" threads, well, that's the joke pretty much. There's probably one somewhere in the goldmine.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Go pros don't really work that well on pets, they are too big unless you get a harness specifically for it, and then it has a problem of wobbling back and forth. Same for attaching it to the collar.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Etrips posted:

Obvious answer is a helmet then.
You can see an example of the collar-cam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW0Q1HSpztM

That was the next logical step, so of course a helmet was constructed out of tape.

Remy finally had enough and anger pooped in the hallway. Then, thinking maybe it wouldn't be seen, picked up the poo and put it in the middle of the floor so you'd have to step over it.

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 17:07 on Sep 11, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Kaizoku posted:

Uh, I for one would like to see this video
There's no video, he wouldn't move with it on :(

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The shower is too loud for my phone as well, I use this which I got as a gift, years ago http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E9YIFQ4

there are probably better/cheaper ones but that's the one I use. In a plastic bag.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I have the UE Boom which isn't waterproof but it is when I put it in a ziplock bag. I did that after it vibrated itself off the edge and into the tub once.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You might want to consider using better litter, like the clumping kind that doesn't create giant clouds of dust. I used to use a clay litter and it was terrible but I haven't had dust clouds since switching to clumping / flushable.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

turbomoose posted:

What brand do you use?
I've used both fresh step and tidy cats; I suspect they're all generally the same. There seem to be various amazon reviews for people who are really sensitive to dust, if you google around. Try https://www.amazon.com/forum/cats?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3BHSNMXT6GC07&cdThread=Tx1W2C9UXLREMUS

Regardless, even the ones they consider dusty aren't even close to your standard inexpensive clay-based cat litter.

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 17:33 on Oct 7, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Everyone has slim wallet opinions but mine is objectively the best, obviously. They sell them on amazon now, but it was originally a kickstarter:

https://www.amazon.com/Ti5-Slim-Wallet-Titanium-Standard/dp/B01BWZ68WU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

dantheman650 posted:

I kind of want a fidget cube but I read up on the Antsy Labs kickstarter and see they still aren't shipping. Anyone gotten a knockoff that isn't a pile of crap?
The ones from this store are identical to the kickstarter (the one with the two-part box with the lid) https://www.aliexpress.com/store/2666099 and I ordered half a dozen a while back. They're pretty great.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Fellis posted:

What are some decent kitchen knives? I'm looking to spend like ~$75 (but flexible) I know gently caress-all about knives.

I have a costco membership if the advice is just go to costco.
Get two $10 ceramic knives from amazon for cutting meat and veggies, an 8 or 10 inch and a 6 inch. They're going to be sharper than steel and require zero maintenance. Pick up a steel paring knife.

Just treat them with respect and don't use them to de-bone or the flat of it to crush garlic. If one ever chips, just shrug and buy another one because they were like $5 a piece

There's basically zero reason to go cheap steel over ceramic at that price point unless you have a fetish for sharpening.

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 16:34 on May 15, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Anyone have recommendations for light jackets that have built-in pockets for headphones? I'm looking for an internal pocket or two with the ability to run the cable up to the collar for easy headphone storage.

Kind of like this thing but without it cranked up to 11: https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/is-scottevest-the-biggest-smartphone-case-ever-or-a-really-dorky-jacket/

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I got a smilex after reading about how ultrasonic is the next big thing, and I guess it works? The actual ultrasonic emitter is too high frequency to vibrate or make noise, so I just assume it's working. It also has a vibrate like most electric brushes.

I don't have much to compare it to, I think all electric toothbrushes work pretty well. Hygenist hasn't complained yet.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Decius posted:

Don't know about small heads, since fit in the end is very much an individual thing, but the HyperX Cloud headset is really great for the price. Good mic, which you can remove, two kind of ear pieces (pleather and foam), does sound quite good for the price range.
I have the black version of this and I can confirm it's great on my unusually tiny head - sounds great too. If this one ever dies I'll get the same as a replacement.

The little control box that allows you to mute and change volume died about 2 weeks in, but it's NBD to me because I never used it anyway; It's modular so I just took it out of the circuit and threw it away. I also put on the furry pads over the pleather ones, but both are good.

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Jul 8, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I bought a $300 foam mattress on amazon and when it was too firm a layered a 2 inch topper on top of it. Works for me.

Mattresses are such a scam, their profit margins are absolutely insane. There's no reason to pay more than a thousand dollars for a mattress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

I want to pay as little as possible for a computer mouse that will last me a long time and doesn't have any extra buttons or features or anything. Just two buttons and a scroll wheel. My current one was a really cheap one and it's worn out pretty quickly, so I want a good quality one that will last longer. What mouse should I get?

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-Button-Wired-Mouse-Black/dp/B005EJH6RW/