Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

1redflag posted:

No advice, but I like your forthrightness.

Edit: I take that back, you could just make Sun tea. Simply get a large glass jar, put in a few tea bags (about 1 per 8floz), fill with room temp water, close the jar loosely, let sit in the sun 3-5 hours, add sugar if desired, enjoy.

If you can wait an extra hour or two, you can make much better tea in the fridge. Putting the tea in the sun doesn't really do much anyway:

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/07/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-sun-tea-forget-the-sun-cold-brew-tea-is-better.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I want an amazing backpack in the $200 or less range. It has to have a pretty big main section (20" tall at least would be nice), and I want it to look cool. Anyone have suggestions?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Comatoast posted:

What do you intend to do with this backpack? Is it for lugging your laptop and books around? Taking on a plane with clothes inside? Long distance hiking? Short distance hiking? There are a lot of options available.

No outdoors stuff, I travel a lot and have taken to throwing all my poo poo in a backpack rather than carrying around a big suitcase. Clothes and random junk, no laptop though. I've been using the same $30 backpack for like 5 years and it's starting to fall apart.

E: this guy caught my eye but I'm open to suggestions.

Jmcrofts has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Jan 22, 2015

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

king of the bongo posted:

How do you travel (plane, train, automobile?) and how many clothes and junk do you take when you travel. You mention carrying the contents of a big suitcase and then linked to a 6" deep bag. If you want to haul a bunch of stuff get a hiking pack like deuter or a messenger backpack from reload bags. I have bags from both and the deuter backpack (I have a regular speedlite30 one not a big hiking pack) is slim and can carry a lot without a sweaty back. The reload bag is a workhorse that has been in a few bicycle accidents and multiple international trips and is still going and is massive if you get the larger sizes.

I travel by plane, car, and bus.

I pack light, so I think any of the recommended bags would be big enough. I don't really need a hiking-style bag for the amount of stuff I need to haul.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Like the guy above me said, gently caress knife sets. A chef's knife, a paring knife, and a $5 serrated knife will fulfill 99% of your needs and give you much better quality for the price.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know a good mic stand that works with the Blue Yeti? This guy:

I need one that can clamp to a desk, and can attach a pop filter.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Thwomp posted:

Grab a Wahl Peanut or the cordless version. Should do you nicely and they're relatively inexpensive.

Seconding the Peanut. Best clippers I"ve owned.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

xlevus posted:

I'm 99.9% sure this is asking for waterproof water, but is there anything out there for people who sleep in noisy places but have tinnitus?

I currently live near a nocturnal construction yard. I can wear earplugs and not hear the noise, but instead I'm subjected to the overbearing hum of bad choices at concerts.

And a white noise generator just annoys the wife.

I use these earbuds

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K...earphones+se215

which block out sound like nobody's business. With those on, I can turn on either some music, white noise, or something boring on netflix and I'm out like a light.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PRADA SLUT posted:

Looking for books for children (preschoolish to grade schoolish) about women in STEM? Or, failing the women part, just story books for children about science or engineering or the like.

I've seen Ada Lovelace and the Thinking Machine and am looking for something along those lines, though could be for younger children as well: https://www.amazon.com/Ada-Byron-Lovelace-Thinking-Machine/dp/1939547202

Age-specific reading comprehension isn't that important, as they can be read by an adult like a storybook.

Not exactly what you're looking for but The Way Things Work (and the new way things work) is what got me obsessed with science at a young age.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have slowly liquidated my entire underwear collection until all I have left are MeUndies. I live a life of pure comfort now.

If I were to try to do this with socks as well, what brands do you guys recommend? I pretty much only wear plain black socks.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I have one pair of MeUndies that I got from Birchbox and they are comfortable but it bugs me that there is no dick hole / pee flap. Do they make any with a dick hole pee flap?

As far as I know they do not. I've never been a flap user, so I don't miss it. This is basically me:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Are soundbars any good? If so could someone recommend me one? If not any other recommendations for speakers for my TV that won't take up very much space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My thermapen is by far the most useful thing in my kitchen, can't recommend them enough