Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
Serious sock talk, these things rock and come with a lifetime guarantee
http://darntough.com/about-us/our-guarantee

http://www.amazon.com/Darn-Tough-Vermont-Merino-Cushion/dp/B000XIFUZ4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Pron on VHS posted:

I am looking for a set of wireless speakers that can connect to my laptop and TV via a jack, and also have Bluetooth connectivity for my phone.

What kind of size are you looking for and do you need a stereo set specifically? I use the Amazon Basics Wireless speaker for the exact same reasons and theyre pretty loving loud for their size, even has a Mic for taking calls via speakerphone and a subwoofer on the back -

http://chainsawmama.tumblr.com/post/84646076473/amazonbasics-portable-bluetooth-speaker-best

Sounds like you may be looking for something a bit beefier though, so to expand on options, Im pretty sure you can just get Bluetooth dongles for any speakers/headphones now so that may broaden your choices

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I've been thinking very hard about getting a GoPro or other similar device to record college lectures, so I can use them as study aides along with my class notes. Nothing fancy, just something with a good enough mic and a clear enough picture to pick up everything an instructor is saying and writing.

I also need an upright stand to hold the camera steady, so I can record while taking notes in class at the same time without worrying about the camera and picture wiggling all over the place.

Any recommendations? Yes, I know that some professors may not be cool with this, but for the ones that are it seems like a huge study aid to be able to put class written notes within the context of the actual lectures.

For something you're not going to be doing any "Action" with theres probably no need to go for the big guns like the GoPro or equivalents as you're not gonna make use of most of the features you're paying for like 4k and image stabilisation etc. I bought one of these recently for similar reasons (recording guitar riffs so I dont forget them and to attach to my Drone and fly it around) and it's a good little bit of kit for the price -

http://www.amazon.com/Mobius-Action-Camera-1080P-Sports/dp/B00DP1WYD2

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

That might work, although I kinda feel like image stabilization might be useful since I don't know whether the camera is gonna wiggle around as I'm writing stuff down or other people in class are getting up and moving around.

I also tend to sit toward the front of the room, usually in the front row if I can manage it, so I need something that can record everything from there. And I need a way to view what the camera is recording, so I can adjust it as needed, although that doesn't have to be attached to the camera itself; if I have to hook it up to my iPad to do that, then that's fine too.

EDIT: Also I'd kinda like to get an idea or two on this today, what with it being Black Friday and stuff like this being on sale and all. :shobon:

I attached it to a DJI Phantom II drone which vibrates like a fucker and it did fine, I can send a quick exmaple if needed.
It comes with a velcro strap and Mount, it doesnt budge. Paying anything over 100$ for your needs is just not necessary (unless you just want to join the gopro club, it happens alot).

I own this one too and it also does the job, 1080p 30fps or 720 at 60 even can clip it to stuff and angle the lens down 30 degrees
http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-1080P-HD-Camera-For-Wltoys-V262-V353-V333-V323-V636-p-943813.html

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

oh dope posted:

a buddy of mine always has a pocket knife on him, but one day he forgot he had it on him when he tried to get into a concert and they took it and never gave in back. well, i got him for a secret santa deal, and i'm looking to replace his lovely old knife with a nice new one. doesn't have to be anything fancy. any suggestions?

Well worth checking out Massdrop.com, they always have decent deals on knives. I personally have a Kershaw Volt II and a Kershaw Shuffle from there and theyre both excellent every day carry knives

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

colas posted:

Owners of 4K screens of any kind - Was it worth upgrading? What screen do you have and what device is pushing the video?

See I love the upgrade to 4k but the lack of 4k content is just really irritating. If you're planning to game on it then you'll need something beefy GFX wise unless you just drop the resolution. I think a 780/780ti is recommended for that and thats certainly not max settings across the board. Personally I run a GTX770 (4gb) and it plays all my blizz games at 4k but theyre very optimised. Any generic AAA title is gonna beast it at higher settings. All in all though, I fly drones so I love the plethora of 4k footage in that genre thanks to DJI putting 4k cameras on alot of their drones now, but after a few weeks you'll probably burn out the remaining videos youre interested in unless you're planning on producing your own content.

If you're a productive person that wants more screen estate and watch the occasional 4k video then its an absolutely beautiful upgrade especially now theyre getting so cheap, but with gaming theres alot more to consider but it doesnt really sound like you were interested in that anyway

Edit, I have the Dell P2415Q, looks like its 400$ on amazon at the moment, some people dont like the fact its so small the the PPI is so high but I sit pretty close, 27" and 30" 4k monitors look great at that PPI too so it may be worth considering depending on your setup (ive not seen a 40" personally yet)

Astrobastard has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Dec 27, 2015

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Ideally I'd like a small, enclosed, preferably electric powered single-seat vehicle that can get me to and from work reliably every day. It'd be nice if it didn't look incredibly dorky too but I can deal with it if it does. I'm also open to other suggestions, the only thing off the top of my head that even comes close to this is a smart car.

In Europe there's the Renault Twizy, but Im pretty sure they're not available in the states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Inzombiac posted:

Alright, I didn't know it would make a huge difference so I'll open it up to USB. Those Snowball ones look neat but are a little pricy.

Not really in the same "league", as the Snowball is a condenser mic and will just have generally better quality (if you set it up in the ideal location) but I swear by the Antlion Modmic. The quality is fantastic, you can attach it to your desk, your headphones or whatever using sticky magnets. Again its not that cheap but it'll last for ages and is really versatile as long as you dont accidentally run your desk chair over it. (and its 3.5mm)

http://www.modmic.com/collections/modmic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVFKbVPTdG8

Astrobastard has a new favorite as of 10:24 on Mar 11, 2016