Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Inzombiac posted:

I'm looking for a discrete Bluetooth earbud that I can wear at work to listen to podcasts from my phone.

My direct boss doesn't give a toss because I work hard but his boss is really wrapped up in selling an "image" (inside a locked and secured government facility, go figure) so I need just one bud I can wear.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I wanted a little bluetooth gadget for listening to audiobooks and doing Siri stuff, and the Motorola Hint is out of my price range at the moment. This one is only $15 (with prime shipping) and has the best reviews of all the products like it. Link here, for the interested.
Someone asked him in that thread for feedback on whether it was any good, but no response yet.

EDIT And the verdict is in that it's crap! Sorry to have bothered you all.

Flipperwaldt has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

kinmik posted:

Any good aftershave recommendations? Is that the stuff that helps with razor burn? I don't have facial hair, but my husband does.
There's like a million goons in the wet shaving megathread willing to give you a three page essay each on the virtues of safety razors and what fancy products they accessorize with.

I like the Nivea Balm stuff..

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

There's a point & shoot thread in the dorkroom. If I had to guess, that'd be the place for recommendations for things like that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Comatoast posted:

I need a powered USB hub that is functionally rock solid. It can be plastic and cheap feeling as long as it's function as a USB hub is unquestionable. The application is for a cnc router, where it will sit in between the computer and the router. If it were to fail in the middle of a cut it could cost lots of money and time and customer satisfaction.
I've got this one: http://www.amazon.com/Sitecom-4-ports-USB-3-0-CMPSC-CN071/dp/B00CEBQE1M/

It's probably overkill for your situation. I assume cnc routers might not do usb 3? I needed a hub that did, that had detachable cords for power and usb and was available in the local brick and mortar store for immediate pick up. I paid a bit less than that. I plugged it in -what- four months ago? And it has allowed me to completely forget it was there. It has a couple of devices plugged into it that would cause trouble when plugged into unpowered hubs, but with the 2.5A power brick that's not a problem anymore.

Some local sites' review sections give it 4 to 5 stars; this brand doesn't seem to sell a lot in the USA or something, I don't know.

I'm sure the people in the Raspberry Pi thread can give you a decent rundown of some cheaper/usb 2 versions, because you almost can't use the thing without a powered hub.

Also, probably someone is going to mention the brand Anker. Haven't heard a bad word on their products on these forums.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

stubblyhead posted:

You have that backwards actually. Yellow is cooler than the blue/white ones. What you actually want are very warm bulbs.
It is in fact you who is confusing scientific color temperatures and commercial nomenclature. When you buy a lamp labelled warm white, it will be more orangey than a cool white one.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

KoB posted:

He meant in terms of color. Cool colors are blues/etc, warm colors are yellows/reds/etc
We're all talking about colors. And while a hotter burning star might produce light more towards the bluer end of the spectrum, as stubblyhead correctly notes, this doesn't help you buy bulbs. That's all I'm saying.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Have you wife use the earplugs so she doesn't have to hear the white noise machine.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Geoj posted:

Windows RT is really the only other mainstream mobile OS besides Android and iOS.

Ubuntu was developing a mobile OS at one point but I'm pretty sure its been abandoned.
It's all very confusing, but Microsoft has had phone OSes called Windows Mobile and Windows Phone (current) and in the future it will be called Windows 10 Mobile again. Windows RT is in fact a wholly different thing that was meant for tablets. You can't buy anything new anymore running Windows RT and development on it has stopped.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

"isn't usb" throwing some people for a loop, apparently.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I just put up a mosquito net over the bed. Works great.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Pick posted:

I am already dying of cold this winter. Please recommend me products that will help keep me warmer.
Samsung Galaxy Note 7

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Could you tell me what I should be looking for in an acoustic electric? I know like jack poo poo about guitars, not sure where to start with my research for this gift
We have a subforum with musicians.

Try here, probably:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3341553

edit: I see you already went there.

Flipperwaldt has a new favorite as of 00:00 on Nov 23, 2016

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Chip McFuck posted:

My girlfriend is really into tea and her favorite teapot shattered after my brother accidentally dropped it. The one she had was a vintage German design and looked like this (not my photo):

So I'm looking for something with a similar style to replace it. Hopefully not more than $50. Ebay is certainly an option, but I'd like to get her something new if possible.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/468175...98887:468175394

https://www.etsy.com/listing/266525...ulated%20teapot

After actually reading your post, maybe this is not massively helpful, but have these links anyway.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

bookkeeper posted:

Looking for a decent daily commuter bike. Traveling about 4 miles one way to and from work over mostly-flat city terrain. Budget $200ish.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3627612

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

LSD CURES JUNKIES posted:

I'm looking for any suggestions on a harmonica if you guys could help. Nothing professional but I don't want to get a crappy one either. :)
I have no doubt that you can get a thoroughly informed answer in this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415486

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Android phones and iPhones can be set to output in mono in the accessibility settings.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

EricBauman posted:

My Nexus 7 is showing signs of slowly dying.
I'd prefer a device that's as nearly identical to it as possible, but what I'm looking for may not exist:
- Clean Android, no manufacturer crapware;
- About Nexus 7 sized. That one had a 7 inch screen but a lot of bezel space, so I'm kind of flexible on this;
- Available in Europe;
- A lot more recent so it can last me another couple of years.

What are my options? Am I looking for a product that no longer exists?
Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus was halfway decent on paper when it was announced. Check the reviews, I guess. Don't know if the price will please you. There's a tablet thread in IYG if you want, but they're justifiably stuck on the Fire tablets you can get for peanuts in the usa.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Krime posted:

True story. Happened to me.
You had an accident in the house, or you got smeared everywhere by a roomba?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Humerus posted:

Not sure if there's a pen thread but I've been wanting a nice (ish) pen and in doing some research I've found the Machine Era Markup that looks really good to me. Taking the Pilot G2 refills is a must for me as that's all I've written with for the past...decade or so and they're pretty inexpensive. My only concern is that the Machine Era looks pretty short compared to even the regular Pilot G2 and other machined pens (like the Everyman Grafton). I thought there was a pretty decent chance someone here has used the Machine Era or can otherwise recommend a solid feeling pen that takes the G2 refills.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531265

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Love it. Install those in a house you later sell. New owner needs some electric work done. Lots of flipping breakers and cursing.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I think it's in ask/tell.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

That functionality is in cheap, dumb products and not even advertised on the box. If the manual indicates you need to pair outlet and remote on installation, there's a fair chance you can pair it with multiple outlets, as these things are too cheap for two way communication and the pairing is just telling the outlet to 'listen for this code' the way multiple radios can tune into the same frequency. It'd make sense to me of this was really common. Sorry I can't help with actual products though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I think there's a gui for yt-dlp somewhere too, haven't looked in a while.

Or Soulseek? Is that still a thing?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I can recommend having Bluetooth media control buttons for use in a car though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I obviously have no objections against the safety angle, but my recommendation comes from a point of convenience. I really like being able to go 'next' and it doesn't take a second or half an ounce of brainpower.