Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ That is correct, and they're really the only way to properly support your feet. Don't bother with the ones you can get at Wal-Mart. Get them sized by the doctor and made by whatever lab the doctor's practice uses. I did that 8 years ago and it really was life-changing.

Wearing orthotics may also change what shoes you buy, both in size and style. Some people actually have to go up half a size (I didn't, but YMMV), so I wouldn't buy anything new until you get the inserts so you can try shoes with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
It might, but ankle/foot pronation varies hugely person by person, as does the strength of your ligaments, fascia, etc. Add to that any underlying issues, and it really is something that you need to have diagnosed by a doctor. In my case, I have a small bone outgrowth that sits directly below a ligament and rubs against it when I walk -- no amount of strength training will make that go away. It's either orthotics or surgery.

Anecdotal as well, but: prior to custom orthotics I had on-and-off ankle pain for years. After getting fitted (leaving an imprint in some kind of blue foam or getting my foot wrapped in plaster) and wearing them in my dress shoes, it took about a month for the pain to completely disappear. Once I got a full-length pair of inserts for sneakers I was actually able to start running again. I know I sound like an infomercial, but I'm not exaggerating one bit about how helpful the customs were to me.

And for the record, you absolutely don't have to wear grandma/pa shoes. That's the beauty of the inserts -- all the corrective work is inside the shoe. You're just, unfortunately, on the hook for about $300 every few years. I'd honestly pay way more if need be.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Nephzinho posted:

It is warm this week. It is going to be warmer soon. Anyone got a good rec for undershirts?

I'm probably in the minority with this advice, but... ditch the undershirt? It doesn't look good with unbuttoned dress shirts and it looks even worse under polos. You can remedy that with a deep enough V-neck but, looks aside, I always find them counterproductive in the summer months. I live in central TX and the thought of actually adding layers -- even one made of a technical fabric -- as the weather warms up... Yeesh.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just weird and don't sweat enough to need/appreciate undershirts.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

various cheeses posted:

Grado labs are pretty good

Seconded - my SR80e set is excellent.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Have you considered using matting to fill out larger frames? You can achieve some neat effects if you don't absolutely have to have the artwork fill the frame edge-to-edge.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Speaking of beard oil (and since this is technically PYF): Mod Cabin's "Miner's Mint" is my favourite. Makes your beard smell like lemon pie!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

SpartanIV posted:

I use my cellphone :effort:

I've heard really good things about this alarm and it's currently 25% off!

Philips Wake-Up Light with Colored Sunrise Simulation alarm clock & sunset fading night light, White HF3520 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093162RM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_S-rHAbR110N7X

I have that exact model and find that it's only as effective as your sleep sensitivity to light. Unless my face is directly in front of the light and the room is absolutely pitch dark, I'm much more likely to be woken up by the audio feature than the light. I don't dare rely on the light alarm without setting a phone backup as well.

I'll admit that when the light does wake me up, it's faaaar more pleasant than the usual klaxon blaring from my phone. Unfortunately, that happens less than 10% of the time.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Techmoan goes into excruciating detail on those and just crowned his favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGXiXz6QXQ4

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
You could go a semi-DIY route, as there are tutorials out there for pretty much anything. And if/when you're stuck with things you just can't do yourself, hire an artist, either a local one or someone overseas who'll work on Fiverr or some similar service. My one experience hiring someone to do simple Illustrator stuff on Fiverr was positive, but I'm sure it's a crapshoot.

Not that going DIY is guaranteed to be a whole lot cheaper than hiring a pro. It sure as hell won't be faster.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I think the Kickstarer plan could be viable, but this:

the black husserl posted:

Then I would contact the publishers of Dinotopia and explain I am a bespoke publishing house looking to recreate beloved children's books as if they were 18th century artifacts. This is the toughest part but I bet you could convince them since it would be great publicity.

sounds like it would be like pulling teeth or completely wipe out any profitability for the person organizing it. I have a feeling that copyright holders are a humourless and/or viciously protective bunch.

In general though, I agree there's something there. If you were to go the route of significantly/creatively re-imagining some recognizable property and provide a high-end product, I'd bet there's a market for it. I recently mainlined a bunch of videos by a woodblock printer who (in collaboration with a designer) produced a bunch of "video game characters reproduced in Japanese woodblock printing style" prints. Here's a Mario Kart example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bHomYLrTME

I'm not a big enough fan of these games to get the prints (mostly watched for the technique because I'm a wannabe printmaker myself), but this was apparently hugely successful on Kickstarter. Nerds with money, as mentioned before.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I was about to suggest the Copenhagen Wheel buuut it's an order of magnitude more expensive than the eBay kits.

I'm sure it's way more polished and easier to integrate, I just don't know if it's worth 10x the money.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
CC works well on my Roku 3. It even supports CC on local files you play back from the USB drive, so it might work on the streaming stick version too.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I don't have an answer -- never heard of such a product -- but I really need to know what car that is :psyduck:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

OGDanDogg posted:

2011 Taurus (dont make fun of me, I got the SHO). It was time for a turbo couch.

Not trying to make fun, honestly. It was just such an unusual situation that I couldn't think of an example myself.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm about to suggest an expensive, basically orthopedic pillow, but it hugely improved my quality of sleep, so...

https://relaxtheback.com/products/contourside-pillow

fe: that style really only works for side sleepers

For real, don't cheap out on your bed or shoes. It's old-man advice, but goddamn does it make a difference.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

svenkatesh posted:

whats a good bathroom scale? the reviews on the ones recommended by the wirecutter are garbage

Get a mechanical beam one, like those at the dr's office. They're more expensive and larger, but they also don't use any of that electronic trickery to create a false sense of precision.

I've had mine (Health O Meter brand) for about 9 years and it's still working great, showing my sinusoidal weight loss and gain with wonderful accuracy.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'd like a pair of slip-on rain boots that would be waterproof for up to 30 minutes at a time while my insane dog drags me through storms and puddles. We don't get rain all that frequently (central TX) but it can get ugly when we do. Ideally they'd be under $50. Am I basically looking at random Hunter knockoffs on Amazon or is there some secret go-to brand I'm not aware of?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Bellroy frequently comes up as a suggestion for slim wallets on the internet. Haven't handled one myself though.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Leavemywife posted:

When it comes to buying contacts online, I've never done it before. Do any of you buy your contacts online? I'm really thinking about switching over from my glasses, but my preliminary research is showing me that this poo poo is expensive. Is there a site you recommend?

I used to, before getting my eyes zapped (which is one of those Genuine Life Improvements and something I wish I had done years ago). 1-800 Contacts was my go-to as well, although price-wise they weren't any better than ordering from the doctor, just more convenient.

But in general -- yes, contacts are more expensive than sticking with glasses. Even so, switching to them was a huge improvement over glasses. Your doctor will obviously provide better advice, but I'd go for the highest quality contacts you can afford.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
My wife has bought a bunch from Zenni over the years and likes them a lot.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Also, I suggest getting a bigger one than you think you need. To me, the biggest benefit of Instant Pots is the ability to make large batches quickly.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
A bike tire pump is what I use too. Just make sure it's compatible with the Schrader valve, and not exclusively with the Presta.

Although, I don't see a problem with having a portable, 12V compressor in your car(s) instead or in addition to the bike pump for emergencies. They work fairly well, and you may not want to be manually pumping up a tire on the side of the road if it's super hot/cold/raining out there.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Thomamelas posted:

I use one of Red Oxx's backpacks and laptop bags as my carry ons for the last few years and they've held up really well. The only wear they show is where they've managed to find dust in an overhead bin. And that's with three years of travel with 36 trips or so per year.

I don't travel nearly as often, but seconded: RedOxx stuff is beastly. Pricey (for soft luggage) but seemingly indestructible.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

EdBlackadder posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for an electric kettle with variable temperature? I'm making more coffee and I'm scorching the grounds too much. Needs to be available in the UK.

I like the Cuisinart CPK-17, seems to be available on Amazon UK. It's funny that the American got it for making tea, while the Brit is looking for one for making coffee.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

1redflag posted:

I’m guessing you live somewhere with 0 humidity or you just never have to go anywhere that isn’t air conditioned? Not wearing an undershirt while wearing a suit & tie in the south is a recipe for disaster.

Austin, TX here, wear a suit and tie on occasion, and I'm still with the No Undershirt Brigade. What's the scenario where you're wearing a suit and tie in the South and there's no AC? And if that's a common occurrence, make some changes to your life because gently caress that hell.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Lawson posted:

Good point, thanks.

There's also the tea thread.

Based on the smokiness, it might also be a pu-erh, although those often tend more toward earthy/funky.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Van Dis posted:

I swear Apple makes these things weak on purpose.

Probably true, but I'd put it as less "let make it break" and more "religious opposition to proper strain relief in cable design" for some insane reason.

Anyway, my wife like Anker's replacement cables.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Music & Memory also seems to like the iPod Shuffle (or iTouch) but I guess it really depends on each person using it.

Would the older models of SanDisk Sansa Clip be any better? They're pretty small too.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't know if there's a more reasonably-sized version of that sort of thing that I can mount to the back of my oversized wingback chair(it's old and busted up, I don't care how it looks with stuff attached to it so that's not an issue, it's just super comfortable and big) and have some kind of holder to mount the keyboard to, but that'd be cool if there was.

It sounds like a tricky one, mostly because everyone has their own preferred keyboard ergonomics. There are a number of "keyboard arms" out there but I think most of them assume you'll be clamping them to a flat surface (i.e. desk). Then there are gooseneck "tablet arms" -- one of which I use to support a small auxiliary monitor on my desk -- but that also requires clamping and wouldn't stand up to typing.

How about one of those laptop desks that either go under the chair or roll around, would that work?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Logitech Harmony remotes have always worked well for me. I think the screen versions are completely unnecessary so my vote is for this:

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/harmony/harmony-companion.915-000239.html

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

St_Ides posted:

That is a huge budget, and with your wants you’d be so much better off finding a local furniture maker and have them design and make it to your specs.

Call a woodworking shop and ask if they can recommend a furniture maker (or if they do it themselves). Or even just local Facebook groups (get references).

That’s the only way you’re going to get exactly what you want.

I like this answer.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Trapick posted:

I'm looking for a water bottle that I can freeze; not that has a freezable insert, but one I can fill halfway with water, toss in the freezer, and pull out later so I have a big block of ice in the bottom. Old school nalgenes used to work for this - I tried a new one and the bottom burst. Some bottled water works ok, but most bulge annoyingly on the bottom and only last 2 or 3 freeze cycles.

Alternatively is there a brand of bottled water that's specifically designed to be freezable? Only filled 80% or whatever, appropriate material and thickness, etc.

I have a Polar Bottle and their FAQ says:

quote:

The Polar Bottle Water Bottles are freezer safe so long as the bottle is not more than 3/4 full. Freezing a full bottle could cause the bottle to split. Filling a bottle halfway, freezing it overnight and topping it off in the morning before a long day is a great way to keep your water cold all day.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Get a camera bag or satchel. I'd rather cosplay as Indiana Jones or even

than a footballer.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Weird question, but does anyone know where I could get some, say, discarded used industrial control panels? You know, things that look like this:

Just panels, like 6-10" a side, full of big clunky buttons, switches, etc...like out of an old manufacturing line or CNC mill or something.

I have no plans for them, but thinking it could be fun to mess around with them, sort of decorate my garage or basement in a weird techno-industrial concept, heh.

I'd think salvage yards, auctions, etc. Although with auctions you're getting into "buy a piece of equipment just for the panel" territory.

Honestly, it sounds like a fun DIY project. Metal sheets are available in most home centers, old buttons and switches can be found -- sometimes in bulk -- on ebay/etsy/amazon. Graphics can be transferred to bare metal or painted on. It's almost endless!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Maybe "guard" as an extra search term?

You might find the right thing at Digikey or Mouser or McMaster-Carr. They've been my go-to for obscure and/or tiny components. The search options sometimes get... deep

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That reminded me of the dining table we got at IKEA, which they don't sell any longer, but they do have this one: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/idanaes-drop-leaf-table-white-00487652/

No wheels and a tight squeeze though.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Also do we have a boot thread because I'm gonna fuckin loose it looking for new boots.

Yo.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Personally I use an elaborate system of ropes and pulleys

I recommend the Zephyr setup made by Prescott National; it's the only piss prep system on the market using the outward motion rather than the downward, eliminating the need for the special harness

And avoid the Midgley Method, the consequences are dire.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a wallet that can hold things very securely? By securely I just mean a wallet that holds things tightly. I am an incredibly clumsy and oblivious person and I'd like a wallet where nothing can fall out.

I've never had anything fall out of a regular bifold, but if it's that big of a concern: how do you feel about a zippered wallet? They make them smaller and larger, depending on how much stuff you carry.

Also, how much do you want to spend? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Lester Shy posted:

Anybody have vacuum recommendations? Is there a vacuum thread? I need a new one in the $100-250 range, preferably something specifically made for low pile carpet. Bagless/cordless would be a nice bonus, but I'm happy to sacrifice features for performance. I don't really care about attachments at all; I just need something that does a very good job vacuuming.

I like the Shark Navigator series with one major caveat (which might not apply to your situation): the rollers cannot be taken out for cleaning. As in, the roller assembly does not come apart, at least that I could figure out.

So if you have long-haired people or pets in your home, eventually you'll have to spend some time with scissors and knives and whatnot trying to untangle the rollers. It's an unpleasant task made worse by being unable to take the rollers out.

But as a vacuum, it works really well.