Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
This is a longshot, but has anyone used an HDMI-to-multimode fiber connector? They're usually in a transmitter/receiver set. I need one for work, and it's hard to figure out what's good, and what's just drop-shipped garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

null_pointer posted:

Need a Pixel 6 Pro phone case that is practical but aesthetically not-garbage

I like the Spigen Liquid Air cases, I have them for my Pixel 7 and Pixel 4a.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

any recommendations for shoe brands for wide feet? i had hemp shoes i really liked but it bust near the pinky toe. looking for a mix of walking shoes and something nicer

New Balance for walking shoes, Hush Puppies for dressier shoes.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

I have extremely wide feet, complete with bunions due to garbage genes, and went through a whole process of trying, shopping and returning in recent weeks.

You’re approaching this the wrong way. I’ve found that Altras are good for wider feet, yeah, but many of their shoes have questionable durability and style. You don’t need to constrain yourself by brand.

You can just get the wide or extra wide size in regular shoe brands. For me, the best options have been Brooks, New Balance, Saucony and Asics. But heck, I found that even brands with reputations for being narrow have wide variants that fit well. My wide Hokas are real roomy. I’m so happy to have found nice shoes that don’t hurt my feet.

I guess the question should be "how wide?"

I have a 14EEEEEE foot, which is, from what I've been able to find, the widest commercially-manufactured shoes that exist (I recognize that this is well outside two standard deviations from the mean). I've never seen a company outside of New Balance or Hush Puppy make them, most companies that have an "extra wide" is usually EEEE. Anything that doesn't have a reputation for wide shoes doesn't come close.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Give me your favorite shower curtain hooks or rings or loops that fit a 1.5" diameter shower rod.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

I have ones that are basically exactly like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Titanker-Curtain-Rust-Resistant-Bathroom-Curtains/dp/B081YQBPSS

They're good in a few ways:
It's an open hook, so it easily slips on and off the rod. I've had both metal and plastic ones before that "clipped" in and it made it more of a pain to take on/off or when I had to clean or replace the shower curtain/liner.

Ball bearings on the top so it slides easier than plastic loops.

There are two hooks on the bottom, so that you can have the liner and curtain on their own hook, again, making it easier if one has to be changed/cleaned but not the other, and it helps keep the liner on the inside of the tub and curtain on the outside.

These only fit 1" rods.

My issue is that as far as I can tell, there is basically one or two manufacturers of shower curtain hooks/rings/loops, and they only make them to fit 1" shower rods. I find the same holders under all sorts of different brands, but Home Depot, Target, and Lowes all carry the same ones with different branding, and they're all made to fit 1" rods, as far as I can tell.

I cannot imagine my house has the only 1.5" shower rod in the world, but I am starting to believe.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

OH. Huh. Weird.

Might be easier to replace the rod? Is it a real shower curtain rod, or does it look like the PO just used, like, a random piece of pipe?

I'm honestly leaning towards that, but it feels like a really stupid reason to replace a shower rod. The mounts are fitted to a 1.5" rod, too, and screwed to the wall (it's not a tension rod), so I'd have to pull those, too.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wendigee posted:

I don't really understand whats going on....

I have a 5a, i got over 2 years ago with google fi.

They said if i paid like 24 bucks a month i'd get an upgrade for free.

well that upgrade is a 7a and its 28 bucks a month for 2 years if i stay on the "upgrade" plan....

Or I can just get a Pixel 8 for 14 dollars a month, just an a seemingly existing offer and add 8 bucks for accidental damage repair.

what am i missing? i don't get it. Does the 8 suck? it looks neat?

why is their upgrade service so poo poo? are they just selling the 8 really cheap right now and if I'm not on the plan ill be paying like 400 bucks in 2 years or something if i want to upgrade because they won't have these sales? can anyone get this pixel 8 offer?

The 8 is brand new. They tend to have really good deals on the newest phone. I got my Pixel 7 for $100 (with a trade-in of a Pixel 3XL) through Verizon when it first hit.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I recently bought a house, and my housemates have a cat, and the cat likes to hang out on my window with it open. Is there a good cat bed for that? The sill is about four inches wide, I don't want one that hangs off the window since he likes it to be open (I also like it to be open).

So you can see what I'm talking about :

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

where do people get home stuff thats not amazon? i dont doing minor building. assuming ikea is the cheapest whats a level above that? Wayfair? i guess i would consider local chains as well. (think furniture like desks/lamps/kitchen)

Craigslist, Nextdoor, and estate sales are where I've been getting furniture.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Captain Duvel posted:

I'm looking for a laptop-ish to mainly use for documents/browsing. I also like to use a keyboard but I don't want a tablet or a full on heavy laptop. Preferably no more than $350?

This makes me sound old. My desktop is outdated and I'm tired of using my phone to navigate documents.
Anything sub-$600 you're going to want a Chromebook. There's a dedicated Chromebook thread that might give you better advice than this one:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838891&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Probably cross-post this, but is there a good way to get temporary internet? Our fiber is down, and there's a tech out tomorrow, but if there's an option to get things up before the weekend (even if it were just 4G or something), that would be great. South Seattle, if it matters. I checked out Verizon home internet and Google Fiber Webpass, and neither of those are available at my address.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

Does anyone have (or better yet know someone personally that makes them) a good vendor for a leather bag? One of the more medieval deals with a drawstring. I was doing some cleaning up and found my old set of tabletop dice in the prerequisite Crown bag (Green) and thought it would be nice to toss them into something a hair less "a Crown Royal bag" before putting them away and forgetting about them.

eBay and Etsy are lousy with drop shippers, and I'm sure the quality is fine, but I figured I'd ask. Surprisingly few leather goods people on SA Mart it turns out.

I've gotten my last couple of dice bags at cons. There are usually at least a couple of leather workers in the vendor section.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Probably 12-15 years ago, I bought a Timbuk2 messenger bag with the intention that it'd be large enough to easily hold my shoes if I needed it to, which meant I got the large. I have Goon proportions, so it didn't look completely ridiculous, and while I didn't need it for my shoes as often as I thought I would, it was very nice for doing things like holding three fifths of liquor from a liquor store trip (the liquor store I like is a bit of a schlep, and I didn't own a car for most of that time) or a twelve-pack of spicy water from the grocery store. A couple of weeks ago, it finally gave up the ghost, where one of the straps tore off the bag. In addition, the interior lining has been flaking off for a couple of years now, and it's just shabby as hell (my mother hates it when I visit). What's the new hotness for bigass bags? Definitely wouldn't object to another Timbuk2, but I might go with the backpack instead of the messenger bag now. I'd like something that can comfortably hold a laptop when necessary, and the straps definitely need to be beefy enough to easily hold 10-20 pounds, maybe a bit more than that. I use the thing at work and take it with me most places I go, and I live in Seattle so being relatively waterproof is pretty much mandatory (the Timbuk2 was great for this). I'mma cross-post this to the bag thread, too.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any good recommendations for board game bowls? Like, bowls you can break out to hold board game pieces? I'm thinking ideal would be like a set of 12, in like three different sizes.

My housemates are eventually going to get tired of me bogarting the sauce bowls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

To that end, does anyone know of a crown royal-ish sized leather(ish) sack I can toss my dice inside? Etsy and ebay have tons but they're all gaudy overpriced drop shipped nonsense. I just want a plain sack and drawstring.

A lot of crafts people used to sell hand made dice bags at cons back in the day at really reasonable prices.