Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

I appreciate the recommendation but $5-700 for a sound system is well beyond what I can spend.

The Wirecutter really likes this Monoprice set.
http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/10565

They also recommend the speaker set I own (the Pioneer set) so I figure their recommendations for budget gear are also reliable.

Would you also consider 5.1 soundbar sets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Wanamingo posted:

Thanks, I'll try some of that. It seems like most chapsticks work by sorta locking the moisture in, which is okay for preventing chapped lips, but doesn't do much to actually heal them. Hopefully that hydrocortisone will make a difference.

If you've got money to burn and a sympathetic dermatologist, look into tacrolimus ointment (brand name is Protopic). I use that to heal the skin around my lips when shaving irritates them. It's CAD$80/ 50mL tube, though. You only use a tiny amount when applying, so it can last a long time.

Cortisone can thin skin if used over a long period of time, but tacrolimus used as an ointment doesn't have the same effect. It does heat up and get mildly uncomfortable, so try using it before bed.

Otherwise, I just dab on some water, then cover my lips in petroleum jelly. YMMV.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

dantheman650 posted:

This got buried last page. Any recommendations?

I really like Panasonic's ARC series for electric razors. They keep constant speed until the battery runs out.

Newegg tends to have them on sale from time to time.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Danger Mahoney posted:

I get sweaty hands when I need to use a mouse for over twenty minutes. I was thinking the solution to this would be an extremely small fan aimed at my hand. Does anyone have any recommendations for a very small, quiet fan for my desk? Maybe clip on?

http://www.geekalerts.com/usb-optiwind-mouse-with-cooling-fan/

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

PRADA SLUT posted:

Looking for a shampoo* or hair mask or something that's basically strictly for anti-dandruff.

[...]
DIY is fine as long as it's not something like soaking your head in vinegar so it smells for a week straight.

This worked for me. YMMV.

No shampoo. Wash your hair with straight water. Gentle scalp massage. Use soap on your hands to get the excess oil off, rinse hands, scrub scalp with clean hands. REPEAT.

You might have to do it four or five times during a shower for the first little while, but eventually you should only have to do it twice. Ultimately, if your scalp is dry enough to flake, your scalp may need time to reach its own equilibrium.

I tried H&S, Pantene clarifying shampoo, Nizoral, "organic" shampoos and conditioners containing tea tree oil, herbal shampoos to treat psoriasis, and even some natural blend I found in a place called Earth's General Store. Now I do this. No dandruff.

Give straight water a shot and be sure to soap/rinse your hands before touching hair. Maybe it'll work for you too?

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014
The Mattress Underground is also a good place to go learn about how mattresses are made and what that means for you.

http://www.themattressunderground.com

Also check if you have mattress manufacturers in your area. Where I live, there are some speciality foam shops that also make their own mattresses, with the highest-end models topping out at CAD$500. Plus you get to try out the mattress first before having it shipped to your home.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Prosthetic Head posted:

Going local is a great idea, I'm in Toronto, but regularly travel all over Ontario with a large vehicle for work so I guess all of Ontario is semi-local to me. At my previous job I dealt with http://www.foamite.com/ because I needed to buy some high-density foam, maybe I'll dig up the name of the agent there. If you happen to have experience with a particular place would you mind pointing me in that direction? Thanks!

I'm living on Vancouver Island, so I can't recommend anything local. I'm looking at "The Foam Shop", which is a chain, and "The Foam Zone", which may or may not be a chain. But I'm still shopping; I need to bring the wife in to try them out before we commit to anything.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Irritated Goat posted:

Goons, I need a new wallet. I'm currently using a phone\wallet case but want to move to something a bit slimmer since I'm also looking for a car phone mount as well. Help?

I really like my Jimi. I'm on my second one since I tossed my first one around too much and the hinge broke.

http://thejimi.com

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Can anyone recommend a lotion or something for the backs of my hands? They get terribly dry in the winter and the only thing that seems to work is petroleum jelly, which is very gross.

Vaseline Intensive Care "problem skin therapy". It was also sold as "Vaseline Creamy". It's a cream (so, water-based) that contains ~30% petroleum jelly, so it's quite thick but rubs on like a cream and soaks in quite well. Just look for a circular all-white jar with rounded edges.

As an aside, I was taught there are three different types of skin treatments - lotions, creams, and ointments. Lotion = alcohol base, cream = water base, ointment = oil base. If you have really dry skin, you might want to avoid lotions, as the alcohol that helps it dry faster is also not terribly good for dry skin.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

life is a joke posted:

Is there a thread for mattresses somewhere? I'm trying to decide between all these new internet ones like purple and casper, or be talked out of the idea completely. I have a nice mattress from a regular store but I'm doing a cross country move and don't want to lug it with me. Since I've bought that one I've heard a dillion podcast ads for the it-comes-in-a-box kinds and I'm curious - also it would save me a lot of hassle to just have it waiting in the lobby of my new place when I get there.

I went here:
https://www.themattressunderground.com/

I spent about an hour reading the stuff the site operator said to read. That helped me understand more about mattresses in general.

Then I found several local shops, tested some in-store models, and eventually bought a $1500 latex support mattress and latex comfort topper. It has been bliss.

If the area you're moving to has local mattress manufacturers, give them a try first. You'll at least get to try them out a bit before committing to buy. Since most online foam
mattresses are all made in a similar way, you can see if there's something equivalent that delivers the comfort level you want. Then buy online, if that suits your fancy.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

obi_ant posted:

Also, this might not be the right place, but I'm wondering about power bricks. More specifically, the thingy that the wire goes into to charge phones and stuff like that. I have a few bricks laying around the house and I'm a bit confused as to which one charges my electronics "faster". For the brick I assume I should be looking at the total output, 2A, 1.67A and 1.25A; but I assume that this is also determined by my device's input.

So a 2A output from my brick wouldn't matter if my device can only accept 1.67A? Assuming that my brick can do 2A and my device can take 2A, then my unit would charge at 2A?

You can use a charger with more Amps than the product specifies - it will only draw as much current as it “asks for”. Less Amps from the DC charger and the equipment can’t get all of the energy it needs, so it may not charge or even power on.

BUT - Volts must absolutely match. More or less Volts and there is potential to damage equipment.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

black.lion posted:

I need a hanger thing that I can hang over a door (standard thickness?) that can hold a pretty heavy mirror (mb 25+lbs.) - I've found hangers on amazon that will fit my door, and hangers that can hold up to 30 lbs., but not one that fits both needs.

I'd just drive a nail into the door but the door is hollow so I'm pretty sure the mirror would just rip it out.

Any suggestions?

Fishing line and brass thumbtacks.

Make a loop of fishing line, drive two thumbtacks into the top of your door, and loop the fishing line around both tacks. Hang the mirror from the fishing line.

The gap between the top of your door and the jamb should still have enough space to allow thin thumbtacks, I hope. Otherwise, you could sand it down a little bit to “countersink” the tacks.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

couldcareless posted:

Looking for an affordable but reliable light switch I can set on a time based activation. This will be used for porch lights outside our house. I'm looking to have them turn on at dusk and off at dawn.

Would a photo sensor also be applicable? I found CFL bulbs at Home Depot Canada with photo sensors built-in and they worked well enough. When the sun goes down, they turn on. And off again when the sun comes up.

Pretty sure they were made by Phillips or Sylvania.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I live in an area that has much drier air than where I moved from and right now I am going nuts with itchy dry skin especially on my feet and hands. Can anyone recommend a non-girly smelling moisturizer or lotion that might help?

Vaseline Problem Skin Therapy Creamy Petroleum Jelly 220mL https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003M5UN02/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_AkWnAb5F343T6

It’s part-Cream, part-petroleum-jelly.

Also, as weird as it feels to have on, petroleum jelly-based compounds should be more effective at healing dry skin than water-based creams or alcohol-based lotions. If you don’t have chronic dry skin, though, it’s probably not necessary to go that far.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

This might be a weird one:
I live in a rental with huge, lovely windows. One of which is a sliding glass door.
They let in the cold air like a motherfucker.

I obviously can't replace them and probably won't be here long enough to justify expensive curtains.

Is there a temporary solution that will get me through the winter? I saw some sorta plastic shrink wrap. Is that any good?

I’ve heard of people also using bubble wrap to insulate windows. Either big sheets of plastic wrap shrunk with a hair dryer or bubble wrap will probably do the job. Regardless of which method you try, I think it’ll prevent you from using the door because it’ll be sealed shut to the frame. Would that be a problem?

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Looking for a recommendation for a vacuum. Specifically, one that is good at actually picking up pet hair and kitty litter from carpet, not just moving it around.

I’ve been really happy with my Miele Cat & Dog model. I picked it up used and it’s quiet and reliable.

There was a reddit thread where a vacuum repairman recommended Miele because they’re reliable and also easy to repair if they *do* break down. It’s what he was using himself. So I took the plunge and have been very impressed.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Slimy Hog posted:

Are there any recommendations between these two price points or is the consensus that anything in between is not worth the extra cost? I'm more than happy buying the shark since it's at a decent price, but I have the extra budget if there was something significantly better but I don't have $1000 to spend on the Miele.

You can get a Miele canister model for CAD$350, according to ads I’ve seen in my city. I can’t remember if that comes with a powered nozzle or not, though. I bought mine used with a Powerhead for CAD$300. If you’re going to drop that kind of cash and you’ve got a vacuum store in your town, go check it out. Run one and see how you like it.

CAD$1000 gets you something more like a Riccar, which are crazy expensive and supposed to be top-notch. I’m cheap, so it was definitely not on my radar. Also, I wanted the next vacuum I bought to feel like the *last* vacuum I was going to buy, and the Miele really does feel like that.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Van Dis posted:

Alright you winter veterans, I'm about to experience my first snowy winter, of many to come. What are your best cold-weather gear and wintertime purchase recommendations (other than clothing)? I've got good coats and jackets, long underwear, beanies, scarves, and light gloves, but I need heavier gloves for dealing with snow, good pants, etc.

For reference, I'm coming from sunny, coastal California.

Don’t start with gloves. Start with mittens. Or at the very least, get those convertible glove/mittens

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/men-s-hot-paws-fleece-flip-mitts-assorted-0821776p.html#srp

They don’t have to be this style or brand, but they’re way handier and keep your fingers warmer.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Nephzinho posted:

My baratza encore is running strong under nearly a decade of daily use.

Seconded. I know two other people who use this model and they will never buy another. We even ended up getting one for our business.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Captain Lavender posted:

Below freezing weather and snow has hit where I live, and my hands instantly dried up like a desert. 4 of my knuckles are split and bleeding.

I've tried Eucerin hand cream, and a few others, but nothing is helping. Any recommendations for a really good or restorative hand cream? I had decent results with O'Keefe's foot stuff, is their hand cream good too?

Otherwise, I drink a lot of water, not sure how to prevent dry skin like this.

Vaseline makes a couple of different creams that share a lot of ingredients. I’ve used the Problem Skin Therapy cream for about five or ten years now:

https://www.vaseline.com/ca/en/products/lotions-and-moisturizers/vaseline-lotion-therapy.html

But I just picked up the Clinical Care cream, hoping it’ll be as good or better:

https://www.vaseline.com/ca/en/products/lotions-and-moisturizers/vaseline-lotion-overnight.html

My dermatologist told me decades ago to avoid lotions, as they’re based around alcohols (which have a drying effect). Creams are based around water (which have less of that effect), and ointments are based around oils (which take longer to dry).

The Vaseline creams I linked contain some petrolatum, so they don’t dry out as fast, but I find they also don’t feel greasy (which you might expect from something containing a lot of oil).

Skin care is definitely one of those things you have to dial in yourself, though. I’ve tried stuff that worked for one person that never ended up working for me. Good luck.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

I have a separate pantry for once in my life and I'm stocking it with dry goods.

One special thing is I want is a bunch of actually good instant/pot noodles.

Who sells the good poo poo that will ship to America? Japan has crazy-good stuff but I can't find them for a reasonable price.

Try “Indo Mie” brand of “Mi Goreng” noodles. They have three liquid packs, a dry seasoning pack, and a tiny pack of fried onions.

I can find them at most grocery stores in Canada, including Walmart, so Walmart USA might stock them.

They don’t have all the extra veggies and meat bits that you can get from Nissan Cup Noodles, but they’re pretty drat tasty.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Rolo posted:

So what’s the good memory foam nowadays? Purple?

Depending on your budget, you could look at latex rubber mattresses. Bounces like a spring mattresses, with all the nice support and sink of a foam mattress.

If you live in a city, there might even be some local shops that sell latex mattresses at a good price.

I did a lot of reading here before buying:
https://www.themattressunderground.com

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Is there such a thing as an insulated flask? I'd love to take a small thermos with me while I go skiing to hold a hot drink but I want to be able to put something flat in my pocket instead of a giant cylinder.
I am having trouble finding anything like this but it must exist... Right?
It doesn't even have to work THAT well, just hold heat for a few hours.

Nalgene makes flat rectangular bottles. Maybe that’ll hold heat a bit better than metal?

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Nephzinho posted:

Looking for a vacuum, probably one of those smaller hand vacuums for an apartment. The last two I've gotten were both very cheap and ultimately poo poo. The roomba I got back on the first Prime Day doesn't hold a charge long enough to get through one room. Time to get something that works.

I own a second-hand Miele Cat&Dog canister vac and it’s one of the quietest vacuums I’ve ever heard. Does a great job too. However, it’s not a stick vacuum.

I saw a thread on Reddit from a vac repairperson who recommended models from dedicated vacuum shops, because the increased price does mean higher quality. Like, I had never heard of Riccar before but apparently, they make some bulletproof stuff.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1pe2bd/iama_vacuum_repair_technician_and_i_cant_believe/

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a wallet that can hold things very securely? By securely I just mean a wallet that holds things tightly. I am an incredibly clumsy and oblivious person and I'd like a wallet where nothing can fall out.

I’ve been using a Jimi for a while and it definitely holds things securely.

https://www.thejimi.com

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

I have this blender. it's a very nice blender from I think the 50s I got at a rummage sale that was in pretty decent shape, no rust or anything, just some of the settings didn't work(sadly liquify is broken).

I've been using it daily to puree watermelon, strawberries, bananas, etc for smoothies, it's loving fantastic and far better than soda or whatever garbage. but I think it's starting to conk out, or maybe I need to get it lubed up or something, because it gets real loud and grindy and sometimes has trouble chopping up some stuff. I dunno if I can even get something like this repaired, so I might as well ask now in case I need a new one, what's the best blender on the market? I'd like options for both on a budget and if money is no option. I've heard Blendtec Blenders are phenomenal, but also

beyond that I am entirely unfamiliar with what blenders are good or not. something I can use daily that is easy to clean like this one would be nice, this old one is like 25 pounds of glass and metal, and cleans in seconds so long as you wash it out immediately upon pouring out the smoothie.

Thirding the Vita-mix rec.

I got mine through Craigslist for $75, though. It’s about thirty years old or so but it’s still crazy powerful. Even a used one is a great deal.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Quiet Feet posted:

One on the stove.

I know this straight-up ignores your criteria, but have you considered a hot water dispenser?

https://www.rosewill.com/rosewill-rhtp-22001-5-l/p/9SIA072HVT5929

I only ask because I have the 4L Rosewill (so, not that one I linked) and we really like it. My wife makes tea every night and it cuts down the wait time so you’re only waiting for it to steep. Plus, since the temp is configurable, you can set it up for the perfect temp if you e.g. drink more green tea.

I’ve shown these modes to my friends and family, and several of them opted to move from a kettle to a dispenser instead.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

tangy yet delightful posted:

I would use a Contigo Autoseal for this. I had one I used for years every day at work and when the spring wore out on the button to open/close it the company replaced the whole top under warranty.

Seconding the Autoseal.

I’ve got an older Contigo West Bend with the Autoseal top.

The only downside is that hot liquids can build up a little pressure, so you may find that when you press the button to unlock the seal and drink from it, it spits a few flecks of hot liquid out the mouth hole.

Just squeeze the button away from your face before drinking.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

tangy yet delightful posted:

Goons I beseech you, what rice cooker should I get? I'm only cooking for like 2 people so I don't need anything giant. A quick look at amazon and the Zojirushi brand seems to be all over $100 but I also know I've heard great things before about the brand.

Should I get one and if so what model?

Are there other brands that are close to as good but maybe significantly cheaper? I'm mainly just looking to be lazy and the only instant pot I have is a gently caress off giant one that doesn't make sense for using to make a small amount of rice in (which I'm mentioning here for completeness of not getting suggested to buy an instant pot).

For years, I used one of those $15.00 models you can get at almost any grocery store or Walmart-type situation.

I think it was a 3 or 4 cup model and it made two cups of rice just fine. I eventually gave it up because we got an Instant Pot 5L (which seems to need a minimum of 3 cups of rice in order to cook properly).

If I had to get a rice cooker again, I’d probably go back to the cheap model like before. My buddy has a Toshiba… Jazzberry?, which he got second-hand while living in Japan, and while it looks cool and makes pleasant sounds, it doesn’t seem to make rice any better than a generic $15 rice cooker.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Duck and Cover posted:

Aren't those bowls generally teflon? I suggest you get yourself a new bowl.

Some of the cheap ones are just aluminum.

Mine came with a plastic rice paddle and the admonition to ONLY use the plastic paddle, lest you scratch the aluminum.

And brother, let me tell you. I ONLY used the paddle it came with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

By popular demand posted:

Surely any wood or silicone tool would do just fine and most plastic utensils as well?

Oh absolutely. I even used a wooden scraper to get off the crispy bits at the bottom with no harm.