Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if we're doing recommendations for gifts, I just bought one of these for my dad, who is a big space nut.

https://ozmarecords.com/products/voyager-golden-record-3xlp-box-set

it's a set of LPs of the Voyager Golden Record, containing all of the audio from the original discs, as well as other things like a book, pin, etc. It's a neat item, the one I got was already opened so I took a look at the stuff inside and it's quite nicely made, I hope he likes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Humerus posted:

lmk when it comes with a kit to assemble your own record player like the probe actually has

Nah just kidding, that's cool as poo poo. gently caress I want it and I have no where to display it (or play it for that matter).
that's loving fascinating, I did not know that aspect of it.

the idea of getting my dad a copy of the golden record popped into my head when I was listening to a playlist and Melodysheep's Children of Planet Earth came on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6zulqXLPUw&hd=1

it's kind of unfortunate there's no "official" physical product for it, but the omni records are quite nice looking all the same.

the Golden Record is such a fascinating and hopeful creation of humanity.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my pedestal lamp on the right here broke and mildly electrocuted me when one of the lamp parts snapped off suddenly, leaving a black scorch mark on my hand. the one on the left is a tendril(?) lamp I bought at a yard sale recently but wound up never using but I think I'll just trash because both of these were bought used. what's a rock solid pedestal lamp I can buy new that comes highly recommended?

maybe a tall one that has a single bright LED bulb in the top part that illuminates from above? like this, roughly to scale with a typical chair:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cornuto posted:

Brightech Sky LED Torchiere Super Bright Floor Lamp - Contemporary, High Lumen Light for Living Rooms & Offices - Dimmable, Indoor Pole Uplight for Bedroom Reading - Brushed Nickel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W9FKF92/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_J88GS5APFE783G7WQMDT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Theres about 1000 manufacturers who all seem to be making similar versions of these LED torchiere lamps. This one has 16,000 Amazon reviews.
yeah, I tried looking up some and hit the same "1000 manufacturers" thing, so figured I'd ask here in case anyone knew specific good ones. thanks, I'll give that one a go.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cornuto posted:

Brightech Sky LED Torchiere Super Bright Floor Lamp - Contemporary, High Lumen Light for Living Rooms & Offices - Dimmable, Indoor Pole Uplight for Bedroom Reading - Brushed Nickel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W9FKF92/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_J88GS5APFE783G7WQMDT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Theres about 1000 manufacturers who all seem to be making similar versions of these LED torchiere lamps. This one has 16,000 Amazon reviews.
got this, assembled it, quite satisfied with it although it's a bit shorter than I'd like, but that's fixed with just putting it on something. compared to the prices for basically any other pedestal lamp I could find in local stores, 65 bucks is a steal. gonna pick up a few more of them I think. thanks again!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
alright, let's do it again, this time, for flashlights. I had a bunch of small maglites and the like, but they take 3 AAA batteries each and the batteries tend to crystallize fairly quickly(a year or so), what are some good LED flashlights that idk are rechargeable instead of using AA's or AAA's, or only use a single battery at a time maybe?

they don't need to be insanely bright, just decently so.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Idk what yer looking to use it for but I'd upgrade to something with an 18650 in it. I had a Thrunite tn12 for 6 years until too many drops made it want to turn on maybe 80% of the time.

Also do we have a boot thread because I'm gonna fuckin loose it looking for new boots.

Brother Tadger posted:

Fenix E05. Uses a single AAA battery, has three brightness level, fits easily on a keychain, hardy aluminum construction w/ water-resistance. I think they may sell a rechargeable version, but I feel like you’re probably better off w just using a rechargeable AAA battery. Should only run you about $20-30 bucks. I’ve got a few of these that I’ve used for over 5 years each and they still are going strong (and I’ve run over at least one of them w my car).

however, I’d ultimately recommend a headlamp instead so you can use your hands. For that, I’d recommend the Nitecore NU25 headlamp; rechargeable via usb, good runtime, multiple brightness levels, red light for maintaining night vision, and really light but still durable. I use one for backpacking and keep another in my car in case I have a blowout at night.
we've got a couple decent LED headlamps, it was the flashlights that were extraordinarily out of date and crappy.

based on you guys's recommendations, I picked up these:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R1Y7W3X
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K8H17QJ

thanks!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
flashlight trip report

this one:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R1Y7W3X

loving ABSURD. ABSOLUTELY LUDICROUS. It's like it shoots daylight! A perfectly focused beam of illumination wherever you point it, seemingly goes on forever. Only downside is that the batteries are not AA's or anything, they're like...jumbo AA's. not a real type of battery I don't think, so you can't supply your own. other than that, dirt cheap for how ridiculously powerful it is. just...just don't look at it by accident

this one:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K8H17QJ
decent baby flashlight. okay at close range, I can pee farther than it projects at a distance though. whatever distance they're claiming it lights up to is a lie. still, good for keeping in the car, pocket, purse, etc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol, belts

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lawen posted:

If you hold the waistband with your second hand, you can’t goof around on your phone while you piss. Unacceptable.

Please, help me understand your mysterious ways.
What is wrong with your bladder that you have enough time to accomplish anything on your phone while peeing, it takes like 20 seconds to pee.

Same with the "your balls get cold" thing, you're not keeping your junk out for more than 20-30 seconds right? Do you have that much trouble getting into the zone?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been using these Victor mousetraps for years now and they're perfect(though seem to have doubled in price since I got them), they almost always kill quickly and without much mess, but ever since the major snowfall last week we've been having an inordinate amount of mice coming in the house from the nearby forest. I was catching one every few days but now it's multiple per day, and I'm not around enough to reset it when I get one. Is there an optimal multi-mouse catcher I could go with? they're not particularly painless which sucks, but also there's way too many of the little bastards coming inside right now to get with single-use traps.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is the product request thread, not the pet adoption thread. I don't want a cat, I want a construct of plastic and/or metal to efficiently catch more than one mouse without needing to be reset every time so I can set it while I am not at home.

I own rodents and dogs, a cat has no place here anyways.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I suppose since I have multiple of the snap traps I'll just set more than one or two at a time and hopefully catch all of the little bastards in a row. I've seen the bucket dunker types of traps and they either work amazingly or not at all, no in-between.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rolo posted:

Don’t we have a mattress thread?

Im a side sleeper and I’m looking to buy a Layla mattress as per SleepLikeTheDead.com so I can get off my Amazon brand one but I want to talk about it with goons first.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813333&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah I have had a brother printer for 4 years and bought a bootleg toner cartridge two-pack for like 12 bucks and still haven't used the second one from the pack lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I put this off for way too long. I went to install my old air conditioner since it's getting to be 80-90 lately and when I went to clean it out before turning it on, found it was absolutely full of black mold. glad I didn't plug it in before checking!

I decided enough is enough, I want the best available, and unless I'm missing some other top shelf air conditioner, the Midea U-shaped air conditioner is one of the best on the market, right? we ship a shitload of them at UPS so it's definitely one of the most popular ones, at least.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

travisray2004 posted:

Not the most exciting request but does anyone know of a good can opener that won't dull, rust or shred metal pieces into the can after 3 uses?
I have had this Kuhn Rikon safety can opener for what feels like 20 years now, and it still works just as good as it did when I got it even after opening untold thousands of cans. it's not available on amazon anymore since I'm sure it's long out of production now, but if you can find it, I've not handled a better can opener.

here's a brand new one on ebay, a bit overpriced but I'd try messaging them to haggle it down if you want it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Birkenstocks maybe? I've got a pair I got as a gift that I've been wearing for well over a decade and they've only just begun to come apart after near constant use, very good quality. the only downside is having to break them in, but I used moleskin patches on the stiff leather until it became more flexible.

I wish I could repair them, but the cork or whatever the bottom of the shoe is made of has worn away over the years.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
okay, so I didn't expect these to work as well as they did, but it's loving mindblowing how fast they worked, so I'm sharing it here. We recently had an infestation of Indian Meal Moths, likely from a 50lb bag of rice I bought a bit back, and I recently expunged them. Haven't seen more than one or two for days now. Just to be on the safe side, I ordered Dr. Killigan's Pantry Moth Traps to see if it would catch any.

I set up a single trap in my kitchen area, then went to take a shower. Came back out, and it looked like this in the trap(not my image, but basically the same):

I set up a second one downstairs, the setup step recommends setting the trap up in triangle form, then waving it around the room to spread the pheromone scent. I did so downstairs and LITERALLY IMMEDIATELY, before I could even set the trap down, about a dozen male moths flew out of random locations they had been hiding and made a beeline for the trap.

it's staggering how effective it is. If you have Indian Meal Moth problems, these are extremely effective at catching the adult moths(males only though, females have to still be killed manually). There's a bunch of reviews comparing them with other similar style traps and it blows the others away in effectiveness.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have this blender. it's a very nice blender from I think the 50s I got at a rummage sale that was in pretty decent shape, no rust or anything, just some of the settings didn't work(sadly liquify is broken).

I've been using it daily to puree watermelon, strawberries, bananas, etc for smoothies, it's loving fantastic and far better than soda or whatever garbage. but I think it's starting to conk out, or maybe I need to get it lubed up or something, because it gets real loud and grindy and sometimes has trouble chopping up some stuff. I dunno if I can even get something like this repaired, so I might as well ask now in case I need a new one, what's the best blender on the market? I'd like options for both on a budget and if money is no option. I've heard Blendtec Blenders are phenomenal, but also beyond that I am entirely unfamiliar with what blenders are good or not. something I can use daily that is easy to clean like this one would be nice, this old one is like 25 pounds of glass and metal, and cleans in seconds so long as you wash it out immediately upon pouring out the smoothie.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
looking for a really good insulated cup with an extremely secure lid for taking a smoothie to work and it staying cold for at least 5 hours so I can have it cold during lunch

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I bought the Midea air conditioner, the one that's a top seller on amazon and lets you close your window 80% of the way even with it installed. It's an incredible thing, absolutely get one if you need a new air conditioner. It's famed for being basically silent, keeping a room cold with little difficulty, and using very little electricity, and on all of those counts it excels. My dinner-plate-sized fan is louder than this air conditioner, every other air conditioner I've used has made my UPS hub make its "warning click" when the air conditioner turns on, indicating it's struggling over the energy, but this one hasn't set it off a single time. And previous aircons would need to be set at 68 degrees to keep my room at like 75-80 because it's a very hot room, but this one I can set to 75 and it keeps it at actually 75 without effort, and circulates the air much easier than others.

It's expensive, like 350 bucks, but it was 100% worth it and I am considering getting a second one to replace the aircon downstairs too. Installation was intimidating but turned out to be much easier than expected, since most of the parts included are just there to adapt to any possible window type, I didn't use like 75% of the parts included. Amazing machine, and supposedly it's energy star rated to only costs like 40 bucks worth of electricity to run for a summer, though I don't know how accurate that is.

Captain Invictus posted:

okay, so I didn't expect these to work as well as they did, but it's loving mindblowing how fast they worked, so I'm sharing it here. We recently had an infestation of Indian Meal Moths, likely from a 50lb bag of rice I bought a bit back, and I recently expunged them. Haven't seen more than one or two for days now. Just to be on the safe side, I ordered Dr. Killigan's Pantry Moth Traps to see if it would catch any.

I set up a single trap in my kitchen area, then went to take a shower. Came back out, and it looked like this in the trap(not my image, but basically the same):

I set up a second one downstairs, the setup step recommends setting the trap up in triangle form, then waving it around the room to spread the pheromone scent. I did so downstairs and LITERALLY IMMEDIATELY, before I could even set the trap down, about a dozen male moths flew out of random locations they had been hiding and made a beeline for the trap.

it's staggering how effective it is. If you have Indian Meal Moth problems, these are extremely effective at catching the adult moths(males only though, females have to still be killed manually). There's a bunch of reviews comparing them with other similar style traps and it blows the others away in effectiveness.
also, quoting this to say that I still have the same three traps I set up in the above quote all those months ago, still in the same places, and they are STILL catching pantry moths even now. We got rid of most of the infestation but pantry moths are notoriously hard to eradicate entirely. These traps are definitely putting in the work on this new resurgence, checked and 4 new moths showed up in one since yesterday.

God I hate these little shits. The only flaw with the traps is it only catches male moths, and a shitload of them at that, which does definitely impact their reproduction, but not catching the females means it's harder to wipe them out entirely. But yeah, a near-perfect product.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my mom wants to try out forearm crutches instead of a regular cane. anyone have experience with them and have suggestions for an excellent type? I'm talking about these sorts: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B5QTZYQZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2B2CUQI3E5QJH&psc=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
what's the best medium-sized rice cooker under like 150 bucks? and what's the best drink container that keeps it cold for ages, price is (probably?) no object for that one

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Schmeichy posted:

https://shop.zojirushi.com/products/nswac

How much drink? Thermoflasks work well
I dunno, 1 liter maybe?

and as for rice cookers, I've had a black and decker rice cooker(looks a lot like this one) that I think is the same one that Roger Ebert was recommending over a decade ago. it still works great, but I'm wondering if there's any sort of amazing breakthrough in ricecooker technology since a decade ago, or if a rice cooker is a rice cooker is a rice cooker.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
got two zojirushi products for both of my aforementioned needs, this 16oz thermos and this rice cooker, both currently on sale for 20% off for black friday.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have this one, I don't think that price is correct, probably just because it's an old model and resellers as resellers do, but it's perfect for simple printing and has never malfunctioned. Wireless printing from my phone anywhere in the house, too, which I've actually used a couple times. I print ebay labels with it and it works like a dream, has printed probably around 6-7,000 pages in the last few years if I had to guess. Toner lasts a long time and there's plenty of cheap replacement options outside of official channels, I think I paid 15 bucks for a two-pack replacement pack and I'm still using the second one from that.

If you don't need color printing, a Brother is definitely the way to go, I'm sure someone can recommend a current model at a good price similar to the one I got.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My neighbors really helped me out the last couple weeks and I'd like to get them a nice gift. they're vegan and do a lot of vegetable gardening, are there some nice things that could get them, either good vegan snacks or stuff they could use in their garden or utility tools(like I gave them some very nice powerful flashlights at one point) folks could recommend?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah they used to have chickens but replaced the chicken pen with a blueberry bush pen instead a few years back. maybe that's when they went full vegan.

I'm more leaning towards small luxury doodads for them instead now rather than vegan snacks. something like the really nice nail clippers I got from this thread, or zojirushi thermoses for when they're out gardening in the summer, stuff like that. was thinking of a budget of like 60-80 bucks.

I plan on eventually buying them a snowblower as a big gift, but that's down the road, probably a gift for before next winter at this point. they're starting to get older and I don't want either of them having an incident while shoveling snow, my boss dropped dead while shoveling "heart attack snow" literally weeks away from retirement, so I've been wary of that ever since. they've always been family to us.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I gave it some thought and decided instead of foodstuffs I'm going to get the two of them some really nice zojirushi thermoses so they can have ridiculously cold drinks available while working in the garden, in not-too-huge containers.

on another note, is this the best collection of George Carlin available, or is there a better one? This one looks very thorough, though I've bought "ultimate collections" before that were anything but, so figured I'd ask.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
what's a really good, small-to-medium-sized pooper scooper in the style of this petco one, I have one of these but it's starting to break apart. might get another one, but if there's a more durable one that's similar that folks recommend, I'd go for that.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/so-phresh-dog-waste-scoop

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What are the best pedestal fans if money is no object, and what are the best ones if the budget is a hundred bucks?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So around the neck personal fans have become more prevalent, and with my absurdly hot workplace, I want to get a really good one. What is the best one on the market? There's a billion dollar store ones on Amazon but I want a really powerful one even if it's expensive.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wendigee posted:

Head attached fans have become popular?
I work in a poorly-ventilated warehouse that was 100 degrees yesterday, stagnant, and humid. everyones shirts were soaked through. it's awful. so yeah people are starting to wear fans like this one that I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RTVKBB4

it hooks easily around your neck and is unobtrusive, it's pretty decent for the iirc 12 bucks I paid at the time, but it's just not enough even on high. so I was hoping some folks here had recommendations for good quality more powerful ones.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so with the amazon sale going on right now, I want to get a new doorbell. are there any good doorbells in the prime day sale or is it all junk

possibly one with camera -> smartphone functionality

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What would be a good replacement for this ancient bulb that has been around for what feels like decades

Any particularly ideal brand or specific type for indoor spotlights like this? there's four of them in the kitchen, two of them dimmable and two of them not, so replacements for them all rather than just the one would probably be in order since they're probably not very energy efficient compared to new bulbs. Probably want LED replacements, yeah?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah these were just kinda...there, forever, and only finally bit the dust. I grabbed a four pack of LED spotlights off Amazon and will see how they fare. Thanks!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
just go to your loving doctor and talk to them about it to get something right for you. swallow your pride, talk to a professional, and don't buy gas station boner pills.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I take these vitamin chewables: Vitafusion Multivites and NOW Supplements Vitamin D-3 1,000 IU. They both work great for me, especially the Vitamin D, it's been downright life-changing. But I really don't like gummies. Are there multivitamins that fit the same bill as the vitafusion multivites but are crumbly chewables like the NOW supplements vitamin D chewables? basically, are there flintstones vitamins-style for adults that are the same supplemental makeup as the multivites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

tangy yet delightful posted:

Goons I beseech you, what rice cooker should I get? I'm only cooking for like 2 people so I don't need anything giant. A quick look at amazon and the Zojirushi brand seems to be all over $100 but I also know I've heard great things before about the brand.

Should I get one and if so what model?

Are there other brands that are close to as good but maybe significantly cheaper? I'm mainly just looking to be lazy and the only instant pot I have is a gently caress off giant one that doesn't make sense for using to make a small amount of rice in (which I'm mentioning here for completeness of not getting suggested to buy an instant pot).
I have had this particular Black and Decker rice cooker for what feels like 20 years(edit: about 15 years now that I think about it, since I got it around the time of my first roommate). it still works perfectly, though the inside of the bowl has worn away a bit from countless rubbings/scrapings/scoopings, it still works great and I've used it probably thousands of times at this point. It cooks up to 7 cups of rice at once, and cooks anything else you put in with the rice of course. It is braindead simple and literally has two settings, cook and warm.

here is an ebay listing for I think a brand new version of the same model I have for 40 shipped, if that one gets snatched up before you get it there's others listed that are lightly used for 10-20 bucks plus shipping. if you are absolutely on a budget it'll do you well for a long, long time.

e: I swear that the rice cooker Roger Ebert talked about was the above Black and Decker, but the page links to a zojirushi amazon listing now. maybe it's been updated since his death since that model of B&D cooker isn't made anymore, but I feel like the reason I bought that one in the first place is because he linked to it specifically.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Mar 28, 2024