Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I need washer and dryer recommendations. Electric, side by side, new or lightly used ($1200 or so for the set), in the US. I'm prepared to craigslist troll and scratch and dent search so I'd like good brands to buy and ones to avoid but specific models (especially if new) would be fine too.

Also my wife would prefer a top loader for the washer. High efficiency / energy star being a must.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

We have a Maytag Centennial washer/dryer combo we got from Home Depot. Fit your electric, side by side, HE, energy star, and top load requirements. Think the Bravos line is their top of the line upgraded one and should be able to be found used for your budget, ours was going into an apartment so we went with the cheaper one that we got on sale for like $700 new. Some people have problems with them around the three year mark but ours is still going strong.

Ended up getting a Whirlpool Cabrio combo from HD as well, had a great sale and came in a few hundred below our price ceiling after taxes/delivery. WTW7000DW and WED7000DW.

Lunchboxx posted:

I need a small indoor grilling/cooking device. Should I just go with a George Foreman grill or is there a specific something or other that I need to get? A smaller grill is preferable and price doesn't matter.

Having owned a george foreman, I don't like it and you should just cook on your stovetop with a cast iron or maybe a griddle/flat pan setup.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

I appreciate the recommendation but $5-700 for a sound system is well beyond what I can spend.

Just pick up whatever cheap 5.1 set is at walmart. I seriously did the same thing 5+ years ago and it will be fine while costing 150-200 then just spend the remaining money on whatever budget bluray player rounds out the 300.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

In the vein of dustless cat litter I've been buying natures miracle brand for the cat and haven't noticed any dust issues and I believe they advertise it as dustless.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I've had, and posted about, the Koyono Slimmy for 10 years now.

http://www.koyono.com/collections/slimmy-minimal-front-pocket-wallets

That's my recommendation (personally I'm a 3 pocket/red lining guy).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

My dog is getting old and grey and having more trouble than she used to in getting in and out of my car. I can kind of help lift her in and out, but she hates that. Any suggestions for some steps or a stool or something to help her climb in herself? Preferably something that can be collapsed somewhat so I can take it along with us to wherever it is I'm driving her. She's a standard poodle, so it needs to be sturdy enough for a medium/large dog.

What if you just make a chicken coop ramp type thing? Strip of plywood with some foot grab crossbars screwed into it.

If she's heavy enough maybe throw a 2x4 underneath it for support.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Frankston posted:

These are great, and can also double as a colonic irrigation/douche device too.

a nigga who brown nose from he own rear end a shameful nigga

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

nocal posted:

Real wood furniture? Everything seems to be made out of particleboard MDF now, and I'd gladly pay a bit more to have furniture that I can't accidentally break.

Specifically dining room table and chairs, but bookshelves and other stuff too would be good.

You might also want to look at local carpenters and will probably find that a custom piece from them will be equal in price or not much off a website/store selling real wood furniture.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Through The Decade posted:

I'm moving to a fancy new house soon that is going to have speakers in the ceiling in the kitchen/living room, the wires terminate in the basement. I need a receiver to run them but the market is full of things that do 4k passthrough and 7.2 sound and all sorts of things that don't apply to this scenario. I would want the ability to control it through an app though so I don't have to go downstairs to change songs or turn it off. TV is going in the basement too though so if multi-zone is a thing then maybe I could make use of a video passthrough after all, but I'm not looking to spend too much either way. Thoughts?

Check out this thread in IYG. That'll get you more appropriate eyes on this one.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm in the market for an in home security camera/baby monitor. I was hoping to have a wired option but long story short looking at wireless for now (can plug in to wall for power).

Needs:
Android and iOS app support
Strong security protocols (geofencing to view the feed would be awesome)
Video/sound
Night vision mode

Nice to have:
Pan/tilt/zoom
Good wifi antenna
IFTTT integration
Wall mount capable out of the box

TIA

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Only just under your cutoff but I am loving this dishwasher for how quiet and clean it gets stuff. Had it maybe 6 months?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Cafe-...SSJSS/207189312

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

I figure this is probably the right crowd to ask about this... Can anyone recommend a home planetarium projector? Preferably something a step up from the 30$ pinhole projectors, something more like the Sega Homestar.

I feel like there should be some really great stuff out there in 2017, but I'm not really finding much in the way of innovation like other consumer products.

If you want accurate representation of stars/milky way/other I couldn't find anything myself and just bought a Sega homestar. I'd be interested in someone proving me wrong.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm looking for a can opener that isn't a piece of poo poo. I don't need an electric one. Just a hand crank is fine but I've gone through all the grocery store ones either via them breaking or seizing up over time.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Awesome thanks!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

couldcareless posted:

Looking for an affordable but reliable light switch I can set on a time based activation. This will be used for porch lights outside our house. I'm looking to have them turn on at dusk and off at dawn.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AP92N...la-273780321491

This is what you want I think.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I also need speaker(s).

Looking for 1 or 2 speakers to put in my garage. Needs Bluetooth (ability to pair with 2 phones), wired power, ideally for $50 or less but if I need to spend more I can.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ended up getting a VAVA Voom 20 ordered from Amazon. I'll try to remember to post my thoughts when it arrives.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What is the best indoor TV antenna? Can be directional or not.

To clarify I already have one of the flat fractal inspired (or whatever) ones that picks up everything but NBC. I would like to get NBC dialed in before the Superbowl.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thwomp posted:

Have you checked websites like AntennaWeb to get a rough idea if your NBC station is receivable with an indoor antenna?

Yes I've done this and it acts like it should be totally fine just like Fox, CBS, and so on.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

couldcareless posted:

I need a new garden hose sprayer nozzle. Old one that we got from Costco finally bit the dust. I'm inclined just to pick up another when Costco inevitably puts out their spring yard care stuff, but is there some recommended model or brand out there that can give me some long term reliability?
This is honestly just a shot in the dark.

They are all poo poo. The more metal the longer it will likely last. Try and protect your hose and nozzle from freeze cycles in the winter.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

I know this is the thread for products, but what about services? I need to find a good interstate non-emergency medical transport for my mom. Heading from Maryland to Florida, likely soon. She is invalid & needs O2.

For that long of a ride I'm thinking she'd want a stretcher instead of a wheelchair. You could try contacting AMR or maybe Lifeguard (some big companies I know of), your best bet to know the station/crew is good would be local knowledge though. Unfortunately I'm in TN, you might try asking in the EMS thread. I did a lot of these back when I did EMS full time feel free to PM me.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Unless you have the tools and knowledge on how to true the new wheel you should see if you can find a local bike shop. They should be able to provide you with a low cost option suitable to your bike and needs plus handle the install.

Bonus, they may be able to repair your current wheel.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

surf rock posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for good bias lighting to put on the back of a TV? I hear it's all the rage but there are a bajillion options on Amazon.

I've bought the Luminoodle brand but haven't installed it yet, reviews looked positive anyway.

Request - Suggestions for a LED desk lamp. Looking for fairly bright light bonus points if I can easily reflect it off a wall for less direct light. I have one of those flexible LED clamp lights right now but it isn't very bright and I would prefer a sturdy base over a clamp design.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

1redflag posted:

Ask in the hardware/devices forums; they usually have a stickied-topic on the front page that is a “ask one-off questions here about what hardware you should buy” and they are usually on the bleeding-edge on any deals, etc.

This is probably best but depending on how much money you are willing to spend a new PC from Walmart looks to be $110-160 depending on which one you buy.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

bamhand posted:

I'm looking for the name of a product. We have a wooden chair that has little rubber/plastic tips on the bottom of each leg to help protect the floor. One of the tips have fallen off, what do I search for to look for a replacement? Chair tips and various other terms get me a sleeve/shoe you put on the entire bottom of the chair leg. I'm looking for a smaller thing that I can either glue, screw, or nail into the bottom of the leg that is smaller in radiu than the leg itself.

This is felt with an adhesive backing: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Self-Stick-1-Inch-6-Pack/dp/B001QCXXV4

What I've always used anyway.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

colas posted:

I heard that back-lighting your TV makes movie watching more enjoyable. I mean, literally placing lights behind your screen. Any of you actually do this? What do you use?

Luminoodle Color Bias Lighting - USB LED TV Backlight with Color, Adhesive RGB Strip Lights with Wireless Remote & Built-in Controller - X-Large (13.1 [Electronics]

I use this one. On Amazon at least they will tell you what size TV the different sizes will fit. Most TVs the USB port will turn on and off with the TV power which means once you get it setup you don't have to mess with the remote. It's honestly really nice.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I have a Shark Navigator Liftaway that works well on rugs with great Pyrenees fur. The only problem is fur wrapping around the brush roller so I exacto blade and pull out the wrapped hair after I vacuum so it doesn't become too much and clog the works all up.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Furia posted:

Is there any real difference between a power bank and another beyond mAh and either way can someone recommend one for me?

e: preferably not with it’s own cable or stupid features, not hideous and not super expensive if that combination of things exists

The quality/QC on a battery pack is important if you value things like not exploding or catching fire randomly. I just stick to buying Anker products because my balls not exploding in fire are worth the price (I keep my battery packs strapped to my taint).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

Anybody know what will get hard water stains off windows? The Internet says vinegar (the Internet ALWAYS says vinegar), but vinegar did not touch these stains. What else should I try before I just give up and call a window guy?

CLR? Be careful it doesn't damage the window trim.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m looking for a home generator. Something for power outages that can power our fridge, my dad’s CPAP, our A/C, and possibly a few other things depending on price. So something that can power 3 things at the very least, but possibly up to 8 or 10.

Suggestions?

If you want it to power your AC plus those other things you should really look at properly tying it in at your panel which means getting an electrician out to do it properly. They might have certain generators they recommend but Honda is always spoken of as having the best if you can afford it.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Snowmankilla posted:

I am looking for a good hdmi switch. Is that a thing? My big tv is just cheap enough that I have only 2 ports, but I need at least 4?

Not sure about switches but maybe a cheaper receiver would work and bonus now you can do better audio.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

I need grippy, light waterproof boots, hopefully less than $100.

I got some leather steel toe ones and they are so goddamn heavy I want to die.

Could you elaborate on use case? Daily work boot/shoe or like hiking winter trails?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Old Navy used to have some stretch pants similar to these Lulu Lemon (or lululemon?) pants: https://shop.lululemon.com/p/men-pants/ABC-Pant-Classic-34/_/prod3470051?color=31382

I have two pair and would like to buy more but Old Navy doesn't seem to be making them anymore. Does anyone have similar recs that aren't $128 a pair?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

devilmonk posted:

Once when I was in South Carolina I got a bag of deep fried peanuts at a convenience store. I want more, but I’m not sure where to find them. They were in the shell and salted and (maybe roasted first) but definitely fried, and you could eat the shell too.

Anyone know where I can find these?

My flippant answer is "the south", my bit of googling answer is here although they are currently sold out.

Interesting though I managed to not see deep fried peanuts in my time in the south at various gas stations, but a hell of a lot of boiled peanuts.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Nicolas posted:

I'm looking for a service that streamlines the process of insuring and shipping laptops to new employees.

Doesn't like any large computer maker do this (like for example Dell)? Are you in the US looking to ship within the US? Any certain conditions to your desired setup?

I applied for and did not get a job years ago for this type of job so I'm mostly no help here probably but :)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Recommend me a chair, a chair that I will sit in at my hobby table for miniature painting etc. I will be sitting on carpet and specifically don't want a chair on wheels, if the chair spins I guess that would be fine but not required.*

Currently I have a chair that's a rickety 40+ year old thing meant for someone with less stout asscheeks and thighs which makes it not very comfortable for long periods of time.

*I know goons love office chairs that spin for computer use, and I have one for that, but I'm specifically looking for not that here.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Probably worth keeping in mind that you can generally replace casters with simple feet for computer chairs that come with caster wheels. You just pull the wheels out and shove the replacements in, it takes very little time and is much less expensive than a whole chair, if you happen to have a different chair you like, but not for this purpose because of wheels, or if you find a chair you like the look of other than it having wheels.

I am woefully under-chaired so nothing to swap wheels for feet on, but that's an excellent idea for if a good wheeled option comes up without a good already non-wheeled option. Thanks for the idea!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Anyone recommend a white noise machine? My partner keeps having issues with random noises keeping em up at night and I've been trying for like 3 years to convince them to get one to no avail.

Get a Dohm sound machine. We have 2 (bedroom, kids bedroom) and run them every night. The oldest machine ran for probably 7 years before the on/off switch wore out (I think was the issue). I love that it's not electronic sound but rather real spinning fan type noise.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Snowy posted:

I looked up a couple of the underwear brands mentioned and saw wirecutter recommend these ones by Saxx

It doesn’t seem that comfortable really but for $32 it better be, that’s $16 per ball

Duluth Trading Co has a similar style that I tried a pair of and really didn't like it. But hey everyone has a different tackle setup so v0v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

There is a captive bolt gun style one powered by CO2 cartridges that you mount such that the corpses drop down out of the way. I've seen it posted about here before but the name currently escapes me and I'm just firing off a quick post before it's bedtime for the wee one (or I'd try and hunt down the name).