Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is there really no reason to level additional parties? That's really disappointing. They have a neat "muster" feature that lets you pre-save party selections/formations and instantly swap between them, which would have been nice in EO3. You can even name the parties. Rolling with the "Shadow Ops" at the moment: Akihiko, Mitsuru, Aigis, Yukari.

Need to find two more wind users besides Yukari and Yosuke so I can create my ultimate team, "Gone Garu".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Einwand posted:

Well, the first boss sure was disappointing, the painter soldiers were way more dangerous than she was. Also the cutscene before the fight was funny considering the mini soldiers all died to double casts of ma-anything while also being weak to it.

Just iced her too. She wasn't dangerous, but I had too much magic damage/support and not enough physical attackers to drop her quickly. It turned into a loooong fight (on Hard). Next time I do a boss (or the FOEs, I guess) I'll probably load up on physical damage, magic users run out of SP too quickly to be useful for long fights. Assuming they can't perma-Boost for free damage.

I liked Aigis' monkeybear reference after seeing Teddy for the first time. And the loving JoJo poses, oh my god. Picking P3MC was extremely clutch.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Inflammatory posted:

i'd recommend committing to a single team, most of your skills come from sub-personas and as long as you keep your party pretty balanced with physical and magic builds and don't take a bunch of characters who are weak to the same element, you should be fine.

Which figures. I burned out on EO3 having* to level one of every class, but now I actually want to level everyone and its not necessary? THANKS ATLAS

*I know you don't really need to do this, but that's how they present it to you and I was playing blind.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I'm not sure about Risky, but at least on Hard Mode you can summon Kaguya (the FreeLC sub-persona) as soon as you get the Compendium. She gives +37 SP, which is three free insta-kills per fight.

Slap her on Naoto and spam Mudo/Hama everyday.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Are Bestial Roar and Swordbreaker unique skills for Kanji and Aigis? Because I'd really like to get Bestial Roar on all my phsyical attackers, and one Swordbreaker per row.

Bestial Roar in particular is amazing, considering Kanji's only real drawback is "goes real slow". His other weakness (no SP) is irrelevant now that you can hit elemental weaknesses with physical attacks, so letting him go first every turn makes him The Best.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Armor-Piercing posted:

Valkyrie and Red Rider get Swordbreaker at level 32, Narasimha at 35. For Bestial Roar, there's Chimera (level 14), Nue (21), Neko Shogun (27), and Narasimha (34).

That's kind of a shame, unique skills for Main Personas would have been a good way to differentiate the characters and encourage leveling up everyone.

Not that I'm not planning on exploiting that to the hilt, its just a missed opportunity.

quote:

I'll probably still try to beat it but I should have chosen the P3 cast because I just can't loving take anyone from Persona 4 anymore because they all looped from being endearing to annoying, except Marie who is intentionally bad, therefore good.

I think the problem is that they took an already light and breezy game and tried to make everyone lighter and breezier. You can't make Chie any more perky and dumb than she is in P4 without turning her into a caricature.

By contrast, smoothing out the rough edges made the Persona 3 crew so much more fun. They were all pretty flawed in P3, so having everyone together and not at each others' throats is a nice change of pace.

Mind you, there have still been plenty of enjoyable scenes. Yosuke and Kanji are still good. Naoto's new VA throws me off, she's way more brusque.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Yu taking over as battle leader of the Shadow Operatives and bringing his squad of corn-fed asskickers with him is really enticing. It would be interesting seeing the Investigation Team face the same pressures that SEES did. People dying, world ending, betrayal, stuff like that.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ruggington posted:

all three of those happen in p4 though

Not in the way I meant, but its a better topic for the megathread.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I wish they let you use the Sacrifice Spread from the beginning. Kicks rear end not having to manually level up every persona.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Armor-Piercing posted:

This game lets you make QR codes for personas to share. Here's the Shiisaa I've been using on my navigator until now:

I think it costs like 30k?

Also I'm pretty sure Japanese QR codes don't work, or at least the ones I tried didn't.

This is a pro click. Although Snake Glare is drat near a requirement for my Navigator. Enemy Advantage is BS.

Manatee Cannon posted:

That works as well, thanks. And while I'm getting help, what persona has an agility binding move? I need some snakeskin.

You can get a claw for Teddie in that floor of the labyrinth that has a chance to agi bind. Convenient enough for me.

e: Here's an Oni I put on Kanji. Great for smashing poo poo.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 1, 2014

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
In the second dungeon's fourth floor, can you get other characters to read Marie's poem during the Group Date scene? I got Chie and her rendition was hilarious, but I feel like Shinji or Akihiko might have been even funnier. Seriously considering resetting and trying it again with different choices.

e: Tested it, and the answer is yes, and Akihiko is indeed the funniest. If you picked P3MC at the start, the choices are Chie, Akihiko, Yukiko, and Naoto.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 1, 2014

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ostentatious posted:

Is it just me, or is Naoto cripplingly mediocre in Persona Q?

I can't seem to make her work in my rotations effectively.

Are you kidding me? Everything in the first two labyrinths are weak to either Light or Dark. Or both. She's a one-woman murder machine.

Just be sure to give a sub-persona with a decent SP and some elemental/phys attacks for bosses and let her roll. Or support/healing skills, she's got nearly as big of an SP pool as Yukari or Yukiko.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Neeksy posted:

Oh man I had no idea impure reach affected Hama/Mudo. I gave Naoto that skill card because of her already high luck and now I see why her Mahamaon and Mamudoon keep clearing literally everything.

I guess there isn't a list of which skill cards you can get from which personas, is there?

You can get skill cards from personas? Do you have to sacrifice them or something?

Now I want that skillcard.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Detective No. 27 posted:

Couple questions. Is it generally a bad idea to put a front row character in the back, or can there be a tactically advantageous reason to change it up?

I'm not sure how the system works either. I get that characters take less damage in the back row, and they do less melee damage, but does that also apply to ALL their damage? Even magic/phys attack damage? It might make sense to rotate characters from the front to the back in that case. I don't think I've even used the Move command yet.

I also don't understand weapons. Does the attack power you get from equipping better weapons affect the damage your Persona phys attacks do? If not, it makes more sense to use those 1-attack power stat-effect weapons you get from doing requests. You basically never use your standard attack unless you're Rushing anyway.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Zurai posted:

OK, weapons and physical attacks real quick:

Weapons and physical attack skills have a range parameter. On skills, this is displayed as either ML in pink (short range) or RN in blue (long range) on the same line as the skill's name and affinity when you examine the skill. Weapons are always the same range per weapon type and character. Melee weapons are short range, ranged weapons and Ken's spears are long range.

Short range attacks (ML skills and short range weapons) can only attack up to 2 rows away and deal half damage if attacking a target which is 2 rows away. 2 rows meaning your front row to their back row or your back row to their front row.

Long range attacks can attack any target with no damage penalty.

The range of a weapon only matters for the Attack command, skills use their own range instead.

Physical skills use the attack power of the character's weapon as part of their damage equation, magical skills do not.

Thanks, this is really helpful.

Post your QR Codes with your best personas, nerds. If you hit "Create QR Code" it saves it to the SD card and then you can upload it using the 3DS screenshot uploader or whatever.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Manatee Cannon posted:

Last I checked on one with 90ish percent was still like 150 playcoins so

Also I don't leave my 3DS on when I'm not using it so I have less than ten playcoins.

At 97% or above it goes down to about 5 play coins

Its a good feature to keep you from having to go halfway across the map to stand on burning lava for 100% completion

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Inflammatory posted:

i think he was referring to the jokes where it's like someone uses a word and then someone else confuses it for a different word that sounds sort of similar and that's the extent of the joke.

Huh?? There's a Coke that's someone used as a sword, but it got confused for a different sword and that was the excellent Coke???

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Lunar Suite posted:

My current Kanji "Pain Train" Tatsumi has an Ose with Matarukaja, Critical Eye, Tempest Slash, Toxic Slice, Fang Smash and Impure Reach. Should probably swap either Aigis or Yukiko for Naoto and go to town. Might axe Yukiko because... really, I don't need that much healing, my P4MC has Media and I'm sure I can fuse Mediarama onto something.

Using Kanji for poison is a waste, particularly since he misses so frequently.

I've got an Ares with Shura Tensei (infinite-length self-buff that seems to basically double attack power, at the cost of about 50% HP per turn), Warrior Title (passive +crit buff), Power Charge, Shinkuuha (2 Almighty melee attacks on one target), Resseiha (1-5 Almighty melee attacks randomly on all targets), and Flame Link. He's also got Matarukaja, Assault Shot, and Bestial Roar on his main Persona.

Things absolutely evaporate when he punches them. Warrior Title is way more awesome than you'd imagine, because melee crits are the only way Kanji can reliably use Shura Tensei and Power Charge. He needs Boost to get those buffs out, but when he's got them, wow.

quote:

Aigis and Yukari in particular are not pulling their weight but it doesn't matter much. I've kept that bow with a silence proc on Yukari and pray for crits with my MC so I can use Lunar Blessing and become completely untouchable. Naoto ends all random encounters before they can begin and Kanji does at least half of every FOE's health in damage by himself, but besides them? Eh, it works alright.

Aigis is a great tank with Pain-Eater. Put her in the back row, use Pain-Eater, then Body Shield the front row and let the attacks bounce off her. I'm in the same boat with Yukari though, pure casters seem pretty bad in this game. They need to hop on the Boost train or they'll run out of SP in a few rounds, and even if there's a weakness they can exploit, they can't match the raw damage of the Phys attackers. And Phys attackers can ride the Boost train anyway with the various elemental phys attacks. I'm thinking of having Naoto be the dedicated heal/support character for long battles and swapping Yukari out for Chie or someone else who hits like a sack of bricks. Maybe Shinjiro?

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 2, 2014

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't have Pain-Eater yet, but honestly I can't see how it'd be better than Lunar Blessing. Somewhat useful for enemies that attack twice a turn, but still. My solution has been to fuse her a Pyro Jack using Kaguya and Ares to get some good skills on her while maintaining her resistances. Adsorb Fire from Jack and Resist Elec from the Ares Kanji is using (I know he already resists that, it's fusion fodder for later stuff since I have two people weak to it) is pretty nice. I just wish I could have transfered Warrior Title or Lunar Blessing, but you can't have everything I guess.

You can get Pain Eater off of Mokoi, at level 8. The advantage is that you don't have to fish for crits in order to afford the Lunar Blessing, it's just 6 SP. Much more consistent protection, particularly since the dangerous enemies do get two attacks per turn.

I think Lunar Blessing and Runic Shield are skills that can't be inherited, which is a shame.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Dexie posted:

Flame Link, Golden Link, Healing Harp, Victory Cry, Return from Yomi, Fire Boost?, Absorb Fire?

Not sure what 'Bifurcated of pike' is supposed to be.

Forked Spear, it gives you a medium chance of getting two normal attacks per turn. That is, if you pick attack, you might get a second attack for free.

Victory Cry is underwhelming since it only restores HP. I rarely find myself losing HP in random battles thanks to Naoto "Murder Machine" Shirogane.

Check out this kickass navigator persona I fused. Money troubles are a thing of the past with this baby:

Safety Prayer lets you safely loot Power Sponges without shadow ambushes. Harvest Prayer and Cornucopia increase the rate of rare materials from P-Spots and give a low chance to gather extra times (I've had up to 8 so far). Hunter Prayer increases the drop rate from shadows, and Alleys of Light restores a little HP with every step taken.

Fortuna doesn't learn any other Navi skills, so don't bother sacrificing anything for her.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ImpAtom posted:

Why have Snake Glare there? Doesn't it only activate if they're the Battle Navi? At very least it activates for me off my Battle Navi, not my Field Navi.

It works on the Field Navi as well. I actually didn't know it would work on the Battle Navi.

Prism posted:

Until you mentioned that right now I was not aware that setting the field and battle navigators to different people meant they used different skills and I could give them different abilities (I assumed it always used the Field Navigator skills and the battle one was just for voice clips, so just left them to both the same person).

This changes everything.

Oh, totally. Although, I rarely use any Leader Skills except for Healing Breeze and occasionally Purifying Rain. It's still useful to have them for a rainy day.

epitasis posted:

anybody get the DLC personas and can say what level they or how much they cost to summon?

also are those personas not in the vanilla game at all? do the dlc ones only appear in the compendium or do they become random drops too

When you download a DLC persona, you can summon them for free out of the Compendium no matter what level they are. Only once, though.

They're not in the vanilla game, but Orpheus Telos and Kaguya are free atm so there's no reason not to get them. I don't think they appear as random drops or fusion outcomes, and they have certain unique skills that can't be inherited.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Got Naoto first time cuz I play to win :smugteddie:

Do you get the option to bridal carry everyone? Because I might have to replay the game however many times to see all the outcomes.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
If anyone has beaten the game, I'm curious as to what carries over to New Game +.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Dr. Fetus posted:

Shinjiro too. I ended up with him as mine. :v:

Can you force anyone else to read Marie's poem, or is it always Akihiko?

I tested it. As P3MC, you can get Akihiko, Yukiko, Naoto, or Chie. Dunno if it changes with P4MC. Definitely try to get Chie, hers is the best version.

I actually really like Marie in this. I could never tell if they were being serious with her poems in Golden but it's clear they're taking the piss here. The one that ends with ...THANKS DUDE! made me spit out my drink.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just had Naoto one shot two Golden Hands with Toxic Slice. :stare:

Change the thread title to Persona Q: Naoto's Impure Reach.

Persona Q: Impure Reach Out To The Truth

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Persona Q: "That went disappointingly fast..."

The best way to farm Personas isn't random battles anyway, it's by farming FOEs. You get a high-level persona you can immediately throw into the woodchipper that is Sacrifice Spread, or a new skill card.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Inflammatory posted:

can i just say that i really don't like how the first question is worded?

"does age or sex matter as long as there is love" and the answers are "it doesn't matter" and "sex matters".

i'm not sure how that got through the editing process without raising any eyebrows.

Would you say that it's problematic?

(its basically asking if you like dudes)

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I can't believe in the 3rd dungeon that there's an FOE that can be insta-killed. That has to be a mistake, right?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Manatee Cannon posted:

I like that I can just stare blankly at Naoto until she figures out puzzles for me.

Yosuke figures one of them out.

Yosuke!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

JavaJesus posted:

This may be a dumb question, but do the Navi skills work if they're on a non-navigator character, or do they have to actually be attached to a navigator for them to have an effect?

The latter.

There are also Battle Navigator skills and Field Navigator skills. Once you get the second navigator the distinction is important, since battle skills are useless on the field navi and vice-versa.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Cake Attack posted:

where can i find a skill or skill card that will make it so i never have to deal with getting ambushed while gathering again?

i swear, the chance of you getting ambushed must be at least 75%

Its Safety Prayer, you can get it on a Persona pretty early. I posted a QR code for a Fortuna with it earlier, and there's a Shisaa with it as well somewhere in the thread.

Ignore the description text, I think it's bugged. It says that it lets you gather "Somewhat Safely", but I've been through 3 Labyrinths with it on and I've never been ambushed while gathering. There's another late-game ability that lets you gather "Perfectly Safely", so I think they just messed up on the numbers.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Cake Attack posted:

seriously a god drat cartesian plane, get out of here atlus

I was fumbling around trying to turn the lights on in the bottom two rooms so I could read the textbooks when Naoto chimed in with the answer :bang:

I think if the four textbooks had been readable it would have been a clever puzzle instead of a bear. I figured that the +- symbols meant that one door was positive and one was negative, and you had to solve the equation in order to proceed. Especially since they were algebra textbooks, goddamn, at least say they're geometry books. Give me a hint beyond "four quadrants, what's the origin". That's pretty obscure dontcha think

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I know that melee characters are penalized when in the back row, but are ranged characters like Aigis similarly punished if you put them in the front?

When it says characters belong in the front or back row, they're just talking about their weapons. As in, the bog-standard "Attack" command that you'll pretty much never use. Melee characters can go in the back as long as you make sure to use magic or physical skills that say "Ranged" (RN) instead of "melee" (ML). Ranged skills don't suffer a damage penalty and can hit any row at any time; melee skills suffer a damage penalty if you're not used from the front row, and can only reach the enemies' front row if used from the back.

I just realized I can make Naoto even more beastly by giving her a Strength-Magic swap accessory. She can save her SP for Binds and Status skills, and her Magic is high enough that she should be a really strong Phys attacker, with good accuracy thanks to her ridiculously high Agility.

Want to give Yukari the HP-SP swap item, but I have a feeling she would die instantly. Besides, the -Dyne spells cost !!48!! SP and only do about as much damage as a melee skill, which makes you wonder why you'd even loving bother with mages. Right now Vorpal Blade does the same damage hitting normally as Garudyne does on an enemy weak to wind, except Vorpal Blade can crit. And it only costs 150-ish HP, which is nothing since Healing Breeze and the skill that gives 5% HP at the end of every turn heals for about 100. Yukari is only on my team out of loyalty for all the times she saved my rear end with heals in P3 FES.

Did you know you can only have 3 buffs at the same time? If you have Power Charge up on Kanji, and you then cast all three buff skills on him, Power Charge gets bumped. Very disappointing, I wanted to see how high I could make the numbers go.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 8, 2014

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Do the Growth+ items increase XP gain if the character is in the main party?

I don't believe they did in P3/P4 but the description is a little different in PQ. It reads "+25% XP, even if not in the party" instead of something like "1/3 XP gain if not in party".

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Lunar Suite posted:

gently caress the Inaba Pride festival. I've fallen to killing the FOEs by abusing Blaze Oil and Healing Harp as well as Decay Circle because I can't figure out what the hell they want from me.

The FOEs in Inaba Pride are really too weak to justify worrying about the puzzles. Except for the shrine-carrying FOE, that guy will gently caress you up good but he's also the easiest to avoid.

Most egregiously, the stairs in Floor 2 are blocked off by an FOE and the other characters wants you to go the long way across the entire labyrinth to avoid him. Except you can kill him as soon as he shows up without any trouble. Except that the next floor requires you to bring a torch with you, and the only way to get that torch is to do the whole floor anyway! :shepicide:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Manatee Cannon posted:

Does Samael have the skill card for it? There's no point in downgrading that much for him, I'd rather just take the card and put the skill on my MC since he doesn't have much to do right now.

Somebody posted a QR code for an awesome Samael earlier, I'd take that and fuse his abilities up.

Although I rarely see much value from Magic/Strength bind, it seems like most enemies against whom it would be really useful are just straight-up immune. I tested Salome's Kiss+Binding Hands on the Lovely Doll, and the only one that ever hit was Agility Bind. It's gonna spam MaMudo and Megidola and you're going to like it die

Agility Bind is always useful though.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Probably a silly question but if you never played Persona 3 or 4 is this game worth playing?

Not really, the gameplay is great but the story assumes you played 4 and probably 3 as well. It's not going to explain anything beyond the barest basics of the characters, it'll spoil a few plot points for both games, and generally won't be as enjoyable.

Go play P4, it's a classic. P3 is great too, just play P3P since it back-ported most of the gameplay improvements from P4.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Found these trawling the interweb, posting so I can find them again for posterity:

A list of skill cards and the Personas they come from
A list of Persona skills.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The Grimace posted:

FOEs with mamudo/mahamaon/diarahan are pretty much the worst things ever. Time to grind some skill cards to bind poo poo, I guess. :smith:

While I'm here, I got Alice a few days ago and it just completely wrecks random encounters with Die for Me!

I loving love it.

SPEAKING OF WHICH, the game never says this, so I'm going to: The Festival Dudes in the 4th Labyrinth (the shrine-carrying guys) have a gimmick that Elizabeth tells you about...AFTER you clear the dungeon.

Don't try to kill them before that. You can, but it's frustrating as gently caress, and they're piss-easy once you know the gimmick.

If you want to spoil yourself:

Men Only, 4-vs-4, Final Destination. Having women in the party or more than 4 causes them to get 2 attacks per turn, a powerful melee attack that hits 6 times randomly for 250-ish damage, Diaharan, all the Ma--Dyne spells, Ma-Hamaon, and Ma-Mamudoon. "No Girls Allowed" includes Navigators, so don't use Navigator Skills like Healing Breeze or even the passive healing skill. You'll know you did it right when you get the message "Festival Dudes are getting fired up!" at the start of the battle.

If you honor their desire to have a big gay bash, they get one attack per turn and only use the one Phys attack which you can strength bind or Tentarafoo to block. Alternatively it has low accuracy so you can use Sukunda and/or Masukukaja to make it only rarely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Manatee Cannon posted:

They're not actually hard enough to warrant that, they don't have much health for FOEs. They also hint at it before then. I've killed several in a couple turns, though honestly it really depends on how much the game hates you (ie, they keep dodging agi bind/panic).

They have 8800 HP, that's quite a bit if you're fighting them at level. They also hit like brick shithouses, and they're resistant to binds/bad status.

I had Yukari spamming Salome's Kiss (with binding hands) and Naoto spamming Silence Circle (also with binding hands) and it was all I could do to keep them permanently magic bound. I never landed a single Tentarafoo/Poison Breath even with Impure Reach.

gently caress those guys.

Elizabeth literally says "Looks like you're the real Festival Dude now" after you win, so it's all good.

The ending of the fourth dungeon though, agggghhh. I saw the twist coming since they foreshadowed it pretty hard, but I wasn't ready for the casual "...and then she tried to gouge out her own eyes" line :eyepop: :gonk:

• Locked thread