Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

I completely understand your logic and reasoning. I think it's bullshit.

I'm not a kid being scolded or someone arguing over anything remotely objective. Don't present it as such.

Apparently you are, because the adult thing to say would be "You're right, gook is a racial slur and I probably shouldn't use it" rather than digging your heels in like an obstinate pre-teen arguing with his mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

The point is that it's about making someone backpedal and using the sight against them indefinitely, or to drag it up whenever they please, or need it.

I'm not advocating racism. I'm also not stupid. Apology just results in chumming the water, and they focus on tearing someone down for the slight and don't bother with anything else. It's a shut down. It's chaff. It's running interference. I'm not going to just let everything derail without pointing it out, since its an example of the nonsense I'm sick of.

I'm not a whipping boy. Address that poo poo in a p.m. and leave the thread to the actual subject matter.

I do like how slope is still o.k. though.

If you don't want to be brought to task then either admit your mistakes or better yet don't use racial slurs at all for any reason.

"Gaggle of gooks" is not, nor will it ever be, a real idiom, by the way.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

If every little slight wasn't a trumpet call for the piranhas to come take a bite out of someone, and the person making the slight didn't have to always and forever be "that *-ist person" I'd be more inclined to play ball. Instead I've seen that when someone is apologetic it's like blood in the water, and that's stupid. That's just fanning the flames of "let's derail into beating someone up for a while" and then there's a long term, if not indefinite, period where the person who made the slight is just a whipping-person, unless they wise up and leave for greener pastures.

Notice the thread changing any there, buddy?

Yes, and how has your tactic of wailing and gnashing of teeth gone so far? Not very well I'd say. All you're doing is cementing your reputation as "the guy who really wants to say 'gooks', which seems pretty drat counterintuitive to the goal of not being seen as a racist.

Space Whale posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, it's just an alliteration for "collection of things" like "mob of mooks" as a nonsense word. Then there was a Korean war and Gook became an insult, and to say "gook" in isolation is to be clearly racist.

Did it only exist as a racist term in the first place and then got normalized to the point I heard it growing up without any obvious racist connotations?

Space Whale posted:

It sure was growing up in my experience. I didn't learn "gook" was a mutation of a Korean term which was a racist slur against southeast Asians until I was in my teens, and only then, it was a term used in isolation or a specific context.

No, every time you heard "gook" that person was using it as a slur. It doesn't exist in a non-racist context. Just like there's not a context that makes where calling someone a "friend of the family" isn't racist.

E:

Space Whale posted:

So it was a regionally tone deaf idiom which is seen nationally as racist? Fair enough, I won't say it in the future.

No, it's still racist in your region too.

Double E: it's good you'll stop saying it, regardless.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 8, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

If I had kowtowed, would that have been the end of it this time?

Yes

Space Whale posted:

Slope has a non racist context.

Slope isn't gook.

Space Whale posted:

I certainly didn't know it was.

What, did you think there was a Something Awful conspiracy to convince forums user Space Whale that the word "gook" is actually super racist when half a dozen posters pointed this out to you? I'll ask you again, you keep saying that had you apologized you'd have been ripped to shreds but how has refusing to do so gone for you so far? Do you feel you were successful in whatever point you were trying to make?

Space Whale posted:

I dunno they mock "The truth is in the middle" like pros.

They aren't mocking, bro. :ssh:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

Just because you don't see it as parody doesn't mean it isn't parody ok.

No, seriously, they aren't mocking it and in fact there's a whole ideology about it.

quote:

South Park co-creator Trey Parker is actually a registered member of the Libertarian Party.[2] Fellow co-creator Matt Stone sums up their views with the comment, "I hate conservatives, but I really loving hate liberals."[3]

Space Whale posted:

Because in the end it's better for me if I don't show weakness, unless this is materially different from twitter/most other forums, that is. It might be! If that's the case I'll have two things to apologize for :shobon:

You are showing weakness though. Being overly stubborn in the face of good sense and the inability to man up and admit you're wrong show weakness of character.

Space Whale posted:

There is no "might" involved. If it would be better in the end to apologize, that's would be great! Except in this context, it isn't. Nevertheless, I don't owe a bunch of busybodies apologies like I hurt them. I don't even know their races, there was no mens rea, nothing. This is just "circle the wagons!"

This all started because someone said "Dude, don't say gooks because that's a racist thing to say" and then you went goddamn apeshit trying to defend it. I guarantee that had you simply said "I never knew it was racist and I didn't mean it that way, but I won't use that word anymore" it would have been done and over with. It was your braying that it was totally not racist that summoned the wolves.

And no, you don't need to personally apologize to anyone but you do need to admit you were wrong and shouldn't have said it.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 8, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

Do you READ twitter?

This isn't Twitter.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

As I said to twodot, do you read twitter? I've seen people apologize and get it far worse. On principle reconciliation is something I'd prefer, but if it comes down to "a little more poo poo now and less later, or more over time," I'd rather get it over with.

Who What Now posted:

This isn't Twitter.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

I'm sorry to any Koreans who are offended.

If you're hunting for poo poo to tell people to apologize to you over for the sake of hunting for poo poo to get self righteous over, you can go gently caress yourself.

You really seem to be hunting for something to feed your persecution complex so this could be a match made in heaven.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

OK, but what do I have to go by, the thing that matters and people know about, or the sole exception in my experience? What would you go by, experience or "well, maybe this time...?"

I'm not sure which is which because Twitter doesn't matter in the slightest and I doubt it's your sole experience of online communities so maybe you should just go with the adult thing of "admitting I hosed up because I hosed up".

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

wateroverfire posted:

Or maybe you shouldn't be such a prissy bitch about language you don't approve of? I mean, there are lots of options here.

"Why won't you just let me say gook, friend of the family, spic, and wop without calling me racist?!"-:qq:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

Why should I play along with "you slipped up, ooooohhhhhhhhhh, better be sorry!" people? I really don't like busybodies and the time wasting inquisitions they start are something I want to make a point of illustrating and pushing back against!

Because using racial slurs make you look bad and as you've been saying you are super concerned with people not throwing these things back in your face later. But somehow you haven't realized that by defending it for so long all you've done is cement the idea that you're the guy who really wants to be allowed to use slurs in a world of PC gone mad. How can you not understand that you are doing everything you say you didn't want to do.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

wateroverfire posted:

I think it's pretty ineffective IMO.

After all my privilege checking I come to the following realizations:

I have an awesome family that has spread out all over, and can help me with stuff if need be.

I have lots of successful friends.

I got a good education that I have put to use.

Luckily, lots of horrible things that could have happened didn't happen to me.

Etc.

Some people can't say the same.

Therefore...what, exactly? Am I supposed to feel bad about that? Because tbh it feels pretty good. I got a little mood boost just thinking about it actually.

You aren't supposed to feel bad, you're supposed to say "You know even though I can empathize with people who are in a much worse situation than I am I don't actually have a very good concept of what it's like to be currently living that life and I shouldn't assume that I do."

That's it, that's all.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

Oh, I'm an rear end in a top hat. I've been formed, forged, quenched, tempered, ground, and honed into an rear end in a top hat. The chips on my shoulder have fine edges. I will own up to that.

I really hate the "Drop everything I'm upset!" crap from so-called wannabe revolutionaries and activists who can't stand naughty words. I can't stand that it's spread to the point trigger warnings have seeped into loving everything. I hate that people with real PTSD and panic disorders are erased when pumpkin spice latte (the more common of the PSLs, heh, <3 the real one tho) loses her starbucks and blogs about it.

If you're really an oppressed person trying to be a revolutionary and change the world consider toughening the gently caress up. I thought these oppressed persons were all tough and worked hard for little pay and had to support lots of people with their work while facing the dread of poverty, their families dying young, and the hopelessness of it getting better in the next generation.

Wait, I faced that, and all these marxoteens are babies looking for poo poo to be angry about! Welp.

Literally the only thing we said was that gook was a slur and you shouldn't say it. Good goddamn you are loving stupid. If you want to go rage at Tumblr then go to Tumblr because all you're doing here is looking like a retard.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

If I wanted to use slurs I'd still be using them.

My point, which I apparently didn't make clear enough, was that showing weakness makes people tear you to pieces. If you stand your ground or just ignore it, it's better for you.

To my discredit I didn't just ignore it.

You did show weakness, dumbass. Being a stubborn prick is a weakness. Now you are the "gook poster". Great job.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 8, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

Who loving made everyone keep harping on it?

You did. By not admitting you were wrong at the start. You're so obsessed with being perceived as an Internet toughguy that you dug your own goddamn hole.

quote:

I take it you're not counting the posters saying things like "you should be sorry you're bad you're beyond hope I'm doing god's work".

You're right, I'm not counting those posters because they don't exist in anywhere except in your mind to fuel your need to be persecuted.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 8, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

I made them give me something to respond to.

Yes, had you just said "I didn't know it was a slur and I apologize if I offended anyone" and dropped it then it would have stopped. This is all on you.

quote:

I guess I should ask for your ignore list?

No one.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Job Truniht posted:

Deal with it you big baby. He did say something offensive. That does not mean you get to spend 5 pages talking about how outraged you are about it.

No one is outraged, you giant pussy. We are, however, happily mocking him. And I'm content to do that until he wises up.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Xibanya posted:

And here I thought I was the only one who got a nice PM from him.

Now I'm disappointed that I didn't. :(

Job Truniht posted:

P-p-please stop bullying the racist for saying the racist things!

No.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
^^^^^^^^
Yeah, you're right, I shouldn't have used those words.
______

Job Truniht posted:

It's equally laughable to derail a thread and take things entirely out of context. I have a better plan to deal with people who say that poo poo: don't call them leftists. Ignore them. Marginalized them.

Nah, I'm going to shame them and still marginalize them.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

I know right? I kept thinking he was on a higher level from me.

e: 90% of PMs I receive are "you're white" :smugdog: or some variant of "human being" 500 times

Why so many saying you're white? I can count the times you mention your race on one hand.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

You might want to think about your approach to telling people "Hey this thing that is innocuous to you? It's a big deal to us. Not like you could have known, but it really gets people whipped up" instead of "you ist with the ism you are beyond hope you are awful apologize to us now."

We did. You're response was "I've never heard it used in a racist manner ergo it can't be racist!"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

As you struggle to your feet, you realize this is not really a ditch and is more of a culvert. You have been laying in what is, in essence, a shallow depression in the ground.

You look at your surroundings.

Across the street, which runs north to south, you see a low building: Reed Graphics. It looks empty. To the north, in the distance, you can see cars turning in and out of the parking lot of what looks like a busy gas station. The road stretches away south, framed by fences, tall weeds and small houses. A side street runs west.

Exits: north, south, west

>

>CHECK PRIVILEGE

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Job Truniht posted:

Alright, I can't say this any other way. There's no real nice way to say it. There's going to be backlash for that. You don't have to agree with it. It's entirely an opinion. Here it goes.

I think modern feminists, privilege, and LGBT activists should be banned from leftist discourse. Specifically, the internet and neb-activist kind that poo poo up said website above and are the source of wherever mockery GBS is willing to give them. I think they're wholly toxic in their creation. You're free to join those groups. You're free to exist within those groups and discourse within those groups. You're even free to come into leftist activism as being self identified as any of those groups. You're not free to discuss anything other than leftism within the leftist movement. It's not discrimination. It's not spite. It's good sense, because anyone with good sense would've recognized that the feel good bullshit that they bring to the table entirely conflicts with core leftism in every possible way. It cannot afford to make the distinctions that these people are making.

Let me help you with this. Those "new wave feminists" and "SJWS" and all that? These people you're talking about don't actually exist in the real world outside of the Internet. You are all worked up over a boogeyman chariacture that you've convinced yourself is lurking around every corner and within every shadow.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Job Truniht posted:

They exist. I just posted a video of them in Portland a few pages back, doing exactly what I said they'd do.

They exist in the same way that people scamming welfare exist. It's not significant. And if you obsess over them and go out of your way to only look for them then of course it's all you're going to find. It's like saying "I typed 'brown dog' into google and it's all brown dogs! Where are the black dogs?"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Job Truniht posted:

At first it was "they don't exist", then "they don't exist outside they internet", and then it was "they exist but don't matter".

As you become increasingly pedantic so must I. Weird how that is, huh?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Are you still bawling your eyes out in this thread?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Foma posted:

I am not suggesting we take those sites seriously, I am saying that picking the smallest retard on the playground pointing and laughing at them might make you feel big, but doesn't make you big.

We aren't bullying people, though. No one is going onto Conservapedia or Freep and harassing the people there. They are completely unaware that such threads exist and their lives are no worse for it. So while you can muster all the righteous indignation that you want it's completely misplaced in this instance.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

Well not SA specifically since Raids Don't Happen Anymore! Also forums like this are very much passe.

Now if you look at poo poo that's actually current and popular...

I don't give a gently caress about other sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

"Check your privilege"

"no"

"Check your privilege"

"no"

"Check your privilege"

"n-no"