Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The practical effects in T3 are really goddamn good.

They really are, particularly the crane chase. There's one really dodgy CGI shot in that whole sequence, but the vast majority of it is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chairman Capone posted:

On the subject of time travel, didn't Cameron help Bryan Singer come up with the time travel/alternate timeline concepts for Days of Future Past?

I think that might have been, you know, Chris Claremont.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chairman Capone posted:

Well, the way time travel works in the comic is different from the movie, at least from what I remember of the comic. Or maybe I'm confusing it with the animated TV series episode.

"Character in dystopian future hellscape is sent back in time to younger self in order to prevent said dystopian future hellscape from happening" is kind of the entire crux of the comic. The only difference is that in the comic, Kitty sent herself back, while in the movie Kitty sent Wolverine back because Hugh Jackman sells movie tickets.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spakstik posted:

T3 really does him a disservice. The script gives him a bunch of lines that his accent really mangles

His :stare: expression in this bit kills me every time, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWePWdF0tXk

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lurdiak posted:

The only line we're given is that Skynet "Saw humanity as a threat." once it became self-aware.

Nope. In T2 the Terminator says that in a panic they tried to pull the plug on Skynet, then Skynet launched nukes at Russia knowing the Russian counterattack would wipe out the US ability to respond.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Party Boat posted:

It's a really loving good twist as well, the film itself does a great job of making things ambiguous and keeping the audience in the dark about it until the scene in the mall when Arnie comes out of the lift.

Eh, yes and no. There's a fair amount of stuff in the early going (Arnold in the bar being played for laughs, taking the motorcycle while "Bad to the Bone" is playing, etc.) that really paints the T-800 as the good guy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zombie Boat posted:

That's the worst fake scar I've ever seen and I used to go to cut-rate lion king cosplay parties.

Uh... :stare:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Xenomrph posted:

There have been a bunch of franchises where later movies were better than earlier ones.

quote:

Saw 6 ... Final Destination 5, Freddy vs Jason ... Transformers 4 ... Skyfall

:laffo:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gatts posted:

I'm reasonably hyped but think it's crap they gave away so much in the trailer unless it's, like someone joked, the first 30 minutes.

If leaks are accurate, the trailers have shown almost literally the entire film in terms of set pieces, as well as how the T-Connor dies.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

Edit: Arnold continues to be loving awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w81g199L8YA

I'd rather watch two hours of that than Genisys.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Again, Cameron was a big fan of T3 when it came out and then decided he hated it just recently.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Isn't one of those original punks Gary Oldman?

The guy with the blue spiky hair is Bill Paxton. The other two are Brian Thompson and Brad Rearden.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Stugazi posted:

Would have been way cooler if they picked up where TSCC left off with an unknown Connor in the future.

Basing a $200 million movie on the "what the gently caress" ending of a niche show that barely anyone watched, yep, that's the ticket to box office success.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

People saying there will be no sequel.... I thought they filmed all three of the new trilogy back to back.

No, not at all. They're fast-tracking the next two movies, yes, but Genisys was shot on its own.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skydance paid a bucketload for the rights and they want to cash in as much as possible before they revert to Cameron in a few years.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tenzarin posted:

I know right, you people need to go watch terminator again so make sure why you are sucking its dick so hard.

Man those EYE LASHES!

It's like an unholy cross between Arnold, Lance Henriksen and the Michael Myers mask.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popcorn posted:

I rewatched T3 again recently. It reminded me of Men in Black.

:stare:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

duz posted:

They have about five years until they lose the rights, they're going to make as much as they can regardless of quality until then.

Not necessarily.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Xenomrph posted:

I thought there was a ton of interesting things going on. v:shobon:v

I'm not sure you really have a leg to stand on here, though, considering if it has the Alien, Predator or Terminator name on it, you'll lap it up and find "interesting things going on."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Xenomrph posted:

I've got a Terminator Salvation question, the big "twist" in the movie is that Marcus is a robot and doesn't know it. Are there other movies that play with the same idea of a character being revealed to be not what they thought they were, such that they might not even be able to trust themselves?

Total Recall?

• Locked thread