Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I only pray we will one day get a legitimately great Robocop vs Terminator movie starring the robot dancing dude from Step Up 3D (if Weller dont want to do it) and old Arnold as T800. Start in Detroit and end up in the future war...theN Alien Queen and her Xenomporph show up and a couple of Predators go after them.

Why they didnt do this? I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This movie is a reboot. The entire thing.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
^^ In a way he's not wrong. Terminator's story is one of time travel and fate. The narrative involves the human resistance and the end of humanity against the machines. You don't necessarily need Arnold himself or his model, or hell you could tell a different sort of time travel movie targeting someone else important instead of the Connors.

Neo Rasa posted:

Dwayne Johnson operating with Terminator 1 caliber efficiency while just being his normal affable, charming self would be legit terrifying.

I really don't know why they didn't do that. gently caress his infiltration would go so well people would be like "Haha oh Dwayne!" As they're being bru tally murdered.

Terminator went back in time, something went weird science, hooked up with Bill and Ted, learned about humanity, and spat himself out in modern times to kill pr protect Sarah Connor. Bam!

Gatts fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 8, 2014

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Hodgepodge posted:

Amusing idea: "John Connor" did not originally exist, but was created as a fictional figurehead for humanity to rally around. Trying to kill him ironically lead to the meme spreading to the past, leading Sarah Conner to have a son named John Connor who goes on to lead the resistance due to his essentially miraculous knowledge about Skynet.

So what you're basically saying is

SKYNET: "John, I am your father. Search yourself, you know it to be true."

John: "Nooooo! You killed my father! You're a drat machine!"

SKYNET: "It was I that gave you purpose. It was I that set it all in motion that birthed you and made you what you are. You are a product of me."

John: "No...no...I am a man."

SKYNET: "What is a man but a miserable pile of secrets."

Ok maybe I went a bit off course.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Only organic life can go back. Soooo...T1000 is liquid metal. Explain that. Do we have human skin lying somewhere used as a sack?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Good point; they wouldn't even need the pig carcass. They could put a nuclear bomb inside Robert Patrick, and there wouldn't be a stupid fictional movie anymore.

Which amuses me. Why even go back in time to directly kill Conner? Send the Terminator to do something indirectly that results in his death. The target wasn't to find John, it was to cause a reactor meltdown and devastate the area thus killing Conner. All this time Rowan Atkinson was an actor...nope, he's a Terminator who just went and set off a nuke.

DAMNIT, MR. BEAN! WE TRUSTED YOU!!!!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I don't understand getting mad at SMG. He presents some interesting food for thought and interpretation. The problem isn't him, it's getting riled up. I find a lot of it funny.

Movies can be art. Are you gonna get pissed if someone looking at a painting goes "Van Gough must be depressed. There's blue in so much of his work during this stretch of work." and come back "You're loving retarded. It's blue cause the loving sky and ocean and shirt and the man is blue and nothing to do with anything else. Van Gough was hardcore, man, emotionless manly man." It's film and a piece of work that can be examined for food for thought.

I dunno if its just the sci fi or comic book nerd threads that get up in arms and having to defend their beloved franchises.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hope the climax of Terminator Genysis involves the Protoss vs the Terminators.

Then again, maybe we could get a found footage horror film set in the Terminator universe future war. Like monstrous, nightmarish technology hunting humans down filmed in that way.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Yeah. I don't think he even opened his mouth to breathe while running unless shot.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The tone and what Arnold and the TX are in T3 is not the same as in T2 or T1. It isn't as serious and tries for more fun. His performance is good and in line likEly with the direction.

The movie gets serious right at the end when they realize they can't stop fate and that's considered the best part of the movie by a loT of people.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

SALT CURES HAM posted:

If you think about it, T2 actually refutes the idea that destroying Skynet is the best way to change the future, because if the T-800 was able to learn to value human life, presumably Skynet could be reworked to the same end.

I'm going to poo poo myself laughing if Genisys has the same idea and ends with Skynet being reprogrammed into the backbone of a communist utopia, since its existence is inevitable.

That was one idea for the ending of Salvation. Skynet had a colony of humans of some kind and was taking care of them under its rule. It just had to eliminate a lot of the population to help foster a new world. If i can dig up the article I will.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Terminator Salvation is definitely the best Terminator movie.

Rewatching it thanks to this thread, and who are these guys in the window?

Yep, the rich traitors who conspired with Skynet are still in the film.

What if thoSe are Terminators in suits? Sharply dressed killing machines. Possibly from another movie

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hope in some future iteration Skynet turns out to be a poor British soul who screwed up and goes "Oh gee, I'm so sorry, Humanity. Let me send some help." *releases muderous Terminators "Oh my. Im dreadfully sorry I didn't know they'd do that. Let me get some planes to help you escape." *releases Hunter Killers

All to the tune of Benny Hill. And then the time line gets so bad the Terminators are all Mr. Bean.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think if I recall Arnolds hair is brown early in the trailer but grey later. Id imagine they jump ahead in time at some points.

EDIT gently caress. Beaten. Like a female terminator.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
James Cameron, Ridley Scott will always have my big summer movie dollars.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm reasonably hyped but think it's crap they gave away so much in the trailer unless it's, like someone joked, the first 30 minutes.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

If leaks are accurate, the trailers have shown almost literally the entire film in terms of set pieces, as well as how the T-Connor dies.

...gently caress THIS MOVIE...gently caress THE STUDIO....gently caress IT ALL AND BURN EVERYTHING TO THE GROUND

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This was not good but it was so bad it's entertaining.

Edit: I did like some of it, they made some good decisions like John. I wish the trailers hadn't spoiled things. But crap man, couldn't you have begged for influence by James Cameron to make this a good movie? Consulted? Dump a truck of money? Such wasted potential.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 4, 2015

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Also my cousin from overseas had some nice perspective on this.

"Well the first Terminator was steel, second was liquid metal and now apparently it's powder Terminator."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

computer parts posted:

So following the solid-liquid-gas properties, the next Terminator will be a cloud of electrified particles.

Another cloud villain, Hollywood? Really?

Just make it Unicron. Skynet goes gently caress this and pulls in from the TF Universe.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Arnold's career is not done at all. He has impunity and is a draw. Others like Taylor and the marketing will be blamed. I don't think Salvationbor T3 did so phenomenal either but we still get sequels

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Victorkm posted:

How did they not take the opportunity to have a gigantic liquid metal Pops smack the poo poo out of nano terminator during that last fight? Just like, have Pops control the whole pool at once.

Pops needs an army of Terminators and gently caress Skynet up...alongside Robocop.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
They hosed up a lot of opportunities and attention to detail that Cameron would have nailed. The kind of movie this is I'm not surprised no one gave a poo poo but to get some dough.

Can't wait for rights to go to Cameron and he lets it die with him.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm hoping the next one is Robocop vs Terminator vs Aliens vs Predator.

Arnold T800, Robo, Sarah Conner, Predator Hunter go and eradicate aliens that have infested skynet and we get Terminator Xenomorphs that pop out of liquid metal T1000s

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

A train of thought leads from "the lady doesn't have funny 80s hair" to "I hope James Cameron dies."

Not saying I want James Cameron to die. I'm saying I hope the film rights stay with him and dies with him when he goes. As in he keeps it. He's one of the few who would do justice and make a good capstone or movie if he wanted to.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Neo Rasa posted:

Most interesting is that Cameron originally wanted to go all stop motion for the end, but Stan Winston was able to convince him of how much mileage they could get out of a full fledged endo skeleton. He was still skeptical until they filmed it for the first time and was then of course thrilled.

Also best detail is the smoke around the skeleton after it's been crushed is Stan Winston standing like half an inch outside of the frame wafting his cigarette smoke onto it. :3:

You have to figure for his era Stan Winston was so instrumental in crafting so many memorable movie monster characters.

I think Del Toro has that sort of creative vision when it comes to his movies.

I also like that James Cameron had a key hand in what made the Predator design so memorable.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 6, 2015

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
A youngish baby face Sarah does kind of work. She may have been trained by Arnold but she's still young in 1984. It's basically T1 Linda Hamilton only a bit more fit vs having the crazy drive and experience to mold her into Sarah of T2. This Sarah has Pops so her youth kind of works imo to show how at this point she's trying to shoulder a burden she may not have been quite ready for compares to her experience that lead to T2. Linda in T2 wouldn't need Pops. Instead she sees the T800 more as a peer or equal.

I'm also coming around to some of what SMG is saying. I do like Skynet growing with each loop and other timelines and adapting itself.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ruby idiot railed posted:

Down to John Connor literally giving birth to Skynet and you're asking if it actually goes anywhere?

Somehow the image of John as the Alien Queen in Aliens 4 came to my head giving literal birth to Skynet and I'm horrified I had this thought.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Burkion posted:

T-1000 is just liquid metal that's programmed to reshape itself. Whatever nonsense words T2 used to explain it.

And the T-X I don't THINK was stated to have nanobots, in theory she has the endo skeleton of a regular Terminator with a liquid metal covering for better disguises.

In a sense I think Arnold is like a TX now. Unless he did completely upgrade to a T1000 by removing his chip and leaving his frame behind. I don't think so because of how iconic the endoskeleton is though it'd make some sense to leave behind a failing body.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
In the end we'll find out Skynet sent Pops back in time because it evolved to the point it realized it regrets doing what it did and make amends to stop itself.

Or maybe Pops sends himself back in time.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Firstborn posted:

I will stand by the goon who called Connor the "powder terminator".

Thanks though it was my cousin who isn't a goon. The Powder Terminator is awesome.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Darko posted:

The snake is the true hero of the Bible in a pretty straight read, sooo...

Adam is just a regular Joe living a blissful life, Eve is the henchman, Lillith is Kat Dennings in Thor, and the Snake is the hero for giving man agency and God is the mastermind big bad whose burger joint plans fall apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why was Clarke a bad choice? He was the most interesting presence in the film.

Agreed. Outside of Arnold he brought something more interesting to the film.

• Locked thread