Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RC and Moon Pie posted:

My neck of the woods aired this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR3XEosZVjc

There was a second ad, starring the female of this one, but it's not on YouTube.

That is the most Georgia thing I've ever seen. Georgia is usually just a big question mark as far as American cultural perception, but this is a pretty accurate representation of its non-black's contribution to the national culture. Kind of hard to explain to an outsider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The North Tower posted:

Tell me why Boeing spends money on ads! There has to be a reason!

They're not advertising their products, they're advertising their stock.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I love pay services having ads and commericals. Wasn't one of the initial main draws of satellite radio no commercial interruption?

If you're old as dirt like me, you might remember that cable television's initial draw was having no ads. That lasted about five years.

It always happens. Netflix has been focus grouping different ad schemes for the past few years so expect that coming down the pipe.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Haruharuharuko posted:

They do ads I'm going back to piracy. That's why I pay them its easier than piracy and legal and no ads.

Good luck. Where else will you find another source for easy access to thousands of B-movies and a tiny rotating stock of anything you actually want to watch?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't know Pizza Hut had regional pricing. Here it's my go-to drunk food - eleven bucks for a large with any toppings. That's the cheapest in town besides the hot-n-ready mess.

We have some pretty great local pizza places but sometimes you're swimming in steak and just want a hotdog.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Sincerely sorry to have offended you. All I meant to say was that it didn't seem that bad to me, but yeah I did end up talking about Ferguson and Native Americans and Irish Jews and that was uncalled for.

I get that the slogan calls to mind "no means no", I just don't think it's actually causing anyone duress. All discussion of it seems to be "someone might be offended by this" rather than someone actually being offended?

Either way sorry to be a cock but I still think it's mountains from mole hills.

Don't worry, you're fine. The internet is full of turds so far out of every marketing demographic the real world couldn't see them with a telescope. No one except offense-enthusiast garbage children would interpret that slogan in a rapey way.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Glumslinger posted:

Ummm, no, fairly sure the difference is calories, and since most of the calories in beer are from alcohol, lower alcohol content

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_beer

Kinda. Lite beer has about 20% less alcohol, but 40% less calories. It's still a better diet proposition for getting drunk, but if you're at the point of trying to figure out how to get drunk within your diet you probably have bigger problems than that gut.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

Edit: Also if you think the only investor idiot bubble ongoing is in apps home delivered meal companies like blue-plate have market valuations of over $5 billion based on total revenues less than $40 million.

Speaking of terrible marketing, Blueplate and the other unprepared meal delivery services are god damned insane. Ten bucks per meal per person, and you still have to prepare it yourself and clean up. What niche are these services trying to fill? I cannot imagine there are too many people out there hankering to pay ten bucks per meal to cook it themselves and clean up afterward. I see businesses like this and imagine a boardroom full of suits thoroughly convinced that urban, childless professionals are surely a widespread and long-lasting market.

I liked the "family plan" being introduced though... $8.74 per person. $174.80 per week for a family, and that's just dinner. Jesus Christ.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A friend of mine was one of the first wave of buttcoiners. An insane man gave him his pretty nice car for all his sweet coinage.

I guess that was pretty good scootfroot, now that I think about it. The car ended up being worth around $30k and the buttcoins were supposedly worth around $70k at the time, but I'm pretty sure he couldn't find a way to cash out before the price crashed. "I'm gonna double my investment in one day! What do you mean I can't exchange them anymore??"

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Americans are really lazy and stupid and would rather insert a preloaded cup into an automatic coffee machine than pour out coffee beans into a filter.

Pod coffee sales are higher in Western Europe than America. Haha those stupid lazy americans though right?

I don't use one because the cost/benefit never worked out for me, but how does someone not get the appeal of a Keurig/Nespresso/Whatever single-serving coffee maker? No prep, no cleanup, and nearly as cost effective if you're just making a single cup. Also solves every problem with a coffee maker in a shared space; no more passive-aggressive notes for someone to clean the coffee maker or stop using so much of the communal coffee.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
But back to dumb moves in marketing... I like how the beef industry has tricked stupid Americans into eating rare or medium rare steaks so they can't detect the declining quality of the beef that only comes out when cooked well done.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

XYZ posted:

Steak chat will be worse than coffee chat noooooooooooo

:getin:

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Enough derails, back to dumb moves in marketing.

Circumcision was always marketed by doctors as a regular routine after birth , but popularity has dropped off precipitously in a single generation. Which is fine because it has no medical justification.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Madkal posted:

The best part of Trump's current ego trip is that it is actually costing him. Trump has no intention of becoming president and is basically just doing this for the publicity he constantly craves, but his own little ego boost is causing such great backlash that it is pretty much glorious.

The guy's a real estate billionaire with nearly all of his income coming from property investments. He makes more in one week from New York realty than all of his media and retail branding combined.

I mean sure he's reprehensible, but let's not pretend righteous boycotting is going to beggar the dude.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sweeperbravo posted:

Birth control commercials in general are a great topic though. Yaz pretty much was the poster child for "friends excitedly advertising really intimate products to friends" advert styles, until at some point there were severe health risks associated with the product that weren't disclosed in the ads and all of the ads got pulled (IIRC).

Hard to remember, but I could swear that one of those awful "excitedly overshare to the girls about birth control" ads had the lady start listing off the health risks without missing a beat.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wanamingo posted:

I looked this up since I've never heard about it before, and I don't think that the slogan was the campaign's biggest problem.

It's amazing how the culture of the future revolves around gay men in some marketer's eyes.

"What says 'the future' to me? Gay. Gaygaygay. Gay robot vodka, million bucks guaranteed."

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DrBouvenstein posted:

Man, you people have hosed up sex ed. I guess I take it for granted that I went to school in God-less, liberal New England.

I think it started in 6th grade, and that was just pretty basic stuff that everyone knew by then. Man has a weiner, girl's got a clam, smoosh 'em together, out pops a little man.

But then in 7-10th grade is when we had more serious stuff. Basically the same class, but taken, like, 3 loving times between junior high and high school.

We learned about STDs, proper condom usage, other BC methods like pills, diaphragms, sponges, vasectomies, etc...Even had units on breast, cervical, and testicular cancer. Lots of giggling and jokes when it came to fondling the fake silicone breasts and balls.

The only part I remember being sort of "anti-sex" was in one of the classes, one day some pregnant/just given birth teens who I imagine were fulfilling some sort of community service thing came in and were like "yeah, don't get knocked up as a teenager."

I think a lot of the bad sex ed stuff is made right the hell up. I grew up in rural Texas and got the sex ed experience you're describing. Condom on banana and everything.

Of course, that was the seventh grade sex ed. The fourth grade one was a lot less informative and more "this exists but you shouldn't be doing it". Not because of any fear of sex, but because we were like ten years old.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

InediblePenguin posted:

it literally helps if you're a man because a man can have different opinions but a woman who doesn't listen and agree with and do as she is told is a Threat To Our Traditional Way Of Life (source: was living in the south the year the Dixie Chicks did the thing & thus heard and read people's criticisms)

Not really. It was the timing, scale, location, and nature of what they said. Not even two years after 9/11 and anti-european sentiment was running wild in America and these geniuses thought it would be a good idea to use their huge platform to start apologizing to Europeans about America and how they're ashamed of us. And instead of letting it blow over, they doubled down on "this is why the rest of the world hates us" to the media outlets. Then right when people were forgetting about it they did the rounds on talk shows doing really backhanded apologies.

It was a really bad move and literally the worst way someone could have handled the situation as it progressed. Truly a dumb move in marketing.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The good thing about people buying $60,000 trucks is that 10-15 years later, people that actually use trucks for work will be able to afford them.

The switch from "selling to rural workers" to "selling to urban and suburban assholes" happened around 1995 and you can kind of track the transition from the commercials and the price. The commercials went from showing a farmer, to showing a contractor, to showing recreation activities as the price went from $9k to $32k for the base model.

So you end up with people who actually need pickups buying late nineties Ford Rangers while assholes buy their dick replacement.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Not a lie actually. Penguins may be native to the south but there are populations of wild penguins that have been transplanted to the Arctic :eng101:

To be fair, lots of people think that penguins are native to the Arctic and that polar bears live in Antarctica.

Also penguins don't deliver luxury cars.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Haha that's great. Brb ordering stun gun now.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sentient Data posted:

Least visually intrusive, sure, but one of the biggest problems is that it and analytics are absolutely horrid for anyone that cares the slightest bit about privacy. I don't care how powerful Google is, they aren't The Internet(TM) and they don't have the right to track absolutely everybody everywhere. Ditto facebook and the various other social buttons; simply caring about your own privacy is enough reason to install adblockers and noscript, let alone the bandwidth savings and the cpu savings if you're on a lovely computer

Google ads creep me out. Tracking in general creeps me out. Watch a movie on Netflix and suddenly there are ads for related media on Google ads. Download a file from piratebay and now there are suggestions for related movies on Netflix. Go to a running store, never post about it or search for related items, and now there's an ad for athletic shoes on some random webpage.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If it makes you feel better that photo came from paying some GAF a tenth of a penny apiece to find photos of women from a targeted geographic area.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I use a VPN service that hops exit servers every few hours. I get the strangest targeted ads because most people on these shared ips are looking at the grossest stuff imaginable.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For some reason all the ads on my phone think I'm a senior citizen. Then I start getting spam about burial insurance and medicare supplements. Yesterday I got a registration packet for AARP in the mail.

Who the gently caress do these people think I am and who has been telling them about me. How does this weird information spread? It's like a misinformation virus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
God drat it I'm telling you I was just thirty, who are you people and where's my new coke I'm thirsty drat it all