Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The name "Chupa Chups" is kind of weird though because it's derived from the Spanish verb chupar, to suck. So it's like calling the candy sucky-suckies.

When I was in high school, there was a Chupa Chups commercial with an animated, very hyper lollypop salivating and slurping and licking his lips, while suggesting we grab and lick him. Nothing particularly wrong with that I guess, but easy fodder for a juvenilr sense of humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
There's a commercial that used be on here for a brand of tasteless frozen pizzas, I want to say Dr Oetker, that has a couple eating them at a romantic dinner table with knife and fork.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Speaking of badly aimed commercials, there's a brand of garbage chocolate (probably only European, not in the US) called Ritter Sport that has a commercial with people running around, riding karts, and it all seems to imply that really active and fit people love to munch on some chocolate inbetween kickflips and going biking in a muddy forest. It always strikes me as a really misfire way to push your product.

Their tagline is "Square. Easy. Delicious." I'd love to see the pitch meeting where a guy tries to convey how difficult other chocolate bars are.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Ritter Sport is marketed as a deluxe European chocolate in the US.

Well in that case, I'm deeply sorry you guys are being lied to like that.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Still, the button to skip is right there on your remote: the fact that some dingus programmed the dvd so it doesn't work when I want it to really got on my tits the first time I watched a dvd.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'd hit it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Arguably it's going back to the days where only nerds know how to use a computer. Until tablets and smartphones were a thing, everyone needed a desktop or laptop to use the internet, and needed to learn a few basic computer things.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Evilreaver posted:

Like a seashell, if you put your ear to a vagina, you can smell the ocean

For some reason women really don't like it when you do this, though.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Dr_Amazing posted:

90s fashion always makes me think of both florescent green baseball hats and neon pink t-shirts, and the exact opposite with the grunge flannel look.

It makes me think of jeans and sweaters two sizes too big.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
There's been a commercial for a car renting business around here where a guy gets totally ignored at work, and it's just really sad, so he rents a convertible and suddenly he's getting noticed. All I can think of is "wow, that guy's a loser... that's who you think your clients are?"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Haha, goddamn. I didn't know about this game before the interview, but that's John Romero levels of hubris. He's basically saying "suck it down, you whore, you know you want it" in less vulgar terms.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I work in sort of a mom & pop store in a street with lots of such stores, and we just got a proposal from a few other shopkeepers to all start accepting bitcoin. Aside from the fact that everything I know about bitcoin is ridiculous and related to anonymous drugs purchasing, I cannot imagine why someone would want to spend bitcoins around here (despite the proposal claiming they've had a whole bunch of clothing webshop sales from bitcoin).

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
People do realize you don't have to play a game the way its makers tell you, right? I mean, all of that sounds like an april fool's joke, but you don't have to do anything with them.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Lol if you don't have your manservant Enrique grind the beans using his feet

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Instant Sunrise posted:

i get the context for spock to be wearing that huge oven mitt, but drat if it doesn't look ridiculous

Break Spock off that ornament and get a Barbie kitchen set, and you turn tragedy into Spock making Christmas dinner.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Holy poo poo, I remember that episode because Bones actually says "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!"

I think the alien in that episode was the most low budget thing they ever did outside of just having mobster aliens. It was literally just someone undulating under a blanket painted with orange "lava" spots.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
All the McDonalds where I live seem to cater to people who want to eat the same thing for the rest of their lives. At incredibly irregular intervals they offer a new type of burger for a few weeks and then never serve them again.

I miss that chicken saté

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Grey Fox posted:

You're a saint. My dad was amped about this game back in the day (I didn't know who Robert Patrick was or why he was excited to see him voice a game character), and I'm convinced he's completely forgotten about it. This'll be something nice to break out after Thanksgiving dinner rather than just bitching about useless politicians for hours.

edit: To this day, I don't know how people can say the turtle puzzle was more infuriating than the glowy-orb-robot thing you had to program commands for so it'd pick something up. Literally the only puzzle I've ever called a goddam tipline for in my entire life.

edit2: Oh!!! I completely forgot the game even came with a card that gave you like five free minutes on the tipline, like those fuckers knew.

The turtle puzzle pales in frustration to the bit where you have to show Maggie a specific item on a specific screen, with absolutely no hint you have to do that. That had me stuck for years.

I can't use these two things together.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Boywhiz88 posted:

Can you spoiler the puzzle? I'm super familiar with a lot of them but I can't think which specific one.

at one point Maggie is following you and you have to show the tablet you found in the alien museum to her, but she'll just say it reminds her of something she can't quite remember. Unless you show it to her on a specific beach screen with some glowing rocks, where she'll use it to summon a little island in the water.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah this is exactly the kind of bullshit I was talking about. People make up whatever titles they want, and then they don't have any legal requirements. But they make up fake official-sounding names and people totally fall for it.

"Nicologist" is pretty obviously bullshit but "nutritionist" fools a ton of people.

Irish comedian Dara O'Briain has a good bit where he mentions 'dietician' is the protected term, but nutrionist is not. I think his wife's a dietician.

edit: vv Oops

davidspackage has a new favorite as of 09:00 on Dec 4, 2015

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Oxyclean posted:

Where did it start/whats the story behind it? Been following the thread on and off and missed where it started.

People were one-upping each other with increasingly snobbish remarks in a coffee discussion in, I think, the Life Hacks thread. I said something about having your manservant Enrique grind your beans. To this day, it remains the most memorable achievement in my life.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I know it's a typo, but Mr Shpagetti is an even better dog name.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm surprised they weren't killed, to be honest.

I'm annoyed they weren't.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Whenever I see one of those jagged gamer-mice I shudder at the nasty buildup of sweatgunk it's going to have in a week.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Perfume commercials are always incredibly pretentious, but Depp's "I'm going to the desert to be at peace w/nature also apparently I always wear Jack Sparrow make-up now" ad made me embarassed for him.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Away all Goats posted:

The drunk person made the accusation because the father kept shielding his daughter away. A sure sign of sex slave trafficking, and not a responsible parent keeping their child away from an inebriated total stranger.

Heyyy. Little girl. Heyyyy you. C'mover her for a second. C'mereeee. I juss wanna talk to ya.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

mojo1701a posted:

"Citizen, your minced bovine meat and wheat-based enclosure with slivers of fried starchy tuber and Diet Coke has been prepared."

"Have an agreeable day."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
"You saw what we did to your clubs, Mr. Goggin. Do you really want to make a thing of this?"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh noooo

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

HerStuddMuffin posted:

But you don't understand, those personal coffee pots eat into our profit margins. Those employees are basically stealing our coffee racket money :qq:

We're barely making ends meet as it is because those strongarming communist employees expect money for their labors, the least they can do is let us monetize their basic needs!

btw we're going to start charging you ticket prices to get into the building in the morning

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm hearing radio commercials lately (Netherlands) for I think a cable provider that repeatedly references the toughness and manliness of Chuck Norris. Every time I'm so embarassed for them referencing a 10-15 year old internet meme that I can't remember what they're actually advertizing.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

Vox did a video about Black Peter on Youtube and seemingly every racist Dutch person ever came to comment on how Americans should shut the gently caress up about other countries

People get their drat lives threatened for suggesting that Zwarte Piet should be changed or removed from Sinterklaas. A children's holiday.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I read that there's FIVE GoT spinoff series being planned and while that's undoubtedly nonsensical grandstanding to sell one or two, what would all of that possibly be about.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

The Dove ad is disgusting and inexcusable since the image of black people being "dirty" and becoming clean and white is old as hell. I can't find it now but there's an excellent essay demonstrating how advertising for mundane hygiene products was and still is rife with racism and colonialism. Pears Soap comes to mind, but they were hardly alone.

Also I saw that McDs is now going to bring back the gross sauce since all the boys got their fee-fees hurt after being lovely to employees online and in-person. I wish they'd never bring back anything like it again.

It seems so unlikely that no one, no one at Dove's marketing didn't at one point say "guys, this could be problematic," that I have to wonder if they didn't think they could spin the controversy in their favor.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Trig Discipline posted:

It's going to take an awful lot of IV drugs and unsafe sex, but I think we can do it.

Pozzing every neg rear end

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Hey is this the pyf anecdotal justification for racism thread? Cause lemme tell ya something about those Belarusians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Are "Incel tics" what happens when misogynists have Tourette's?

*twitches* NOTFOOK! NOASS!