Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The gift shop stayed open for a year and a half past the restaurant showing nobody really wants to eat a Hard Rock, they just want the T-shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
One weird trick to turn a hard supply chain problem into a smart marketing move. Our cilantro is pants shittingly good!

I'd have voted with with Chipotle kids when faced with Chipotle vs Hard Rock.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Bukkake was/is a style of saucing food. The sex act takes after it.

E. I'm pretty sure purveyors of bukkake have already been making the jokes

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Some informercials are trying to sell through a seacan of disability aids and some of them are a coked out inventor who wants to cut a row boat in half and they're all framed by there's got to be a better way because it's 2019 and everyone knows exactly what they are going to get out of the exchange.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Croatoan posted:

Oh? Can you elaborate? I mean it doesn't matter to me, I use a reusable insulated bottle but why wouldn't aluminum be recyclable?
Aluminum uses the same energy to process per pound whether it's raw ore or recyclable material. The value of recycling entirely depends on the balance between the logistics cost to sort and take your aluminum trash to the facility vs the mining cost. And considering most people don't live near the foundry and the foundries are mostl next to the mines it isn't such a home run as people first think when read foundries use the same energy per pound either way.

Recycling as a whole is a participation trophy you get for failing reuse and reduce and except for a few lean mean local supply chains that are really doing it acceptable it mostly just gets sold and resold until it's illictly dumped into a South Pacific lagoon.

That doesn't mean we should stop but you know just be aware the blue bin isn't a magic environmental win button.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

InediblePenguin posted:

cite your sources so we can at least point and laugh at the idiot who taught you this instead of just assuming you're the idiot who made it up in your own idiot head
I'm an idiot who made it up in my head.

I think I mixed it up between glass being the wash recycling and most ore smelters being run off hydro while recyclers can get by on more expensive energy sources.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Nice marketing moves: Every 30 seconds (2880 times a day) this unique and stylish gold watch will flash "TIME TO gently caress"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Anticheese posted:

I heard the same story but it involved Colgate.
I think the Colgate one is vaguely real, or at least its parroted in business schools.

Consumer good market elasticity due to advertising should be enough to prove to anyone there are not rational actors driving things.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Everybody trying to describe the smell and taste are kind of grasping at straws. The smell and taste are only describable as characteristic.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Make paper pulp out of "naked" cellulose from algae or biodigested grass and reduce costly bleaching and lignin removal. Continue sustainable forestry and bury excess wood as a carbon sink.

I wish both points were as easy as typing them out. Paper manufacturers aren't any more married to trees than fiber length and the alternative methods compete more with recycled fiber than virgin tree fiber when it comes to quality and length. And we're still figuring out what carbon sequestration should look like, and if forestry can and should play a part.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yeah, the marketing approach is simple to pinpoint as a call out based on the people who boggle at fast food not rotting like an old vegetable after a couple days. It's positively straightforward and incredibly lacking in the reptile brain bullshit that would tell you "please don't make customers brains light up mold and tasty burger at the same time I'm begging you"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
No better time to get a swimsuit on sale then when you can't go to the beach. Idiots you dont even need to wait till winter this year smdh

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Partial credit. Hammers and shoes are still more common than torx sets.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its certainly a collection of sales-isms that probably worked in one time and place and wouldn't be surprised if they still work now because they are so widely implemented if you try something else you look suspicious.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You don't understand. It's logically consistent. After the climactic unveiling of the Ms Monopoly boardgame, there is a denouement where the young women receive education grants! It's about women inventors! Why are you still laughing?

*Ms Monopoly is a latte sipping venture capitalist and we are one step closer to proving we are in hell*

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
At least the my face is a Disney character ones are cute and new prints. Some of those Mickey and Minnie ones and the other repeating patterns are clearly using extra fabric from the underwear bolts and will make it look like you have an 8 year olds underpants strapped to your face.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The Germans have such sights to show you on boardgames.

Board games tend to be really expensive so its a hard business proposition to create and sell a board game that you know doesn't just have a constant influx of idiots like themed Monopoly. Kickstarter is almost the perfect vehicle for the niche board game now though. The manufacturing costs are pretty up there if you don't do volume and if you're just a couple guys in their Werkstatt making indie submissions for the Spiel des Jahres they usually do a limited run and just charge excessive amounts for a set and maybe give open source reproduction instructions if they're nice. Getting perordered in Kickstarter let's them negotiate decent volume contracts driving price down and profit up for themselves.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The MSJ posted:

By the way, some panty liner ads are starting to use red fluid instead of blue. Maybe some day we will see the equivalent change for diaper ads.
If we're really wishing on a star here I'm ready for adversarial ads to disappear.

First the tests are more made up than a round of Who's Line is it Anyway. Dumping a Kool aid pitcher in a liner, using a tampon as a reverse tea bag to drink a cup of water, wiping up puddles of water with toilet paper. Hmm yes all very accurate.

Once the dumb test is invented they put their finger on the scale and make their material abnormally water absorbent to the detriment of human factors: it absorbs easily but also drains and squishes out easily, or it feels like garbage, or does (or doesn't, there's a middle ground to find here) disintegrate moments after absorbing it all. This seems especially relevant to the baby poop selfie problem.

Then for their adversary they take "the leading national brands best selling" and put in small print it's their value/cheap version vs the premium version and no poo poo the product that costs 5X as much absorbs twice as much.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Speaking of dumb marketing moves and social scoring who remembers Klout?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If it isn't fireworks it's dog peer pressure. Verbal control is leaving enough leash to hang yourself with and are bad laws imo. Working dogs who have graduated from dog school are still kept on a leash on the job (for the jobs where it's possible) because it's such a good short circuit.

Dog parks with bad density control are similarly a menace because at least the fence means they arent going to bolt into traffic but the dog peer pressure gets to be a menace.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Iron Crowned posted:

Hell, it doesn't take a brain genius to read a dictionary, they're only changing it now because that shits out in the open
They tried spinning it as "we thought antibellum is a fun southern word, we didn't even understand what it means!"

It's their right to legally challenge for the Lady A name but gently caress em.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Bloop posted:

Lady A is a stupid non-change for them anyway because it's still implying the word, like you still think the word, so they're still saying it

As if someone made their username Nstompter88 or whatever, yeah that's still the thing
This is making me imagine how hard it must be to find a unique, useful Gmail if your name is Nathan S Tomper, born in 1988.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

sweeperbravo posted:

lol if you don't just sell enrique's name
Where do you think Enrique Iglesias got his name?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I can solve everybody's problem here and a few problems you didn't know you had. You shouldn't be especially handling your PPE outside of a warm zone donning/doffing station after which you wash your hands. Have a dedicated spot you visit on the way out of your house everytime to get your corona kit and don your mask. It should be out of the way of what you normally do, in a utility room or garage or such. But unmissable on your way out. Visit it every time on the way in and immediately hit the sink right after.

No throwing it in the car seat. No relying on emergency ones squirreled way who knows where gathering who knows what. You do not touch it unless you are at your home station, or on/near a bathroom to wash your hands before eating.

Any protection is good protection so feel free to ignore all of the above as long as you are wearing a mask, but it's important PPE and everybody's outlook increases if you treat it like real PPE.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The only constant ads I can remember are the empty your bowel one. Its the first one trick your doctor doesn't want you to know one I can remember. They've fronted eggs, burning nuts, and boiling banana peels. Medical history has no shortage of examples of ways to make you poop that make no sense and can fool no one (because the poop doesn't come out)

I put forth that poop scams are the first quackery and will be the last quackery.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

silence_kit posted:

It is a dumb marketing move, but Trader Joe's as far as I know doesn't deal with food wholesalers/distributors, and deals with producers/growers directly. At least this is what they advertise. I think to be most accurate they'd have to say 'one fewer middle-man'.

I am pretty glad though that I live in a world where I don't have to deal with food producers directly to buy my food and can just go to the grocery store or go online and buy almost anything I could want. I often like retail middle-men.
If you read between the lines what the sign is really saying is "remember Trader Joe's is owned by a multinational grocery business who is so large they own their own distribution centers instead of relying on local wholesalers DCs." The same locals doing direct store delivery to the other grocery chains in the area will still be doing DSD if they're able to be sold at Trader Joe's. Everything coming in from a regional DC will be piggybacking the Aldi's DC instead of Associated Wholesale or whatever local wholesalers is in your area.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
PB Crisps were the original everything is cake. Making food the shape of something and filled with something else is an affront to God.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Most people consider their credit cards wrecked after I swipe them through my balls or crack, even without the magnets.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CJacobs posted:

So what? I'm forever lolling at them that they have effectively infinite R&D and yet are only smart or willing enough to accomplish the broken sort-of-kind-of-sometimes-accurate way it currently works

edit: "Hey boss! I just found out from our quarterly reports that we now officially have more money than god! Do you think we should funnel some of that money into developing more accurate targeted advertising?"

"Nahhh don't worry about it, we make enough money as is from people buying shirts that let everyone know they're a forklift operator born in the month of july with two dogs and you'd better step off!"
Advertising clearly does something, but usually in ways you can't really quantity without running your whole business into the ground as demonstrated by every company that has ever said something like "advertising is clearly not value add. We're at the top on value proposition alone. Shut the agencies contracts down". If you're a middle rung company your marketing R&D is going to be buying reports of what your competitors are doing in marketing and doing the same things so it just becomes an echo chamber where everybody used Google ads because everybody used Google ads.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That idea that the labels are just a label is just about common with social sciences. You'll have a hypothesis like "dog lovers also donate to charity" and read the procedure and see nothing that guaranteed the cohort actually loves dogs, but the cohort is cohesive in maybe some other way to get a proven hypothesis, sort of. The discussion and peer review absolutely picks up that maybe the hypothesis proven was for some other characteristic but science press picks it up as literally "dog lovers single handedly the most charitable people in the world."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Hacking worries in 2001: they are going to steal my back account by hacking my desktop computer!
Hacking worries in 2020: please help my refrigerator keeps clicking on ads and tweeting MAGA

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I do a lot of corporate earnest posting not because I think we have to hand it to them but because I am fascinated that there is a weird, knowable logic to the corporate machine and how they are preparing us to dehumanize ourself and face to bloodshed.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I never understood the Aloy ugly thing. HZD is one of the games I've most caught my self lasciviously staring during debates on which armor to use.

Focus grouping the poo poo out of lady protagonists sucks and just gives an excuse when a game isn't good for other reasons. And VPs still walk away with the completely wrong impression from stuff like Mass Effect and rear end Creed Odyssey gender stats.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Facebook Aunt posted:

Looked it up, the difference is a single ingredient.

And the difference between Coke Zero and the new Coke No Sugar is the new one will use Stevia as the sweetener.
It's an ingredients list, not a recipe. Unless it's on the reportable list of additives, natural and artificial flavorings can include any amount or mixture of beaver buttholes etc. Coke is basically caramel colored Sprite using this groundbreaking analysis.

Beverage marketing is weird, their job is basically take any number of things that people really want in a blind test and figuring out how to not completely fail taking it to a market where people have drank the same thing for 20 years and are not actually in the market to change. It's really funny Dr Pepper did the Coke zero thing exactly but said the quiet part out loud.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Santa's elves windexing the snot off his plexiglass cage has completed me as a human being in 2020.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Helith posted:

I may regret asking this, but what is Outback's Alice Springs Chicken? because no such dish actually exists in Australia.
It's new to delivery. It's just a chicken dinner but it takes all day to get there.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That looks like the ancient practice of loving around in the CMS while trying to keep your boss/editor from publishing by accident. Presume you pay when you approve to publish in this system and somebody hit the button on someone's sandbox object.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

redgubbinz posted:

Does any of this burger king marketing genius stop their food from tasting like it's been sitting inside a diesel particulate filter for 2 hours?
They go through great food science pains to make it taste like a diesel exhaust.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Azathoth Prime posted:

Was Lowtax involved?
Yes. Using the entirely wrong sort of account type and accounting to collect donations so ehhh but still gently caress banks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Azathoth Prime posted:

Do we have anything other than Lowtax’s word on how it went down? I was around back then but I don’t remember the details. We know now that he lied constantly about SA and money; do we have any external corroboration that it was Paypal being unreasonable and not just another Lowtax scam?
If it wasn't clear it was completely Lowtaxed although the PayPal response was standard 2000s bank seize it all and gently caress you wel'l figure it out later. Public paypal TOS at the time allowed no wiggle room to run a charity drive out of your account