Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

AFewBricksShy posted:

Let It Go had the same problem.

Powerful ballad about being yourself and not hiding who you are, sung by someone who is actively running away from all she knows and voluntarily exiling herself from where she grew up because her differences make her dangerous.

Ok, good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

This noise scared the poo poo out of my dog. Now I know why she doesn't sleep at the bottom of the bed anymore. :(

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Len posted:

i'm like 90% positive it was on these forums i read someone saying they make female mmo characters because "if i'm going to be staring at an rear end for hundreds of hours it's going to be female"

I heard that from het dudes all through college, so it was happening irl at least into the late aughts.

Hell, the devs for Horizon Zero Dawn got a lot of pushback from the publisher because they thought dudes wouldn't want to play as a non-sexy female protagonist. And that started development in like 2013.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

zedprime posted:

I never understood the Aloy ugly thing. HZD is one of the games I've most caught my self lasciviously staring during debates on which armor to use.

Granted I'm a straight gal, but I thought she was fairly attractive. By unsexy, I meant that her body type is realistic for a teenager, and they didn't stick her in boob armor. Most of the outfits are a version of "bulky furs/leather/ghillie suits" that could easily be unisex. (I actually quite liked the clothes, they did a good job of varying the designs based on location/culture.)

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

CommonShore posted:

I've been bopping today around trying to find a piece of collaborative software for a certain task (basically I need like a whiteboard that people can log into without registering or installing stuff, even if I have to pay on my end) and someone suggested "Wrike" to me. I went and signed up for a free account, and they insisted on a phone number. Since this was a work thing and I figured it would be necessary if I decided to get a full subscription I bopped a phone number in there and went about checking the features.

The fuckers phoned me 20 minutes later

I promptly deleted all personal information from my profile before deleting the account with a reason that said (I paraphrase) "I'm mostly deleting this because you phoned me what the gently caress is wrong with you"

Reminds me of the company Dan Lyons worked for in Disrupted. If you sign up for their service, it pings the sales team every time you browse their site so that a sales rep can give you a call.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Plastik posted:

There are aggregator services that will straight-up buy partially completed lead forms from you. I assume they hound your partial clients to the end of their days.

Also, never under any circumstances give Zillow any of your info. They send your info straight to a Realtor and don't care what happens after that, and some of those people have automated lead development pathways (schedules of phone calls and text messages placed automatically) that last as long as 3 years.

I wonder if that's why I've been getting texts once a month from random numbers offering to buy my house. They always start with "Hi, sorry to text! I'm looking for the owner of [my address]. I pay in cash..." Like I'd prefer a spam call to a text I can immediately delete.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
I'm apparently the only one in the world who prefers HFCS to cane sugar. I associate the taste of sugar with diet drinks because it tastes like aspartame.

Arizona tea switched over to sugar briefly, and it sucked so much.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
I mean, if I ate a pack of Equal and a pack of sugar, I'd be able to tell the difference, but in drinks they taste the same. :shrug:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Veotax posted:

Those click-bait insurance adds that you get in the UK sure have taken a turn.

Apologies for taking a photo of a screen, but I saw this on my super locked-down work laptop and couldn't be arsed to email it to myself.

This got an actual audible laugh from me. If you told me this had come from the Onion's "News In Photos," I'd believe it.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Captain Hygiene posted:

It took me until I moved out to really develop a taste for interesting and exciting foods, everything we had at home was of the simple meat-and-potatoes variety. But it was more of the "salt is acceptable, maaaaaaybe use one grain of black pepper...but no more" variety of seasoning, I hadn't realized there was a big unseasoning tier below that.
When I was a kid, my dad would make "spicy mac & cheese" which was bowties in Velveeta with a few shakes of black pepper.

On the other hand, my husband grew up with actual spicy food and legitimately did not believe me when I told him people use black pepper to make things hotter. I had to pull up the Wiki page to prove it.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Breetai posted:

YouTube 'personalities' who thanks to algorithm-driven recommendation weighting have preview images for every one of their videos set as near-identical shots of their faces, in close-up, with an expression of extreme goofy surprise. They are incapable of reacting to anything that they talk about or exhibit at anything less than 100db and maximum display of emotion and quirk.
I don't know why this shtick bothers me so much, but it's absolutely everywhere. Want to learn the bass line to Immigrant Song? Your two options are a) person who's an amazing musician but mumbles his way through the instructions on a low res phone cam, b) a waaaacky YouTube personality that mugs at the camera every 5 seconds to remind viewers just how quirky he is.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

quote:

chumps, rednecks, Bible-thumpers, Nazis, Uncle Tom, intolerant and bitter clingers.

Love marketing pitches that call for exactly one token black customer.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 07:21 on Jan 11, 2021

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Micky D's is apparently adding more chicken sandwiches, one of which is a blatant copy of Chick-fil-A, which is probably a great marketing move.

quote:

On Monday, the company announced three versions of a new chicken sandwich, which will be available nationally on February 24: The Crispy Chicken Sandwich, topped with pickles and served on a potato roll, the Spicy Chicken Sandwich, which adds a spicy pepper sauce, and the Deluxe Chicken Sandwich, which comes with lettuce, tomatoes and mayo. McDonald's told investors in November to expect a new chicken sandwich this year.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/04/business/mcdonalds-new-chicken-sandwiches/index.html

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Phanatic posted:

I'm reminded of that Tropicana label disaster.

I had to look this up because I'd completely forgotten about it in the last few years. I remember the packaging looking cheap, but I missed the awful new slogan.

quote:

Tropicana released a new advertising campaign along with its packaging strategy. The main message communicated in this campaign was “Squeeze, it’s a natural”.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

RoboRodent posted:

https://twitter.com/DeafmemesExe/status/1366197559715364868

Is it intentional? Let's hope not, because they also put it on a baby onesie.

lol I'm not even close to being fluent in ASL, and even I know that this is a disaster. Although the sign I learned had fingers curled towards each other, kind of like air quotes if they were, you know, loving.

(Fun fact: The sign for "whore" is one set of finger quotes bouncing over every finger of your other hand. Basically, someone who fucks an unknown number of people.)

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

CJacobs posted:

There's a pro-lifer ad on a billboard along the highway near my town that reads "IF UNBORN INFANTS COULD VOTE - THEY'D VOTE TRUMP" with a pic of a fetus to this day.

I drove through rural Virginia a few years back for the eclipse, and hooo boy was that an interesting experience. I've been to NoVA plenty of times, and wasn't expecting southwestern VA to be that different. But all of a sudden there were billboards about how Obama is the Antichrist and Satan is watching you and Jesus would vote Republican, etc etc.

Absolutely beautiful scenery though.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

- Mario is so bad in mario party that it's easier to play as Luigi who does nothing

- twitter = mario, and luigi = tumblr in this analogy

- tumblr algorithm picked up the word "twitter" after a post criticizing it and decided that was the best place to advertise twitter

(Let me know if that first part is right, I haven't played mario party in a few years)

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Plastik posted:

5 Stars, zero ratings is the real punchline.

Haha I completely missed that.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
I have a friend who's a chef, and the advice he gave me was to order beef less well-done at cheap places and more well-done at upscale places*. Reason being, Applebees doesn't want to risk giving you salmonella, and the Michelin chef doesn't want to risk cooking the flavor out of the meat.

*assuming you're not ordering rare to begin with

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Anytime the phrase "culture fit" comes up, it's time to run for the hills. The only time I've ever seen it not be a dog-whistle is when I was interviewing for a company that was ~50% black employees, and it meant "are you a racist fucknut or not?"

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
I remember some company using Dust In The Wind to promote their new green car (Nissan Leaf maybe?) because it was so high tech that it left everyone in the dust. I'm convinced the execs who signed off on it got as far as the title and said "yeah, sounds good" because there's no way you could listen to even a few seconds of that song and think it's a crowd pleaser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

the holy poopacy posted:

What are you talking about? The verisimilitude is breathtaking, it really looks like he's dying inside as he delivers his lines.

My favorite part is the old "cross your arms and look at the floor and hope the mall kiosk guy gets the hint" pose that lasts throughout the entire thing.

(love your av btw)