Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Here's a dumb move that never happend, but still ended up being awful.

In 2010 Cult Energy decided that they needed a new angle to sell their decade old mediocre swill. I was told that it was because the legalization of Red Bull in 2009 ate a big part of their market, but that's another story. Cult wanted to get the younger audience, so they made a 30 second commercial for TV. It was a remake of The Prodigy's classic "Smack My Bitch Up" music video, but instead of the normal twist, it would show a 12 year old boy with a bottle of Cult in the mirror. It was banned before it could air on television.

:nws:Instead they made these two posters :nws:and put them up on every single bus shed in Denmark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Can you source that for me?

There is much, much more to it, but the unionized culture of Europe certainly didn't help. Wal-Mart's failure in Germany is a must-read.

http://thetimchannel.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/w024.pdf

They came into the wrong market, at the wrong time, with the wrong concept, in the wrong country, with the wrong goods, with the wrong employees, buying out the wrong chains, breaking the wrong laws, doing literally everything wrong.

It was a trainwreck.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Electronic Arts partnered with GameStop for a one-day promotion of Dante's Inferno on September 9, 2009 (9/9/9). Those that pre-ordered the game were offered a $6.66 discount, the Number of the Beast.[16] In addition, EA conducted an unsolicited mailing in which checks for $200 were sent to selected video game critics, with the following note:

"In Dante's Inferno, Greed is a two-headed beast. Hoarding wealth feeds one beast, and squandering it satiates the other. By cashing this check you succumb to avarice by hoarding filthy lucre, but by not cashing it, you waste it, and thereby surrender to prodigality. Make your choice and suffer the consequence for your sin. And scoff not, for consequences are imminent."[17]

:psyduck:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Wow, it really is about ethics in video game journalism!
Joystiq gave their check to charity which is the only ethical thing gaming marketing have ever done.
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/09/ea-marketers-send-joystiq-a-200-check-and-we-save-their-souls/

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Thoughtless posted:

Well, this is the classic one. I think it was posted earlier in the thread but...

I might be wrong, but isn't "I'd hit it" slang for sex in the United States? What is this ad trying to tell me?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

I've always disliked adverts that sink to saying their competitor is poo poo. On one hand you have the ones that just say "blah blah % better then the leading brand..." or "better then the other guys" or "better then the generic brand"

It's crazy often this happens in North America. I mean not only are you assaulted by commercial blocks every 10 minutes, you also have to watch Pizza Hut do brutal takedowns on another pizza chain. It's really uncomfortable when you come from a country where you can't outright name other companies.

Speaking of terrible U.S. commercials, around 2010-2011 on Memorial Day I saw a tv ad for what I think was U.S. oil and it had videos of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, burning World Trade Center and warfare spliced over a money counter that kept going up, while a gruff man said "EVERY TIME YOU BUY FOREIGN OIL, AMERICAS ENEMIES GETS STRONGER".

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

"One way trip"... :stare:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Helith posted:

If you want to be free of Starbucks making you use stupid names (and lovely coffee) come to Australia the land where Starbucks failed. I think there are only a few Starbucks still operating here, mainly in tourist areas, despite the fact that Australians drink a lot of coffee.
Starbucks fell flat on their face here and there are quite a few case studies detailing why.

How the local competition defeated a global brand: The case of Starbucks

tl:dr
Starbucks barged into the Australian market thinking they could treat it exactly like the American market and got told to gtfo by Aussies who are self proclaimed and proud coffee snobs.

Anyone for a flat white?

Holy poo poo this is a good read.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

dissss posted:

I know every lovely laptop seems to have to have branding these days, but the audio on this particular one is pretty drat bad and is the last thing I'd want my fancy hifi brand associated with

B&O haven't been doing too well due to the 2008 financial crisis, so I can see why they would branch out. I don't know why a producer of $10,000 luxury TVs and stereos would have anything to do with Asus, but here we are.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Linking a PDF, because jesus christ this thing.

http://www.goldennumber.net/wp-content/uploads/pepsi-arnell-021109.pdf

The Arnell Group was paid millions to do this.

BREATHTAKING
Creation of Identity: The Pepsi Universe
A. Universe Expansion
The universe expands exponentially with f(x)=e
x
[1 light year = 671 million miles per hour].
B. The Pepsi Orbits
Dimensionalize exponentially.
Pepsi Planet
Pepsi Galaxy
Pepsi Universe

???????

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I really want to try them but they won't be as good as they should be

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

princecoo posted:

Anyway, because of the home renovation angle, companies love to pay to get their poo poo inserted, pretty much just a bunch of paid presentations. So Mary and Bob have decided to repaint this bathroom purple, and they're using this gorgeous shade from Duralux paint and they'll be seen screwing together a fancy bed with a Bosch power tool etc.

I knew a guy here who owns a company that deals with high quality wood, and he was asked if he would sponsor materials for a similar program in return for "free advertisement" on the show. He only did it once, because the advertising was basically a 2 second long shot of his company logo and single mention in the credits.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

There was a game shop that opened in England about 2 years ago called "Grainger Games". Let's just say their PR could have used a little work:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2011/10/how-an-unknown-games-retailer-committed-suicide-at-a-gaming-awards-event/

They still survived a a shop somehow. I bought a few games there myself :P

What the gently caress-

I know that gaming awards are universally terrible but this is insane. Dwarves, condoms and toilet coke !

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

They're pushing those all over Scandinavia at the moment and it's just the same sad euro burger with a few different stuffings. They're not as greasy or as big as the real US burgers, but who cares, it's mcdonalds.

It's regular mcd but with a weird americaboo twist in the advertisement

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

ghost emoji posted:

edit: Never mind, here's a lovely commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRP9OFx9W8c

Progressive might be the company I hated the least after a two week trip to Minnesota. They have a lot of different commercials in rotation, so the endless commercial breaks at least had something mildly interesting to offer. It also decreases the chance of seeing a specific annoying Progressive ad.
Also the huge amount of commericals made me realise why every hour in 24 was only 45 minutes at home.

The worst commercials were either the prescription drugs who dedicated 1-2 minutes to listing side effects while smiling people did stuff, or all the shady lawyers telling me that I can get a bag of cash if I died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

what the gently caress

Psychedelicatessen has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Feb 23, 2017