Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sharts posted:

This ad for wi-fi enabled Audi motors left an impression on me when I saw it on a billboard a few years ago:

No ring though

There is no way that is not deliberate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

Tip of the iceberg

https://web.archive.org/web/20130906035102/http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/electronic-arts-marketing-of-dantes-inferno.html (Sorry for the archive link the original seems to be dead)

The entire ad campaign was insane. Each month was a new gimmick based on the 9 levels of hell.

They kicked it off in Limbo by staging a fake protest at E3 by Christian Right groups about the game (No controversy is bad controversy and all that) and when found out it was not well recieved. Then next layer, Lust they had a "Sin to Win" contest where you were supposed to do something sexually inapproriate with a comic con booth babe and photograph it for a chance for "a sinful night with two hot girls, a limo service, paparazzi and a chest full of booty."

Yeah that was pulled pretty fast. The stuff after it was a lot more tame but some weirdness like the Greed one you mentioned.

The second is plain hosed up because they are encouraging people to sexually harass women not involved with the campaign at all. There must not have been a single woman or lawyer in the room when they came up with that idea

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Quit being an obtuse jackass. The Lust thing was a terrible loving idea since you do not need to be a marketing genius to figure out that Gamers are some of the last people you want to encourage to do anything sexual with strangers, especially with a woman whose job doesn't leave her with as many options to decline offers for "lewd posing."

Rational people would approach them, say "Hey, this game is doing a marketing campaign where they want consumers to pose for a "lewd" act with a booth girl, would you like to help me?" and then everything after that would be on the up and up.

Most of it however was probably nerds creeping the gently caress out of the women, invading their personal space, and they had to be as polite as possible because they were on the clock and worried about getting fired for "overreacting" by management's definition.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WickedHate posted:

A whole lot of food that used to be considered absolute trash is now gourmet, like lobster. In the future, a meal of hot pockets could be worth millions of dollars, microwaved by the 6 finest chefs in the world.

Same with oysters. For some reason seafood was seen as the food of the poor for centuries until some French chefs realized how good crustaceans could be.

FutonForensic posted:

Also noteworthy is the "Flavor Pioneers" section, featuring the "Official IJustine Pizza" and the "Official Rooster Teeth Podcast Pizza." :psyduck:

I checked out the new Pizza Hut campaign, and they hired 4 semi-big youtube celebrities to design new pizza combos, probably to show off how "hip" they were. One article mentioned how these people have no food service knowledge and most "recipes" are usually product tested for months before being launched.

I ordered one of the new pizzas and its literally just extra sauces and glazes dumped on the same lovely pizza as always. They advertise "Free sauce drizzle" and "Free crust flavor" like its a fantastic deal.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

i heard that Sonic plays ads in areas with no location just to drum up buzz before they open one up.

They have been playing them in my area for 6+ years now and the nearest one is over an hour away.

This absolutely happens. The only Sonic in Virgina is about at the halfway point between Richmond and DC, a 3 hour drive, and Sonic ads air on every channel in DC. The next closest one is in Baltimore, about 2-3 hours away.

Still haven't opened a Sonic anywhere closer in the last 5 years though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Your Sledgehammer posted:

So here's the latest turd from McDonald's.

I thought the whole "Adversaries" animated thing was pretty good as far as commercials go, and that song is catchy, but this one makes me seethe. I'm not sure who is more cynical here: me, for thinking that this kind of rah-rah flag waving and co-opting of feel good bullshit in pursuit of corporate profits is a perfect distillation of what America now stands for, or McDonald's for thinking they can sneak this by without getting slammed for it. The only few that struck me as genuine/smile-worthy/cool were the shots of the McDonalds that were open or would be open soon in the face of natural disasters, and the marriage, baby, and birthday ones. The rest were smarmy in the worst possible way, and the "Keep Jobs in Toledo" one was absolutely rageworthy. McDonald's: We absolutely support workers! Except our own when they call us out on our bullshit.

McDonald's has some pretty hilarious marketing disasters. The Arch Deluxe is ranked as one of the biggest marketing flops ever, and as soon as it launched I remember seeing ads and going "what the gently caress are they trying to sell? adult taste? what does that even mean?"

Then you get McDonald's pizza, an offering that required you to place an order, wait 11 minutes for it to cook, at a place where people want to get food and go in 3 minutes or less.

There was the classic 1984 Olympics offer, where McD's had to hand out insane amounts of free food when the USSR didn't compete.

The Monopoly disaster where it turned out that since starting the annual contest all the winning pieces were stolen and funneled to family and friends by the guy in charge of distributing them.

quote:

In 2000, the US promotion was halted after fraud was uncovered. A subcontracting company called Simon Marketing (a then-subsidiary of Cyrk), which had been hired by McDonald's to organize and promote the game, failed to recognize a flaw in its procedures. Chief of security Jerome P. Jacobson[2] was able to remove the most expensive game pieces, which he then passed to associates who would redeem them and share the proceeds. The associates won almost all of the top prizes between 1995 and 2000, including McDonald's giveaways that did not have the Monopoly theme. The associates netted over $24 million. While the fraud appeared to have been perpetrated by only one key employee of the promotion company, and not by the company's management, eight people were originally arrested, leading to a total of 21 indicted individuals.[3] The relationship between McDonald's and Simon Marketing broke down in a pair of lawsuits over breach of contract, eventually settled out of court, with McDonald's' claim being thrown out and Simon receiving $16.6 million.[4] Due to a constitutional violation, four of those convicted of the fraud were later released as they were not initially charged with the offense.[5]

In 1995, St. Jude Children's Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee received an anonymous letter postmarked Dallas, Texas, containing a $1 million winning game piece. Although game rules prohibited the transfer of prizes, McDonald's waived the rule and made its last $50,000 annual payment in 2014.[6] Investigations later indicated that Jacobson had admitted to sending the winning piece to the hospital

Either the McD's marketing department had huge turnovers or the idea guys making the new products refused to listen to market research.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sappo569 posted:

Hey McDonald's pizza was loving delicious

Just from seeing how industrialized and rote the pizza making technology today is for delivery, I imagine the McD's pizza was a precooked pizza circle they tossed sauce and cheese on. Given how hard it is to screw up pizza sauce (tomatoes, oil, some spices, not much else) and how good even cheap mozzarella is unless they engineered some weird super inexpensive cheese like how the made their McLean, it probably wouldn't taste bad. 11 minutes is like sit down restaurant time as far as the average McD consumer is concerned

I worked in a Sbarro's during college and it took us a minute or two to make a pizza from scratch. Once you have everything prepped you can make it in seconds and the cook time its the only hurdle, and for the pre-made pizza circles we had a huge stack of them in the fridge we just grabbed one, dropped the sauce down, cheese, and toppings in maybe 30 seconds.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

I remember that Dominos had to drop their "30 minutes or it's free!" promotion because their delivery boys were getting into wrecks.

It was hosed up because rather then simply write off missed deliveries as overhead they held each driver accountable for the cash value of the pizza. So of course you're going to speed 60 mph in a neighborhood to get there on time because otherwise your next paycheck is short $20-30, and that's every delivery you do. Imagine having to deliver 3-4 pizzas and the first person spends 2-3 minutes trying to find the correct change and now you're racing against the clock to make sure you'll get the last ones sent out, and then the 2nd to last guy tries to argue it's been 30 minutes when its only 22 and you can either let him take it and not pay and hope you make the 4th.

It works perfectly from a business management standpoint, but it completely fucks over the drivers forcing them to drive dangerously to get paid.

quote:

Starting in 1973, Domino's Pizza had a guarantee that customers would receive their pizzas within 30 minutes of placing an order or they would receive the pizzas free. The guarantee was reduced to $3 off in the mid 1980s. In 1992, the company settled a lawsuit brought by the family of an Indiana woman who had been killed by a Domino's delivery driver, paying the family $2.8 million. In another 1993 lawsuit, brought by a woman who was injured when a Domino's delivery driver ran a red light and collided with her vehicle, the woman was awarded nearly $80 million, but accepted a payout of $15 million.[59] The guarantee was dropped that same year because of the "public perception of reckless driving and irresponsibility", according to then-CEO Tom Monaghan

It took 20 years and was only dropped because Dominos suddenly realized it could be held liable from what drivers do in Domino's delivery cars.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Probably so they don't get complaints that they're marketing alcohol to minors.

The US is extremely puritanical about alcohol/tobacco and ads/promotions that can be seen as targeted to kids.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

There's context. Whereas Germany made holocaust denial illegal, in Japan denying or grossly downplaying the rape of Nanking isn't just common, it's official government policy. When a Japanese anime whitewashes the Japanese atrocity that Japan does its best to pretend never happened, it's part of that revisionist narrative.

It's just the sort of casual "this wasn't a big deal" thing that Japan is trying to burn into the public consciousness, and the hard right wing militarism is also a popular topic for anime and light novels, so even the otakus are buying into the "Japan did nothing wrong, we could've taken over the world if cowards didn't hold us back." After some serious controversy in the 90s that got international condemnation, Japan backed down, but recently the same mentality has resurged.

As voting apathy reaches new heights and the only ones voting are either 60+ longing for the good old days or younger hard right militants, the Japan political parties have to double down and support all the revisionist rhetoric and hard right groups because they're the only ones making noise.

It turns out when you're country has been drifting through an economic malaise for decades, your entire stagnant culture is steadfastly refusing change at any level to where your birthrate has dropped to a record low 1.4, alarming percentages of your younger generations don't even bother with marriage/families, all sorts of wackos can suddenly start throwing around serious political clout.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zero One posted:

Go daddy miscalculated how much people care about fictional TV puppies: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/01/godaddy-super-bowl-commercial-puppy

People really don't take kindly to seeing animals treated as disposable on tv.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This McD "Lovin" campaign has the chance to go down as one of their worst ideas yet. You'd think the first rule of making a ad campaign would be in no way shape or form mandate or encourage physical contact between employees and customers or encourage people to waste time. I fully expect to see YouTube videos of people just demanding to be allowed to pay for their meal rather then engage some "Lovin Lead" in whatever the theme of the day is.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Barudak posted:

tl;dr Millennials product desires did not align with previously established brands old brands did not realize this until Millennials were long gone at brands that came into existence to cater these desires.

If there's one thing I've learned about marketing to millennials its that they also instantly knew when they're being pandered to and despise it. These soups look like they were developed by a bunch of 50 year old marketing execs who learned everything they knew about millenials based on a series of powerpoint presentations from other 50 year old execs.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

canyoneer posted:

The whole "generation gap" handwringing is rubbish. Everyone 10-15 years printed media raises red alert that kids these days are selfish, fickle, and crappy and nobody has any idea how to encourage them to get a job or not spit in the house.

Part of the curriculum of a class I was in asked whether "millennial" employees are harder to manage.
22 year olds fresh out of school are idiots, and they have been idiots since the beginning of time. It maybe takes them 10 years to straighten up and fit into the mainstream, because then there are younger, dumber kids coming into the company and complaining about the "new generation" can start.

You read the articles about traits of millenials, and it reads like a horoscope where the reader can read anything they want out of it. I once read an article that described a group as "fickle and brand disloyal" while simultaneously talking about how they are all universally obsessed with Apple and Starbucks. :downs:

You're missing the point. The "millenial" generation has grown up in an era of unprecedented technological advances and the tried and true methods of marketing for the past 60 years are now completely useless. The people in charge, management and execs, are so far removed from the culture that they best they can do is just hopelessly mimic whatever "hip, young thing" is currently a media buzzword.

It's fairly true across the board, established industries like media and entertainment are rapidly falling behind the expectations of their target markets and clinging to decade old models to predict buying patterns and target marketing campaigns.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Last Chance posted:

that mcdonalds thing... I saw it pop up on my Facebook Feed. I hope this doesn't mean it's going to be successful.

I wonder if all the "Lovin Managers" are female, because a greasy 38 year old dude telling a high school girl she has to hug him for free food is a sexual harassment suit waiting to happen.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Does Taco Bell have a second demographic?

The people living off Taco Bell are the 16-30 crowd who just eat fast food everyday and don't care, and Taco Bell is probably preferred because all the other places are closed. To them a Doritos taco is just the best of both worlds.

I remember the day when some friends of mind quit eating Taco Bell after eating there literally 4 times in one day and suddenly realized that 4th meal did not mean your 4th fake Mexican meal of the day and they didn't want to walk up 5 years down the line obese, diabetic, and full of shame and disgust.

Also, this millennial insanity thing went on way too long when it basically sums up to "people raised on the internet buy things differently" and the people making said campaigns just google tumblr and instagram and assume those are representative of the demographic.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

While it works / doesn't work to varying degrees for me and mine in general, the one way to piss everyone I know off is to play the "if you don't like it, you're not among the elite" card. Hennessy ran an ad some years back that all but said "your palate isn't refined if you don't like the VO cognac we're shilling". Hennessy VO tastes like diluted battery acid to me (their VSOP tastes slightly more of something non-toxic, but still rear end), and I like cognac, so that one put me off the brand permanently.

That seems to be more and more common, companies trying to objectively assert their mediocre brand is clearly superior and haters gonna hate.

Rather then "Our new trucks passed the 5 star safety test with flying colors" now its "Buy our new trucks because you're a man and can buy what you want"

One company that does weird commercials that works in Sonic, because the advertising well outside their restaurants radius and so if don't live near a Sonic and keep seeing Sonic commercials it becomes "holy gently caress I want to eat at Sonic at least once to see the deal"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Barudak posted:

So for everyone curious why Spotify ad targeting sucks its because Spotify wont let it be good. No, seriously, when you negotiate a deal with them they wont let you have any data about who it ran against and don't allow retargeting so when you buy Spotify ads your limited to a hope and a prayer that it targets who your trying to reach. The reason you primarily only hear ads for pop and other general market stuff is because those are the only people comfortable with leaving Spotify in charge and having little data to back it up.

That's hilarious, because the biggest part of Netflix securing licensing and deals is them taking the consumer data to the media companies and breaking down the data into every viable metric for targeted marketing from the media companies. It's one of the reasons they've managed to rise to the top so quickly.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

I remember there was some people pissed about this one since fear of Y2K was actually a thing for a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhF7dQl4Ico

No joke tons of people were losing their minds over Y2K and the instant the clocks turned over the news were interviewing Australians about whether or not their computers went down. People were being interviewed for their disaster prep extremes and treated like rational sane people rather then the nuts that they were.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ego-bot posted:

I'm sure we all remember this series of ads that Sony used to market the PlayStation 3. They seemed like they were successful, and just about all of them were funny. Kevin Butler seemed like a pretty normal dude, and that was part of the charm. You didn't feel like you were being pandered to.

Then the PSP came out and I guess Sony needed a separate spokesperson for that. So they came up with Marcus.

"A small child that talks down to and makes fun of our customer base. Everyone will love that!"

It's like the marketing department thought that their own version of Poochie would be a great idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ6Ov9Z9Rt0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIS6_Jnl8OM

The entire PSP marketing campaign seemed like it was some 26 year old upper class freshly graduated Harvard mba's idea on avant-garde marketing and would be a landmark in the history of advertising.

There are always unintentional racist ads but this was just so blatant I can't believe that it actually went through the entire process without someone raising a red flag.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

That's not a real ad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

The funny part is that one store did accept it

It's one of those things where its easier to just list the sale as a special coupon and charge the list price and then call corporate/franchise owner and ask rather then argue with a customer. If there's a horde of people trying to use it then that's when you refuse to accept it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

From what I read, he was no longer working with Sony prior to doing the Bridgestone advert. Still, could have been in his contract not to appear playing a competitor's games in such and such span of time.

Okay, you're still missing the part where this is not a goddamn trademark issue.

quote:

On September 11, 2012, Sony sued Lambert for "trademark infringement" due to his appearance in a Bridgestone commercial that featured the Wii as part of a sales promotion. They settled four months later, with Lambert agreeing not to appear in video game advertisements for two years.

Whether or not Sony would've won isn't the point, they made it a trademark issue and that's what it was.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bobjr posted:

Probably inspired by the 30 minutes or less thing Pizza delivery did before, thinking people would want their food fast and not expect people to be pedantic about time. Of course that stopped when pizza delivery people were getting in crashes desperately trying to make time and pizza companies being liable for the accidents. I forget if that was already talked about in this thread or not but I've seen it discussed in one thread in PYF.

There was this weird pseudo arms race between the pizza delivery companies and the 30 mins thing was supposed to be the silver bullet. The pizza companies started getting sued into oblivion by victims of car wrecks caused by pizza delivery drivers and suddenly someone in legal realized that by making drivers financially liable for any late delivery they created an atmosphere where the employees were essentially forced to break traffic laws constantly in order to get paid and the company as a whole could be held accountable for that one guy in Ohio who hit and run a small child on his delivery route.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Was this a Xbone-Kinect thing?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The poo poo with the Germanwings crash is completely unprecedented in the history of aviation and will lead to vast, sweeping changes in the industry but even the most banal of ads could be construed as bad in the shadow of what happened.

In 50 years what happened with Andreas Lubitz will still be a case study in best practices and safeguards for situations where a single person can take over and kill dozens of people they have power/control over. I am almost certain that every airline that exists will establish policies so it's impossible for a similar situation to ever occur again.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Depressingly, none of them were "white" people, which is what gets the headlines.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Barudak posted:

So remember how Pizza Hut unveiled a bunch of new flavors like Sriracha* and such and encouraged you to try it you adventurous flavor tryer millennial you? Yeah sales went down 3.5% over the quarter and management is backpedaling real hard with choice quotes like "customers will love it, they just haven't tried it yet" while attempting to assuage a deluge of franchisee complaints.

*gently caress the marketer concept of a sriracha

Pizza Hut hired some youtube celebs to "design" some signature pizzas. The entire thing was the brainchild of a marketing exec who probably went "Well, the internet is a big deal, how can we use that to make more money?"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

It's always most telling abouut brand name vs generic when there's a recall. Like I remember a few years back when there was a peanut butter recall, and it was both skippy and the store brand.

When it comes to cereal, a little while back buzzfeed did a (very unscientific) taste test between the name brands and generics. It depended on the cereal for which was better. I actually like the cheap version of lucky charms more than Big G's, for example.

There's only one product that I've ever noticed a major difference in flavor between brand and generic, and that's Bisquick. I've tried the cheaper instant pancake mixes and for some reason they taste noticeably worse to me then Bisquick. As far as cereal goes, its so much sugar that even the cheapest bulk bags are probably going to taste the exact same. There was a Lucky Charms rip-off called Wizards Munch or something that I preferred because the bag had a lower proportion of marshmallows to cereal which I liked more then a mouthful of pure sugar in every bite.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
A lot of generic brands even have on the label "Same ingredients as Brand X" especially for things like medicines.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Something tells me that even history education won't stop assholes from wanting to classify anyone who doesn't align with their perception of normal functioning with a brush of their choosing. Seriously even though it's far better than it used to be even 20-30 years ago we're going to look back on this period of history and be aghast at how blatantly incompetent mental healthcare is in our society.

It's been that way every decade and will probably continue for another century or 2.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

From the ads, it looks like a badly done minotaur and a blonde woman wearing an evening gown going off to fight it.

Maybe a prom dress. It is pretty low cut for max cleavage.

Me, I love the laser hair removal ads. It always starts with someone saying how super busy they are and who has TIME to shave their legs, right ladies? So get LASER HAIR REMOVAL and throw away all your razors and never shave again and save time! Oh BTW you have to go to multiple sessions to see results and then keep coming back so you really don't save any time at all.

Wait, laser hair removal doesn't work?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

jadebullet posted:

So speaking of horrible marketing decisions, within two days every Hess gas station has become a Speedway gas station due to the company being purchased.

For those who don't know, Hess was a big gas station chain in the Pennsylvania area that was pretty famous for their toy Hess trucks that they would release at Christmas time. They were major collectors items and they actually released a limited run 50th anniversary collectors truck this year.

Not anymore though. Speedway bought them, and immediately changed every station from green to red and changed all of the signs. People where I live are pretty pissed an are actively avoiding the Speedways. Oh and several stations fired all of their Hess employees and made them reapply for their old job.

Edit: apparently I was wrong and the Hess trucks will still be sold online only. The new company rebranding and not doing any sort of tie in with the established toys seems like a poor marketing decision to me though.

It seems like one of those corporate ego things. "Burn down the old and mark it with our brand" isn't that uncommon. Some companies are just petty as poo poo and would rather slash and burn then just let an acquisition operate under its own name and all that changes is the management structure.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Radio Help posted:

I think that question can be easily answered without millions of dollars in demographics research, but the answer is just as oblique as the question: "don't feed us obvious poison, don't pander to us, and PS we know enough about marketing to know that you're bad at your job." It's really hard to effectively use psychological sleight of hand in ads when you've been using that style since before most millennials were born. But then again I lionize the bygone days when you could just show a picture of a thing with "IT'S GOOD!" in huge lettering underneath it and call it a day.

On the other hand it has given some of the most hilarious marketing failures in decades along with an entire genre of viral fads that are completely meaningless but that millennials become obsessed about (Kony 2012 for example).

The Campbells soup campaign was essentially the best example of what ad execs and marketing "experts" think about the youngest generations. A bunch of hip quirky buzzwords, indie sounding quotes, and people taking selfies and making duck lips is enough to capture that market.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Turfahurf posted:

I'm honestly kind of confused why big companies are so bad at advertising to millennials since I'm one of them (born 1990) and going into graphic design and advertising was a really popular choice when I went to college (it's what I went for and there were a lot of us). They should have a huge pool of actual millennials to pull from to make ads catering to their own generation, but they still manage to gently caress it up most of the time.

In 40 years if marketing still exist as it does today (maybe because a few people will manage to figure out how to redefine the concept in the age of information) the last decade or so of ads and marketing will be held up as testaments to a dying empire oblivious to its own failings and marching steadfastly towards a cliff.

As with most major aspects of business, it doesn't matter how many young people they hire the ones in power are old,entrenched, incapable of shifting to rapidly changing market environments, and simply latch on to the newest "hot thing" without any idea of what, why, or how, simply hoping it'll make money. Video games are a good example, many big name companies started dumping money into MMOs and "freemium" games because they saw the success of things like WoW and Farmville and simply assumed "oh, all we need is to drop 10-20 million in this and we'll make out like bandits!" and completely failed to understand that those games were the exception not the rule. SquareEnix had one of its best years in 2013/14 yet posted losses (due to other reasons) and blamed their consoles games for "under-performing" despite them all being massive successes and making a shitton of money.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Toast Museum posted:

Does Spartacus shoot up in quality after the first season or something? I watched the first six or eight episodes and just could not get into it.

Yes, by a long shot.

After the slave revolt starts you get a ton of action and fights in every single episode.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I remember the GBS thread when the new hip Pizza Hut launched. It was mind-bogglingly stupid and about as blatantly pandering as you could get. They even had youtube "superstars" design some signature pizzas to draw in the internet crowd.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The idea of millennial and the difficulty in advertising has come up a few times, but what it always boils down to is the people making the big business decisions are so far removed from the culture and understanding that even the "young hip people" that work for them just push the broadest most media heavy thing possible and no one in power really knows what will or will not work.

Pizza Hut really dropped the ball, hard, and there are plenty of examples in the last 5 years of very similar strategies being tried and failing, but no one is seriously trying to understand what is going on and why the previous 50-75 years of marketing research is no longer valid. I can just imagine the youngish ad guys pitching their "gourmet ingredients! sauce drizzles! hit that crust edge with a BLAST OF FLAVOR! YOUTUBE CELEBS MAKING THEIR SIGNATURE PIZZAS!" and everyone over the age of 40 just nods and agrees because it sounds exactly like what everyone thinks millennials want.

Even banks have this problem. There's this huge push to making everything online, swipe your card or even your phone to pay (the idea of convenience is a huge draw, but security is a massive problem), but some young people and even older tech people hate it. My dad gets seriously pissed of when he gets repeatedly asked about switching to online banking he'll snap and start talking louder and louder berating the clerk and rattling off various types of security encryption that the bank doesn't use and how insisting that he should manage his accounts solely online is borderline negligent given how many massive data breaches occur each year. Usually a manager will rush over and take over to complete the transaction and not try to push any of their new products/services.

Last time I went into a bank and had to sit down with a clerk to get a new debit card he tried to sell me on BoA's #1 rated IT security and I just mentioned how my Diablo 3 account was more secure then my online bank accounts and why can't I sign up for a authenticator for my online banking services.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Karma Monkey posted:

Are Millennials really so much of a cipher? It seems like marketing to poor young-ish people would be simpler. Or if they can't crack the Millennials code, wouldn't it just make more sense to market to people who do have money? It seems like whatever the advertising model was that used to work no longer works and isn't ever going to work again, so why keeping spinning your wheels on it?

Yes. Everyone has been following the same decade old trends that every generation is better off then the last and wealthier then their parents. Not only that but the rise of the internet, especially with the advent of smarthphones means that it takes someone 15 seconds to find if there is a cheaper option elsewhere close by.

Case in point, Wegman's opened up a store close to brand new expensive rear end suburbs, but 6 months later the vast majority of people shopping there weren't hemp shirt hippies all about fair trade conflict free and dyanmic 20-30s with high profile jobs, it was the established locals and families from the "cheaper" areas who actually have disposable cash and like the idea of being able to go and get top tier premium ingredients they'd normally need to drive hours away to find.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Strauss and Howe came to this conclusion back in 1999 and nobody's following their advice yet, despite their statuses as the preeminent scholars in generational study. It's all just "GOTTA GET THEM MILLENNIAL DOLLARS" without understanding that marketing strategies targeting people born in '86 and people born in '96 shouldn't be identical.

By the most conservative estimate, millennials include anyone born from 1975-2000, and anyone with the slightest awareness of culture can point out 3-4 insanely distinct periods of time that would drastically alter buying habits.

Ignite Memories posted:

Seriously. Marketers don't like talking about it, but Millenials are loving broke and saddled with huge amounts of debt. Maybe Gen Y'ers want expensive organic artisanal ingredients and poo poo, but Millenials just want more pizza than the other guy will give them for the same price.

There's also probably a ton of push-back from companies who refuse to try for a "value" approach for their "esteemed" brands. No one wants to be in what they think is a race to the bottom when no one can prove 100% that it will succeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Huntersoninski posted:

Your dad sounds like a bully.

He'll politely decline 2-3 times before getting really mad, but he's one of those people who's worked in computer security and IT since the 70s and kept up to date with the new technology and gets irrationally annoyed with the current system of everyone pushing towards convenient as possible tie everything to your phone. It's definitely old man irritation sometimes because while waiting in line listening to some guy loudly talk about how tech-savvy he was for loving ever he just turned and started engaging the guy in conversation, but it was "Oh, that's interesting, what code language do you use? What XXX (tech stuff I don't know/remember)" and ended with "So, you've just got a fancy phone and you know how to press the screen? Okay, nevermind"

The problem is a lot of companies make their wage employees push their services on customers aggressively otherwise they face penalties. Best Buy has been outed pretty regularly as cutting employees hours and tying raises to them selling enough warranties.

Do you seriously have no problem with repeatedly getting asked "hey, sign up for this new service, here are all the details" over and over while trying to complete a 30 sec transaction? When Panera launched their MyPanera card the inital push to sign people up was really aggressive to the point of them almost stopping the transaction to try and convince you to sign up. I walked out after the third I said no and the cashier kept at it. A couple months later it seems like they realized the problem and the interaction was "do you have a MyPanera card? Would you like one?" and then finish the sale.

edit: Most of the contempt towards the smartphone generation is mostly because he works in the defense industry on projects with high level security clearances and every year there are 1-2 new hires who try to sneak their phones into restricted areas because they don't want to be without it for the duration of the workday. Then said person is immediately fired and whatever project they were on is now down a person and its unlikely they will be replaced.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Jun 20, 2015