Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

walrusman posted:

That's called the Pepsi Challenge, and it's been Pepsi's dominant marketing thrust since the Nixon administration.
I don't think it's supposed to be to distinguish between pepsi and coke, though, since such a distinction isn't difficult. It's to get people to say that they prefer cup B, which turns out to be pepsi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

I still don't get what it means. This is worse than cow tools.
The cremation services one? It means "people get older. even cute kids."

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Well, a few unnecessary abortions happened because tests for birth defects came back as false positives. But you know, whatever.
Do you have a citation for this? The only thing I can find is the other way around, with women given understated estimates of the risk of down's syndrome.

edit: Hell, there was another page. Well.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

HFCS has a poo poo load of fructose, hence the name, which can taste weird because it's heavily processed into a combination that doesn't happen in nature.
Specifically, sugar is made up of 50/50 glucose and fructose, while HFCS is, depending on blend, either 55/42 or 42/53 fructose/glucose.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
It does seem like an odd kind of phenomenon, where everyone clearly knows that whatever nasty interpretation is not the intended meaning of an ad campaign, but still work themselves into a tizzy because what if it were.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

discuss how dumb it is to make a campaign that can come across with a negative message.
That's kind of my point, though, isn't it? That it doesn't actually "come across" that way to anyone, it's just people coming up with alternate interpretations that they know are not the ones intended?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

cheerfullydrab posted:

Does anyone have an opinion as to why McDonalds is doing so bad?
????

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Things Only White People Can Buy for $500, Alex.
How much do non-white people have to pay?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

There's no coca in coke nowadays. Hasn't been for twenty years or so.
It looks like they still use a processed, cocaine-free extract of the coca leaf.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Len posted:

I love the millenial to snake people plugin so much. It even works on Netflix subtitles it turns out.
The primary purpose of these plugins appears to be posting about how you have them any time someone mentions the string to be replaced.

I don't mean to call you out specifically, but it does begin to grate.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
I think you'll find that businesses always allocate money efficiently, so this clearly represents millions of dollars' worth of genuine labor.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Sleeveless posted:

You joke but people are still circulating it years later and it made people aware of the fact that Pepsi had a new logo so it was effective as a piece of marketing. I honestly wouldn't be surprise if the whole thing was manufactured, or at the very least incredibly tongue-in-cheek, because they knew they could "leak" it and everybody would circulate it so they could chortle at how dumb marketers are while also doing exactly what the marketers wanted them to do.
I don't know, personally I became aware of the fact that Pepsi had a new logo when I walked through the grocery store and saw that Pepsi had a new logo.

Seeing the design document later was just a "what the hell" reaction.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's not real. It's obviously not advocating coprophilia. Jesus christ.
It is, but only for unicorn poop.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
We must secure the existence of great deals, and a future for quality products.

edit: This isn't nearly as good at the top of a new page. :(

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Grem posted:

The kicker for me is the old couple in front of their mansion with their four expensive rear end cars clinging to each other at the horror of higher taxes! They literally could not have picked a less sympathetic stereotype to choose.
That and the fact that they're described as the "super-rich" makes me feel like it's all a bizarre fakeout.

I mean, really, "Wall Street, Big Business (as opposed to small business), and the super-rich" are basically precisely the groups that people don't mind taxing.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 09:33 on Jan 26, 2016

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Lagomorphic posted:

Most people don't parse lyrics beyond just getting the jist of the chorus and ad people know this.
Yeah. It's all about the 'feel' of the song - nobody cares about the meaning of the lyrics outside of the few people laughing about how the ad for baby wipes has a song about cocaine.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

FutonForensic posted:

Is this a thing
In an infinite universe, everything not impossible is true.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Nitrox posted:

Many months from now, you'll have zero or barely any recollection of that monkey baby bullshit. But when presented with a row of unknown drinks on the shelf, the one depicted in the commercial, will give you a vague feeling of familiarity. You won't know where, how or why. But the chance of you picking it out of the bunch is undeniably huge.
This would be more credible if it were supported with evidence.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

TheKennedys posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like YouTube Red is either a really clever name choice or a really hilariously bad one. Nobody familiar with RedTube isn't going to make that connection.
It's an odd choice to begin with. "Red" isn't really associated with the premium or otherwise better version of something, as for example "gold" would be.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Violet_Sky posted:

Red Robin promotes their new Garden Burger. In doing so, they call vegetarians "teenage girls who are going through a phase" :thumbsup:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/17/red-robin-garden-burger_n_3455739.html
Hah. I don't know, people are too thin-skinned about this stuff. I'm a vegetarian, and I recognize that it's just a silly little joke.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Also, talcum powder causing cancer.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Hirayuki posted:

This is true. I've been seeing a lot more articles about fast-food places eschewing antibiotics, artificial additives, and preservatives in their food, and it seems to start with McDonald's and ripple outward through the industry. It's definitely a positive.
The antibiotics thing is a positive change, even if people's motivations there have nothing to do with the real reason loading up everything with antibiotics is bad. But the new panic about additives, preservatives, and GMOs is basically superstition.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

haahahahaha we havent changed at all!
We really haven't.

quote:

II.4.1 (bar; left of the door, near a picture of Mercury); 8475: Palmyra, the thirst-quencher

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Aug 13, 2016

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

I suspect "cuck" has been an insult to men as long as men have walked the Earth and felt that women were property.
I don't think "fear of losing one's spouse to someone else" really requires that you think of them as property.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Trebek posted:

He only had about 20 minutes air time to explain that DeBeers created the idea of the engagement ring to sell engagement rings. Not sure he could have delved into blood diamond 101.
That's pretty impressive on their part, considering that the engagement ring dates back at least to Roman times.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
It's like falling unconscious, or falling ill.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Made with real mustard, whole peppers, bay leaves, and goop.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Slime posted:

Organisations like Greenpeace are a Dumb Move in Marketing because the stupid poo poo they do makes me a little more against the good parts of their message because it becomes associated with that stuff. They make me want more nukes, and also to kill whales with them. Nuke the Whales.
I apparently gave money to calpirg about a decade ago, and ever since then they've periodically sent someone out to bug me for additional support on topics that 80% of the time are complete insanity. Most recently they wanted to ban Roundup, i.e., glyphosate, i.e., one of the lowest-toxicity-to-humans and shortest-half-life-in-soil herbicides we possess. When I mentioned these characteristics, the lady seeking donations said that the data showing that was faked.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Let's pay Elon Musk to shoot it into yonder sun.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
What's the ocean ever done for us?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

CommonShore posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/spirit-halloween-indigenous-costumes-culture-winnipeg-1.3811089

A seasonal costume company makes really racist costumes and then insists that they're not racist.
What does racist even mean in this context.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm dumb, I don't get it
People don't like jokes about WWI, due to the fact that it killed a large number of people.

(I assume it's the problem you're not getting, since the joke is pretty obvious.)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Like blackface, redface, etc. Dressing up as an offensive caricature of another race or culture. SUPER popular even in tyool 2016.
What makes those costumes offensive, other than not being historically accurate?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Slime posted:

Because the point of them is "lol minorities"
In other words, nothing. It's offensive and racist merely because it depicts another culture at all - after all, you could speak that exact criticism regardless of its design.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

InediblePenguin posted:

this just in: French is just English that's been misspelled
French has been confirmed as the most pretentious language, just edging out Italian and, surprisingly, Khwe.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Phanatic posted:

It...pretty much is.
There's a lot of people being snippy - I just wanted to say that I appreciated the substantive post.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
The least godawful is the one that just directly apes Trump's slogan. :dawkins101:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Phanatic posted:

They're almost certainly related to the person they're loving. The app is to make sure they're not first cousins.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/iceland-incest-app
Yeah, everybody's related to everybody anyway, it's just a question of degree.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

I feel like it's completely legit to get upset about treating a piece of art with a serious message as nothing more that an advertising basis for your throwaway trend.
I felt the same way when someone made fun of the Hunger Games.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
It's like government. Not having one is bad, but that doesn't mean the one you have is always good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

SkunkDuster posted:

Can anybody play devil's advocate here and tell me what they were going for?
New you. Commercial had women turning into other women.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 03:19 on Oct 10, 2017