Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

SpacePig posted:

I know this is from a month ago now, but this was a really fascinating read. I can't believe how obvious they'd gotten with their poo poo by the end.

I think the "hey, in the U.S., they change Facebook, people bitch, then accept it, so he thought it would work in India, too" point hit the nail on the head.

It's sad that after not achieving total digital domination of a country of a billion+ people on his first try, rather than settle for something like a charity project to help the millions without Internet access get online, he just packed his toys up and went to China. I'd call him a turd, but he's currently pissing off the GOP mad style over something so ridiculously stupid that it's nearly unbelievable, so I'll cut him some slack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

Thinking about it, from a marketing perspective, that might actually not be a bad way of selling off the perishables that are a few days from their sell by date.

We did this once in a while at the price premium grocer I used to work at. Stew meat that's a few days from its sell-by date, slightly wilted celery, dicey-looking carrots, etc. all in one bag, sold as a beef stew kit. Our store wouldn't allow bruised/wilted/iffy veggies on the shelves, so we were able to sell them for pennies per pound, and the meat would be marked down by 50% two days before we threw it out, so we were able to sell whole meals for next to nothing. It was pretty neat, and I wish more stores would do stuff like that rather than just throw away perfectly good fresh food just because it's bruised or wilted or whatever.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Rigged Death Trap posted:

In fact ,objectively, the best earbuds you can get under 20-30 bucks are JVC Gumys/marshmallows.

Gumy is absurdly good for something you can dig out of a bin at a discount store.

Sony's "under ten bucks" price point earbuds are good for the value, too, if you need something non-noise-cancelling.

Sure, that poo poo is about as durable as an ice sculpture, but if you work in a studio where other people are always borrowing your stuff, being able to toss a pair of $6.99 earbuds is way better than starting your shift staring at a broken pair of $250 studio headphones with a Wendy's gift card and an "I'm sorry" note taped to them.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This is so specific it has to have really happened.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, and how many Frosty's were you able to buy for those headphones?

It did happen, and I blame myself more than I do the person who actually broke 'em. I'd had numerous crash-course lessons in "don't bring your good gear to work" before that, and still thought for sure that nobody would touch my "good" headphones.

I bought no Frostys with the gift card, and instead offered it to my neighbor's son (with his parents' permission) in exchange for taking care of my fish while I was on vacation.

That little fucker must've been the Frosty King while I was away, and the pain of seeing those broken headphones lessens every time I think of him erupting from the back seat of the family sedan at the drive-thru, poking his parents with the card, offering to buy his sister and him delicious treats :sun:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

I got my first mysterious bobcat in a box item!

That looks an awful lot like something printed by a laser printer with SUPER TONER SAVER set to "so fuckin' on it hurts."

Please continue posting your sweet loot hauls, Bobcat poo poo In A Box fans :toot:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cakefool posted:

Somebody write an app that downloads a random pic off Wikipedia every day and sends it to your printer and sends me a dollar at the same time please thanks.

This...actually isn't a terrible idea. It would probably fly if you didn't reveal the source of the "random" images and only charged a quarter for each one. Maybe set it up to only shoot one a day to the printer and only during times when there isn't any other network activity. And definitely let it scan for unsecured networks and/or unsecured WiFi printers.

Give it a lovely Web 2.0 name like "so.randm" and watch the quarters fly in :coal:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

I feel like early in this thread someone said that it was, but a cursory google search suggests that, at least in the U.S., the freedom to use obnoxious and potentially endangering sound effects for an advertisement is protected as if the commercial were a work of art, immune to censorship.

The First Amendment does protect broadcast radio advertising, so the federal government is understandably hesitant to try to prevent sirens, car crashes, etc. from being used.

I can't remember any specific ones off the top of my head, but IIRC some more local jurisdictions have said "gently caress that, this is dangerous" and legislated against them anyway.

The radio group I used to work at was approached at one point by the city council in a pretty informal way and asked to cut stuff like that out, out of concern for area residents freaking out at the sound of screeching tires and then having accidents themselves (the real reason, of course, is "that poo poo is obnoxious as gently caress," but they had to have a more defensible justification for asking us to quit it). We agreed to comply, and everyone was happy...

...until we realized we had PSAs from the NHTSA themselves featuring screeching tires, car crashes, sirens, crying children, and crash victims saying "...help...meee..."

You can tell a client "Sorry, we can't put a siren in your ad for used furniture," but there's not a lot you can do about a PSA from the federal government.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sort of. If memory serves you can't legally say "gently caress" on the radio to this day. Traditional, terrestrial radio, anyway; anything publicly broadcast that can be picked up free can have limits put on it by the FCC. They could very easily say "no more [censored] sirens and crashes on the radio, OK?" but haven't. I think part of it is because terrestrial radio is dying so nobody cares enough.
Though the first amendment goes very far the Supreme Court actually ruled that you can regulate what is broadcast publicly.

After I posted that, I thought "man, I should've been more specific." Sorry. The First Amendment only protects ads in terrestrial AM/FM broadcasts insofar as you don't say anything indecent or profane outside the "Safe Harbor" established in FCC v. Pacifica (10:00 PM to 6:00 AM).

Technically, you can get on the mic then and go nuts (and I'm sure some stations do), but the vast majority of radio stations have voluntarily elected to nix the indecency and profanity completely, because it's hard to fill ad slots from 10-6 if the client knows their stuff will be alongside cursing or a raunchy call-in show. Obscenity, however, is not protected speech in a broadcast at any time, so we don't dare cross that line. The differences between obscenity, profanity, and indecency are a bit muddy sometimes, but to give you an idea, reading tentacle rape fan fiction on the air would be obscenity.

The FCC can certainly regulate broadcasts (after all, that's part of its job), but when it comes to First Amendment stuff, they tend to put their hands up and back away slowly (that's probably why there are still bleeping sirens and crashes on the bleeping radio). Hell, I don't even think there's a list on paper saying exactly which words you can broadcast and which you can't, but we do know that when kids could be listening, anything on George Carlin's list of dirty words is verboten, as well as anything sexually explicit. Justice Potter did us such a favor when he said "I know it when I see it."

I hated that loving thing so much. It started with a couple talking, then the husband gets distracted, wife screams "WATCH OUT," then loud car horns, tires screeching, and a ridiculous car crash mixed in stereo. Then, the wife moans "help...me," and a VO starts about distracted driving. I told my ops manager that it would be a shame if we lost it somehow, and well gosh, it vanished. I guess the new guy must've moved it somewhere?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

walrusman posted:

Good lord, wait til you do. Within days of registering an LLC - which is a painless process with very low barriers to entry - I was up to my tits in office supply catalogs, warehousing supply catalogs, promotional material catalogs (and free samples, :woop: ), credit card and loan offers, business internet fliers, and god knows what else. Companies probably spent more money than I billed in the first six months, just to send me catalogs. It's tapered off a little after the first year, but I still check the mail sometimes to find a big awkward envelope full of sample lanyards and pens. Oh and Comcast sends me 2-3 things a week, but they're just postcards so they're easy to ignore.

We founded our (very small) business back in '07 and I still get daily calls offering us business loans. As far as mailings, Comcast is the most relentless, sending multiple letters per week about their business-tier Internet packages. I RTSed them for a while, but they just kept coming, so I started using them for scratch paper :laugh:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Mu Zeta posted:

Youtube Red is a monthly subscription service

- No ads on Youtube
- Exclusive Youtube shows from the likes of Pewdiepie and whatever
- You also get access to Google Music without ads.

Wow, all of this for just ten bucks a month? You mean I can avoid seeing ads, watch a child scream rape jokes into a scarecam, and listen to music, all for ten bucks a month? Holy poo poo, sign me the gently caress up! There's no way to do all of those things for free or anything

All they had to do is charge half that much, change that dumbass name, and put a little symbol next to paying subscribers' usernames in comments sections on videos so they knew they were better than everyone else. They'd need several Scrooge McDuck vaults to hold all the money they'd rake in.

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 19:59 on Sep 27, 2016

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Lady Demelza posted:

This is the exact reason my mother refuses to download anything, at all, ever. Being an honest soul, she asks me to buy her music online from a 'legal site' then email it to her.

I haven't the heart to tell her that her cunning plan to acquire legally paid-for music is technically illegal.

poo poo, I just assumed we all did this.

"Hey Fai I heard this song it goes 'ooh baby I love you baby' or something, and I don't know who it's by. Can you buy it from a website and burn it to a CD for me and drop it in the mail"

Won't download music, but she'll blindly click any goddamn link she gets via facebook or email.

"I'll burn it and bring it over when I come do your weekly computer scrubbing, mom."

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think I mentioned it already in this thread but an earlier Popeye's ad with a bunch of people eating fried chicken in a nightclub was specifically reshot to add some more white faces.

At least they didn't try to composite them like people do with billboards when they get called out on racism. "gently caress! Tony, fire up photoshop and put some black people in this ASAP!"

*does a GIS for "black people"*

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

jojoinnit posted:

It doesn't need to have any actual connection with him. I snapped this on the street a couple months back:

If I were Obama, I would totally sign off on this.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

food court bailiff posted:

gosh guys, this sure is really dumb marketing that we've been talking about and reposting for a page and a half, lol, do they realize how dumb they look right now? hahaha what a mistake, amirite?!

The puppetmaster defense, but for advertising

"Hahaha I made this ad bad intentionally, you idiots, and now you're talking about it! No way I hosed up a joke and accidentally did something offensive or anything!"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Jaguars! posted:

What are some ads that actively drove consumers away the product? On a personal level, I can think of two ads that caused me to switch away to another brand, although they were both for successful products.

I'm not usually one to be all "I'M BOYCOTTING YOUR PRODUCTS!!1" because of advertising, but I watched that goddamn Nature Valley ad where the child actors say they spend hours a day sending emails and it makes the adults sad and it wholesale turned me off their entire brand.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Keystoned posted:

Nah. Hy vee now does online ordering and free delivery if you order over $100. Same price as in store but you dont have to go walk around for an hour. Its loving great.

Also if you order <100 you can go pick it up for free. They have someone gather and bag your order and bring it out to your car.

THIS IS THE FUTURE I WAS PROMISED!

Hy-Vee's home delivery was the best service we offered that nobody knew about. Call in with a vague-as-hell order that includes beer, food from the buffet and salad bar, and kitty litter, and that poo poo would be on your doorstep in less than an hour. How we weren't drowning in delivery orders every day I have no idea.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
How could you not think home delivery is great

You just call and say:

"Hey I need some cumin, a single stalk of celery, 2.25 lbs of boneless and skinless chicken breast, some chocolate ice cream, a can of stewed tomatoes, a box of Frosted Flakes, a dozen eggs, a gallon of milk, a six-pack of PBR, a pound of roasted turkey from the deli, a #3 from the Chinese menu, and a garden salad from the salad bar with no croutons please"

and they're all:

"no problem sir we will have that to you shortly"

In what universe is this an undesirable situation

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

CommonShore posted:

I realized just last night that there are tons of little skills that I gained as a kid and which seem simple and normal to people who have them but which, in fact, are not universal. Have you ever made a pie crust in front of someone from a family who didn't bake? They'll basically dive over the couch for cover and peek up slowly like :dogbutton:

Other such skills/activities include operating a needle and thread, unclogging a drain, changing a fuse or oil in your car, operating a power saw or drill, sitting and reading quietly, removing spyware from your computer, or connecting tv/stereo equipment. For those of us who were around these kinds of activities as a matter of course as kids, with no big production, we'll just loving do them even if we're not great at them, because they're basic normal people skills. Households which didn't provide these examples produce people who see them as weird or difficult. Consider that the most difficult task on my list is not much different from cleaning a sink, but here we are, paying $50 for someone else to do it (and I pay for it too, but because of warranty).

You pay $50 to have someone sit and read quietly for you? You're getting screwed. My guy only charges $25 an hour.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Why footage of Norway? I can only guess, either as they had no other programming to replace it with, or because they have a policy not to misinform audiences about their scheduled programing, or as a pure PR move as to say 'We are completely against this type of violence and content, that we are going out of our way to instead broadcast the exact opposite of it in every way'.

Lots of TV stations have "play this in case of emergency" content. It's chosen specifically to be as inoffensive as possible so it could be used for just about any problem at the last minute, from "poo poo the system with our digital content crashed" to "there was a heinous axe murder irl for the love of god don't let that episode air." At the last station I worked at, our emergency tape was about an hour of stationary camera footage in the woods set to soft acoustic guitar.

I'm imagining a freaked out higher-up calling the station, screaming "DON'T PLAY THAT EPISODE THAT'S ABOUT TO AIR" and the underpaid operator shrugging and popping in the Nice Boat tape.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Pastry of the Year posted:

I always wondered who was buying these

it's actually profoundly lonely people

Nice train.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

quote:

the USDA says they've never heard of anyone trying to pass pork bung as squid

quote:

In the end, Calboun was unable to find anyone who would admit to any knowledge of pork rectum being passed off as calamari

"SQUID OR rear end in a top hat?"

The answer is squid you dumb fucks because that's obviously an urban legend

I loving hate contemporary journalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Pastry of the Year posted:

As long as we're putting urban legends to rest, is the person in your avatar weeping with high-set closed eyes, or raising her eyebrows over very tall eyes

Princess Tippi is indeed raising her eyebrows over tall, narrow eyes.

(Ribbit King is an awesome game and everyone should play it)