Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Stokes posted:

I'm not going to pretend to know exactly how Punk is going about training, or exactly how prepared he is/is going to be, but I'd like to think that Dana and Lorenzo have learned from the James Toney situation. I'm sure part of the reason they signed him was to keep him away from Bellator/WSOF, but if he is as criminally unprepared to fight a scrub as a lot of people in this thread and others say he is, I would think Dana and Co. would let him go embarrass himself in another fight organization. Of course maybe I'm wrong and they haven't learned, but like i said:

The UFC wanted Tony to lose. They wanted to show how much more skilled a MMA fighter is than boxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

The UFC is in the entertainment business, CM Punk isn't signed because they think he is going to be champ one day, they signed him purely to draw in more viewers.

e:not saying that is good or bad.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

flashy_mcflash posted:

I didn't see this talked about or confirmed, but was the Punk signing what Dana was going to announce a few weeks ago when he had that press conference that ended up being "jk we're not announcing poo poo"?

Either that or the reebok deal

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

thehappyprince posted:

who pays the judges in ufc?

State government run, Athletic Commissions.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Dangersim posted:

One of my favorite things is you can tell who is an mma fan by if they put the word the in front of UFC or not.

Don't start a fight with me, I train UFC.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

They need a lesser skilled version of Forest Griffen, no worry about KO'ing Punk and average take downs and ju-jits.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Memento posted:

I think he was being sarcastic about people who claim that they train "UFC" as if that were a fighting style as opposed to an entertainment company.

ding ding ding

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

WeaponX posted:

yes yuriy in your expert opinion please tell me more about bad posters

Takes one to know one.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Skip My Posts posted:

Tap out fedora LMFAO

Whoa, its a real thing
http://fighterxfashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/tapout-balboa-hat.jpg

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

fatherdog posted:

MOD CHALLENGE: Watch Severn/Shamrock 2 and make your next post in this thread a minute-by-minute review.

This thread just turned into gold.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Jason Funk posted:

and I don't want PTSD from this mockery that was the decline of pure mixed martial arts

I don't think you understand what minute-by-minute means.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I'm watching CB Dolloway vs some guy but if I don't drink myself to sleep before then I'll do the minute by minute thing

Welp you have plenty of time now.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Alright alright alright, I'm booting her up thanks to the fight pass. I'm pretty drunk but still really coherent. DC drink prices make it hard to be blackout drunk before like 3 or a house party. Anyway this takes place in Detroit's convention center but they didn't know how the gently caress to sanction it so it's got hilarious rules like "OH NO CLOSED FISTS" or some poo poo, idk it might have just been to the face. I'm drinking and the announcers aren't helping. Also if anyone wants to know what I've been drinking it's been a lot of Stone and Flying Dog

Are you sure you aren't watching Pancrase?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

1st AD posted:

Most people know I got my jaw broken in the (Carlos) Newton fight, but they don’t know that the shot that did it also knocked me out cold. I stayed on my feet but I was totally blacked out and dont remember anything in the fight after that punch.

When I came to, I was getting loaded into the ambulance by my coach and another guy. I asked them ‘What happened, did I lose?’ and they said ‘No Dan, you won, you won,’ and whatever, but I could see across the path there was a pizza shop and Carlos Newton was in there eating a slice of pizza. That really pissed me off that he got to eat pizza and I had to go home in an ambulance. I thought if I won the fight shouldnt it be the other way around? So I was ticked off.

So I got out of the ambulance while the ambulance guy wasn’t paying attention and …walked across the path to the pizza store. I was really out of it from pain medication but I kept my cool and got in there and managed to order a slice. As Ii left the store I looked over at Carlos and gave him a nod and sort of motioned to my pizza to say ‘Yeah, good job,’ yknow, but to let him know that I won the fight and I deserved that pizza more than him.

I don’t remember what happened after, but I woke up again the next morning in the hospital and the pizza was still there beside my bed. So if anyone ever tells you that Newton should’ve won that decision, now you can tell them why they’re wrong.

Carlos Newton must be one of the unluckiest mma fighters. He's lost at least two fights where the other fighter was unconscious.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

loving christ. any of his matches NOT behind the ufc paywall? i don't really watch mma but i'll watch this guy kill a man

Its almost as if the UFC's business plan is selling fights.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Lloyd Boner posted:

well educated professional wrestling fan

That's your problem right there.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

1st AD posted:

Someone post the video where cXb is getting punched while grappling with his girlfriend, then catches her in an armbar while her daughter goes "whoa awesome"

What is cxb?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Agreed posted:

Haha, must be imagining that happening to him very soon. That's fantastic.

I hope he does well - if Dana White gave me the opportunity to go fight in the UFC after receiving some world-class training with the best of the best, I'd do it too, gently caress the terms and conditions that's something for the bucket list.

I just hope Brock Lesnar can guest referee to prevent any shenanigans in his debut.

Just don't give the audience any folding chairs

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I expect CM Punk to do as well as Herschel Walker did in Strikeforce at the age of 48.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Yeah after reading this thread I was like wow those MMA guys sure are weird

I was thinking those MMA guys are weird before I even read this thread.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Please help me to understand, as a person who has watched very few professional wrestling tv shows. If it is all scripted, all of the drama is fake, correct?

Other TV shows occasionally have backstage drama, like one actor doesn't get along with the director, they have the writers kill off his character. No one ever accuses the main producer of a long running soap opera of being a business mastermind. Who decides what drama around Vince Mcmahon is real life drama, and what is scripted drama? If an ex-WWE performer talks smack about Vince, is there anyway to find out if he is just building drama for his exciting entrance back into the show?

When a poster said:

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Vince is well-documented as a guy who will lie to your face and then maneuver behind your back to gently caress you over on agreements you made with him. If you have him in a legally binding position, he will resort to unbelievable carny skulduggery to get what he wants and/or simply ignore the law. Rather than give you rights and benefits as a worker in a multi-million dollar enterprise, he will either discard you or keep you on the teat as a charity case if he likes you. The company is extraordinarily petty towards wrestlers who become successful independent of the company, even if they've never actually worked for him.

All that and he's always had a chip on his shoulder because his goal has been to grow his empire beyond wrestling (bodybuilding, the XFL, bad movies, Republican politics) and each time he's tried it's been a dismal failure. This has partially been an effort to make more money, but he and certain yes-men are all too conscious of wrestling's perception as redneck culture and how they feel that stigma has undermined their attempts to grow. This is partially justified but mostly has to do with Vince being a maniac and the unethical way the company has always done business.

CM Punk getting out from under this gigantic loving rear end in a top hat and his circus makes him an absolute hero. If he gets loving destroyed in the Octagon he will still be an absolute hero (and will still have prospects) and I hope his payday is huge whatever happens.
Isn't the drama just scripted so that when CM Punk comes back to the WWE there is more to talk about on the show? Brock Lesnar got out of the circus of the WWE, fought in the UFC, then went back because of fake drama with Gravedigger?

Who decides what drama with WWE is real, and what is scripted?

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 23, 2015

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

1st AD posted:

I'm not sure about the state of wrestling reporting today, but even in the late 90's it was pretty well understood who the players were backstage and how they were building towards certain storylines. Guys like Meltzer have been around forever so reporting on the inner workings of things is pretty well documented.

Pro wrestling is rife with backstage drama because it's a business that has carny roots and getting ahead in the business probably means a combination of talent and political maneuvering.

So the real and the fake drama is decided by Meltzer? wow

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Aesop Poprock posted:

Honestly it's not too different from MMA fighters and boxers claiming they have problems with each other before a big fight. Most of the time it's just showmanship for the fans, but sometimes there's an element of actual dislike between them or even outright hostility.

Memento posted:

The best way to find out if a performer talking poo poo about Vince is legitimate or not is whether or not there are lawyers involved. Punk sued the WWE for unpaid royalties and appearance money and got a massive settlement because legally, they didn't have a leg to stand on. It's widely regarded that the lawsuit the WWE doctor filed against Punk and Cabana is being done because Vince wants to get back at Punk, and can only do it by proxy per what are probably the details of their settlement. Vince literally "wants his win back" because he is a brain-damaged carny.

This makes sense, thanks.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Luigi Thirty posted:

as a wrestlin fan, I enjoy the UFC because there is a giant referee who looks like Tommy Dreamer

and we also have this doofus as ref.
http://www.fightsite.hr/Media2/beltran%20mike.jpg

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Spikeguy posted:

Legit question from an outsider, is this considered disrespectful? Punk not putting his hands up and all?

For marketing purposes, fight organizations like having pictures of both fighters looking angry at each other with their fists up ready to fight. Google image search "square off ufc"

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I know wrestling is fake, but I like to pretend that there is drama behind the scenes which is real... and not totally scripted at all.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I watch the wwf for the complex story arcs and excellent display of athleticism... not at all for the muscular men in spandex.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

WWE has been trying to show some social consciousness lately, so why does it still insist on making its minority wrestlers into grill-wearing, thuggish B-listers?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCngu7E8z8I
Not sure who this guy is, but he isn't a fan of the UFC.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

The OP was posted Dec 6, 2014

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

What does it mean "he totally sold it"?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

LobsterMobster posted:

keep this on the DL since my fam over at uproxx are gonna include it in a write-up of the episode, but i love y'all

https://vine.co/v/5htJj0L27he

Whoa, we finally have a real mma journalist in our forum.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Jerusalem posted:

That slapfight was pretty sad to watch, much like CM Punk in his match with Mickey Gall.

I kinda hope UFC finishes up his contract pretty soon so I can close this thread.

Or you know, you could let the members of this forum talk about the topics that they want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Bluedeanie posted:

How many times in the last month have you pmed fatherdog on twitter to report jerusalem for gimmick modding

This was funny

• Locked thread