Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bring back Kimbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

The ironic thing here is that Punk could see this as an opportunity to make his stock rise then waltz back into WWE on a part-time schedule like Brock...but he might get so hosed up that he'll never be able to pass a WWE physical again

CM Punk already made his stock rise.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

If he went back yesterday, there's no way they would have given him a part-time schedule. If he makes himself an attraction outside of WWE, they might allow it.

CM Punk is not fighting in MMA to make his WWE stock rise.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bigass Moth posted:

He's going to face the biggest tomato cans on the planet. Best in the world indeed.

He'll probably fight some high upside athlete like UFC brought in for TUF Heavyweights. Guys with no experience but athletic pedigrees. That way whoever wins UFC wins.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Supreme Allah posted:

Jericho took down Goldberg easily in a backstage real fight so I consider him a legitimate tough guy, even if Goldberg was a braindead troglodyte.

Goldberg is a cool guy and the reports of that fight vary wildly. Jericho probably got him in a headlock in a very brief scrap. Goldberg wins under PRIDE rules.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
http://www.ufc.tv/video/ufc-181-post-fight-press-conference He's at the post fight presser.

Edit: They cut off his presser but he might be at the main one soon? Who knows.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 7, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NutritiousSnack posted:

CM Punk legit doing a Brock Lesnar would be hilarous as well and piss HHH and Vince even more so it's what I hope for most as well.

Unfortunately for Punk everything is against him to be a legitimate UFC fighter.

Luckily for him Robbie Lawler won a UFC title in 2014 and got his title shot by ending the multi year winstreak of Matt Brown so who the gently caress knows anymore.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

skaboomizzy posted:

If Punk really has an eight-fight deal, he better hope his first six opponents can sell getting out-maneuvered into a submission by a BJJ blue-belt really well.

Punk has like two dozen chronic injuries and at least that many concussions (to hear him tell it), 2-3 years of training from whatever Gracie he's buddies with, and he's 36 years old... his first three or more fights are gonna be like that Mickey Rourke vs "a literal hobo" boxing match last week.

Dana will get his big PPV money as long as it's not exposed too early, but it'll cost him all kinds of credibility in the long run. I doubt he cares as long as he can still get sanctioned in NV and CA.

I suppose this whole enterprise is a step above "Herschel Walker, MMA fighter" but that's just because people have heard of UFC and CM Punk is probably not a crazy person.

He doesn't it was a joke. Michael Coughlin is a wacky man who makes fun of Brazilian and Armenian fighters (and doesn't even post here) and posted that as a joke. The length of a UFC contract doesn't even really matter, if you lose they cut you, if you win they extend you.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
They need to do boxer vs wrestler so Dave Meltzer can die a happy man. Roy Jones Jr. vs CM Punk. Come on Joe Silva, do it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rovert posted:

Imagine Colt Cabana, Ace Steel and Cliff Compton as cornermen

It's gonna be Joe because he's a real shooter and currently unemployed.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

AlmightyPants posted:

As someone who knows almost nothing about UFC, do they let their fighters cut promos? I don't care if Punk wins or loses, I just want him to have an open mic.

Yeah, on Countdown shows, press conferences and after the fight if you win.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Justin Godscock posted:

At least he can't do any worse than Dave "AH! My leg, thank God Guardians of the Galaxy has a sequel!" Bautista.

He could lose to a much less experienced fighter.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
CM Punk is stealing valuable main card slots from Todd Duffee and nameless Brazilians everyone complains about.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

Anyone rooting for Punk to lose is going to have a while to wait, because he's going to be matched up with 0-0 scrubs by a promotion that has every incentive to see him win. Unlike most 0-0 guys Punk has the time and money to train full time with a full range of top-flight coaches, which means that even given the handicaps of age, pro-wrestling-induced wear-and-tear, and (presumably) lack of PEDs, he's going to have an enormous advantage over the first (at bare minimum) two or three opponents he faces, and that's going to take us through the first year or two of his fight career.

He's never going to be a champion or even (probably) in the top 30 of whatever division he's in, but he'll pop some buyrates beating up scrubs, fight one or two bad-but-recognizable-names, and then retire with a fatter wallet and quite possibly a commentary or Fox analysis job.

In a few years UFC shows will be called by CM Punk and Chael Sonnen.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

His first fight is almost certainly going to be on the televised prelims on a show in Chicago.

If his first fight isn't on PPV or Fox I will be beyond shocked. You don't pay a guy what they'd have to pay him and put it on the prelims.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

Spoiler: He's going to do well against whatever tomato can they line up for him

the UFC always, always, always puts a big/popular name on the televised undercard, because it induces people to tune in and then buy the ppv.

No they don't. If the card is top loaded enough the prelims just end up with trash. They have also never put a freakshow on the prelims. If they have a pretty loaded card they will, but signing a WWE star to put him on FS1 instead of the actual PPV is just nuts. If people see the biggest star on the undercard they just won't tune in to the PPV. Glory had a ton of people watching CroCop on their prelims and then literally no one bought the PPV.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

david carmichael posted:

high rated lead-ins translate directly to higher ppv buys for the ufc.

its not really comparable with glory because it was glory's first and only ppv, so there's no baseline to compare to.

This isn't true at all, there's almost no correlation between prelim ratings and PPV buys. They did huge prelim numbers for shows like Coleman/Couture and then the actual PPV did poorly. Sometimes the major shows do big prelim numbers, sometimes they don't. There was a closer correlation between prelim ratings and Superbowl Saturday than with PPV buys.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Would that BJJ tournament mobn did make him overqualified to fight Punk?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lloyd Boner posted:

In his interview with Ariel Helwani he basically said his debut fight will be on PPV.

e: Also it probably won't be in Chicago because the next Chicago show they're running is a bit too early for him.

I hope it is in LA so the Kings mascot can heckle him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm still hoping for Punk vs Royce.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aesop Poprock posted:

mma posters here like to see mma "purists" get mad too so I'm not sure why you're assuming they're referring to goons

If you aren't a fan of MMA are you likely to be hanging out on the Underground?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

If he did an omoplata instead he mighty've finished that instead of being counted out, right?

or what that not a real shoot

It was a real shoot. They ran the trainees through drills to tire them out before they had Kurt shoot on them to show them they ain't poo poo, only for Puder to come in and almost break his arm. The ref luckily thought quickly to count the bullshit pin because Kurt was never going to tap.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cultlife posted:

Huh. Some of Punk's answers sound like it could all go very similarly wrong if this adventure doesn't go so well.

'Oh hey Dana and Lorenzo FLEW TO CHICAGO to sign me! WWE didn't do that, look at it as an example of how they do business so differently!'. I'd have a hard time believing WWE wouldn't fly out to talk to someone already very famous to sign them up, or that Dana and Lorenzo would personally fly out to Chicago to discuss why he's being cut after refusing to turn up to fight.

I can sympathise that he's excited about fulfilling a dream, but it sounds like he's got some really rose-tinted ideas of life as a cage fighter.

Dana and Lorenzo or just one of them do a lot of face to face meetings with fighters to get deals done or clear up problems. Sometimes Lorenzo has to do them alone because the fighter doesn't like Dana.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Great White Hope posted:

Pfft, at one point WWE was considering putting together an MMA promotion built around Bob Sapp.

Now that's an alternate universe I want to live in.

I want to live in a world where this replaced UFC as the ultimate combat sport.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

This is correct, all I wanted to clear was that while CM Punk may have bum knees and a history of concussions he will be cleared anyway excluding something like being knocked out hours before appearing before the commission. Which could happen if he goes bath shopping with Renan Barao I guess.

His knee problems have been pretty greatly overstated. He had knee problems that caused him problems because he couldn't get them fixed immediately, but he got them fixed. It doesn't seem like they led to long term problems. His knees are probably way better off than your average high level amateur wrestler... just without all of the skills that come with that pedigree.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Marching Powder posted:

i wonder how many fans the ufc gained from brock being in the ufc and how many immediately left after he was annihilated

UFC did some market research after his first fight that indicated 300,000 of the buys were from people who had never bought a UFC show before.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Charles Gnarwin posted:

CM Punk's fan base is also motivated to show Vince McMahon that they are willing to support Punk financially. His ProWrestlingTees site basically wrecked their website briefly with the number of orders. So not only do you have people conditioned to buying PPVs, but you have the added incentive for some of buying as a mild protest.

Punk's first fight will pop a massive buyrate and Dana White will get a new Bible gun.

ProWrestlingTees is not a very well run business.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It was really funny when Carwin got the Bud Light sponsorship for his fight with Brock.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's too bad Ed's belt ranking and street fighting background on Married with Children would lead to no commission sanctioning him against Punk.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Log posted:

Ed would pretty resoundingly whup his rear end, right?

If he wasn't in his late 60s, sure. Even with his years of training he'd be an old man with a full time acting schedule going into a fight with a guy 30 years young who will be coming off a full MMA training camp.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dangersim posted:

What do cargo shorts have to do with mma and what's wrong with new balances

John Cena sometimes wears them and he's THE WORST.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Looks like he's successfully completed the challenge.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Memento posted:

ADR did the smartest thing he could there, which was fall over and not get up the second it looked vaguely plausible. I applaud him for getting in the ring with Mirko though, takes some serious cojones.

He got kicked in the head and was knocked out. There was nothing smart about it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

He should have just fought back since it turns out cro coo is a sub frank Mir level talent

Alberto doesn't have the kind of boss tattoos Frank Mir has, his wussy ink can't stand up to Cro Cop.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Memento posted:

Are we watching the same gif? The one where the left leg gently caresses the top of ADR's head and then he falls over a half second later after he realises he has an out? He wasn't knocked out at all.

Considering it was PRIDE, the chances of it being a legit fight even if that kick connected were about one in five.

Watch the actual video the kick lands and you can hear it hitting his skull. Cro Cop then punches him right in the face while he's down. PRIDE didn't hire cans to take dives. You hire cans because they suck, and Alberto sucked at MMA. The people who took dives were fighters with name value like Mark Coleman.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Eat This Glob posted:

Cross post from UFC monthly thread for the wrasslin' folks. Issue 1 for folks who don't follow mma reguarly: Front Row Brian is a terrible source. Issue 2: Roufusport is in the news lately for having a guy die in the ring. A few of his fighters have been talking poo poo about Duke for running brutal and dangerous practices. A great place for a guy like CM Punk who said he had 15 concussions or whatever. First person accounts from that gym here. I have no idea if that rumor is true that he's going to Milwaukee (it's FRB, so probably not) but for the wrestler guy's sake with a history of brain trauma, I seriously loving hope not.

Punk has already hinted it is his most likely destination so reporting he's going there is a safe bet from anyone who wants to break news.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

titties posted:

After I watch the fight so it doesn't get spoiled.

My memories of Royce prior to seeing this fight:

* Refuses to treat opponents with anything other than disdain
* Continues to work holds after someone taps so he can talk poo poo
* Will never break when the ref calls for it / completely ignores the ref
* Talked mad poo poo about Matt Hughes before getting instantly destroyed

As of about 35 minutes into the fight, it appears that I can add that he requires special rules that apply only to him. Did I miss anything?

Royce was only willing to fight under that ruleset. Part of the reason why I love that fight is at the end Sakuraba is standing above a prone Gracie after completely outclassing him under his own rules. Not a lot happens but the last two rounds are satisfying.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

i did like the minor threat vs. youth of today question

What was the answer?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Punk will just tap him with his slick jits :smuggo:

YoT is always the answer

Good to know Punk's concussion situation isn't as bad as reported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Daniel Bryan posted:

Punk said Minor Threat

He's doomed.

• Locked thread