Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I would like to nominate FruitNYogurtParfait, Ullerrm and/or Eonwe as IK's of the MMO HMO.

They all have an actual understanding of MMO'S and play them often; they're also active posters and some of the more sane people there. They also have a sense of humor, all three of them.

Eye of Widesauron fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Kewpuh posted:

Not really gonna do IKs for MMO HMO. I get that some of you think that some posters in the forum take poo poo way too seriously or sometimes might be total loving retards with regards to things like underage sex or e-stalking, but that's an incredibly small sample of the entire userbase that regularly posts there. That's a type of forum that would not benefit from "spicing things up" which is what the entire purpose of an IK is. It's a forum centered around specific types of threads unlike GBS or fyad-lites where IKs have a lot more opportunity to do cool things.

I think GBS caters to specific types of threads namely really bad ones but I definitely see your point here.

I'm glad reports are down and things are going well.

Also what happened to your AV?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Suggestion: for the holidays have a gaming themed name change thread.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

How do you feel about hot dog hats

Suggestion to boost Games traffic: keep doing what you are all doing; it's working and I'm gonna guess that the 100 or so that we lost were lost during the forums downtime and glitchiness.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

DangerKat posted:

Is that possible in our community, though? How many people have the right kind of sperg to create content like you'd find on reddit or NeoGAF with thick enough skin to handle the typical back-and-forths we have here?

More people than you'd imagine. People just have to get over the self loathing complex when it comes to popular content here; we've had some amazing photoshop jobs happening over in Imp Zone, especially with the Character Challenge that we had going on for awhile ( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3674276 is the first bracket). We also had this dude make some pretty cool comics: ( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654803 ) and who could forget Bowser's gaffe: ( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3645928&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3 ) Some of it gets goldmined, some of doesn't but it'd be cool to see a collection of the neat content people who enjoy video games have made over the last year in a sort of megathread that can then be goldmined or whatever. Maybe even toss it on the front page; it can't be any worse than the stuff that goes up there half the time.

Not just stuff from Imp Zone either. People in the Repopulation thread in MMO HMO have been abusing the character creator to make some absolutely horrifying faces:

randombattle posted:

I AM THE PERFECT HUMAN ONLY THROUGH PERFECTION CAN WE TRIUMPH.

We've had a whole year of really neat content from photoshops to in game screenshots to neat videos and stuff. Maybe it'd be neat and give us some visibility if we could compile it and toss it on the front page or something.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Here. I'll make a thread. Since it's not exactly "games" feel free to gas it if you want. We can see what happens with it and hopefully goons won't be retarded and just post dicks in it or whatever. I hate thread rules but I'm going to make a few for it and even though I can't enforce them maybe people will just be nice since it's the holidays.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Great Joe posted:

Link that sucka.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686739

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Donnerberg posted:

2014 has been a poo poo year for video games. They either came out broken or were pushed into 2015. Maybe that's part of it?

2014 has actually been absolutely amazing for video games.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Donnerberg posted:

It's been an absolutely amazing year for broken video games.

How have you not been able to have fun with Smash Brothers (both or either), Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Shovel Knight, to name a few?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

abraxas posted:

So it was a really good year for Nintendo is what you're saying?

That sounds like a good year for gaming for me, and there are several other fun games that people have been playing. Shovel Knight though to me is legit one of the best games I've played all year.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I encourage and believe in things that help people have fun gaming together so that sounds neat.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

It's way more fun to actually play a bad game with other people than it is to just bitch about it. I think that idea has a lot of merit to it. There are several cheap terrible games out there and not only that terrible mods and servers for various games most of us probably already own as well.

With steam broadcast the potential for sharing funny poo poo with other goons just got way better too!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Eonwe posted:

every post I've seen you make in games or gbs is super unfunny, but I don't read the xbox thread, maybe you are a superstar there

He's just bitter.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Zombie Samurai posted:

Steam's free-to-play section isn't just lovely Korean MMOs anymore, either. There's a great big mess of free indie masterpieces of highly questionable value.

This sounds like a good time in the making. As much as some goons loathe making funny pictures and videos that's what draws people in and honestly some of it is really loving funny once one takes the stick out of one's butt.

poo poo, I bet Garbage Day would love to have more material to work with for front page shenanigans. Maybe not, but I'll hazard a guess.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Kewpuh posted:

i guess my problem or irritation maybe is that it took a thread like this to get people talking about doing something like that which leads me to think that people still are for some reason afraid to post threads and i hate that

I will post a thread a day as a shining example to everyone.

My guess: People are still worried about not only moderation (less so now I think) but also about a pile of goons going "ugh this thread sucks" as if that means anything. I mean, poo poo, these are the same people who think Guacamelee was a bad game because of memes and hate the shibe so gently caress them.

If they are worried, well they shouldn't worry about that because if the thread sucks enough it will get trolled to death and/or gassed.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Stux posted:

this is also true. are no capitalising and no punctuation posts even ok outside of threads like that and the xbone thread?? who knows?!? perhaps the rules could be updated a bit with specifics on things like this to reflect the new more relaxed moderation in games

Yeah the rules need to be looked at.

I mean if this rule in Zoolooman's sticky:

quote:

Console Warriors:

Buying a PS4 or playing on PC doesn't make you a member of a special tribe. Playing Dota doesn't make you better than playing League. Don't be the guy who defines himself with his purchasing decisions. Don't kill other people because they prefer something else.

Were actually enforced we would have a lot of people probated all the time.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

With that being said tribalism in gaming sucks and people should just have fun together.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

A Games chat thread would inevitably lead to people being really retarded and over sharing so I am okay with this.

Whether it's good for the forums or not is another thing but I bet it would end up unintentionally funny.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Here have fun people who wanted a chat thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686936

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Zombie Samurai posted:

Unless someone else wants to I'll make a Bad Games Extravaganza thread when I get home. What do people think, should they be weekly games, monthly games, post whatever you've got, some combination?

I'm gonna throw in with monthly or weekly so that people have a chance to hop on board.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Stux posted:

i think it could be good to maybe do both if that isnt over stretching it. that way the weekly ones could be the obviously and immediately terrible games no one would be able to stand, with a monthly game which is more of a slow burn/worth seeing through for all its horriblness. or perhaps do it based on the particular games.

This is a good idea; some games will be a flash in the pan and others will probably be ones that people enjoy returning to. Like, when we did Evolve in Imp Zone it lasted a day or so but Town of Salem lasted way longer (we're still playing).

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Adam Bowen posted:

If being more relaxed means the future of the forum is filled with garbage posters like Widestancer then let's go back to heavy-handed moderation

Ever since that gamers.txt thread got shut down because it sucked you've been really bitter. That's not cool.

What would you change moderation wise so that we have some concrete feedback and not just a really lame slapfight?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

It shouldn't matter if it has a thread or not is my input but I do think it would be cool to try to track down some odd balls. lovely odd games don't usually get their own threads so that could solve itself.

But if a bunch of "Misunderstood Games (don't shoot can't breathe) thread" posters wanna dcss sure

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I wish there hadn't already been some high-profile LPs of the Cabela's Dangerous Hunt games because at least one of them is goddamn hilarious and like $2.50 at any given Gamestop.

You can make more LP's and I think some more discussion of the absolutely retarded hunting games out there would be funny and good.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I would like to cordially invite the moderation and administration team of the Games forum and its subforums to submit the Funniest Reports of Games (including subforums) 2014 Edition to the scrapbook thread so that they can be memorialized.

In order to make it more palatable feel free to redact the names of posters involved.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lyer posted:

The SJWarrioring in threads really loving ruin them (see last few pages of the GTA V thread). I understand that type of discussion needs to happen, but generally anything to do with it usually ends in poo poo. The social issues thread we had a while back turned into a huge pile of poo poo in a forum filled with piles of shits. poo poo everywhere.

I don't have a solution or anything, I just want to read threads about games.

The GTA V thing was funny because people didn't realize we were making fun of them. On the flip side I like that you can't just drop the n bomb in here or stuff like that.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I'm kind of bewildered by what you want. Grand Theft Auto V itself takes on social issues. There is an entire mission which is literally just Torture Is Bad And Doesn't Work (which is pretty timely considering the report released today.)

I mean not to be a dick but the movie, book and television subforums are all able to discuss things without people going "I just want to discuss movies" so I'm not sure why video games need to be a special snowflake where people never discuss anything.

I mean there are unarguably people who are both immensely super-defensive babies who don't want to hear anything bad about a game they like and people who are looking to swing their tumblr dick around, but y'know, those kind of assholes exist anywhere.

It's fun to talk about those issues in a good hearted manner. It's also fun to laugh at people who legitimately state that "the core demographic of video games is white males and that sucks" as literally happened in that thread.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

chumbler posted:

The absolute worst thing about any time discussion or criticism of a game gets heated is not the posters on either side of the debate, but the ones who only post a whine about how they "don't want to have to read" that kind of discussion

I dunno I'm not sure I want to have to read about what the legal age is in Iceland or whether it's okay to doxx goons to get better at your spaceship game but I definitely think that people who flat out don't want to read most discussions instead of just laughing at the people making them are silly.

I'd rather laugh at them because laughter is healthy.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

Why is that something worth making fun of? If it's super tumblr 'how dare people be white,' that's one thing, but if it's just 'I want to see a more diverse range of characters and developers' then that's pretty understandable.

I want you to read some of the posts in the GTA V thread and tell me they're not worth making fun of with a straight face.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

Like I said, some of those posts are totally worth making fun of because they were being weird dumbasses, but the sentiment you used as an example isn't.

That wasn't a sentiment it was a post someone actually made

Fayez Butts posted:

This is so untrue it's not funny. Videogames these days have exactly one major demographic, white loving males. And it sucks. Why do you think there is so much discussion going on these days?

I was just too lazy to go quote it

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

BERGfu posted:

I hope people post more screenshots when they do something fun or cool in a game in replacement to long words posts

I agree and think that this will lead to more content that can boost the site; people used to register here for that among other reasons: actual content.

I mean, we have a lot of other stuff going for us but that's one area that's always fun to mess with and games have made it easier than ever to do.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Stux posted:

idk that kind of comment would be valid and accepted for other forms of media

I'll ask the same thing I did in the thread: why does this comparison with other media keep coming up?

Like, I don't get it. Of course people make those comments with other media. And of course it's accepted. But if someone made those comments about a pulp movie centered specifically around violence I'd have the same reaction I do when it's GTA: no poo poo. Like, do people watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre and then go wow, they only had one victim in a wheelchair?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Also I'm remembering the scene in Texas Chainsaw Massacre where the dude in the wheelchair gets the chainsaw run through him because he gets stuck while rolling away.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I think people should keep making those comments so that we can keep laughing at them. It doesn't impede honest sane discussion of social issues in gaming; it's a form of self policing which I feel is the best kind of policing.

I'd much rather people be able to talk about why there isn't a female protagonist in a game and then if someone takes it to the extreme on either side have them mocked than have a moderator step in.

I've seen what's happening in DnD and I don't want that to happen here. I also remember GiP before Nostalgia4Infinity took over and that wasn't cool either (N4I has made it much bettet).

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Stux posted:

maybe the issue here is you're thinking that people saying that are trying to imply you shouldnt enjoy the game or it shouldnt exist when all they are doing is making an observation or analysis? like yes, actually people do analyse and look at pulp movies in that light because its interesting and important to critique stuff. that doesnt mean you cant enjoy it or it shouldnt exist though.

If you read the progression of some of the posts/threads we're talking about it becomes painfully obvious that the last thing going on is a level headed critique complete with intelligent discussion. That's when it becomes worthy of stepping in and mentioning Susan B Anthony making a drive by on some Balla bustas.

Which would be fun as hell.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

Yeah, and I can see why someone would make that post? Obviously it's overdramatic and not strictly true (for one thing I don't think Japanese devs are targeting *white* dudes) but the fact is most western developers are white dudes making games for white dudes. Since you responded to that post with

I'll try to answer. If development teams were more diverse, making games for more diverse audiences, then games would be more diverse. And I don't necessarily mean diverse in a 'look, there's a black dude' way, I mean that there would be a wider range of ideas coming in, which would lead to more variety in design, settings, themes, etc. Even if you couldn't give a poo poo about anything remotely related to story, it'd have an effect on the kind of games that are being made, mechanically.

For an example of what I mean, look at Hidden Object games. Those games are, from what I can tell, targeted at older women. Moms, basically. While I don't think they're really the pinnacle of game design, they represent a genre that came into existence solely because the devs were targeting a demographic besides dudes aged 18-36 - if they were targeting that demographic, after all, the games would probably be closer to 'escape the room' type games, with larger puzzles to solve and a more immediate conflict at hand. By making the decision a demographic that's both older, female, and assumed to have not played that many games, the game design changed from what would have been the norm.

this is the Gamesiest post ive ever made but basically, i dont know about that guy, but im not really saying 'kill all white dudes,' just 'it'd be cool if games had a wider variety of people making them, and were willing to go outside the box some in terms of design and story' peace

:cripes:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Stux posted:

also in the absence of a "Serious Gaming Chat" forum, there is no where else to talk about it. IZ exists for people to post about games and specifically not have to talk about those things so i dont see the problem with it happening in the main forum like in every other "art" forum

I think if people made threads for it not only would it be an experiment to see if that's what people actually want to do (talk about social issues in gaming without going full retard LF about it) but it would also make for easier moderation and navigation.

This gets back to the "people should make threads" thing.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

yeah im gonna go hang myself

I see where you were going with that post though and the sane part of me agrees, actually.

This is a good example of why maybe someone should make a social issues thread.

Just don't make it suck like last time and understand that it's probably going to get mocked like crazy until it produces some good poo poo.

It will produce good poo poo just maybe not in the intended manner.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

For all of your social issues in gaming needs:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686976

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Stux posted:

i dont think this is a great idea but i also dont wanna continue derailing this thread so i guess lets just see what happens

It's probably a terrible idea but that will be part of the charm. Either way, we win.

• Locked thread