Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

tiny dogs are gross and annoying and suffer their entire lives

you're a horrible person if you have one or bring it around others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

infernal machines posted:

that's some bullshit.
it's called freedom

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

jfc. who the gently caress agrees to get irradiated for minimum wage?
poor people

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

lol weighed, like your weight doesn't fluctuate multiple pounds a day and some lovely ring is going to tip the scales

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

disrupting the solid ground paradigm

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

unnoticed posted:

The whole skyscraper being bought up as investments and nobody actually living there thing is way worse in China. They have whole cities like that. Gonna be interesting when that bubble bursts.
There have been a couple news shows that visited these places and it's really spooky.
you mean like Dubai?

8 lane highways completely empty

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

BONGHITZ posted:

nuclear energy is bad, and not good.
coal is the best because it's not the cheapest and it definitely spreads literal poison and radioactive poo poo everywhere

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Elder Postsman posted:

this seems to happen a lot. hmmmm.

environmental costs don't fit on balance sheets

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

wasn't there a goon who was working with a charity installing networked water pumps in African villages so they could track when they break down
these pumps (i used hand pumps/wells) break down at least once a year with heavy use and they are likely the only source of relatively clean water for miles. the village i lived in was smart and collected fees every month, about a dollar from each user, and kept it in a fund to repair the pump immediately upon failure.

pointers posted:

so someone mentioned agricultural land restoration projects and yes yes yes
1) biochar. gently caress yes biochar. increases cation exchange capacity, water retention, has a shitload of carbon so throw a lil nitrogen on that bitch and u got urself some beneficial microbes going. do a biochar
2) loving great green wall bitches. basically acacia trees have real deep roots AND they fix nitrogen?!?! holy mother of gently caress these things are awesome already. but then THEN they totally LOSE THEIR LEAVES AT A TIME WHEN AGRICULTURAL CROPS ARE IN ACTIVE GROWTH. so u can plant MUTHAFUCKING CROPS under these trees and they wont gently caress with the root system, get fuckin NATURALLY FERTILIZED and can still get sun and poo poo?!!? plus ur CREATING MUTHAFUCKING JOBS AND DISTRUPTING THE AGRICULTURAL ECONOMY b/c u gotta harvest those bitches between trees and aint no loving big-agri mass producution machines doin' that poo poo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Green_Wall
3) and gently caress this documentary is awesome even if it gets all preachy at the end http://www.symphonyofthesoil.com/

loving soil (it is not dirt IT IS NOT DIRT) bitches, keeping things alive
most of my work in zambia was teaching people about the benefits of acacia trees like "msangu" and how they are literally free fertilizer.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pointers posted:

plz direct me to how i can get involved with this it is extremely my poo poo
https://www.peacecorps.gov

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i hated my time there mainly because i'm a fuckup with sadbrains fwiw

e; i'd go back and do it again :gonk:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Spime Wrangler posted:

and those are going to fall the gently caress apart too because we refuse to fund their maintenance

the rich don't drive, their drivers do
duh

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i am taking uber to the train station tomorrow morning. pray for me

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pointers posted:

reading about interviewing for tech jobs (http://lizmrush.com/on-interviewing/ thanks to tef's blog for the link) and wondering how the gently caress you would address something like 'i left this position because my manager hit on me' or 'i left this position because it was near impossible to be productive when my only coworker didnt take me seriously as a woman'
not that i really want to go back into computers but lol how do you even address that without raising "red flags" for being 'over-sensitive' or something like that

hope you're interviewed by someone who isn't sexist

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yospos safety update: I took an uber to the train station at 5am and the driver was kind enough to use lube

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

that was awful

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

next ask him to tell you the story about the native african tribe. they have one great trick for dealing with criminals that you just won't believe!

they beat the person and/or drag them to a public meeting with the headman/chief and then likely take them to the police if possible

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

playpump was an idea to replace hand-operated water pumps in africa with spinny playground equipment, with the idea that they would siphon off the kinetic energy from kids playing on them to operate the water pump. charities and aid organizations loved it and tens of millions of dollars were spent on building them all over africa

except each one cost $14,000, the pump didn't deliver enough water even when kids were playing on it, tons of them broke down and the company was slow to fix them and refused to pay for replacing broken ones, and it turned out kids didn't like them all that much so adults ended up having to play on them since there was no manual pump option
kids (under 10 or so) already hang out at manual pumps and wait for people to need water so they can jump up on the handle and use their body mass to pull it down

foreign aid for building/installing stuff that breaks is awful and stupid no matter what it is. unless a local organization can go out to these remote places within a day or two to fix poo poo or train locals to do so then once they break they are broken forever

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Phoning It In posted:

robouber: a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, which is a solution that hasn't been invented yet to another problem that doesn't exist
innovation

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

i would imagine also that tying your fresh water output to "how hard your 5 year old children are running around in the African sun" might just be a net negative energywise

kids are kids and are going to run around and play regardless of how hot it is

also give lots of money to peace corps individual grants to fund specific projects (yospos funded a school/student-run shop in a village that is making a profit now and buying food the kids)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my favorite ice cream is haagen dazs coffee

always and forever

it's really good with those milano mint cookie things

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i need a small lamp to put behind my postin' throne for ambient light and reading books and such. post ur hottest recs itt

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

doc block i'm sorry about what i said in the app thread you made

it's the apps that are bad, not you :buddy:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The Leck posted:

pretty sure anyone who has one of these also has a separate fiio dac

almost bought one of these then realized that music sounds fine already so why gently caress with it

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

"small business" is code for "rich people" right?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

i make $0 right now

same

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

nah im not saying i'm special at all, i'm saying the opposite

i am an undegreed piece of poo poo that has job hopped left and right to make every one of those pay raises

also i live in a 90% mexican neighborhood and am fully aware that every one of them works harder than I do so do not even try the racist tip on me, i ride farther back on the bus than most of you would even look

now you're bragging about riding in the back of the bus with the cool kids? shameful

unless you're on the wheel humps in the back then i'm sorry

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i hope both of you boring idiots get permabanned

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

compost toilets are really good and don't even smell if used properly

that setup is trash though

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

fits my needs posted:

best place to camp is the african bush. especially if you have a canadian doctor in your group.
it's pretty cool

just watch out for snakes and cats and hippos and crocs

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

if you dropped something from nominal denver elevation it would hit the highest point in new jersey after 14.7 seconds of free fall

don't ignore air friction, thank you

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

to what end? so they could be the only u.s. state that's completely underwater?

there ain't nothin' in heaven or earth that'll save miami
God will save the south, just you wait!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

we are going to see court cases where rich people are given airspace rights to the moon above their skyscraper, and poor people are denied airspace rights and have to deal with drones buzzing around 5 feet over the rooftops
i hope those drones don't happen to come within reach because i would love to steal them

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

sonatinas posted:

Tito's though is a decent vodka.

for sure

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

heh yeah city is great

almost as great as local chat

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ugh, trigger warning please

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

reminder: when carly fiorina left hp, the stock jumped such that the market cap value of hp went up by a few billion dollars

the stock market literally valued carly fiorina's leadership at negative three billion dollars

negative potential is still potential!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

fits my needs posted:

i like how she's trying to sell herself as someone that rose from a "secretary" to becoming a top ceo in america. yeah i bet her father being a loving judge and her going to stanford to major in philosophy and medieval literature (really? and she's still this conservative) didn't give her a step up at all.
don't stomp on the face of the american dream, terrorist

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

and thats the death of anyone, ever, trying it again even if they changed the rules.

:patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

As a Millennial I posted:

what the heck is whatsapp

16 billion united states dollars

• Locked thread