Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rotor posted:

the tech bubble is the best way I've found to funnel money away from the super-wealthy and into my pocket. long live the tech bubble.

same, but I need it to keep going for a little while longer because I'm not done funneling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Smythe posted:

this can't be a real question... can it?

everyone in San Francisco is a terrible person when it comes to real estate.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if the San Francisco Secret feed is to be believed you can have a guy over to your place to suck your dick within five minutes at any time of the day (if you pretend to be straight)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
stop thinking like libertarians. judges know why hotels exist. even if there aren't specific laws, a judge will tell you that when you checked into a hotel, you had no expectation of establishing residency so get the gently caress out. this isn't one weird trick to live at the W

meanwhile airbnb is definitely not a hotel so lol if the owner thinks they get the same protection.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm the management majordomo

actually i'm the management, capisce?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

who's playing in the dustbowl this year?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Necc0 posted:

i forget when that article was written vs. the murdoch takeover vs. when the paper went to poo poo but smart money people don't read the wsj anymore and view it as a rag

what do smart money people read?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my car is new and fast and luxurious and makes goons mad.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

is the real enemy girls

i bet it's girls

gross

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

someone post a plausible chain of consequences leading from brexit to popping the tech bubble. i'm edging here

stock market opens two hours from now down 3-5%, will stay low for a while. people who planned on cashing out to buy their $2 million San Francisco condo get nervous and the real estate market stalls. companies that are powered by stock based compensation (Uber, tesla, LinkedIn (lol @ Microsoft)) have a real problem when their stock stops growing. advertisers cut back on negative economic sentiment, causing Google and Facebook revenue growth to slow significantly, leading to their stock prices taking a big hit. dollar becoming even stronger, hurting Apple and Microsoft profits. all techs decline on sector pessimism. venture capital dries up, startups begin to fold. real estate is now declining in value, and some people holding mortgages on million dollar houses are losing their jobs and unable to find new ones, leading to short sales.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
speaking of which holy poo poo today is going to be a bad day due to British people being dumb.

RIP my stock grants

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bhodi posted:

lmao not even close

it opened down 3.5% so :shrug:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
yeah, I don't really believe in a significant decline in real estate prices in the Bay Area. plus it's amazing how many people I talk to that are "waiting for the bubble to burst" to buy, not realizing they are all competing with each other to keep the price high and are still all behind cash-only Chinese investors in their purchasing power

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mishaq posted:

lol if you want to stay in the bay area long term

the Bay Area is a shithole and I would love to move out but jobs and I already own a house so,

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it would be funny if we suddenly had a law like mexico does where only citizens can own property

we should definitely strive to emulate the successful fiscal policies of Mexico

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mishaq posted:

your job, your coworkers, and your life is poo poo

YJCLPOS

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in california the state specifies the lifecycle for stuff like carpet and wall paint in the rental law which landlords are held accountable for

exactly. if you did not do abnormal damage beyond the normal wear and tear of living in the place then you are legally entitled to your full deposit plus a cash deposit rate of interest accumulated annually (which is almost nothing). rear end in a top hat landlords try to take your money when you leave counting on the fact that you don't know this.

also rent control means that once a tenant is in place, a landlord will do the absolute minimum legally required in maintenance and let the place go to poo poo until that tenant moves out.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
people have rights to homes. they don't have rights to homes in desirable neighborhoods.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
upper deck of 747 rules.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

while tesla likes to point out how few parts they still have in common the model s very much started life as a successive modification of the lotus elise though

overall body frame, front suspension and steering, dash and such remain very much the same also

lol, no.

the tesla roadster was based on the elise.

the model s is a completely different car.

edit: wow, looking at the chassis they are actually very similar.

The Management fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 3, 2016

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sagebrush posted:

wealthy kids "starting a company" on their parents' dime is just the latest hottest version of "studying abroad at oxford" or "getting an internship with the senator" or w/e

i.e., it's an apparently productive enterprise that actually won't result in anything of value, but which lets the kid schmooze with the other wealthy families and create the networks that will set them up for life

experience running a business is of no value.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

the 80's are now thoroughly within the time period considered "antique"

the oldies station my mom listened to since I was a kid, which used to play 50's rock n roll now plays 80's pop. it has never changed format

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jonny 290 posted:

what i dont understand is why a bunch of people that make 200-400 thousand dollars a year hang out in here

christ
there's so much more you can do with your life and you have so much more liberty
you can take vacations and see things
you can _shop_ for houses instead of desperately hunting
what the gently caress are you doing in this forum

I am literally vacationing on cape cod right now, resting in my vacation rental after a long day at the beach before we go see some fireworks. I already own a house in the Bay Area and I finished reading all of Twitter, and I'm not looking at work email so yosposting seems like a good waste of my time.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
apparently you guys aren't clued in to how Bay Area million dollar homes are bought. nobody making six and a half figgies is taking out a mortgage on most of a $1.6 million house. they wait until their stock options vest / mature / rise enough in value, then they cash out about a million dollars, and take out a mortgage on what's left, which is totally manageable with their computer toucher salary.

which brings me to my other point, which is that many people's compensation is far larger than their base salary, especially if they work for a company whose stock price is rising. saying someone makes $150k in SF can be misleading because that person is getting stock at some vesting schedule. in the short term they're pretty broke but after a few years of pipelining stock grants on overlapping vesting schedules, their takehome total gets much higher.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

also aren't most stock grants worthless in the bay area. oh boy you have a zillion unsellable shares in your startup, good for you

I mean stock grants in real, public companies (options and RSUs), not worthless startup junk. the housing prices spiked when Facebook IPO shares got unlocked.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Trabisnikof posted:

You can sign away your rights to sue, especially if you get paid in return. This is commonly used to shut down wage discrimination cases.

you cannot sign away your right to sue on discrimination charges for federally protected classes. no contract can supersede these. arbitration agreements are not enforceable in these cases.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Progressive JPEG posted:

Yeah so the prices are held up by a low volume of buyers who are getting $1m cash outs

those and chinese investors trying to get their money out of China. and that volume is not so low. there is a huge number of nerds in the valley and SF holding 7 figures in company stock.

basically the Bay Area is a machine for moving billions of dollars from employee stock based compensation into the pockets of long-time home owners.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the last couple of years buyers have been competing with all cash, no inspection offers from Chinese buyers. it's really bad now. in some areas prices are up 100% in 5 years. totally not a bubble, though.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
oh look, a bunch of poor itinerate renters want to raise taxes on home owners. I wonder if their opinion will change when they own a home.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Godspeed You! Black Conservative posted:

sf six figgy fucktards, is the goog office on market st. doing anything interesting? recruiter keeps hounding me and my usual "I don't wanna commute to X" excuse was met with "well actually we do have an office in the city". should I stay away from the ball pit?

I'm not a googler but my understanding is that if you're willing to commute a few days a month down to mountain view, you can work on anything they do there from a remote office. unless you work on hardware, that is.

of course, never trust anything a recruiter promises you. ask the hiring manager.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

disrupting roads

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
remember when we got motion sensing consoles and now everyone is using their Kinect* or wiimote or PlayStation whatever with all of their games?

* also remember that Kinect is named that as a tie-in with the Microsoft Kin disaster phone

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

SO DEMANDING posted:

lmfao, great to see amazon isnt the only guilty of this. what the gently caress is wrong with these goddamn companies. let's buy more foosball tables before having adequate loving bathrooms

please post more gross details of the googleplex

take a building designed for offices. knock down all walls, cram engineers into maximum density open floor plan. suddenly there's not nearly enough parking, bathrooms are way over capacity, no one can get a meeting space, and productivity goes to poo poo because it's loud and distracting ("you can just use headphones if you need to concentrate"). company saves a few grand a year per six figgie employee while knocking their productivity down and wasting their time looking for parking and walking around the building looking for a free toilet, but on the books it's definitely a win.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
"it feels like a startup"

"we like the team to be together to encourage communication "

"offices block collaboration"

the motherfucking MYTHICAL MAN MONTH debunks all this bullshit with real data.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i think vr will not flame out, but it probably won't be a blockbuster every-game-has-it deal. the hardcores are gonna buy it because they think its cool and theres enough games out there that are popular with that crowd that have crossover with the casual crowd (skyrim, fallout, doom, etc) that the devs will support it in those games and some casual players will pick up vr stuff on sale to play with it. i imagine a lot of people would be really into immersive tactilol sniper action in blops or whatever too.

not every game lends itself to vr, and i imagine devs will only target vr when the game is suitable to it and is likely to capture a lot of the hardcore audience.

also, with beefy enough hardware your video card can tack 3d onto poo poo right now (i remember toying with bioshock using cyan-red anaglyph glasses) so there's also the potential to use hardware/driver support in the future to at least use vr hardware to do more immersive 3d effects on games that don't do all the fancy motion tracking and eye tracking and poo poo.

there are a billion teenagers out there who would like nothing more than to find a better way to detach from their family during their waking hours. they are currently staring at a video game screen or phone, but goggles that block out everything else are an even better solution

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol this article reminded me of carol bartz. I forgot about her and how bad she was.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
credit card cash back is a system designed to move credit card fees from poor people to rich people.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bhodi posted:

except that rich people take advantage of the cash back as well? and have larger volume than the poor so, similar to the mortgage deduction the lion's share still goes to rich people?

plus, to offset the cash back, CC fees increase across the board which are disproportionately borne by the poor

you misunderstood my post. the money the poors pay in fees goes into the pockets of the rich that get cash back. people with bad credit don't get cash back cards.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qntm posted:

oh right, that was slightly ambiguously phrased :shobon:

yeah sorry about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ShadowHawk posted:

remember folks, it is illegal to sublet your apartment because it violates your lease, just like how it's illegal to hang a painting using nails

"minor cosmetic damage is the same as literally handing over control of someone else's property to a person they have not approved of"

• Locked thread