Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

now where's that articles about how amazon is filling downtown seatlle with lovely undateable techbros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the only people who should never know how much money I make is my family

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bloody posted:

this but friends in non-tech fields. "yeah my friend james became a teacher and he's making a TON of money" "yeah?" "yeah he said like 45k"

:rip:

I think some coder people I know would be mad that I make as much as I do for "just" doing design

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Syncopated posted:

do not steal my posts.

he's just aggregating them

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

If I had a lawn, I'd be yelling at kids 24/7

stop waiting in line for stuff you idiots! :argh:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

well people seem think all this free food, shuttles, laundry, ball pits and the like isn't coming out of the same budget

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I remember telling a tourist about pet resumes and they thought I was joking

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my school was where rich kids went to grow dreadlocks and experiment a lot so there weren't many overt displays of wealth

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd love a reject guide dog, there's a guy in my building who helps train them to be in offices but you're not supposed to say hi or pet them :(

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the last dog office I was in there was the one good chill dog who was quiet and old and he'd sniff around under your desk occasionally and you'd pet him but 95% of the time he was sleeping and all was good

then my boss at the time got a "jackerdoodle" [jack russell/poodle mix] puppy and it was the worst, in addition to it barking and being a spaz it would constantly harass the old chill dog and pick fights with it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Los Angeles and San Francisco are suing ride-sharing startup Uber for making misleading statements and breaking California law, the latest in a series of setbacks for the company. In a statement, the two cities' district attorneys say that Uber misled passengers about the effectiveness of its background checks, misrepresented fees for safety checks and airport tolls, operated in airports without permission, and did not get state approval for the system it used to calculate pricing.

"Uber has refused to comply with straightforward California laws that protect consumers from fraud and harm," said district attorneys George Gascón and Jackie Lacey. "These companies can be innovative in the way they deliver services without ignoring the laws that protect the public."

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fired for trying [unsuccessfully] to get a 17% discount what a loving world

e: also lol real employees only get a 17% discount

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had to go to atlanta for a work thing and was creeped out by how much "the help" attitude was prevalent

also mall security guards with guns and smokey bear hats

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

daft punk railroad posted:

Uber is facing stiff competition from Bangbus

if you're going to break laws might as well break a whole bunch of them at the same time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

$200/month isn't exactly exclusive, the olympic club is like 10k just to join then $3k+/year and they have like 5000 members

plus they have a sweet gym and golf course

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think pretty much anything built after the '70s could stand up to a 6.7 or 7, the 1989 quake got rid of most of the ones that couldn't

something over 8 could still mess things up pretty bad though [glad my building is reinforced concrete built on bedrock]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

hey whatever you gotta tell yourself to get some sleep at night, right?

an earthquake could scare away some of the shitheads and I might have a chance at buying a place

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fabricated posted:

also to drive out all of the remaining poors that might have still been able to make property taxes on houses that have been in their family for years
they're already gone

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oh there's no way I could afford an actual lot

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Seattle police are searching for explosives at Amazon’s headquarters after a threatening letter was found at one of the company’s buildings just north of the city’s downtown district, authorities said on Monday.

Amazon building security contacted Seattle police at 10:30 am after staff found a note inside a bathroom at one of the buildings that make up Amazon’s sprawling headquarters, police said, without disclosing the contents of the note.

The exact building was not identified, but police said it was on the 400 block of Terry Avenue North, where the most prominent Amazon buildings are located.

Police said some employees had been evacuated while arson and bomb squad teams, along with explosive detection dog teams, searched the area.

Amazon did not return calls seeking comment.

According to Seattle tech news site GeekWire, citing sources close to the situation, Amazon’s Day 1 South building was closed because of the threat and some employees had returned home to work.

Day 1 South is at the center of Amazon’s headquarters in the South Lake Union neighborhood. The online retailer and cloud computing company is the biggest employer in the area, with thousands of staff in several buildings.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

prefect posted:

how is oakland weathering the gentrification wave?

housing prices have doubled in the last 2 years but that's an average, everywhere within a 1/2 mile of a bart station is waaaay up

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

lol

why dont you guys just convince your bosses to let you wfh and then you can mob up in peoria or somewhere cheap

there's semi-serious talk of a portland satellite office

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

if you are a bay startup and make your people work in the bay you are no better than walmart, who mandates that all their executives live in bentonville

you're in jail too, you'rre just paying 8x per square foot

nah I have rent control so I'm square in the gently caress you got mine class

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i would probably stomp on a puppy for rent control around here at rates like two years ago
been in my place for 9 years, kind of expecting a buyout offer [I think there's only two other people in my building who've been here longer but it's going to have to be a shitload for me to not instantly turn it down]

Jonny 290 posted:

lol u live in the projects?
nob hill :smuggo:

well, lower nob hill

actually "tendernob"

swear it's not the tenderloin though, junkies don't like climbing hills

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hah i just helped my buddy move there - he's payin (i think) $1600 for a room in a 3BR with two other roommates, one of which also has a dog

I'm paying less than that for a 1br in a good building

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bassguitarhero posted:

the whole area around UCSF, mostly the inner sunset, is starting to get a lot of notice precisely because it was mostly untouched by the gentrification hitting all the other major SF hoods. so of course everybody is trying to move to the inner sunset as a result

well the main thing about almost everywhere west of Van Ness is the 40 foot height limit which assures density will never increase appreciably ever

I lived on 9th near Judah for 5 years, it was a great neighborhood [eat at nanking road bistro]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

22 story office building going up on our block this week. yall are some redneck motherfuckers

this is why you hear about the mission, SOMA, potrero, dogpatch, etc. because almost all the new construction is in those areas, like every new person in the city lives in like 4 neighborhoods

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Do you have too many friends? Do you absolutely hate when someone wants to hang out with you? Are you the kind of person who is far too important to field a text from each individual friend and would simply like to put a big "Do Not Disturb" sign on your life? Well get excited, because your new favorite app just hit the iPhone and it's ready to tell all your annoying acquaintances to bark up someone else's social tree. It's called Red/Green, and it's the quickest way to feel super important.

The idea here is that you'll adopt a very binary way of approaching your social availability. No more "Anyone want to hang out later?" or "Let's go to the movies tomorrow" for you. It's all about the here and now. When you're busy -- which is all the time because you're awesome and super important -- you switch your status to red, which means "Go away I'm too busy for your weird friendship stuff." However, on the off chance that you're not jet-setting or taking your significant other (who is a model and also a movie star) out for dinner, you can set your status to green, to signal all your inadequate friends to come running like sheep to slaughter.

Oh, you're on the outs with certain people in your social circle? No worries, because Red/Green lets you keep those grudges going by allowing only certain people to see that you're available for friendly interactions, while the rest of the plebeians will be given a big middle finger. Isn't the future wonderful?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sold sight unseen

that particular property, they demand that you put down the full purchase price without seeing a drat thing. not even a tour of the construction sight. nothing

I imagine most of those are sold unfinished, the $30 million penthouse in the millenium tower in SF did since they assumed [probably correctly] that whoever bought it would want the whole inside to exactly their specifications

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

theflyingexecutive posted:

agagagahghahaga why are holding companies for personal wealth legal I'm so mad about this always

why do you hate job creators

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Elder Postsman posted:

what in the

where do u eat dinner

my niece actually asked me this, she was really confused when she saw I don't have a dining table

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Share Bear posted:

re: ostentatious real estate, the rouble is collapsing as we speak so maybe those 8 figure apartments will actually host human beings sometimes soon

no that probably just means the pace of buying will accelerate

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

tom's of finland shoes
:raise:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

chlorinating water is one of the single greatest life-saving ideas of all time

e: watch How We Got to Now, it's like an updated, slightly worse take on connections [which is still the best]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

only narrowly beaten out by the idea of pipes taking your poop away underground

yes, what you do is the most important thing in the word *pats on head*

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

Plummeting through an Instagram hashtag wormhole, we stumbled across this four-day-old photo of, the photographer says, the home of a Palo Alto resident who "trucked in snow for her holiday party last night."
"Oh, Marissa," one commenter to the photo responds. Perhaps an implication that the snow-baller is Yahoo CEO/Scathing Profile Subject Marissa Mayer, who owns multiple properties in Palo Alto?
It almost doesn't matter. (Almost.) The fact is, on the same week that Palo Alto got inches upon inches of rain, someone still decked their halls with a shitton of snow, then, as if that weren't enough, arranged a bunch of white-upholstered couches outside, elements be damned. That's some serious chutzpah.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

JewKiller 3000 posted:

lol if you think marissa did any of the work of setting up that party, aside from pointing at things and saying "yes" or "no", which is what she does all day at her job too. so i guess if you find that exhausting then sure who needs a billion dollars anyway

I don't think that was her party anyway, her main place is a penthouse in downtown sf

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in non-tech [but still] bubble news

quote:

The nation’s biggest life insurer by assets is weighing a legal showdown with the U.S. after a panel of regulators concluded it poses significant risks to the financial system and warrants tougher oversight.

MetLife Inc. said in a statement it is “disappointed” by the ruling from the Financial Stability Oversight Council and believes it has presented “substantial and compelling evidence” that any future financial problem wouldn’t jolt the U.S. economy during a time of stress.

MetLife is the fourth nonbank financial firm to be designated as “systemically important” by U.S. regulators, joining rival insurers American International Group Inc., Prudential Financial Inc. and General Electric Co. ’s finance arm. The label means the company will be subject to an additional level of federal regulation that could hinder its ability to raise dividends or buy back shares.

MetLife officials are increasingly comfortable with the idea of suing regulators, the people said, but the company stopped short in the release of saying it would proceed with a legal challenge. It noted that the law gives it 30 days to seek a judicial review, and said it would “carefully review the designation rationale”—a thick document provided by the panel to explain its reasoning-—as it considers such a step.

That review is expected to take a matter of days as lawyers examine hundreds of pages that outline FSOC’s decision. MetLife previously argued to U.S. regulators that it doesn’t require tougher oversight because it already has enough of a capital cushion under state regulations.

“Singling out” certain companies for U.S. scrutiny “will harm competition” and “lead to higher prices” for consumers, MetLife said in the statement Thursday. MetLife said it supports rules regulating the use of risky products or financial maneuvers, as opposed to heightened oversight for certain companies within the industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bassguitarhero posted:

all those kidnapped nigerian girls could use the OLPC laptops to post help messages to Facebook
I think the primary use people found for it in early field testing was using it as a lamp

• Locked thread