Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

born on a buy you posted:

if you haven't been around for at least 4 Tori gimmick :frogout: imo

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

this made me nod sagely

I don't think you realize how privileged you are.

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Looks like the most susceptible areas are the mission district and the Oracle complex in redwood city

Larry no

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the densest metro in america is LA. there are very few tall buildings in LA or the surrounding communities. what they do have is miles and miles and miles of ugly 3- and 4-family houses ("dingbats") separated by strips of apartment blocks.

the problem in san francisco isn't that they haven't built high enough in the densest urban core (i think one transamerica pyramid is quite enough thank you). it's that they won't knock over the garbage detached homes in the presidio or the painted ladies or all the idiot 1950s garbage in palo alto

SF and the bay could stand to look a lot more like LA if they ever want to see middle class families living comfortably again

Ha, my community is nearly twice as dense as LA, suck my dick Californifailures

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dormont,_Pennsylvania)

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

when i was a kid we had some family friends in nyc who lived in a 1br. they had a living room, a kitchen, the bedroom, and a bathroom. the dad and the son slept on separate beds in the bedroom, which was basically just the kid's room except at night, and the mom slept on a pull out couch in the living room.

to answer the immediate question, i have no idea

I grew up in a family with eight kids and two adults in a 1280 square foot 3br 1ba rented duplex.

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the central business district of your lovely small town is denser. the metro area is not.

Oh yeah, it's not a lovely small town, it's a separate community carved out of the middle of Pittsburgh for some reason. Makes no sense.

Apr 7, 2003

theadder posted:

im the plate

you're quite the dish!

Apr 7, 2003

BONGHITZ posted:

what are you gonna do when we run out of pussy?

who would want to live in such a world, anyway?

Apr 7, 2003

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

it seems stymie has passed the torch to sagebrush in recent weeks

Stymie is right though.

Apr 7, 2003

Condiv posted:

stymie's never right

don't quote or compliment anime dog tits

Stymie has actually never been wrong about anything as far as I remember.

Apr 7, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

also because it was already scheduled to have the two oldest reactors fully replaced in 2013 and 2014 respectively

The first nuclear power plant in the world was right outside Pittsburgh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shippingport_Atomic_Power_Station

We also made all the reactors for Navy nukes at Bettis Laboratories.

Apr 7, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

i've always said that stymie is right, but in the wrong way or for the wrong reasons

but lately he's just been plain right. it's eerie.

Stay safe, Stymie. Being right all the time is a burden I know all too ell.

Apr 7, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

The first nuclear power plant in the world was right outside Pittsburgh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shippingport_Atomic_Power_Station

We also made all the reactors for Navy nukes at Bettis Laboratories.

Its final core was an experimental, light water moderated, thermal breeder reactor and is notable for its ability to transmute (inexpensive) thorium to uranium-233 (the latter being the fissile material that fueled the reaction within the reactor core).[4] The reactor was capable of an output of 60 MWe.

hahahhaha

That plant still has two active reactors but they're PWRs.

Apr 7, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

I'm more amazed by the fact that any mechanical thing can rotate a metal shaft with 1 gigawatt of power

I'm guessing a gigawatt nuclear plant has multiple turbine+generator pairs or something

how the hell does that even work, like how do the turbine blades not get blasted off their welds? that's some serious loving torque, what with an entire Manhattan's worth of electrical load pushing back on the generator

lol

Apr 7, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

I'mma guess the blades and rotors are milled out of solid blocks of titanium or whatever rather than welded together

Those rotors certainly aren't old.

Apr 7, 2003

Metrication posted:

50km from amersham takes you all the way to kidbrooke, are you sure that's what you mean when you said london proper

haha nice goofy made up place names

Apr 7, 2003

mods, please change my name to Elon's Musk. thanks.

Apr 7, 2003

Spime Wrangler posted:

i rode the shanghai maglev. it was pretty ownage. 400kph is no joke, especially when passing 3 feet from a train going 400kph in the other direction

the joke is that the line ends in the middle of nowhere and is basically just a really fast leg of the subway system, which you have to take anyways to get from the airport (one end of the maglev) into town (like 10km past where the maglev ends)

it likewise ends 20km short of reaching the proposed station at other airport and 200km short of the intended destination of hangzhou, which is instead served by standard highspeed rail (that still does 350-400+ kph).

It's pretty cool how we're up our own asses about how great we are in the USA while stuff like this is being done elsewhere.

(Over $500b of that $1.1t appropriations bill to keep the government running was for the military. lol!)

Apr 7, 2003

Bloody posted:

holy poo poo piss i want that veridian dynamics gangtag

lol, I bet you do

Apr 7, 2003

Menacer posted:

how the gently caress did this become train chat again

what the gently caress you goofs

shut the gently caress up and get out.

Apr 7, 2003

This train chat thread probably isn't for you, please return to ADTRW.

Apr 7, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

if you assosciate menacer with anime it is you who is the adtrw

don't sign your posts! lol

Apr 7, 2003

EVGA Longoria posted:

it's pretty ridiculous to say that instead of saying sexual harassment you should lie about why you left

basically, tell the truth. if they think it's a problem they were a poo poo company in the first place

True story: They're all poo poo companies

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah you should be completely honest with everyone all the time

by all means, when the cashier asks you about how your day is going, tell her about your hemorrhoids

I may not have read your posts that day though?

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

can u imagine a 260 year old donald trump haha

it owns that donald trump has been a massive failure his entire life but is still rich

Apr 7, 2003

always use exclamation points in all correspondence, so they know you're serious and enthusiastic.

Apr 7, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

what school, Ivey? they've been around forever be they like to present themselves as "the" Canadian business school. lots of alumni like to think of it as the Canadian Wharton or Harvard business school.

ahahaha the canadian inferiority complex is amazing

Apr 7, 2003

FamDav posted:

god bless the steelers for being just an amazing team over the years, but my favorite historical fact is that the only reason they dont suck is because they took 3 million from the league to cross over into the AFC. before that they had (and still have problem) the record for worst season ever.

Steelers aren't even on the top ten for that

Apr 7, 2003

Bloody posted:

the steelers are funy footbal because ben rapistburger is a rapist.

No he isn't.

Apr 7, 2003

bassguitarhero posted:

it isn't about getting mad at the computer for being rude so much as a bunch of tone-deaf coders who are trying to create a one-size fits all approach to their user base because they're thinking of Facebook users as walking collections of data and not millions of individual human beings, some of whom may have had a terrible year

Apr 7, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

it's also the best place in pittsburgh

Pittsburgh is actually really good.

Apr 7, 2003

Yes it is.

Apr 7, 2003

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

guy who owns burgerpriest is a huge homophobe tho :(

thankfully theres another good burg place in toronto and its up the street from my gym so i can go there and get this after

You would literally be better off in every way just eating a Big Mac.

Apr 7, 2003

It's way too much meat for a Big Mac. A Big Mac is much better for you, all around.

Apr 7, 2003

As a Millennial I posted:

plz post ur cholesterol levels

*vegeta voice* its over nine thousand!

Apr 7, 2003

kalstrams posted:

Total cholesterol: 4.07 mmol/L
High density cholesterol: 1.27 mmol/L
Non-ABL cholesterol: 2.80 mmol/L
Low density cholesterol: 2.21 mmol/L

lmao

Apr 7, 2003

Total dicks: 100%

Apr 7, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

i have no idea why my cholesterol is but my bp is 90/47.

:rip:

Apr 7, 2003

As a Millennial I posted:

these burger derails are indeed a bit ridiculous

"I'm a normal guy because I like hamburgers/Kentucky bourbon/etc, see, but I'm more than a normal person because I only like very special, artisanal versions of those things," the YOSPOS Food Yuppie smugly proclaimed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Bloody posted:

okay realtalk rochester, NY is the king of burgers. so many fuckin lil local burger places. and we have and invented garbage plates, a burger-based meal that is vastly more than the sum of its parts. thanks, nick tahou.

I found a garbage plate, it's got your post on it

• Locked thread