Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Citizen Tayne posted:

Europeans are taller than Americans on average, but seem to have no problem with them.

it baffles the sales people too

guess I have a weird torso:leg ratio :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

yeah lol I have no idea how big that thing is but I probably should have said '"back"'

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

computer parts posted:

that's like that really ugly subaru

all of them?!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

actually it looks like the old avalanche to me

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

hobbesmaster posted:

lol thats literally illegal

quote:

2Ivan[S] 6 points 2 hours ago

Unfortunately that's not entirely true (see http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...907dcedff66646e). There is an exception for private sector services for the production of commodities.

apparently not

'murica bithc

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/26/7878239/comcast-twc-fcc-merger-letters-politicians-ghostwritten

quote:

Neither Wood nor anyone representing Roswell’s residents wrote his letter to the FCC. Instead, a vice president of external affairs at Comcast authored the missive word for word in Mayor Wood's voice.

crapcastic

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

it's basically a replacement for long-term memory of interactions with people so I'm guessing it's for people with brain injuries or who get blackout drunk all the loving time

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Nintendo Kid posted:

im the uber driver whose car has no working power ports in it

gotta keep the stun gun charged

priorities man

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I think it'll pick back up once the EU realizes they need to turn their QE up to 11 :(

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Elder Postsman posted:

well. maybe not. that would still be p cold on those -10 F days

idk how you get any traction in a miata even with winter tires

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

hobbesmaster posted:

it's better than empty rwd pickups

engine in a pickup is probably big enough that if you throw 2-300 pounds of sand in the back you wouldn't notice tho

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

duTrieux. posted:

shut the gently caress up about watches

whats this about watches?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

qntm posted:

how is it even possible to be pirating WinZip now

I heard my boss griping about a contractor who bought WinZip and expensed it to the company the other year like "welp he billed us to download WinZip and use it - gently caress that guy"

this is in a modern windows environment where you can just double-click on a zip file and it'll open no problem

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

in 2009 7-zips ui was so bad I went and bought winrar and have not looked back

is it less totaly poo poo now?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Nintendo Kid posted:

what malignant brain tumor did you have that caused you to think winrar had a good ui.

didn't say it was good but it wasn't nearly as broken and lovely as the windows 7z

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

haha the latest stable version of 7z is from 2010 so Imma assume it's still lovely to use and just not bother

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

not all of us develop stockholm syndrome for bad open sores uis

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

don't actually remember what all I hated about it because it was more than five years ago but apparently it hasn't changed since then so I don't give a poo poo

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

holy poo poo the doublethink

I got this the other day because I used uber once:

quote:

Ridesharing helps make cities safer. A new study we conducted with Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) shows just how powerful choice can be

uber and madd: two lovely organizations that can be poo poo together

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Lamont Cranston posted:

not by listening to it apparently

also I'm cool with artists getting in on the audiophile idiot money fountain - they deserve it more than the fuckers rebranding sweatshop junk or selling magic rocks

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Necc0 posted:

I'm 27 and can still hear that loving whine tube tvs emit. they told me it'd go away eventually :mad:

the heck do you go that you're still around tube tvs?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I'm sure the tos say no cops allowed and you know if that's in there they can't use it duh

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

concert violin

restaurants are a way better comparison imo

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

restaurants are achieving outstanding productivity gains. the number of covers is essentially fixed per seat, so the gains come in the form of labor reductions instead of output increases.

more and more components are made off-site. some casual dining restaurants literally do not have anyone who cooks at all. dishes are assembled from par-cooked components and passed through a conveyor belt to apply the necessary heat

there's a reason that fine dining is moving towards seasonal ingredients, local ingredients and "tasting menus" designed daily/weekly. all three trends are ways to demonstrate that you are avoiding centralized preparation and unskilled assembly in the kitchen

five years from now, your local casual dining outlet might have literally two people per shift, down from a staff of dozens.

I guess I should have specified real restaurants not the gussied up fast food joints that pretend to be restaurants but at least can sell alcohol

of course even the real ones would still have escaped some of the cost increases since real wages for unskilled labor have fallen even faster than everyone else's since the 70s which would also make the ingredients cheaper so yeah maybe it's not a great example but it's something more people will have some experience with than classical violin

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

http://www.er-doctor.com/doctor_income.html and that assumes you only go 100k into debt which well lol I guess your parents were pretty well off then

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

reducing error rates isn't going to get us the orders of magnitude improvements we see in other fields. it's just not. if doctors went from spending four hours a day on their prior errors, to 0 hours a day, that would still only be a 2-fold improvement. not 10-fold. not 100-fold.

it is categorically different from other things in society. more concert violin, less factory worker.

oh I forgot to mention have you heard of IBM's Watson™ :smuggo:

it's cancer!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

hobbesmaster posted:

you can't get a job as a ups driver at 18 though, the numbers are a bit bad all around

its also illegal for a UPS driver to work as many hours as a doctor in his 3rd/4th column

I think it also ignores that you need to byo truck driving license for which you'll have to take classes of some sort

where do you see a minimum age? pretty sure a friend of mines dad got in right after high school and retired at the ripe old age of 53

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"expert systems" for medicine were hyped just as hard in the 1980s. medicine was supposed to be de-skilled by the AI revolution. funny how that turned out

all the AI vendors went broke

:thejoke:

I thought the spoiler would give it away

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ok if we're gonna lf-post, let's get real:

social security and medicare should be means-tested programs

and the tax liability should be un-capped

sorry we're busy pretending that ss is a retirement account and not the direct wealth transfer it really is so

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

back when they used to talk about making ss into an actual honest-to-god retirement account, i was never sure whether they actually believed in the policy, or just wanted to bankrupt the government

it's both lol

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Subjunctive posted:

sure, but what will they do to the drivers?

hook up their junk instead to keep the leads free of their arms while driving

safety first

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

FMguru posted:

i didnt think it would ever happen but my opinion of oracle just went up

ruby idiot railed posted:

and EA

my world is upside down

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Elder Postsman posted:

welcome to beautiful houston, texas

I can actually feel the heat radiating off of all that pavement across the time and space mercifully separating me from it

also it's pronounced house-ton, teyhas

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

graph posted:

can u even imagine what would have happened if that second hurricane would have made landfall on louisiana

the forums would have been lost at sea

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

graph posted:

has richard moved the servers to somewhere that is above sealevel

dunno

maybe if he manages to keep a competent employee around ahahahah

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i still remember that running commentary from the lone guy left at the datacenter, talking about how the support guys for the building generator were coaching him on how to run the generator continuously, about what the streets looked like.

it's still up if anyone wants to relive the magic http://interdictor.livejournal.com/2005/08/27/

quote:

Hmm. This could actually be a nasty storm.

lol

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Subjunctive posted:

is that true for non-federal tax? I honestly don't know where CA's tax portions go, and I'm a little afraid to look.

the states mainly just throw brown people in prison except for red state shitholes that still murder their citizens occasionally

and grudgingly build roads if they can find some spare change I guess

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

qirex posted:

when you work for a big boring company some vp reads a fast company article on the can and talks their boss into giving a couple mil in budget for a "bold ideas" team unencumbered by traditional bureaucracy, typically they get about 40% into designing an actual product when the plug is pulled or it's folded into the typical development hell of the larger org and comes out the same as a normal project but with way more churn and expense

intentional shadow IT

got it

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

just got around to watching silicon valley and I'm wondering if java really is that common in startups out there or whether that's the big language the writers have actually heard of

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

qirex posted:

startups should write stuff in java because then when it fails they'll be able to get jobs at real companies

v good point

guess I assumed they're all plang hipsters because why not if you're gonna greenfield your artisanal health and safety violation enabler but you're never gonna hit 10x if you don't know your tools inside and out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

matters*

*"matters"

• Locked thread