Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Blodget peppered Bezos with questions about why Amazon is “famously frugal” and doesn’t match the type of employee perks that other high-profile tech companies offer — there are no free lunches at Amazon cafeterias, for example, and the cash components of employee salaries are often well below those of top competitors.

Bezos argued that Amazon has its own “very significant benefits.” One is Amazon’s location in the city of Seattle, instead of a suburban campus. That allows 20 percent of employees to walk to work.

Then there are the food trucks. “We have an unbelievable food truck scene around our headquarters,” he said. “It’s out of control, actually.” Amazon also allows employees to bring their dogs to work. But the real showstopper may be office windows that open, Bezos said. You read that right.

“People, it turns out, really like fresh air,” he said. Take that, Google!

My body is ready Bezoz :goatsecx:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

pointers posted:

reading about interviewing for tech jobs (http://lizmrush.com/on-interviewing/ thanks to tef's blog for the link) and wondering how the gently caress you would address something like 'i left this position because my manager hit on me' or 'i left this position because it was near impossible to be productive when my only coworker didnt take me seriously as a woman'
not that i really want to go back into computers but lol how do you even address that without raising "red flags" for being 'over-sensitive' or something like that

if you think it's going to be a problem just give the standard we had different goals excuse for leaving and leave it at that

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Broken Machine posted:

Judging by the Spanish it's probably not in the US, likely Mexico

we're on the cutting edge of new ways to denigrate women.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

i, for one, think people of all races and creeds should stop hating on each other and/or killing each other for differences in races/creeds

but that is pretty radical

i think there are too many people on this planet so finding any excuse to kill each other is acceptable

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Maximum Leader posted:

hmm this sales man seemed completely in love with the product he was pushing
what a strange man

they still creep me out

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

same idea, different topic

e: I just realized that means you need a place to wait with your car for the 7 minutes or whatever it takes for the person to get there, like a "space" to "park" it in temporarily

True but my coworker at amazon says they have a bunch of dudes just hanging outside the offices so they are there in 10 seconds lol

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

duTrieux. posted:

i don't know who's worse at targeted ads, ea origin or spotify

in origin, i'll get ads and recommendations for games that i've literally just finished playing

spotify seems to think that i'm a middle-aged woman with diabetes who wants to buy a bmw

who doesn't want a beemer?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

TheMadMilkman posted:

most kids know how to google something and then copy and paste it to their own page.

which is more than I can say for anyone in my parents generation

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

ANAmal.net posted:

lmao grindr

shoulda just called themselves footlng

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

come to mexico for the real experience

Came to post this are you my replacement. 15 years in the pos and this is how they tell me

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

lmao at those HOA fees

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
Lol Americans are such babies. I was at a party where the landlord showed up and started yelling At the host and he just threw up on her feet and then dived into the pool. he stayed there all semester

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
amazon phone posting

had to go two floors down

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

seriously don't eat fish

don't feed fish to children

and lol soylent

i like fish :(

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

coffeetable posted:

what's fantastic is that there're obviously a lot of people who weren't comfortable just walking out w/ poo poo under their jacket, but are fine w/ stealing via self-checkout

that is a practical cost savings measure for yourself

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
Their meat and fish section is loving amazing compared to all the other grocery stores I've gone to in Seattle. It reminded me of the HEB's from Texas, I was lucky they opened them in while I was in Monterrey.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Necc0 posted:

oh hey perfect segue

here's a good talk by a smart dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuHSQXxsjM

ty for sharing this it does own and more of you should watch it

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Munkeymon posted:

would be totally worth it if Gatorade wasn't a thing

spending a whole day hung over sucks so loving much

The trick is to drink it right before you go to sleep and you wake up feeling fine

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

me either it's almost like they were paying a guy to drive an empty truck around for advertising purposes

cause they upped the subscription price to $300 a year!

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

broken clock opsec posted:

Not-luke hosed a space ferret, not-leia hosed an entire hive of space bugs (and possibly not-chewie, not-han, and variously other space-randos)

Anyway certainly a rich and powerful tapestry worth preserving and extending

that must've been after my time reading the EU. the last thing I remember reading were the Yuuzhan Vong

Janitor Prime fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 28, 2015

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

if you have the opportunity to eliminate labor costs without decreasing service/production levels it is your moral and ethical duty to your customers to do so.

you mean shareholders cause you ain't dropping the price, so the customers don't care

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

I read the first 3 books and they were decent political fantasy, I was commuting 3-4 hours a day and was buying books by length

same

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

ADINSX posted:

Our apartment complex in Seattle sent out some building wide notice that the company strictly follows the federal law and therefore all weed, even edibles, are banned from the apartment even though there is a dispensary right down the street.

lol the apartments I was at before had a strict ban on smoking on the rooftop common area, like did they think the smoke would go down to people's apartments?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Citizen Tayne posted:

For some reason there's a table here called MEXCRAP.

Please don't doxx me

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
I just bought a bike and now the rainy seasons started in Seattle :owned:

but I got one of those child seats and take my son on rides around the lake which is super awesome and he loves it :3:

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

alcohol is a scourge and the shame of a nation

Wild Turkey Bourbon Stout (Special Edition) is the best > 10% beer I've had

Janitor Prime fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 30, 2016

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

friend had a horrible coworker who would bring in a big bowl, a jar of cheese dip, a jar of mayo, dump them together and microwave until hot. then consume the whole thing in one sitting with a family sized bag of tortilla chips

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

God drat :(

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

thanks for this because I genuinely had no idea what really sxsw was

I forgot what other hot startups came out of sxsw besides foursquare and twitter and I forgot about this disaster a few years ago

also subway launched their flatizza at sxsw lol

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/sxsw-best-wins-fails-history/

Homeless hotspots sounds awesome

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

paying homeless to lug around a router backpack is a little bit exploitative, don't you think

I figured they would go all out with the branding and give them shopping carts with ads plastered all over the side

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

JawnV6 posted:

$250 is "outer avenues shared garage perpetually blocked in by tenant, no working on the car" discount special

God drat I thought Settle was bad

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
I think I got a great deal in Seattle, $1800 for a 2 br and a 15 minute bus ride to downtown

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

PokeJoe posted:

"the train is delayed due to traffic ahead"

i get stopped on the train in the tunnel b/c the buses every 4th or 5th ride or so

I love that tunnel bus, I take the 41 Express to North Gate and it's just the quickest way to get to and from downtown

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the new guy at work wasn't eligible for his parental leave b/c he hadn't served a full year in full time capacity

being childless myself, i nagged my bosses relentlessly until they filed for a special exemption for him. a family-friendly workplace is in my best interest even if it never happens for me personally

Same thing happened to be at Amazon and was the main reason I left. Of course after all that negative press about their work place came up they implemented paternity leave in Sept and only made it retroactive to people that had kids in June and had been there for a full year. Also if you take the leave that time off is not counted toward your stock vesting times.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

apple was already beaten years ago yeah

quoting for posterity because lmao

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

hmm lets see:

apple computers: mega failures
apple phones: failures
apple internet services: failures
apple tablets: failures
apple users: failsons
last good apple product manufactured: december 1992

it's failing up somehow :confused:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

yeah its the exact same stuff for only 1.5x the price.

Here in Seattle it sure feels like produce at all the super markets is on the same level as Whole Foods. Yeah it's stupid expensive if you buy their $12 peanut butter vs Jiffy at Safeway, but buying just regular poo poo like an onion seems to be the same no matter where you go.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
I could totally see Amazon trying to turn every whole foods into one of their Amazon Go stores that they have in beta testing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrmMk1Myrxc

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

UnfurledSails posted:

come live in seattle never see the sun again

I grew up in 110 heat in Texas and Mexico and gently caress that. I worked construction one summer and got heat stroke twice. Can confirm Seattle is the best place I've ever lived.

• Locked thread