Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

rotor posted:

the tech bubble is the best way I've found to funnel money away from the super-wealthy and into my pocket. long live the tech bubble.

here here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
what are the effective dates for that no-hire agreement? company i worked for turned out to be involved as well and i want to know if i may be getting a check in the mail

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

if you didn't get a letter from the payment processor hired by the class action attorney you're probably out of luck.

"
All natural persons who work in the technical, creative, and/or research and development fields that were employed on a salaried basis in the United States by one or more of the following: (a) Apple from March 2005 through December 2009; (b) Adobe from May 2005 through December 2009; (c) Google from March 2005 through December 2009; (d) Intel from March 2005 through December 2009; (e) Intuit from June 2007 through December 2009; (f) Lucasfilm from January 2005 through December 2009; or (g) Pixar from January 2005 through December 2009.
"

either the website is down or work is blocking it lololol

boo i didn't graduate until 2012 :\

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

infernal machines posted:

as long as uber has 40 billions of VC dollars the fines are about as effective as you'd expect.

i mean if they're getting fined in every single market they're in it may prevent them from being actually profitable, but they're a bubble 2.0 superstar no one is concerned about pedestrian things like profitability

*$1.2 billion

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

PuTTY riot posted:

if my phone wasnt broken id post a screenshot of 'no driver available' which def wanst the case before the city started threatening unlicensed cab drivers with arrest.

still chugging along in DC

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Jonny 290 posted:

Motorola Solutions has a publicly listed toll-free 'employment verification' hotline that tells prospective employers what you made there, down to the dollar.

one of the reasons I couldn't play poker coming to Denver.

Don't ever work for Motorola Solutions.

how is this legal?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Citizen Tayne posted:

Hey guys, thanks for the security deposit chat, it reminded me to check Pennsylvania law and it turns out that my landlord is holding more of my money than he's allowed to hold.

Citizen Tayne posted:

My father-in-law expressed a concern that this guy might try to shoot me.

yeah i was about to say- don't be surprised if you wake up with your tires slashed

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

infernal machines posted:

that's brilliant

literally :haw:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Citizen Tayne posted:

Under that standard I shouldn't be paid for walking to or from the restroom or kitchen because I'm traveling to or from my office.

hoo boy do i have news for you

(don't work in a call center)

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Snapchat A Titty posted:

i assume in america you already gotta clock in only after youve put on your uniform, unlocked the front door etc, and clock out as the first thing when shift ends

i worked as a lifeguard as a teenager and after a year and a half got a new manager. first thing new manager did was essentially this policy which didn't even make that big of a difference in any of our paychecks we were only doing it because it was more convenient. i did the numbers and found out this was only saving him a few hundred dollars a year and this was for a massive athletic club with thousands of members paying ~$200 a month for membership.

i quit soon after and got a sales job selling big screen tvs on commission while they were still insane-priced and lived like a baller my senior year :hehe:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

uncurable mlady posted:

think about how much time we're stealing from our job creator ubermenschen right now by posting

not enough

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Pinterest Mom posted:

The car-service company Uber has allegedly terminated more than a dozen Chicago-based community-support representatives, according to internal emails obtained by the Daily Dot.

Four independent sources say that up to 15 people were fired last Friday for sharing an internal discount code for rides. Uber allegedly called it a “breach of policy.”

[...]

Uber uses a third-party human resources firm, ZeroChaos, to manage contractors. Community-support representatives work for Uber through ZeroChaos, meaning they are employed by the company but don’t receive the benefits that come with being a full-fledged Uber staff member.

It was a ZeroChaos representative who sent the Uber contractors their termination notices. The Daily Dot received copies of the emails. Written in Comic Sans, the letters read, “Your assignment at Uber has ended effective immediately 12/5/14. Please log into the system and enter your final timecard.”

uber is still evil

i guess i shouldn't be surprised that the snowcrash dystopia font would be comic sans but man... it still hurts

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Pinterest Mom posted:

if you keep money in the bank and earn 0.5% nominal interest, but inflation is 2%, you're effectively being charged ~1.5%.

the alternative could be to invest in an index fund and earn 4-5% real return, or buy a risk free inflation protected government bond and earn ~0.1% real return

gonna be pedantic and point out that you're not being 'charged' ~1.5%

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Pinterest Mom posted:

:shrug:

you deposit 100$
your bank buys a 100$ TIPS

after a year, you have 98.5$ in real terms
and your bank has 100.1$

banks have crazy access to liquidity right now so in all likelihood they aren't doing jack poo poo with your money or are making a negligible amount

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
plus they're not allowed to be complete bastards with fees and 'helpful' accounting to gently caress over account holders so why even bother at this point

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

As a Millennial I posted:

the number of amateur economist tech bros white knighting uber online is staggering

i feel like they hit the same nerve that google nailed with the gmail beta

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Stringent posted:

are 2 parent households still considered normal or is that some 1% poo poo now too?

divorce has actually been on the decline. unsurprisingly the boomers being the most selfish generation also spiked the divorce rate

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

when i was single and living in a studio i just ate at my computer desk every single night

this is what I do, yeah

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

BONGHITZ posted:

reminder: we dont know how bad Fukushima was, it might have been pretty bad

how do we not know how bad it was? did a spill teleport somewhere else?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

BONGHITZ posted:

a bunch of monitoring stations were down when it happened and no one was manning the rest because its unpaid volunteer work

if there were any significant damage we'd be able to detect it now, though? like you can still go to the gulf, close your eyes, spin around and go 'yeah right there. that's hosed up'

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Main Paineframe posted:

no you see, fossil fuel facilities also suffered massive catastrophic damage and spread pollution all over the place as a result, while only one nuclear plant had any problems at all, but atoms are scary so let's ban them and build more fossil fuel poo poo

yeah when we've dealt with coal plants i'll start to consider alternatives to nuclear but until then no.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Mido posted:

*skips maintenance because lol money, turbine spins itself out of control during a heavy wind and the brakes fail, turbine explodes into pieces from sheer force*

*designs lovely maintenance shafts, workers trying to maintain it burn to death after calling their loved ones on a cell because there's no escape*

still a better option than anything else we got besides solar maybe

hydroelectric kicks a lotta butt too but loving with damns basically reams any wildlife or cities or water rights situations going on so lol good luck with that

I don't actually know anything though so whatever

oh god it's spilling wind everywhere :gonk:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Jonny 290 posted:

the tidal stuff seems really cool
ignoring environmental impact, the notion of just getting free juice from 100 square km of water rising and falling is p neat

harvesting the power of the moon is pretty badass tbh

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Beast of Bourbon posted:

haha yes, the peacecorps, totally not a front for the us intelligence agencies

you'd think their funding wouldn't be so paltry if this were true

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Jonny 290 posted:

who would you let into your african nation: a "peace corps" that is stealing toilet paper and washing paper plates, or a "peace corps" that has shitloads of cash and is evidently being funded by somebody big

just a small increase in funding (relative to the military/intel budget) and they'd be insane effective and even more likely to be attractive to tons of struggling countries

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Nintendo Kid posted:

Uber didn't address that, it still happens plenty. Some people even have the Uber dude drive by the pickup spot and just refuse to stop.

yeah Uber is crap but cab companies are horrendous in some places and something needs to be done. i was drunk and trying to get back to my friend's place in pittsburgh and called a dispatcher because there weren't any cabs anywhere. i tell the dispatcher i'm at the getgo at such & such intersection and she says 'we don't do curbside pickups' and hangs up on me. fired up uber without hesitating

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
a really happy medium would be uber opening their system, only allowing actual livery cars & taxis, and acting solely as a middle-man dispatcher that provides a uniform service country-wide. won't happen though and the only company to step in to do that was successful but decided to poison the well like cocks

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
my condo has a dedicated red phone that works great but that's a pretty garbage solution

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

gd where were you yesterday this would been perfect for the vid i just made

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

vapid cutlery posted:

let's see the video

it's a dumb cs vid that you can find in the counter-strike: global-offensive thread if you're so inclined

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Citizen Tayne posted:

it owns that donald trump has been a massive failure his entire life but is still rich

family wealth best wealth

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
he's only loaded in an entirely technical sense. his sister bailed him out numerous times and is the only reason he's not a washed up clerk at jos. a bank

literally an irl lebowski

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

born on a buy you posted:

the post is dumb. "thanks Facebook for reminding me of this thing I definitely did not forget. why are you so mean"

seriously. does he get pissed at his computer when he turns on an automatic slideshow w/ music and it shows his deceased grandpa?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

bassguitarhero posted:

I would have probably coded in something that checks the names/users and posts associated with them for keywords like "cancer" or "death" or "hosed my best friend" and then have it leave that person out of the video

lmao no you wouldn't have

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

guy who owns burgerpriest is a huge homophobe tho :(

racist/homophobe restaurant owners?? once again-

pittsburgh's got you beat

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i saw what you did

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sagebrush posted:

yeh tng also had gene's idiotic "no one ever argues or has disagreements in the future so the bridge crew aren't allowed to get mad or have drama"
and his creepy future sex ideas like "monogamy no longer exists and everyone has sex whenever they want with whoever they want and no one gets offended or jealous or hurt ever"

everything is beautiful and nothing hurts

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Shifty Pony posted:

most city councils and mayors are pretty practical people and tend toward "OK let's make this work" and hold off on hardcore enforcement while attempting to craft legislation to directly regulate uber and such. the problem they keep running into with uber is that uber is not negotiating in good faith at all and any regulations crafted will be ignored the instant it becomes slightly more profitable to do so. that's when the enforcement wheels start to turn and the city leaders don't want to attack the drivers (who are their constituents) but instead go directly after uber. the problem with that is instead of just writing tickets with instant results the cases have to slowly work their way up through the court system and uber can afford very very good lawyers who can delay things absurd amounts of time while they also attempt to get new laws passed which they will then use to reset the clock before breaking them as well.

eventually there will be rulings saying "jesus loving christ YES uber is a taxi company and has to abide by all the rules or gtfo" but for now investor storytime lives on.

more succinctly: the gov moves slowly and takes a long time to gain inertia on anything. lord help you if you're in the way once they're moving though

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
my teacher fast forwarded through the intro every time while the class booed so no i missed that important bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Along with California, a dozen states allow non-carpoolers in carpool lanes, either through tolls or by letting solo drivers enter the lane with qualifying clean-air vehicles. California’s program is aimed at reducing emissions by incentivizing the purchase of vehicles that pollute the air less.

But the Federal Highway Administration said Virginia and California are the only states that allow single drivers and have lanes failing to meet federal standards. In Virginia, the slowdowns are occurring on only one freeway: I-66, outside the Beltway, FHWA said.

I-66 is easily the worst road I've ever had to deal with on a regular basis

• Locked thread