Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Zombie Samurai posted:

Do most people not enjoy Metroid II? It's incredible as a minimalist horror take on the Metroid formula. All that open space and bizarre architecture seen through the tiny monochrome screen of the oldschool GameBoy is such a unique experience. And the evolved Metroids are terrifying the way they scream and lunge. Game owns.

Everything looks exactly the same and it's insanely easy to get lost because of that, not to mention the actual layout is pretty bad and confusing. I think having a map would be more than enough to fix that, but I felt like Metroid lost something in the process of being updated to Zero Mission. I'm not sure Metroid 2 would have anything left to offer if they made it easier to find your way and no longer had that sense of being lost and desperate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Kewpuh posted:

Super Metroid is the greatest video game of all time and if you disagree with this then I will ban you

Symphony of the Night is the only game that I think might be as good as Super Metroid. It's not quite as well put together though.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Contest Winner posted:

Yo idiots tell me here too what game you want me to pick for that game of the month thread idea for December, otherwise I am just going to pick EYE Divine Cybermancy and you will have to spend the holidays being hacked by ATM machines and eaten by werewolves.

Also I guess feel free to add me on Steam because I like to see what games people are playing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/contestwinner

I change my display name often though so if that bugs you sorry.

We should have two different GOTM things, one for janky poo poo like EYE and one for just playing straight up good games that everyone should play like Deus Ex.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Zombie Samurai posted:

loving Firefall is so frustrating. The game feels amazing, with jetting around and blasting things and there's weight to your movements and nice little audio cues of your armor shifting and your gear clattering together. The world is bright and interesting and it looks like there's tons of places to go.

And all you do is grind the same boring missions for XP.

Firefall has been like 5 different games since I first got into the alpha/beta test, and the absolute worst one of those is the one they decided to launch with. They added shitloads of new areas and then filled them with the worst grindy bullshit missions ever, and removed a lot of the cool big invasion events that were around earlier in the beta.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask are simultaneously the two most underrated and overrated Zelda games

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Phobophilia posted:

Is playing Path of Exile more or less shameful than playing MMOs? The world wonders.

It's bad but it doesn't cost money. So which is more shameful, being so loving poor you can only play F2P garbage or spending actual money on an MMO?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Drinkfist posted:

Play Infinity Wars. Free on Steam. Go go go.

Look at this terrible poo poo

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

VideoGames posted:

those are my siblings thank you

You're a loving liar, there's a one child policy

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Dominoes posted:

Looking for recommendations for objectively-good singleplayer games on PC. Ones on par with System Shock 2, Psychonauts, The Witcher 2, Deus Ex, Half-Life, Hitman Blood Money, Alpha Protocol, Metro etc.

Recently lost interest in and abandoned Hitman Abolution, Tomb Raider, and Assassin's creed Revelations. Looking to not waste more time.

Are there any good multiplayer games coming out these days? Looked like most things coming out were free-to-play stuff where you're not on a level playing field with the other players.

It's hard to think of many PC games recently that are good enough to deserve to be played by everyone like the games you listed. Diablo 3 is pretty amazing, but not if you wanted to play it as a straight up single player game. There are lots of good games still, but they're not for everyone, like Wasteland 2 or Legend of Grimrock 2 are both amazing but only if you like RPGs of those styles.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Dishonored is nowhere near as good as SS2 or Deus Ex but it's still pretty great

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Kewpuh posted:

i wish dishonored didnt for some reason give me a massive headache to play like borderlands 1 did because id like to play it out and see how the story goes. like it makes the part behind my eyeballs hurt

It's something with the way movement is in all of these modern console FPS games, FarCry 4 is doing the same poo poo to me right now.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Assassin's Creed at its absolute best is barely worth playing so who cares

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Stux posted:

3 is better than new vegas

You're like a machine designed to post terrible and completely wrong poo poo

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

Neither of them adequately replicate the setting of the original games IMO. 3 does indeed feel like a nuclear bomb went off in it but other than that it felt gray and boring as poo poo. New Vegas was more interesting but didn't really feel post-apocalyptic. The originals were both more connected to the modern world, like how the cities mapped onto real world cities in California or the BoS were the former Army Rangers, and it had people reverting to tribal societies and like shamanism and poo poo. The Bethesda games were basically just people in a fictional gray/brown world with worn out 50s popular science guns

I was raised in Vegas and New Vegas actually does a really good job of mapping onto the real world. The distances are obviously pretty condensed but all of the towns and landmarks are where they should be in relation to each other, and I even learned about a few places in the region that I wasn't aware of before and could find them in real life just based on playing the game.

I've never been to DC so I have no idea how 3 compares, but 1 and 2 just kind of throw their locations over the top of former California cities. I don't think that's really more connected to the modern world at all.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Ddraig posted:

No, seriously, they seem to have absolutely no idea how to make compelling characters. Pagan Min is a joke. The first time you ever see him he stabs a guy repeatedly in the throat because he disobeyed an order, which is pretty much the most try hard way to make an 'evil dictator' imaginable, especially given that virtually all of the most vile and deplorable dictators in actual history have had huge cults of personality and it's usually only after they've been deposed that most of their excesses and genocidal behavior come to light.

Even Idi Amin, a guy who allegedly actually loving ate people, was considered at worst a buffoon by Western media and at best a soft spoken man 'as gentle as a lamb' (actual quote from the British newspapers)

Yet despite him murdering people directly infront of you he apparently really wants to be your surrogate father and will send you messages saying that all is forgiven if you come back. The 'I'm a really nice guy, honest, I just have a very difficult job' aspect would have probably worked a lot better if he didn't stab a guy repeatedly in the loving throat right infront of you.

I get a lot of poo poo for criticizing the plot of Far Cry 4, but I wish they would have either have gone completely into absurdity and focused that energy on making the actual game better or put in more research than watching some films and calling it a day.

That's way more words of critique than a popcorn game like Far Cry 4 really needs. And your analysis of famous dictators is dumb, it doesn't really matter what dictators seem like to "Western media" given the main character's role in FC4 and that he's meeting the dictator himself, not hearing about him on a cable news channel.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Hog Inspector posted:

i really like ff tactics, are tactics advance and advance 2 worth playing?

I think they're both better than FFT which is massively overrated in general. They're better mainly because battles aren't nightmarishly slow like in the original, but both games also have storylines that aren't taken as seriously which is a good thing in my opinion.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

here are some essentials for good games:

- good, colorful graphics
- should be pretty easy
- plot needs to be interesting within the first 30min
- should be SHORT, or at the very least, easy to complete
- player should know where to go next at all times
- next to no inventory management

Do these things, and thee shall have a good game.

Shallow games for retards basically. I'm pressing F to pay respects to this good post.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Is Elite: Dangerous worth buying y/n? Not going to ask in the thread because threads are always full of super fans.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Eonwe posted:

I've talked to some of my friends on steam who own it and consensus is that its not worth it.

Oh well, I already bought it. I figure it's my duty since I love spaceship games and there hasn't been a spaceship game in forever.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

The only issue with modern games is the issue with capitalism driven media in general, most of the market is controlled by a handful of players who are completely risk averse and spend a huge amount of money/time perfecting the art of making the most generic poo poo imaginable. It's not that this isn't a great time to be a gamer, but it's kind of a crappy time to be a gamer with friends who aren't hugely into games and never touch anything but lovely annualized franchises.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

hubris.height posted:

i don't know, it really wasn't worth the 60 dollars i paid for it, i do not feel like i got value out of it. for free, or even for 20 dollars i might have gotten my value out but i never turned it on again after hitting 20 that first week.

the pvp is a broken mess, and the loot grind is the worst i have seen since vanilla wow

It was pretty drat fun up until 20 though. The main issue with Destiny is you can tell Bungie take it so seriously, not just in terms of the crappy story but gameplay things like the extremely unfun loot grind and keeping filthy casuals from being allowed into raids. They seriously think they've crafted a masterpiece and want you to experience it in a very specific way.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

is that a no?

Heroes of the Storm is the obvious answer. It's hella good unless you're a huge baby about the admittedly crappy gold gain rate.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Alain Post posted:

Also is Diablo a good game to play with a lovely ping? I might be living out of a hotel for the next half-year or so, because of work.

How lovely? I have issues from time to time, but unless you're playing hardcore it shouldn't be a big problem. D3 seriously owns right now, it's basically the opposite of what I want in an ARPG but it's just so fun and every character has so many different skills to explode gigantic piles of enemies all at once that I can't help but enjoy it.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Doom 4 is going to be bad but it doesn't matter because Doom and Doom 2 are infinitely replayable

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

What do people here think of Heroes of the Storm as it stands right now?

Background, I really enjoyed League and probably still would if I didn't have a goddamn anxiety crisis every time I tried to play Summoner's Rift, mostly due to the caustic nature of the community, and buying the wrong item/wrong skill/etc (and me being a bit hosed in the head). Smite alleviates that somewhat with auto-buys/auto-levels but I've never been sure that the auto choices were very good so it still makes me worried

An item-free MOBA sounds good to me :shobon:

I used to hop into LoL pretty regularly but now I only play HOTS. It's pretty much the perfect solution to all of the problems I have with MOBAs, the only downside (as people will tell you endlessly) is that gold comes a bit slowly and it's not free to use every single hero like it is in Dota. It ultimately doesn't matter as you can get a decent selection of heroes pretty quickly and the free hero rotation gives you the chance to try out every hero within a few weeks. Also, if you really need more heroes you can spend a bit of cash on the game, which is apparently a very controversial opinion.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Ekster posted:

How is the HotS community? I really enjoyed Dota 2 on a strictly gameplay level but I've never seen a community that toxic in a multiplayer videogame before, and I have fairly thick skin. None of my friends play MOBAs otherwise I would just play with them. I played it for quite a while until I started noticing I got increasingly irritated over a dumb videogame I play for my supposed enjoyment.

It's pretty tame by MOBA standards, although there are increasing numbers of assholes as the game allows more people in. There's no chat with the enemy team so that cuts down on a decent amount of rage. I'd say maybe 1/4 or so games someone makes some bitchy comments, and 1/10 or so games there'll be someone who throws a real fit. The main source of rage is that there's a lot more back and forth in HOTS, since there are objectives and merc camps to capture rather than just standing in lane for 20 minutes trying to get kills, and some people get super ragey when their team loses a single objective.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Buck Turgidson posted:

OK OK OK what do you actually do in that Elite: Dangerous game? I mean it looks great and seems to capture the ambience of flying around in space but I'm getting the impression that there isn't all that much to actually do and that it might get pretty boring.

You have a big open universe and you can fly around in it and do what you want. Mine asteroids and get rich, be a pirate and kill miners to steal their poo poo, be a bounty hunter and kill pirates for money, take combat missions, get a cargo ship and ferry materials around being a space trader, etc. Apparently there are in-game events that evolve as players participate in them, but there isn't really a campaign where you get to be the savior of the universe or anything like that.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Stux posted:

gonna try x rebirth after all those patches and dlc see what its like wish me luck

Post your thoughts, I've been considering checking it out but not unless the patches actually fixed it.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Well the problem is, letting people die in the suicide mission and elsewhere basically amounts to "playing less of the game," and why would you want to do that? ME2 is good. You kind of have to force the player's hand into making a hard decision if you don't want them to naturally pursue the "everybody lives, happiest solution" path every time.

The real problem is the loyalty missions. They should have made it so you could only do a limited number of them and had to prioritize teammates, or scrapped those dumb missions and make the loyalty mechanic a morale mechanic, based on how each party member feels about your Shepard and your choices. So Garrus dies because his morale has been low the entire game because you always do the opposite of what he recommends, etc. But if there wasn't a save everyone option, I'm sure gigantic babies would have thrown a fit about it.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Hog Inspector posted:

that would be awful. the paragon/renegade structure would mean you either have to minmax which choices make your favorite characters live or have half of them die every time when you do the last mission

Ok, so forget having any choice or consequence at all then because gamers are huge babies.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Alain Post posted:

The suicide mission should have had randomized deaths with very low probabilities of getting everyone out.

I can never tell if you're serious or not but I think that would have been interesting. Maybe the loyalty missions and so on could tweak the odds a bit, but there's still a significant chance of characters dying and there's nothing you can do about it. Literally anything is better than "everyone survives the suicide mission if you follow this set of steps"

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Everyone seems to be forgetting Microsoft's gaming machine, the Xbox One

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Its really cool how over the course of a year the narrative for the WiiU went from "it's a failure, all they have is sequels and rereleases" to "its the best console ever, they just announced a whole bunch more sequels! And some of them aren't even being made by Nintendo! :woop:"

And to be fair, they do have one whole new IP on the horizon.

That's because the narrative last year was driven by loving retards. Who cares if a game is a sequel if it's really good?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Eye of Widesauron posted:

We should play Worms Armageddon soon.

That's a really good idea, let's make this poo poo happen

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

What's up with everyone saying Far Cry 4 is amazing? It seems pretty cool at first but then it turns out to be just more soulless ubisoft open world garbage.

Also, gamers are psycopaths apparently. I keep reading comments about the ending where people are surprised that Pagan Min turns out to be a good guy, because apparently torturing and murdering thousands of people doesn't matter since he wasn't actually planning to kill the protagonist.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Ddraig posted:

Far Cry 4 is trying to be two different things and not really being very good at either of them.

It should focus on being one thing and making that good rather than making two lackluster halves that make a disappointing whole.

I think I gave up after the Prison. That was a very poo poo, unfun segment. Especially as you have to hide from these things when you've got a perfectly serviceable piece of metal you can use to smash their stupid imaginary skulls in with.

Every single bit of forced stealth or stealth-ish stuff was totally poo poo. What I don't understand is how you have these gigantic studios like Ubisoft and not a single person who apparently likes video games enough to say something like "Our game doesn't really work for stealth and this isn't loving fun, take it out"

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Ahundredbux posted:

What is your 2014 Game of the year?

- Must be released in 2014
- Platform does not matter
- A large DLC is an acceptable entry

My GotY is probably South Park because this has been a trash year for games.

Shovel Knight, Mario Kart 8 or Reaper of Souls are my GOTYS, I won't pick one

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Also I played Might and Magic X at the beginning of the year and that experience convinced me to finally play World of Xeen so I would like to nominate World of Xeen as a GOTY contender

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

TheHoosier posted:

This any good? I love the previous games

I had zero experience with M&M games prior to playing X, so I don't know how valuable my opinion is. It starts (and ends) a bit rough, and the very generic fantasy setting is super boring compared to the wonderfully bizarre stuff from the early Might and Magic games, but overall it was a great game with an excellent class/skill system and one of the only long RPGs in recent memory that managed to keep me interested enough to actually finish it. I imagine anyone who likes grid-based, turn-based PC RPGs would really enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Hannibal Smith posted:

Oh, I almost forgot, I think the Hexcells games released this year, so I'm going to say those ones too. Pretty much my favorite puzzle games ever, only downside is there's such a limited number of puzzles even across all three games and the randomly generated ones in Infinite are boring.

poo poo, I forgot about Hexcells. I'm at a point where I rarely bother to finish video games anymore but not only did I finish all 3 Hexcells games, as soon as I finished I played through all 3 of them again. Then I played enough of the randomly generated puzzles to have amassed a total of 60 hours of playtime between the 3 games.

• Locked thread