Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zeitgueist posted:

We can still call for justice even if we have no realistic expectation of such.

This is faint optimism, but I sincerely envy you for having even that. That's all I can really say without descending into a rant of despair. Like,

He was violently raped with an instrument, and you have the Director saying "heh all they got were some bruises, wanna cry about it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Stingly posted:

Everybody says that but I don't think anybody actually believed or internalized that idea. Every form of entertainment media has always shown torture getting the desired information very quickly.

Oddly enough, I just watched an episode of comic book tv show Arrow where they're interrogating a bad guy -- he's expecting to be tortured, but then someone comes in and shows him they've accessed his bank accounts and they keeping withdrawing money until he talks.

But that derail aside, yeah, I think most Americans just assumed this stuff was going on, it's an effective "science" like the report said, and they won't feel at all surprised or outraged by it.

Hey, here's a pile of poo poo that accuses Feinstein of treason (of course):

quote:

Far from being mortified by water-boarding or sleep deprivation (for working Americans sleep deprivation is a normal state of affairs from holding down two jobs and multiple shifts to feed their families during the Reign of Obama), the folks I know back home in the Pennsylvania coal towns would skin terrorists alive then get out the salt shaker.

Obama is too soft on terrorists also he's bad for drone striking them.

quote:

They have placed a higher value on the exaggerated “suffering” of barely human monsters than on the safety of our diplomats, our troops, our citizens abroad and our closest allies. (In Obamaworld-logic, it was a crime of the highest order to waterboard mass murderers, but it’s okay to kill them with drone strikes; speaking strictly for myself, I think I’d prefer waterboarding to death.)

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Proctoclysis is incredibly rare in medical practice as far as I am aware. It's used in some developing countries if IV is unavailable and/or malnutrition is not treatable in any other way. Proctoclysis is sometimes used on severe burn patients where IV fluid replacement is less feasible ( go find a vein between al those burns).

This is not a routine medical procedure, even if it is used on medical grounds in no way does it consist of grounding up dinner an administering the paste rectally. The only reason this was done I can think of is as a shame inducing tool. I sincerely hope that no MD would support this practice.

Well, shame and intense physical pain and damage.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

UberJew posted:

Also everyone involved with the torture program and everyone who authorized it including President Bush and everyone who protected it including President Obama are war criminals who should be prosecuted by an international court and imprisoned in humane but effective conditions for the rest of their natural lives.

I agree and also I want a pony :(

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zeitgueist posted:

:agreed:

And with none of that likely to happen it's funny when folks complain about political apathy.

[sarcasm]Um have you tried writing your congressman?[/sarcasm]

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Remember, though, they were all middle to upper-middle class white males! :v:

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

And look how well that turned out!

Yep, that's the point! I think there was some game theory experiment involving cooperation, and all the guy students they tried it on kept dicking each other over and making suboptimal choices, but when they tried it with the secretaries, they consistently cooperated and won it.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ActusRhesus posted:

Not disagreeing with the main point being made, but you may not want to hold up the Stanford prison experiment as an illustration of humanity's flaws, as it got pretty well crushed in peer review.

Oh for sure, it was a poo poo experiment.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ActusRhesus posted:

This. The question is not whether or not it was effective.

the question is whether or not we as a nation want to go there in the first place.

Well I think ultimately that's the true question, but right now most Americans would say "yes, absolutely," so emphasizing torture's ineffectiveness is a workable talking point.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bel Shazar posted:

Did you mean real, or did we have actual eel rape rooms?

:nws: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

“The Unidentified Queen of Torture” is pretty metal. Namechange please, mods? tia

• Locked thread