Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Xandu posted:

Page 16 footnote says "Juma gul who was released with a payment of $[redacted] and other currency."

Is this saying they paid him off?

ahahaha the cia's policy of never revealing budget items extends to hush money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/12/09/senate-panel-releases-scathing-report-on-cia-interrogation-amid-warnings/

fox news's report on this release should be studied in journalism school as the epitome of "burying the lede"

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

gvibes posted:

Ah yes, we can't punish people if they were commanded to commit illegal acts. I'm sure the nazis would be comforted by that.

No Social Security for CIA Agents Act

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

maybe they were raping prisoners because the CIA used literal rapists to conduct "interrogations"

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

TEAYCHES posted:

The United States of America ratified a UN law preventing us from rendering prisoners to nations which we expected would be tortured. We also tortured some folks ourselves.

We will prosecute those responsible for these gross breaches of law and trust. There is going to be a trial and we will convict those who ordered and oversaw torture.

i know you're trolling but it's so removed from the realm of possibility that anyone could believe this it lacks punch

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

TEAYCHES posted:

I honestly want to hear nuanced views on how sticking hoses up stretched anuses, pumping in slush, after water boarding, hitting their broken legs, shouldn't be actively pursued by the United States Justice Department with charges leveled against senior officials for crimes against humanity.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...nistration.html

this is about as close as yer gonna get

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

TEAYCHES posted:

The cool part is when we raped people and no one will ever, ever be tried for it.

that's pretty much true of most rapes perpetrated by private citizens too tho

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i've gotten drinks with yoo and he is still utterly unrepentant so this doesn't surprise me at all. still good conversation-haver tho

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
if john yoo were executed he'd give a smug smirk and sarcastic quip before the blade dropped anyway

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
frankly not prosecuting individuals involved in this makes sense, if obama indicted a single one the CIA would probably disappear his dog

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Gorelab posted:

Speaking of prosecutions, has a government ever really massively persecuted it's own former officals without there being a revolution or something close to it? I really can't think of any, and that's sad.

france does this to like, every president they have.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
literally everyone in america is incompetent.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Entropic posted:

John McCain's speech in that Fox story someone linked is really good and it tells you everything you need to know about FOX to look at all the headlines on the page ('CIA report another attempt by Democrats to attack Bush?','Woolsey: Release of CIA report a 'great disservice' to US') while listening to McCain clearly explain the exact opposite.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/12/09/senate-panel-releases-scathing-report-on-cia-interrogation-amid-warnings/

And of course the first sentence of the article starts "A Democrat-led Senate panel..."

my favorite part:

quote:

Fox News' Catherine Herridge and Chad Pergram and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

i wonder who wrote what :allears:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

An Angry Bug posted:

• "Starve the beast"
  • "Small enough to drown in the bathtub"
  • "Let the free market decide"
  • Corporate personhood
  • Maligning of welfare systems
  • Disinformation campaigns against the ACA
  • The corrupt lobbying system
  • Revolving doors between industries and the groups that regulate them
  • Unlimited campaign donations
  • The deliberate underfunding and repeated budget cuts to OSHA
  • The smear campaign that successfully shut down ACORN
  • ALEC, the Heritage Fund, and other similar groups
  • This poo poo

i thought actusrhesus was a JAG or something?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

An Angry Bug posted:

The heck is that?

a military lawyer that primarily does military justice, operational law, personal legal services or administrative law stuff. maybe a few of them were involved in the torture thing, but the main "legal" footwork was done by the OLC and DOJ

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

ActusRhesus posted:

Former JAG, actually, but close enough.

I know a few JAGs involved in the Commissions as both prosecutors and defense and don't even get me started on what a poo poo-show that is...and I know there was an extremely small number on the NSA council who were involved in Game of Drones. But I honestly can't say I know any who were involved in the CIA stuff. (If there are, they would be an extremely small number) Totally different agency. Totally different lawyers.

given the apparent presence of military personnel i imagine at least one commander turned to his or her JAG and asked "this is okay, right?" with the JAG nervously tugging their collar and saying "...Yes, sir"

there that is my military fanfiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
john yoo explained his strategy for appearing slick in interviews to me: government types are generally given a set of 2 or 3 talking points to repeat with different wording, and journalists (and stewart) know this, so if you anticipate what talking points the journos are expecting in advance just completely talk around it and talk about something that they don't expect, but make it sound like you're answering their question. please tell me if he deploys this strategy on CNN, or if he's refined it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread