Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

ActusRhesus posted:

true. It could also include recommendations for restructuring, oversight, changes to reporting channels, etc. etc.

There was a lot of opportunity to actually make a positive change here. I think we can all agree that the stuff in here is pretty awful. Who knew? What was done when they knew? What type of oversights need to be put in place so it doesn't happen again?

It's entirely possible that the recommendations are in the other 6200 pages and were excluded from the released section because it is still classified, on account of the level of specificity expected in that would involve individuals and places still in active use by the intelligence community.

It's less likely than there being no recommendation because nobody on the Senate Intelligence Committee actually cares about making things right and this whole document was generated as part of an interbranch pissing contest from the CIA screwing with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Also everyone involved with the torture program and everyone who authorized it including President Bush and everyone who protected it including President Obama are war criminals who should be prosecuted by an international court and imprisoned in humane but effective conditions for the rest of their natural lives.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

mds2 posted:

What exactly would they do? Murder a family member of a US Congressman? I dont see that happening.

Going after his family is a bit far-fetched but while I don't expect anything would happen I also wouldn't be particularly surprised if Mark Udall suffered a tragic light aircraft accident.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I wonder where, exactly, future historians will say "here, this point, is where Americans abandoned the rule of law."

Most historians only care about property rights of the powerful when judging whether a society had "the rule of law" anyway, so probably never!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

This is what frustrates me most about the report. It sounds like a collection of cases from a state prison system.

Hey when our state prisons leave people in a box to die of exposure it is from heat not from freezing :colbert:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

I guess the next question is - how much of the base actually finds each program morally repugnant?

Not anywhere near enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Mightypeon posted:

They were also surprised that the Church commision didnt get shot, and that, after it did its job, didnt shoot anyone.

As soon as the next administration came around the CIA was right back to business as usual with the Church Commission having accomplished exactly jack and poo poo so why would they have shot anybody?

• Locked thread