Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Thesaurasaurus posted:

'Honest' in the sense that they don't misrepresent their platform and are entirely-candid about being awful people with awful views, as opposed to the Democrats, who get our hopes up about ending some of this poo poo and then let us down.

Wait told you that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Chamale posted:

When did the transition happen for so many people to start thinking like that?
Sometime shortly after developing a rudimentary culture, but probably before we left the trees and invented fire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chamale posted:

When did the transition happen for so many people to start thinking like that? I vaguely remember a time when torture was something bad people did. Obviously that attitude changed somewhere between 9/11 and the end of the Bush Administration, but when the first reports of torture came out were people outraged about them? I guess it was split between the people who said "support the President no matter what" and the other 50% of the country.

Torturing people is definitely something that Bad People do, but this isn't torture, it's 'interrogating' terrorists, and because terrorists are Bad People, it's ok to interrogate them, so we can stop them doing terrorism, if we didn't, they would do lots more terrorism and maybe kill some of us, so instead we should interrogate them, and us, sometimes, to make sure to stop terrorism.

Alternatively: Torturing is something Bad People do, but it's not the torturing that makes them bad, they're just intrinsically bad and torturing is just proof of that, also they do it for fun. It's OK for not-bad people to do torture for reasons.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 14, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Just like how you can't be a racist unless you've lynched someone, you aren't a torturer until you've sliced somebody's balls open just for the fun of it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dr. Faustus posted:

Between this new budget, the (new, improved) unapologetic hatred of brown people, of immigration, of non-Christians, non-cops, non-straight-people, liberalsliberalsliberals, let's frack this planet to death and gently caress your drinking water and your future; I'm kinda out of hope.

Well I always comfort myself by understanding that the world is more peaceful and prosperous then it has ever been, and people from as short as hundred years ago or so would consider it a paradise exempting countries like Syria. It's all relative.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DarkCrawler posted:

Well I always comfort myself by understanding that the world is more peaceful and prosperous then it has ever been, and people from as short as hundred years ago or so would consider it a paradise exempting countries like Syria. It's all relative.

Though arguably with the increase in human population over the last century we are now at the point where the total number of people suffering and dying for stupid reasons at this moment is an appreciable fraction of all the humans who have ever lived. Never before in history has there been quite such a torrent of human suffering taking place in the world at once.

But we do have videos of cute foxes on youtube I guess which helps counterbalance it somewhat.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 14, 2014

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Thesaurasaurus posted:

'Honest' in the sense that they don't misrepresent their platform and are entirely-candid about being awful people with awful views, as opposed to the Democrats, who get our hopes up about ending some of this poo poo and then let us down.

Yeah pretty much what I meant, maybe it makes some difference observing from across the pond but the Republicans have always been straight up about being lying far-right corporate whores. Maybe 'honest' was a lovely term since it implies truth telling but I meant more that they're straight up "vote for us for social repression and wars".

Same as the Tories here, sure they lie all the time but absolutely everyone knows their party is founded on the ethos of "gently caress the poor" and they live up to that. In my mind its worse when apparently progressive governments do the same thing, maybe not objectively since the results are the same, but intellectually and politically.
And before anyone says "lol the democrats arent progressive" youd have to seriously retcon Obamas 2008 campaign out of history to claim they've never claimed it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

nopantsjack posted:

And before anyone says "lol the democrats arent progressive" youd have to seriously retcon Obamas 2008 campaign out of history to claim they've never claimed it.

The 111th Congress and Obama's administration actually passed a lot of progressive things, and lo it was good. Regrettably, Revanchist America saw that it was good and spite and hatred took a a deeper hold on their hearts and in 2010 lots of the people who voted for Candidate Obama's stayed home and didn't back Congressional candidates from his party. So we lost Congress, and many state houses ensure that the house would be a steep climb the remainders of the decade. Now, after sleeping on 2010 and 2014 many progressives (not all) sit around and blame Obama for not accomplishing more progressive goals despite having one of the most Reactionary Revanchist opposition parties ever.

You can quibble about how much of the 08 campaign reflected the brand and not the man and point out some genuinely sad disappointments like the lack of meaningful action for the preceeding administration's crimes but I've found many progressives, like Very Serious People in the Center, seem to believe in the Green Lantern Theory of Presidential where a sufficiently willful President can simply overcome institutional obstacles and the agency of radically opposed congressmen though his powerful Will and Leadership. This is bunk.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

You can quibble about how much of the 08 campaign reflected the brand and not the man and point out some genuinely sad disappointments like the lack of meaningful action for the preceeding administration's crimes but I've found many progressives, like Very Serious People in the Center, seem to believe in the Green Lantern Theory of Presidential where a sufficiently willful President can simply overcome institutional obstacles and the agency of radically opposed congressmen though his powerful Will and Leadership. This is bunk.

This administration has not been dragged kicking and screaming into extending the abuses of the previous administration. Drone strikes, surveillance, executive privilege, these are cases where the Obama administration has purposefully legitimized the whole system. I don't care how good Obamacare is, which is itself a point of great contention, those things are so outside of acceptable for me, that I cannot support a party or adminstration that does them.

To, in the Senate torture report thread of all places, to assert that liberals hosed us - that's why no one is going to jail over this... I just find it impossible to believe people actually believe this.

So I'll post the same point I do every time this comes up. Would you always and forever vote for the Democratic party as the lesser of two evils, or is there anything in the world (perhaps refusing to indict prosecutors of torture?) that would make you say "No"?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

As long as the Republican party exists in any relatI've fashion and no viable alternative to the democratic party is an option, what do you expect people to do?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

joeburz posted:

As long as the Republican party exists in any relatI've fashion and no viable alternative to the democratic party is an option, what do you expect people to do?

Not vote, let the Republicans run wild until the place falls apart and hope to build something better on the decaying remains?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bel Shazar posted:

Not vote, let the Republicans run wild until the place falls apart and hope to build something better on the decaying remains?

As a white male, I will not feel the consequences of letting Republicans run wild, so this strategy is appealing to me.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Bel Shazar posted:

Things being worse makes them harder to fix. Remember, democracy and a middle class is the historical oddity.

But I'm a tall straight white dude so it's all win:win to me. Do what you feel.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Bel Shazar posted:

This sounds watertight. Proceed.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Bel Shazar posted:

That sure worked for the midterms!

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

As a young, queer, non white woman from Texas please do not do this thing thank you

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The alternative is voting for the D team despite them loving you anyway.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

joeburz posted:

I expect the party and its leader to stop programs and attitudes that its base finds morally repugnant. I also expect party shills to stop making liberals out as villains for refusing to sanction this nonsense.

The alternative is to buy into the "We can't possibly stop assassinating and spying on American citizens. The Republicans won't allow it! :qq:" narrative. If you think coming to me with that line while insinuating that if I don't vote for you I'm part of the problem is going to somehow motivate me to hand you a mandate to govern, you are out of your mind.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PhilippAchtel posted:

I expect the party and its leader to stop programs and attitudes that its base finds morally repugnant.

I guess the next question is - how much of the base actually finds each program morally repugnant?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

I guess the next question is - how much of the base actually finds each program morally repugnant?

Not anywhere near enough.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

computer parts posted:

Not enough to overcome the party's FYGM mentality. Drone strikes, torture, and indefinite detention are all fine because we've got healthcare now.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Except plenty of people don't find those things fine and it still hasn't been shown why abstaining from voting or voting for another party is any better for them. You're asking democratic voters who disagree with all that to produce a change they fundamentally are incapable of producing.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Miltank posted:

I meant the 21st century torture.

You may have heard, the Senate released a report about it.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

joeburz posted:

Except plenty of people don't find those things fine and it still hasn't been shown why abstaining from voting or voting for another party is any better for them. You're asking democratic voters who disagree with all that to produce a change they fundamentally are incapable of producing.

I'm asking Democrats to stop voting Democrat if they actually care as much about those things as they claim. Vote third party. Vote independent. It's not impossible.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

What reason do we have for believing non-strategic voting would work better next time than it has any time before?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

It's just a matter of principle over pragmatism. Don't vote for war criminals and human rights abusers no matter their rhetoric. If you don't value that, vote however you want - just do so knowing exactly what you are voting for without any illusions whatsoever.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

For that matter I could just not vote.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Evil Sagan posted:

What reason do we have for believing non-strategic voting would work better next time than it has any time before?

If the Democrats see that they lose votes based on a few policies that they already claim to be critical of, they may actually work against those policies. I guess I would reverse the question though. What reason do we have to believe that the Democrats will seriously oppose these policies if not doing so never costs them anything?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Probad posted:

I guess I would reverse the question though. What reason do we have to believe that the Democrats will seriously oppose these policies if not doing so never costs them anything?

It's already not costing them anything because the people who care about this so much aren't voting.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

computer parts posted:

It's already not costing them anything because the people who care about this so much aren't voting.

And if the people who care about this start voting for Democrats this, too, will not cause the Democrats to take up the cause of equality and justice. We could do this all day.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TEAYCHES posted:

And if the people who care about this start voting for Democrats this, too, will not cause the Democrats to take up the cause of equality and justice. We could do this all day.

This is correct, but only because the people who care are an insignificant number of people.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

I think a lot of people who vote Democrat do care about these issues, and this is reflected by the rhetoric Democratic politicians choose to use to differentiate themselves from Republicans during elections.

I just think that most who vote Democratic are poorly informed on what actually occurs, have short memories, or go ahead with voting Democrat because lesser-of-two-evilism.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TEAYCHES posted:

I think a lot of people who vote Democrat do care about these issues, and this is reflected by the rhetoric Democratic politicians choose to use to differentiate themselves from Republicans during elections.

The rhetoric being "yes we're torturing folks" versus "no we're not".

Most of the complaints people have here also don't relate to torture, but prosecution thereof.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

computer parts posted:

The rhetoric being "yes we're torturing folks" versus "no we're not".

Most of the complaints people have here also don't relate to torture, but prosecution thereof.

If Republicans honestly don't believe that EITs are torture, then it makes sense for them not to see this as a problem. To believe that something is torture and still do nothing about it actually seems more reprehensible to me.

I'm also a little confused about how the prosecution of torture is not related to torture.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

I would say "immunizing those who tortured" and "currently torturing" are somewhat related. The reason being this guarantees that there is no real deterrence to a systematic torture program in the future. I fail to see much of an ethical difference between endorsement-by-nonpunishment and torture. It's also narrow to separate this from the wider issue of American foreign policy (which is still hosed up and evil), surveillance, and the growth of the security state.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Probad posted:

If Republicans honestly don't believe that EITs are torture, then it makes sense for them not to see this as a problem. To believe that something is torture and still do nothing about it actually seems more reprehensible to me.

They did do something - they stopped.

TEAYCHES posted:

I would say "immunizing those who tortured" and "currently torturing" are somewhat related.

Most people don't.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

computer parts posted:

Most people don't.

So the problem here is that you are being extremely pedantic and that you have blinders on. That's something that I probably can't help you with. Being unable to see the forest for the trees is something you might want to work on yourself.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

The truly amusing thing about this is that as the torture program came to an end, the drone program ramped up exponentially. The Obama administration decided to just start interrogating suspected terrorists and militants with hellfire missiles.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

TEAYCHES posted:

The truly amusing thing about this is that as the torture program came to an end, the drone program ramped up exponentially. The Obama administration decided to just start interrogating suspected terrorists and militants with hellfire missiles.

And presumably innocent American teenagers. Let's not forget that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

computer parts posted:

You're right, and I suppose that's what you meant by the torture v. prosecution of torture thing. I just don't think it's enough. Like Teayches said, stopping alone does nothing to dissuade future administrations from starting the whole program up again. But it's also hard to imagine "they stopped" being an excuse in any other serious criminal context. A murderer can't go to court and argue that, although they murdered a lot of people in the recent past, they aren't currently murdering anyone and therefore should not be punished.

• Locked thread