Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

If we refuse to punish anyone, then everyone at CIA/military/wherever will just happily do whatever the gently caress they want to whoever they want, because they know we'll just smile and sweep it all under the rug and promise to do better next time.

Do better at preventing anyone from finding out about it in the first place, that is.

Which is why the whistleblower is going to be the only person experiencing any legal consequences from this fiasco.

"Holding the policy accountable" being the best we can do is absolute horseshit. The policy and the people responsible should be held accountable. If the people responsible won't face consequences and they know it, what the hell is the incentive for this poo poo to stop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Proctoclysis is incredibly rare in medical practice as far as I am aware. It's used in some developing countries if IV is unavailable and/or malnutrition is not treatable in any other way. Proctoclysis is sometimes used on severe burn patients where IV fluid replacement is less feasible ( go find a vein between al those burns).

This is not a routine medical procedure, even if it is used on medical grounds in no way does it consist of grounding up dinner an administering the paste rectally. The only reason this was done I can think of is as a shame inducing tool. I sincerely hope that no MD would support this practice.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...tm_term=nprnews

quote:

Rectal Infusion: The report says some detainees were subjected to rectal rehydration "without evidence of medical necessity, and that others were threatened with it." It adds that at least one of the suspects was rectally hydrated for "partially refusing fluids." The report says that CIA medical officers discussed the method's use as a means of behavior control. One medical officer noted: "[W]hile IV infusion is safe and effective,we were impressed with the ancillary effectiveness of rectal infucion on ending water refusal in a similar case."

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Rep. Peter King: Senate Report Not Torture, Just People Having “To Stand In Awkward Positions”

quote:

Rep. Peter King says the 525-page Senate report on the CIA’s interrogation and detention techniques does not detail torture, but instead just procedures which create what King described as “tremendous discomfort.”

Speaking with both local radio and NewsMaxTV’s America’s Forum Wednesday, the New York Republican added it would be a crime if we didn’t take these actions and that those who support the release of the Senate’s scathing report have an attitude of “hate America first,” “self-loathing,” and “self-hatred.”

“I don’t believe these are torture at all. For instance waterboarding, there were medical personnel present during the whole time. It creates tremendous discomfort there’s no doubt about it. It creates tremendous fear, but the fact is there was no lasting damage to these people and we got information from them, which is very helpful,” King Told W-CBS in New York.

“We’re not talking about anyone being burned or stabbed or cut or anything like that. We’re talking about people being made to stand in awkward in positions, have water put into their nose and into their mouth. Nobody suffered any lasting injuries from this.”

I don't even know where to loving start with this, but anyone still blowing this poo poo off as "not torture" should have to demonstrate that they can withstand everything the CIA inflicted on people without breaking a sweat. I'd love to see how that works out.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

joeburz posted:

If it's the segment I was listening to, the guy was such a hack that he tried to say that there wasn't anything even going on past 2004, even though that's explicitly false based on the CIA documentation for years afterwards in the report.

On top of Peter King claiming that nobody was permanently harmed under torture, either these people didn't bother reading even a summary of the summary or they figure they can just flat-out lie and "win the news cycle" among people who want to believe them.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Chamale posted:

When did the transition happen for so many people to start thinking like that? I vaguely remember a time when torture was something bad people did. Obviously that attitude changed somewhere between 9/11 and the end of the Bush Administration, but when the first reports of torture came out were people outraged about them? I guess it was split between the people who said "support the President no matter what" and the other 50% of the country.

Approval of torture has been shockingly high ever since 9/11 but it crossed into a majority right between the Bush and Obama administrations for some reason.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Fox news was part of it and Team Republican Is My Team Right Or Wrong is part of it and let's sock it to the browns is the rest.

Apparently most Republicans (and way too many Democrats) are perfectly fine with torture methods that don't involve assplay.

It's scary how practically every issue nowadays, up to and including crimes against humanity, are sharply divided along party lines.

• Locked thread