Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The only way I see White being weak in Kemet is if you actually mean only getting White upgrades exclusively because you'd basically have no combat upgrades or creatures.

That would be a bad strategy though. I don't think it's advisable to get 100% of your upgrades in any color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Maybe I need to play it more. Our group basically did this since everyone figured to 'double down' on everything. More of a mix does make more sense.

Was it a three player game? I could see a new group of three players looking at the powers and kind of figuring they each focus on one color. My group's first game was five player so doing that was obviously impossible and color picks were all over the place.

But yeah, play with the power combinations and you'll find great combos pretty quick. I'd say it's basically never optimal to focus exclusively on one color. All the colors feel like they have their own strengths and weakness and I think they're balanced pretty well. It's all about the combinations and how you take advantage of what you purchase.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Megasabin posted:

Why is Kemet so expensive right now? Is it out of print? It's 55-70 dollars on Amazon.

The game is too good and everyone is buying it.

Only half-joking here. I don't think it was a hugely anticipated game with much hype behind it so the initial run may not have been that big. I think word of mouth took off once people got their hands on it and spiked demand.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My first game of Kemet was hilarious because two people in the group clearly didn't understand how turn order advantage worked. Each time they were up they put themselves first and whoever they thought was winning last. I tried to explain to them that going last seemed like a good thing but they either didn't believe me or thought I was trying to trick them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Morpheus posted:

So my workplace had a gift exchange. I am mentioning this because I got a copy of Monopoly. Vanilla-rear end monopoly. This is the first time I've ever owned the game in my entire life and I've never wanted to play it less.

Please tell me that this happened because one time around the office you mentioned that you liked board games.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Takkaryx posted:

I wish my group was more strategy-grognard oriented so I could justify picking up Twilight Imperium, but I know I'll never get a chance to play it.

If you want to play Twilight Imperium but you're group isn't right for it, try recruiting PC gamers. I'm not joking either, I recruited two guys who liked PC strategy games (Civilization, Total War, Master of Orion, whatever) to play and they picked up the game like it was nothing. It was their first board game outside of Monopoly and poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I've never played Hanabi and thanks to this thread I never want to. It sounds like it can only go two ways: a cakewalk because the group rampantly cheats, or a non-stop rules lawyer fest over behavioral minutiae. Either way it sounds stupid as hell. Doubly so because the only other game I can think of to compare that rule to would be Battlestar Galactica's similar dumb rule about discussing crisis contributions.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Supreme Court posted:

The attitude of the update is even worse. "If you back anything I make on kickstarter then it's your fault" :psyduck:

Well, I mean he's right.

Don't back Kickstarter stuff unless you're ok receiving poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Deviant posted:

Am I wrong in thinking the Naalu Collective in Twilight Imperium is too good? They just build a massive fleet, then stomp all over any non-military races because you can't diplomacy them before they can crush at least one of your systems.

Come on over to the Twilight Imperium thread! I took the liberty of quoting and responding to your post there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651978&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Just played six hours straight of 7 Wonders with two friends.

Good holiday.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jivjov posted:

Fair enough.

I think you answered your own question when you first asked it.

jivjov posted:

Is the 7 Wonders play mat worth buying? I get that its not super necessary, but the art on it is nice, and I'm wondering if ease-of-table-organization is gonna be enough of an issue to warrant a special mat.

It's an accessory that has next to no functional value but may have nice ascetic value. If you're fine paying for something purely to enhance your game visually then knock yourself out. If you only want accessory that have functional application then you should pass.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Kemet is playable with two people in that same way that Game of Thrones or Twilight Imperium are playable with three people. The box says "yes" but don't you loving dare.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
On the topic of 7 Wonders, how recommended are the expansions? I picked up just the base game recently and so far it's been a big hit with my friends and family. It's getting a lot of play already so I'll probably be wanting to expand it sooner or later.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

T-Bone posted:

Here's the family collection so far, tell me what else to burn money on:

Plays well at 4, 5, or 6 players is a huge plus, I will say. We usually have around that number -- although if there's something awesome for 2 or 3 that's a must have my ears are open.

If you want a good two player option and like strategy games at all I would recommend trying Warhammer Diskwars. Good little strategy game this is a reasonable middle ground because too-light fluff and super heavy grog. Offers nice customization options, sets up and tears down about as easily as a wargame possibly can, and plays in about an hour and a half. Also unlike something like X-Wing (which I do like) the cost of entry is low. You can probably get the core set for $40, which unlike almost every other core set in the universe is actually enough to have a fun game with. If you enjoy the game then there are two expansions that very are reasonably priced ($30 list I believe) that add a lot of great stuff including two completely new races.

It's a great way to break into 1v1 games if you have anything you think would want that kind of experience. Affordable, good theme, good customization, semi-light wargame.

Also, obligatory Kemet recommendation. It's a thread darling for good reason and you don't have it so you should buy it.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 6, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Walker posted:

poo poo, I just spent 8 hours on 3 rounds of Twilight Imperium and I'll never get to play it again.

Every time I see something like this about Twilight Imperium I experience a strong feeling of pain and sorrow because I love the game and this kind of thing doesn't have to happen. I'll bet dollars to donuts it's the host's fault for not preparing beforehand. TI3 may be complex but it's perfectly teachable and it's not difficult to finish the first game on time even if nobody has played before if the host does their homework and understands the rules and the setup before the other players arrive. If they don't then the session is doomed to stall and fail.

I remember someone either here or on BGG posting about how they showed up for their first game of TI3 with a bunch of other newbies and the host had done no preparation whatsoever beyond popping out the plastic and cardboard bits from the packaging. Like once everyone arrived he just whipped out the manual and said "ok, let's learn how to play!" and started reading. I can't imagine more of a nightmare than that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GrandpaPants posted:

Although I have no issues with either of these games and can similarly recommend them, there are a few asterisks attached. Diskwars requires a surprisingly large table for it. The game space itself is supposed to be 3x3 feet, plus you'll want some extra space on the sides for various tokens and whatnot. This is what prevents Diskwars from hitting the table that often. That and I have no idea how to actually store it with the expansions, but that is just my OCD thing.

Kemet is a fantastic game, but I imagine that it loses a lot in 2-3 players since a big part of the game is denying people powers. At lower player counts, players can get whatever they want, which can lead to some degenerate things. Again, great game, but I wouldn't play it with 2 and may hesitate at 3.

These are good points that I agree with and should have mentioned in my post. Diskwars does require more table space than most games. I have a great storage solution for the game /w expansions though and I'll post it shortly.

As for Kemet, I agree that it should not be played with two players under any circumstances. The box says 2-5 but it's a liar just like Game of Thrones. It's a 3-5 player game. I've played it with three players more than once and I think it's perfectly serviceable at the number. A full house is still more enjoyable just for the mayhem and tile-grabbing tension, but a three player game works fine in my opinion.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GrandpaPants posted:

That and I have no idea how to actually store it with the expansions, but that is just my OCD thing.

Chomp's Ultimate Diskwars Storage Solution

Main Box: All the general stuff. Tokens, terrain, deployment cards etc... Include neutral command cards here.

Hammer and Hold Box: All the Good Guy races go here in their own bags. You can combine the Lizards and Wood Elves since they're minor races and don't have many disks. Command cards specific to Order or Order races get a little baggie here.

Legions of Darkness Box: All the Bad Guy races go here in their own bags. You can combine Dark Elves and Skaven since they're minor races and don't have many disks. Command cards specific to Destruction or Destruction races get a little baggie here.

Players who know the game can easily grab what they want with this setup, they just grab the Good Guy or Bad Guy box. Everything they need is there and they can supplement their command cards with neutrals from the main box if necessary. It's also great for getting a new player going! Just ask newbie "do you want to be good guys or bad guys?", then "ok you want bad guys, do you like Orks, Undead, or Demon dudes". If he doesn't know then give him the Bad Guy box and let him look. If he says Orks or something then just give the Ork baggie and the Bad Guy cards. When on the go you can simply stack the three boxes on top of another. They cradle under one arm easily and should be easy to move as long as you aren't trekking a bunch of other games with you as well.

Captain Walker posted:

This happened exactly; coupled with people who also didn't know the rules, and people who never read rules in advance for any reason, which makes playing RPGs with them a loving living hell, it crashed and burned spectacularly. Too bad, I like the game idea but I need friends who are more nerdy. fuckin' casuals ruining the hobby argh blargh etc.

:( My heart...

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 6, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
He was talking about Mage Knight, not TI3 with that comment. However his post was worded awkwardly so I don't blame you for misreading it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

cbirdsong posted:

Hey, guys, remember when we all couldn't just enjoy or at the very least ignore a silly video of distinguished British actresses playing a dirty card game and instead rushed off to post it in a forum thread to demonstrate how much we hate the card game?

You're right, I can't believe he commented on a board game related video in the board game thread where said game is regularly discussed.

What was he thinking?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Azran posted:

Out of curiosity, what would be the best "gateway drug" games for friends & family whose gaming experience include Risk, Monopoly and Clue?

I would recommend 7 Wonders for this. Easy to learn, difficult to master so it's good for new or serious players. Also being a card game is a plus since the lack of a big intimidating board helps put "the casuals" at ease, as does the short play time (which makes it easy to play multiple rounds!)

Azran posted:

And while we are at it, my friends are huge GoT dorks - is the board game any good?

Liking Game of Thrones is way, WAY secondary to liking cutthroat strategy games when it comes to the board game. If you just try to bring in any random GoT fans (gamers or otherwise) to it you'll end up with a disaster. The theme is not remotely enough to hold people if they aren't already predisposed to strategy games, and don't even think about bringing it to the table for a group that likes to "play nice". That said if you have right the right group I think it's a very enjoyable game, but don't listen to that dirty liar of a box: only play with 5-6 players. And if it's five players then look up a variant for handling the missing player because the printed rules for handling less than six players are insanely stupid.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Narrator posted:

I would actually recommend holding off on 7 Wonders in favour of Dominion or Carcassonne. 7 Wonders has a ton of symbols and a few different ways of scoring points which IME can make it intimidating for new players. It's a fine third game, but someone who's only played monopoly etc. in the past might find it all a bit overwhelming.

I think that if someone finds 7 Wonders overwhelming then they can find literally any game in the universe overwhelming. Maybe on an individual level some people might find it more difficult than Dominion or whatever else, but on the whole I think it's about as entry level as a game can get. Hell my mom thought that Catan was "too complicated and confusing" and even she loves 7 Wonders and got the hang of it after a practice game.

If someone can't grasp 7 Wonders then they're probably just never going to grasp tabletop games ever.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

LemonAIDS posted:

Lets say I'm outside an enemies city and they attack me. If I lose or play the escape DI card can I retreat into their city?

The winner of a battle chooses where retreating forces go (assuming they don't recall). So technically you could end up inside the city after losing a battle outside it, but only if the winner decided to put you there or if he was forced to do so because all other adjacent spaces were occupied (very unlikely).

The Escape scenario gets funky. The wording of the card seems to indicate that yes, you could go inside the city with it, since you're still beginning your movement from directly outside the walls, and the errata clarifies that Escape can be used to move into the zone that the attacker came from. However keep in mind that you can only move into an empty city district, and if Escape is used then the movement of the attacking army does not end. This means that if the attacking army can move two or more spaces in a movement (very likely if a creature is involved) then he can simply come right back into whatever quadrant you entered and re initiate the battle. His own walls don't affect him, so it doesn't matter where his movement began.

LemonAIDS posted:

Like if you've used both your prayers and moves and have no prayer left to upgrade or recruit. Do you just miss your turn?

Basically. You can always "perform" your five actions because you're technically allowed to recruit 0 or move 0 spaces. So in a worst case scenario prayer x 2 plus no-move x 2 plus recruit 0 = 5 actions. You just put your token on the action but don't spend/move anything. If you horrifically run into this scenario while possessing a silver token as well then I guess you would just put it on pyramid upgrade or red/blue/white power purchase but not do anything.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Holey moley, that can't be standard setup for eight players. The homeworlds are only two spaces apart? Madness.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Morpheus posted:

My friend has suggested we have a multi-day (a few hours a day, nothing more) session of Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition, with a lot of players. Is this a terrible idea y/n

If you live a magical life were you can assemble the same 6-8 people on a regular basis (every other day at most) with nobody missing then, go for it. If you live in reality then yes it is a terrible idea because you will never be able to assemble the whole group more than like once a month and in that amount of time everyone will forget what was happening and you have a big rear end table that has been sacrificed to the Twilight God and can't be used for any other purpose because you can't just setup and tear down the whole game mid-session.

So unless you mean "we're all on vacation together and are going to play over a three day weekend" or you're all college students living in the same complex or something it is an awful idea.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I play most of my board games in a pub, in public. Which has been the limiting factor in getting Space Alert.
And assuming I know nothing of Space Alert other than 'It's good' and 'It needs its soundtrack', would there be any way to mitigate the soundtrack thing?

Tekopo posted:

To be honest, I tried to do the Pub Space Alert thing and it just doesn't work. You can have someone read out the soundtrack but you still need to be able to hear stuff. The App does have everything on the screen but its still better to hear stuff rather than read it from a screen.

Agreeing with Tekopo. If you can only play in a pub then just skip it. Playing Space Alert in a pub sounds like a great way to be a group of loud, obnoxious fuckwads for everyone else in the building to hate, and trying to play it quiet just won't really work.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Aye, I guess my initial judgment was right. Thanks thread.

Yeah, you had the right of it. If your group ever ends up meeting at someone's house/apt though then bust out Space Alert post haste! Great game, just not at all suited to public places.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Catan is in the same place as Cosmic Encounters I'd say. It's outdated and unpalatable to serious gamers, but it can still function fine as a gateway game and often goes over well with new players. Like, now that I'm into the hobby I realize that 7 Wonders is a much better game than Catan and functions better as a light game to play with less serious gamers. But Catan was my gateway game, the one that a friend brought out to play back when I still didn't know that board games meant anything other than Risk and Monopoly, and it did the job well. It's a flawed game for sure, but it's still fun and digestible to new players and I'm sure to this day it still does a lot of legwork bringing people into the hobby.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

echoMateria posted:

The problem a good number of people has with Cosmic Encounter is caused by its die hard fans like SU&D and Dice Tower naming it as the best board & card game ever and putting it on #1 on their lists year after year. Nobody cares what the other guy has fun playing. But when some of the most influential people in the hobby keep doing this, you wonder if they ever heard of a quote that starts with "With great power...".

Yeah, this is probably a huge part of it actually. I mean thinking about Robinson Crusoe, that's a game that some people here like, and some people do not like. Either way it seems to be accepted that it's not very solid mechanically and can have huge quarterbacking and luck issues, but that it can be still a fun game to play with the right group and comes with a good theme. That's all well and good, we recognize it's strengths and flaws and while it's not considered a great example of game design, nobody really gets upset if someone else enjoys it. But if SUSD or Wil Wheaton declared Robinson Crusoe THE BEST COOP GAME EVER MADE 10/10 MUST BUY we would lose our loving poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"Hmm I hope you're not trolling, so here is my very serious and well thought out rebuttal"

*posts eight paragraph long metaphor about board game personalities as super heroes*

e:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

MildManeredManikin posted:

I mean, I don't think all the metaphors in there are the best mechanically, but it brought some new ideas and I had fun reading it and isn't that what really matters?

Great job following up that awful post with a joke that's already been driven into the ground.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mister Sinewave posted:

Oh, but on the other hand we played a few times with one of my wife's co-workers. Never needs reminding of anything, sharp player, and only needs something explained once. :swoon: :vince:

Time to trade the wife out for a newer model.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
While Kickstarter games present problems with traditional distribution, the much bigger problem they present is that they're usually lovely games cobbled together by people with zero experience.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tekopo posted:

Who doesn't like to crack a cold one once in a while.

:vince:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My friend just got his copy of Scoville (a Kickstarter game), and due to travel schedules it made sense for him to have it shipped to my place since he'll be here in a couple days. He told me to go ahead and open it up so I did, and... gah. I've don't think I've ever opened up a game and been less interested. The theme is boring, the humor is lazy, and I just feel like learning it will be pain I'd rather not bother with.

I'll probably roped into playing it no matter what, so hopefully it will end up being more interesting than it looks. At least the first day of his visit is already set aside for six player game of Twilight Imperium. I suppose after that I'll be in good enough spirits for anything.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Wow that WSJ article about the Packers and Catan has some hidden gems.

quote:

“At first we’re like, ‘What the hell is this? Brick? Wool? What kind of game is this?’”

quote:

Packers center Garth Gerhart was intrigued by the game, because teammates were “talking about it all the time, all the different strategies.” He wasn’t expecting such cutthroat competition until he sat down with them two weeks ago and, he said, longtime players ensured his failure. “Everyone is super competitive, so when you first start playing they don’t tell you all the rules. So you start your moves and they say ‘well, actually you can’t do that’ and it sort of screws you in the game,” Gerhart said. “They get very salty.”

quote:

Perillo, in passing, mentioned on a local radio show that he and his teammates had played the game the night before. Pat Fuge, who runs Gnome Games, a Green Bay game store, was flooded with texts and calls about it. Packers have occasionally come into Gnome Games—where the events include Pokémon and Magic: The Gathering releases—but those players were there to buy backgammon or other basic games

“When the average person sees the Packers doing it, it becomes a safe thing. That it’s not the kids in mom’s basement anymore,” Fuge said.

The Packers’ embrace of the game become such a phenomenon that the store put a sign up that said “Be cool like Justin Perillo, play Catan!” The Packer players quickly noticed it. “We thought it was hilarious,” Linsley said.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lord Frisk posted:

I've had people ask the same about Pandemic. And Twilight Struggle. If it has a world map, it's gotta be risk, right?

The Wall Street Journal would say "in Twilight Struggle players try to win support from other countries by using 'influence' instead of troops. Think of it like 'Risk' set in the Cold War!"

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 16, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Durendal posted:

There's something I have been pondering lately - why is it that no one has been able to improve upon Dominion? So many games have come and gone over the last six years yet not one has been able to improve upon its formula. Did Donald sell his soul or something? Or did he just some how make a game that is mechanically flawless?

It just boggles my mind that nothing has come along to bump it off the deck building throne.

Who knows, somebody probably has made a better one but this thread is always so busy jerking it's dick and spraying huge loads all over the place every time someone mentions the name "Dominion" that we'd probably never hear about a better game even if one came out.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Broken Loose posted:

I wish you were banned. You're a terrible loving gimmick, and if you aren't a gimmick, I wish nothing but absolute agony on you. I hope you wake up to your loved one's cold corpse in the passenger seat of your car, leaving you nothing a barrage of bile and hatred from her family and a piercing trauma that gives you panic attacks each time you see the loving sun rise. The fact that a person like you could conceivably exist and is keeping this company afloat is why McCain and Palin achieved more than 0 votes in the 2008 election. You are proof that this world is hell. I would rather these forums be populated by nothing but 7thBatallions, Noctis Horrendaes, TheBluePyramids, and Hollismasons all hopped up on drugs, fashioning greenstuff teeth for each other and bashing together Hammerheads out of dog poo poo and chicken bones, than ever be confirmed that you genuinely believe the puke-ocalypse of fanaticism and horseshit that you expouse online. gently caress.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

You're my inspiration Broken Loose!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I played a couple hours of Dominion online with my buddy using that German whatever client "Brett Spiel Welt" or something. It was pretty fun and thanks to computerized assistance it was a fast, fun pace. I can't imagine the game being anything but torture if I had to play it with real cards, especially with a four or more people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Alright boys, get em.