Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I prefer putting my white pyramid on 2 and buy Slaves with my first action. The PP economy that card gives you is incredible.

Granted, I haven't won a game of Kemet yet, but I've only played twice and I was pretty close in the second game. I can confirm that Crusade and Scorpion are great together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

In my last game, I grabbed Slaves, Crusade and Scorpion, I got all four Pyramids to 4 and I was generally almost maxed on prayer points.

The problem I ran into was only having one recruit action each turn.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Madmarker posted:

Thats when you try and grab Divine Will and laugh like a madman. Also reinforcements is a great tile to spend some money on if you are flush in prayers. But I've been in your shoes, thats why I tend to only take 1 or 2 white engine cards, as often that is more than enough.

I didn't get my blue pyramid up until late. Someone else had already grabbed Divine Will and it was too late for Reinforcements to do much work.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Jedit posted:

All four pyramids, huh? :rolleyes:

Yeah, didn't you know about the super secret American pyramid? If you get all three pyramids to level 4, you get a fourth pyramid that's worth 3 points at level 4. It's pretty great.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Stan Taylor posted:

Anything else I should pick up or download and print out to make playing it easier? I've never really played a pen and paper RPG before, and I have a feeling it will be sort of like herding cats to get people to cooperate and pay attention during setup stuff...

All you need to play Fiasco in pens, paper and four six-sided dice per player, in two different colors. Don't treat Fiasco as an RPG, treat it like improvising a film and starring it in yourselves.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ravendas posted:

Isn't there only a single reference sheet?

I'm not saying he has to teach each one. I'm saying each person either reads each one, or goes 'gently caress it' and buys random things and has a bad first game.

Your group doesn't have a reference sheet for each player?

Corbeau, you really spoil us.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Apparently when putting together your ship, any piece already in place is fixed and new pieces have to match all connections. I always played it as you only had to match one, but this lead to hilarious events of ships falling apart after one hit that I thought was a feature.

The way I was taught is that after you finish building, everyone checks each other's ship and if anyone has any connectors that don't fit, part of their ship falls off.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

Which is a little disappointing, really.

Agreed. Building your awesome awesome ship and having someone else check it and see that you have an illegal connection holding on half of your ship is great.

And I say this as someone who doesn't like Galaxy Trucker.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

OmegaGoo posted:

There's something wrong with you... but I'll forgive you if you're ok or better with Space Alert.

You are not wrong! I have a lot of respect for Vlaada as a designer and I really like Dungeon Lords and Tash-Kalar, but something about "spend a bunch of time stressing and then lose all agency and watch the game destroy you" doesn't sit right with me.

In Dungeon Lords, after the year, you still have agency in dealing with your adventurers; you can still get obliterated by spells and by the fatigue being wrong and that's fine. In Galaxy Trucker, I build my ship, push it off and then sit there for 10 minutes waiting for the cards to decide my fate.

I think all of Vlaada's games are really well-designed and well-put together. However, for me, personally, most of them aren't fun.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gimnbo posted:

I understand your point but I think that to characterize Galaxy Trucker's flight phase like that doesn't give it enough credit. There are still decisions to be made, even if you are at the whim of the event deck. It's not like the resolution phase of Space Alert.

You're right, I'm being more than a little hyperbolic; there is still agency in the flight phase, but the decisions tend to be pretty binary: "which planet do I take?" "do I spend days or not?"

So, yeah, you still get to do stuff, but your decisions don't feel as interesting or as weighty?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I knew even considering posting about Vlaada was playing with fire.

Vlaada is a great designer. He makes really really great, clever and awesome board games. I like a number of his games and I RESPECT all of them.

However, I don't enjoy all of them. I know I'm invoking the word that we hate around here and I'm trying really hard to stress the distinction.

Just like we've always said people can have fun playing objectively worse games, it's equally possible for people to play objectively amazing games and not have fun.

I'm not trying to say there's anything wrong with any game that Vlaada has made and you guys don't need to bristle. I just don't enjoy Galaxy Trucker.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

:words: about Hanabi.

Yeah, I loving love Hanabi. Unfortunately, I don't get to play it very often because one member of my regular group really dislikes it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I have a chance to get my hands on a copy of the Dungeon Lords: Happy Anniversary edition. I've heard good things about the game but have never had a chance to play it. Is it a good game and would it be worth it?

The game is spectacular.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gimnbo posted:

I'm at a super casual level in Dominion, so when I have bad opening draws I'm perfectly content to pick up silver. .
Well, seeing as Silver is one of the best buys you can make in the opening rounds, I'm not sure what this is supposed to prove.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

A Facebook friend of mine from college recently posted a photo of Adventure Time Munchkin and a bottle of alcohol saying "Floor party!"

I bit my tongue REALLY hard. Metaphorically.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

goodness posted:

Right in the second post where it says just because you think a game is bad doesn't mean it is bad/not fun for other people?

And just because you think the game is fun doesn't mean it is fun for other people.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I don't like Munchkin because the gameplay is shallow, the jokes are stupid and the game takes far too long.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

You know a game is bad when even Rutibex won't defend it.

You are on fire today.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Blamestorm posted:

I would really love to play a privateer/elite style space trading game but I don't believe there is a good one out there. The three major ones I'm aware of now are Merchant of Venus, Firefly and Xia and all seem to be flawed at best. Merchants and marauders, minus theme, seems to be closest in practice. Is there anything major out there I am missing?

Terra Prime?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

My absolute favorite co-op is Hanabi.

People have mentioned Forbidden Island/Desert as decent to good co-ops, but I can't really speak to their quality.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Fungah! posted:

Yo, just a heads-up, Tash-Kalar's up on BGA now. You should probably be excited about that if you're not gutter trash

This is fantastic news.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

goodness posted:

Sounds exactly like what people think Legacy MtG is.

Fixed that for you. It's a common misconception perpetuated by people who haven't paid attention to Magic in the last...well, ever?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gort posted:

Is this actually the case, though? Just like in Battlestar Galactica, a traitor can't do infinite damage in a single turn - he might well need two or more turns in order to do sufficient damage to win the game, so waiting until the last minute to reveal might well be a losing strategy.

The fact that a traitor has to stay hidden makes this way way harder. In BSG, if you get found, you're still in the game and you can still impact it. In DoW, if you get found, you're exiled and you get a completely different win condition that you might not be able to complete.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

Just got the chance to play Sentinels of the Multiverse today and had a blast with it. There are some flaws, but everyone had fun and we had some good losses and some good wins (varying from one silly win where we just locked a boss down until he slowly was chipped to death while we took 0 damage and healed each round, and one game where we curbstomped the boss to death in ~6 turns). Our group really enjoys co-op games. Are there any more in this vein with a nice quick setup time, ~1-1.5 hour play time, that are co-op?

HANABI.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

BonHair posted:

Board Game Thread 4e: Just get Hanabi.

And Kemet.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The use of symbols is helpful, but upper left and lower center are nigh-indistinguishable to me.

This is inexcusable. The first two are essentially the same color and I can only barely tell the difference when they're right next to each other.

If we're talking about games that are rough for colorblind people, gently caress ARCHIPELAGO.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Do you mean the colours are indistinguishable for you? I should have explained that you can completely ignore the colours and just use the symbols instead, since they are directly equivalent.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I realize the symbols are directly equivalent and that's a really good thing.

Still, I've managed to grab the wrong colors in Ticket to Ride, so.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

This is a great story. Happy birthday!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

What are some good games with an auction mechanic?

Power Grid.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

T-Bone posted:

How would you guys compare Kemet vs. Cyclades? Does Dominant Species factor at all in here, or completely different ballgame?

I haven't played Cyclades, but Kemet and DS are very different games. Kemet is a fairly aggressive territory control game, while Dominant Species is a more passive aggressive worker placement based territory control game.

The worker placement aspect and how the actions resolve makes Dominant Species work really differently.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yas posted:

You may have the worker placement passive blocking, but the Depletion, Glaciation, Competition and Domination are all directly aggressive.
Fair.

quote:

I don't know how heavy Kemet is, but if it is similar to something like Chaos in the Old World then Dominant Species is decidedly longer and heavier
Accurate. Kemet's probably a bit less heavy than CitOW

quote:

(and better :ssh: ).
Debatable.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

bobvonunheil posted:

Cribbage is boss. Cribbage goons represent.

There is a variant of cribbage where you play cards one at a time in a 5x5 grid, and one player scores 5-card Cribbage hands vertically while the other scores them horizontally. It's a great game you can play with a standard deck of cards.

(edit: rules for this variant are here. It helps to know what cribbage hands are the 'best' - the highest scoring cribbage hands are the likes of 5-5-5-5-10, 6-7-7-8-8, etc)

Cribbage is amazing. I'm going to read this variant and play it with a friend sometime soon. Thanks!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Krazyface posted:

About ten copies of Euphoria just appeared at my local games store. It looks kind of interesting, a Euro with some real theme to it. It briefly came up a couple pages ago. Is it any good?

I liked it the one time I played it. It's a dice based worker placement game where having the most workers isn't necessarily the best idea. The numbers on the die doesn't affect the action for the most part and having high numbers is generally bad.

Also, the theme is about building a dystopia. It's pretty cool.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

Rutibex appearing to defend the image in t-minus ten posts.

Rutibex posted:

I'm not in love with the mechanics, but I had fun reading it and in the end that's all that matters right?

Holy poo poo. This thread in a nutshell. :master:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Paper Kaiju posted:

I'm going to risk sounding anal retentive, because it will matter later on, but during the Buy phase you do not HAVE to play as many Treasure cards as you have; you can choose to hold some back. As far as I can recall, there is zero reason to hold any back when playing the base game (since they'll just be discarded anyways during Clean-up), but the expansions do contain some cards (Mint being one of the big ones) where you may have a reason, so knowing that distinction early will save learning players a few headaches down the line.

Knowing that there's an order to playing your Treasures is useful for when you play with Bank.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

Had a weird thought, what if you wanted to play monopoly but monopoly blows, so whats a good game that revolves around auction mechanics instead of just making deals on the sly like chinatown or lords of vegas?

Power Grid.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm pretty sure that's only 6 players.

Oh wait, I counted the colors wrong. Wow, that is 8 players.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That sounds like a really really watered down version of Battlestar Galactica.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm rather skeptical of a fully cooperative version of BSG with a ton of the rules removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

played more dominion as it is now all I want to do, one game tried to go BM/Council Room but then got cruelly pipped out at the end by my friend's giant clusterfuck of crap resulting in him hoovering up 10 gardens in two turns while I just failed to draw the coins to buy Provinces and end the game before he could pull it off. This game has really captured the hearts of me and a couple of friends, it's small playercount working to its advantage with regards to getting games going.

Anyway, this is the part where I ask what expansions come recommended for Dominion because drat there's a lot of them and they all look pretty cool. Paging Broken Loose to the thread. We've been playing exclusively with the base set up to this point.

Go in release order, but skip Alchemy.

So that's Intrigue -> Seaside -> Prosperity. I don't know what came after Prosperity, because I was (and still am) burned out on Dominion.