Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
As of yet, it's not a collectible game, each pack has exactly what's shown on the cover.

As far as I'm aware, as a playtester, there are no plans to make any figures that are limited runs with any unique gameplay elements.

Rather, if exclusives do happen, they would likely be cosmetically different versions of existing characters with the same abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

As I recall, 504 was super underwhelming? Did anyone actually investigate it?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Sarx posted:

Full Disclosure: I worked at the creative studio that designed the game and contributed small amounts of work to it.

So it sounds like you and I might know each other, because I worked at that studio all of last year.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Frozen Peach posted:

I just got a box of Roxley Iron Clays. They're gorgeous.

https://iron-clays-and-spades.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

I have two of these sets and yeah, they're awesome

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzngkY7W6Rg

I worked on this game and it is VERY good. Definitely keep an eye out for it.

Edit: Actually, I worked on all three games mentioned in this video and Pan Am is by far the best.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 15, 2020

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I don't see the full rules released anywhere publicly right now, so I highly doubt it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Crackbone posted:

Looks like TTR with extra steps.

That's fair, but the extra steps are super interesting and make it MUCH more than a TTR clone.

If it helps, the designer is Peter Lee who also worked on Lords of Waterdeep.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Stickman posted:

Here's the Pan Am manual that was posted on BGG for a while. I'm hoping this is okay since the manual is fully visible in Vasel's unboxing video, but I can take down the link if it's not!

Thanks for posting this!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

Back again with more basic questions: When it comes to Ticket to Ride, are the different locations just that - different locations? We were going to try and get the Asia one u less there’s some specific reason we should get the normal one first.

Some of the expansions are just the board and no basic components.

The different boards tend to have some different rules associated with them.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Pan-Am looks good but the dice roll to determine which player they buy routes from seems like a critical flaw? It seems like every game from Pros. Hall has to insert a die effect that kills the game.

The die doesn't doesn't determine who gets bought from, it determines the direction and speed at which Pan Am expands from Miami. If you claim routes ahead of the expansion, you will eventually be bought out.

You can also ignore the expansion if you want to.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Dr Tran posted:

Pan Am looks fun

Yeah, the game is very good.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

Always forget that Target exists and that the US gets these strange relationships with board games and the big retailers.

Target existing and being willing to sell Pan Am was a big factor in the game getting produced at all.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Due to my best friend's proficiency at winning board games, our Discord group has been renamed to GODDAMMIT BRIAN.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

no one can ever match the posting spirit of broken loose :rip:

Whatever happened to BL?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Boxman posted:

I know the first one is Saheeli Rai and Felidar Guardian, but I quit paying attention around Kaladesh. What are the others?

Nexus of Fate, an instant speed Time Warp that shuffles in instead of going to the yard and Oko, Thief of Crowns, which is a planeswalker that... honestly just look it up.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Codeacious posted:

In the world of endless magic and mysterious power, a strong way to consistently heal is just eat some food.

(I don't know if food tokens are good or not but I love the idea of a Planeswalker just munching on bacon to recover after being blasted by a giant dragon.)

A bunch of cards have Food synergy, but they're all from the same set. As a mechanic, Food is very whatever.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I've been away from the thread for a spell, what's the new hotness?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

:blush::blush:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Not sure how long but here's what comes to mind from the past few years
Less than a year

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

If you're looking for something cheapish for an even number of people with a nice diverse set of unique characters, take a look at Funkoverse Strategy Game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ok what's the best Legacy Boardgame? Whatever it is I want it.

Gloomhaven

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hot take: factions don't have to be perfectly balanced.

Case in point: CitOW and Root

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

To be clear, I'm not saying balance doesn't matter at all.

Then again, I've only played Scythe once.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Infinitum posted:

So anyway.

Can anyone recommend anything similar to:
- Fury of Dracula
- Whitehall Mystery/Letters from Whitechapel
- Scotland Yard
- Last Friday

I'm pottering around in the background with a couple of board game ideas I'd like to prototype, and I'd like to see some more examples of 'hidden movement' on a map games.
Also if there is any particular hidden movement mechanics you like seeing let me know.

Have you played Tragedy Looper?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah I actually vastly prefer the turn based mode.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Best way to remember is that you get points for removing cardboard, not wood.

Unless you're the Vagabond, but he plays very differently.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

You aren't fond of Pan Am? I've had it in my shopping cart for a while but just hold off pulling the trigger for some reason despite the fact I've heard nothing but good things.

I'm a bit biased, since I playtested Pan Am through many different versions, but I absolutely LOVE the game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh no, TMG died?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Jedit posted:

Yes, in July. They'd been robbing Peter to pay Paul on their KS projects and the tower inevitably toppled.

That's a real shame (both the collapse and the business practice), I like a lot of their games.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tekopo posted:

It's exactly the same for testing board games. You are basically playing broken versions of games over and over and over again until you find something that doesn't fall apart. You need to find people that are willing to do some crazy strategies where they do only one thing the entire game and see if it is balanced. By the end of the process you won't want to play that game ever again.

I'm pretty lucky then; I've playtested a lot of games I never want to play again, but there's a few that I still love.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Picking a 1 was a Cylon tell. Not picking a 3 wasn't necessarily a Cylon tell, but it was something that got everyone's attention.

Unfathomable's 12 distance is actually a BSG house rule that we started using here.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

with BSG I wouldn't play without exactly 5 players, so likely also 5 with Unfathomable.

6 with a Cylon Leader became a close second after Daybreak

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Infinitum posted:

It's the principal of the thing now :v:

Cathedrals have cardinals, schools have principals.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Wife and I just lost the second scenario to Jaws of the Lion because I wanted to hoover up all the money.

Working as intended.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

silvergoose posted:

I really enjoyed that designer diary or whatever it was, it really shone a light into how well thought out dominion was.

Village is a card he intentionally designed to separate good players from bad.

Almost every player I've played with LOVES Village analogues.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

nordichammer posted:

Drawing cards is fun

Smithy draws three cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I know I'm just a random guy on the internet, but I did a ton of playtesting work on Jurassic Park Legacy and while I agree the price tag is higher than it should be (I told the producer that), the game is quite solid and has pretty great legacy elements.