Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Mage Knight is able to play up to 5 right? I want to say i vaguely remember reading that you're able to since there's Wolfhawk and Krang. Does anybody know how that works if i'm not just pulling this rule out of my rear end? Also i might be getting to play this Saturday with 2 complete newbies and with 2 that haven't played in a long time so what would be the best scenario to play that isn't the tutorial one? I was thinking co-op since there's less pressure if everybody is working together.

You should not play Mage knight with 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

stuff about Forge War

Maybe I've read way too many rulebooks, but all of this stuff made perfect sense to me the first time around.

For a game of this complexity I actually thought the rulebook was really good.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

more about the manual

It wasn't confusing because the component manifest on pages 2-3 clearly spelled out the different types of cards (color and number) and the setup cards and which card backs represent market cards.

the setup page is a full two page spread on pages 4-5, and then on page 6-7 you get an explanation for the card numbers and colors in the box on the bottom of page 7.

Components, Setup, Beginning of rules. Other games use the exact same order. A game with this many components needed a full spread to list them all, so there wasn't space to do the color/number explanation before the setup.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I played Dead of Winter for the first and only time tonight.

It was really bad. Super random, most of the time unavoidably so.

I'm unlikely to ever play it again.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

What're the thread's thoughts on Lancaster?

I vaguely recall someone saying it's "a better Game of Thones than Game of Thones" and after reading the rules I can see some of the similarities.

I also have The New Laws expansion, I'm assuming I should play the base game a few times first?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

What do I need to know in order to crush my friends at our first game of Argent: The Consortium?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Argent: Jebus.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Every copy of Lords of Waterdeep should be recycled to make more copies of Forge War.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Does the double agent card do anything different?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

This is specifically why I think Seven Wonders is a brilliant game at three players, a good game at four and maaaaybe five players, and a bad game above that.

This is the problem: There are gazillions of brilliant games at 3-4 players. 7 Wonders' versatility at different player counts is one of its best selling points. Unfortunately, it's only worth playing at a player count at which there's tons of better choices.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Azran posted:

Meanwhile, Privateer Press have released their Descent/D&D Adventure System clone's tutorial video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldBFgCnJ0Ms

I'm not feeling it, really. Maybe because the board is kinda bland.

That board is terrible.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Check CSI's prices on some of those amazon "deals" before buying - amazon's sale price for a bunch are $4-5 higher than CSI's regular price.

Today I am attempting to play
EPIC MOTHERFUCKING FORGE WAR (3 player, all vets)
Patchistory
Argent: The Consortium (3 player, all vets)
Poseidon
(simplified 18XX)
in 8 hours.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 1, 2015

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

edit: double post

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Malloreon posted:

Today I am attempting to play
EPIC MOTHERFUCKING FORGE WAR (3 player, all vets)
Argent: The Consortium (3 player, all vets)

Got through these two in 7.5 hours, though Argent was with 4.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

SlyFrog posted:

You could go in my direction - buy almost everything, end up trying nothing.

Because, you know, I buy games for the imaginary day in the future when I will actually get to play them. When I'm not distracted by watching something on television. Or work. Or the aching sadness that is my consumerist life.

This is me and I'm currently trying to reduce my ~650 game collection to 400. It's slow going trying to organize local-only trades, but shipping board games is way too expensive.

(any bay area, ca goons want to trade, my BGG username is the same as this one)

also, the new BGG redesign in progress looks...pretty good!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Gutter Owl posted:

Ugh, I'm all the way down to Russian Railroads. Gotta step up my shitposting game.

Quick, someone give me a game to be offended by.

Agricola is a terrible game and only sad and unhappy people enjoy it.

Also Feld has yet to make a game worth playing more than zero times.

There I said it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Lord Frisk posted:

"The only good use of dice in a modern board game"

- some genius, about CoB

Alien Frontiers

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mojo Jojo posted:

Yes, but what would be a good game in a very small box then?

(You're right that Dominion is no TI3 or Cthulthu Wars, but it's still too large to take on trips)

Intrigue is an extremely good game in a very small box for 4-5 people. Think of it as Diplomacy in an hour.

It's a negotiation knife fight that will destroy friendships. In a good way!

Each player has 4 offices that pay different salaries per turn: 1K, 3K, 6K, and 10K. you also have 8 dudes, 2 each of 4 different types.
Your own dudes can't work in your offices. The game lasts 5 rounds.

Each player's turn, they collect income from all their dudes working in other players' offices, from the bank. Then they resolve their conflicts/hire dudes. After that, they send two of their dudes to other player(s) offices.

Conflict resolution depends on the type - internal or external. External first, then internal. External conflicts are when you have two dudes in front of you who are the same type. You can only have one of each dude type. The players who control those dudes bribe you with money and promises then you choose which one to hire and put them in the job/income you agreed upon. The other one dies.

Internal conflicts arise because I've already hired someone for my 6K job and someone comes looking for the same job. Starting with the player already in the job, we renegotiate the terms of their employment. with bribes and promises. Then the newcomer makes their case. with bribes and promises. Finally I decide who gets the job. The other one dies.

That's the entire game, and it is amazing. Also it's $18 on CSI.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 9, 2015

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Tips/impressions/reviews for/on/of Viceroy, Francis Drake, and Among the Stars?

I'm gonna try to play each of them tonight for the first time. Among the Stars looks like a slightly enhanced 7 wonders clone and I'm guessing I'll be disappointed, cause 7 wonders is dumb.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Malloreon posted:

Tips/impressions/reviews for/on/of Viceroy, Francis Drake, and Among the Stars?

I'm gonna try to play each of them tonight for the first time. Among the Stars looks like a slightly enhanced 7 wonders clone and I'm guessing I'll be disappointed, cause 7 wonders is dumb.

I ended up playing none of these! Played Barony and Tesla vs. Edison.

Barony is the new game by the Splendor guy. It is much, MUCH better than Splendor. It is a very quick (45 min) area control game about knights. I can go into more detail, but after 1 play I was ready to buy it, as I think it'll be good with people who don't play a lot of board games, but really good when people get a few plays under their belts.

Tesla vs. Edison...I'm not sure about. I think too much of the final scores came with stock manipulation in the last 2 rounds. Also I think Edison might be a tad overpowered compared to some of the other inventors. In particular, the manufacturing inventor/luminaries seem weak. Again I can go into more detail if people want. Next time I'd play it I'd keep a much better eye on the stock market.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

Thanks, it's nice to get one not condescending rear end in a top hat answer.

None of those answers were condescending.

Sentinels is a really bad game. Give any random hand for any hero, there's one (usually very clear) optimal play choice to make.

So the only interesting part must be figuring out what to target? Nope, cause there's also pretty much one optimal choice there too.

Back in my "buy everything" phase I got nearly everything Sentinels put out, I think finally stopping at Vengeance.

It is a terrible game even before you look at the bad art. I've managed to trade away a bunch of it, but I still have loads more, and I genuinely feel guilt when anyone expresses interest in taking some of it off my hands.

Put more succinctly: none of them are good expansions. They don't fundamentally change a really bland and bad ruleset, and though the heroes get slightly more complex, none of them have more than one correct thing to do. So you either have your one great combo in hand and do it, or you don't, and your turn feels wasted.

That's the sum of Sentinels.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 13, 2015

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

It's condescending in the sense that you/they consider it a bad game but the person asking the question obviously does not, so rather than answer the question they just shat on it.

Personally I think it's a fun game regardless of how deep the strategy is. I like the theme and it has a lot of variety with the heroes/villains/locations/etc. The heroes may not have a lot of variety within their own deck, but there's a ton of heroes to choose from. The one point I do agree with (although not quite how you said it) is that fairly often you can be screwed into a pointless turn. So in a 4 player game that can leave you with some boring downtime. Nearly every time I've played has been 2 player with 2 characters each though, so it wasn't an issue.

edit: To give my take on the expansions, I thought they all had at least one interesting hero so as was previously mentioned, just look at which heroes are in each and pick what you think sounds the best. Vengeance does add a new mechanic (battle against a team of villains) but I didn't like that aspect much.

You've just said "each individual hero is boring, but they make up for it in volume of heroes."

AKA "each individual game is boring, but the good thing is no two games are the same!"

EDIT: If you really want a coop superhero game, play Legendary: Marvel. It's not amazing, but it is infinitely better than Sentinels. I've also heard good things, but haven't played, Heroes Wanted. Avoid the DC Deckbuilding Game at all costs.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 14, 2015

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

I didn't say each individual hero is boring, I said that each individual hero doesn't have a lot of variety within their deck (meaning that each hero plays one way, because that's how it's supposed to be). There are multiple things for each hero to do but you will play that hero the same each time you play that hero.

Dude you are making my point for me. If each hero plays one way then the only thing that matters is how well you shuffle.

Then the real game becomes "Oh, we're playing Villain X in Environment Y. I better bring heroes Z, A, B, and C."

[random shuffling and drawing]

"We won!"

or

"We lost!"

If a majority of a game's choices come in making one-time decisions during setup, there's no need to play the game. Just flip a coin a few times.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Oldstench posted:

Barony is pretty good.

Yeah man, I played it once last night and I really liked it.

We had a mountain range that cleanly cut off 1/3 of the map - I didn't see it in time, but the other two players did. One of them managed to seal it off, but for some reason instead of maximizing the points from that, he branched out. I think he thought the game would last long enough that he could always come back and focus on territory only he had access to. The other guy won, I came in third.

But the game is exceptionally short. Just when the board is starting to fill up, it's over. I really like that aspect, especially because individual turns are quick.

However, the thing I like the most about it after one play is that there is nothing surprising about player actions. because movement over the map is so slow, if someone is coming to attack you, you can see it coming. You can't always stop them, which causes some tension, but you can see them coming.

I thought at first that would frustrate me, but I ended up enjoying the challenge it provided.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

BonHair posted:

Anyway: Agricola: All creatures big and small is A Good Game™, right?

It's a great game! it's also the only version of Agricola worth playing ever.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

nonatomic retain posted:

"Star Trek: Frontiers, which is based on Vlaada Chvátil's Mage Knight, is coming "soon" from Andrew Parks and @WizKidsGames." :getin:

Andrew Parks, masterful designer of such games as:

Dungeons & Dragons Attack Wing
Core Worlds
300: The Game
X-Men: Mutant Revolution (a reskin of someone else's Spartacus design)

This is going to based off the new movies, isn't it? TNG or bust.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Andarel posted:

Core Worlds doesn't suck if you buy the expansion, so that's something.

How "doesn't suck" are we talking here? I have the base game, I took it out and learned it like 2 years ago, and it seemed more bland than any space game I could remember, still haven't played it.

Do the expansions make it worth playing?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Andarel posted:

Base game is really bland. Galactic Orders makes it significantly less bland and makes the midgame a bit more interesting though endgame is still boring. I've gone on record plenty (I was on a dice tower podcast at one point complaining about how lovely Core Worlds is, hah) on how mediocre the mechanics of CW are, expansion adds new things that are definitely a bit thinkier and make synergistic cards actually feel synergistic.

With expansion it's solidly average, maybe a touch better if you like deckbuilders and attacking things in space. It's nowhere near the level of RftG but it's passably close in quality to EmDo (base game, at least).

Thanks for the explanation. I will definitely trade it away to the first person who wants it, unplayed.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Lord Frisk posted:

I sleeved twistrug. My rear end in a top hat friends bend cards and put them in their pockets.

That is insane. I don't let people riffle shuffle my cards and if anyone bends them they get told to cut it out immediately.

These games are expensive, don't tolerate that poo poo. If they persist, make them pay for the games or don't play with them.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Can we keep a tally in the OP for every time someone who thinks they're having fun is heroically corrected? It might keep out the riff raff who are busy enjoying themselves and starting to get dangerously interested in the hobby.

If we save even one person from playing one of [Sentinels, Munchkin, any number of other bad but "fun" games] even one more time in favor of playing a good AND fun game, your misdirected sarcasm will have been entirely worth it.

If this discussion about Sentinels had occurred two years ago it would have saved me a ton of money. I thought "cool, superheroes!" and started buying everything I could, kickstarting expansions, etc.

it took me a bunch of plays before I asked myself "what am I actually doing during this game?" and found the answer to be "waiting to see if I win." I might have had that conversation with myself much sooner if I'd read about it first.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

All this sentinels talk has me wondering - is Heroes Wanted any good?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Oldstench posted:

I love opening a game that I just bought, pulling the cards out of the shrinkwrap, and then riffle-shuffling the deck while looking deeply into the eyes of the resident anti-shuffling sperg at my FLGS.

By all means, man, it's your game, you do what you want.

But when we're playing my copy, you respect some simple rules or you play something else.

Never been an issue with anyone.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Rumda posted:

I played it a few months ago and no its not good. Every turn is like when in mage knight you draw no move .And your stuck with only the basic cards in your hand best case scenario you get a single predetermined card in your deck but still you'll accomplish nothing. I've literally had a better and more engaging experience playing Ascension and Thunderstone so that in its self should tell you how bad it is.

Thanks for this. I finally watched some videos on it and it's totally not for me.

Money: Saved!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Gonna spend two days next week with some friends playing Twilight Imperium, and none of us has played it before :getin:

Gonna stream it too

general opinion is that you should play it with at least Shattered Empires. if not that, at least find the role cards included there and use those over the base game cards.

Enjoy it, TI is an amazing experience.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

I couldnt find a copy of Shattered Empires but I was told that if I just make the Imperium card worth 1 instead of 2 then it was fine.

That lessens the strength of the move, but I'd still use the text from imperial 2:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

You sound like a lot of fun.

Giving an un-asked for and rude critique of a thing is not a public service. In the real world we call it "being a dick."

This isn't the real world, dude. It's the subforum of a comedy forum on the internet talking about pushing paper and wood around printed boards according to arbitrary rules.

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of, I'm playing Kemet for the first time tonight, what are some good newbie strategies?

I've only played it a couple times, but I cannot stress this enough: be aggressive. You can't turtle in Kemet and reasonably expect to win. You're meant to be fighting every couple turns.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

They also have thread favorite Earth Reborn, 2 left in stock at $40.

EDIT: and FFG's excellent Dune remake, Twilight Imperium: Rex.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The End posted:

Mall and city of horror are genuinely good, just not that well known

City of Horror is legit the best zombie game there is. that's faint praise, but it's an amazing game with 6.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Anyone have thoughts on Arkwright?

I bought it at the beginning of the year, but my copy didn't come with a player's guide in English, finally just received one in the mail from the publisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The End posted:

ftfy

Risk Legacy is a legit good game. Vanilla Risk is dogshit.

Risk: Legacy is orders of magnitude better than Risk.

However, whenever I played it, we played to engineer the scenarios that would cause crazy poo poo to happen. Then we oohed and aahed over the changes to the board and repeated for the next scenario.

the game itself wasn't that interesting, we just wanted to see what happened next. Thankfully it's short, but it's still Risk.